• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GAF: Upgrading my PC and need graphics card recommendations

FaintDeftone

Hey guys,

So right now I'm looking into upgrading my gaming PC. The system I currently have I built in 2010 and it has been very good to me, but right now I'm noticing that newer games are starting to perform a bit poorly and need more juice.

Currently I have:

AMD Phenom II X4 Black 3.4GHz
8GB PC 10666 RAM (4 2GB chips)
120GB SSD (for OS) and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm (for games)
700w Corsair Gaming PSU
AMD Radeon HD 7880 2GB PCI-E card
Windows 8.1 Pro

Again, this system still performs pretty well (I can run Alien Isolation at 1080p at 60fps) but some newer games are taking a hit. I'm sticking with AMD processors because they're cheaper, they've always given me good performance and I don't need the godliest of processors. I don't mind having to rebuild this PC again in a few years.

I'm about to order an ASUS motherboard and an AMD FX 8350 Black processor but I'm also looking into upgrading that Radeon HD 7880 graphics card.

What would be a solid upgrade to that card that isn't crazy expensive? I don't need a Titan X and I don't mind switching to NVIDIA. I want something that'll run current and upcoming games nicely but doesn't necessarily have to future-proof me the next 4 years or anything (if that is even possible).

I'm looking to spend no more than $500 and the processor/mobo will take about $300 of that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Corpekata

Banned
Are you planning to sell any of the old gear to improve your budget? Not close enough to a 970 yet but after selling some of the older stuff you might be able to fit it in.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think the GTX 960 might be in your budget. Or the AMD equivalent to it, not sure what it's called.

Top Bottom