• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Graphics Card Help GTX 650 vs 570

I had a question about two graphics cards. I used the build a PC thread about a year or two ago to build a PC and since I have built it I have not made any changes or updates to the hardware.

I am kind of forgetting what all the specs and such mean, but on newegg I saw that a EVGA card was on sale EVGA 02G-P4-2651-KR GeForce GTX 650 for 134.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...130830&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-130-830-_-Product

Below is the card that I currently own, the EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD which sells for 274.99

I was wondering why the older card would be more expensive. Does it have to do with the HDSC570 having SLI options?

EVGA 02G-P4-2651-KR GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

vs

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

darthbob

I have a 570.

The older card is more expensive because it isn't made anymore, and the stock you see, is the stock that exists, more or less.

I'd imagine the 570 is sill a more powerful card, to be honest.

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm having a similar dilemma. Looking at building a proper gaming machine in the new year, and I'm not sure whether or not to go with a 670 or fork out for a 680. Are the differences that noticeable for it to be worth the extra 100 quid or so?

I have a 570 and it's great. I usually game at 1080 so it's perfect for me. I was able to run Far cry 3 on full and dx11 but I limited the fps to 30. Worked like a dream.

TheExodu5

Banned
The first number represents the generation.

In your case, GTX 5xx.
In the case of the new card, GTX 6xx.

The second number represents the card's relative position in its generation. GTX 580 was the top, and GTX 570 was the second fastest single card in the GTX 5xx series. The GTX 650 has several cards above it: GTX 660, GTX 670, GTX 680. It's purely a midrange card.

When looking at video cards, always look up benchmarks. The numbers don't mean much.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, the 570 is more powerful than the 650. The digit in the tens place indicates power, while the digit in the hundreds place indicates the generation or wave of graphics cards -- generally, drastic changes aren't made generation to generation.

It's also pricier probably because it's no longer being made, like darthbob said.

[Edit] aaaaand beaten like a starving pit bull.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ah ok thanks GAF

So a good upgrade to the 570 is the 650? Any other superior cards?

He's saying the GTX 650 is a lot slower than the GTX 570. It's not an upgrade.

The only worthwhile upgrades from the GTX 570 are the GTX 670 or GTX 680.

GTX 660 is not worth the marginal upgrade.

Vossler

I'd imagine the 570 is sill a more powerful card, to be honest.

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm having a similar dilemma. Looking at building a proper gaming machine in the new year, and I'm not sure whether or not to go with a 670 or fork out for a 680. Are the differences that noticeable for it to be worth the extra 100 quid or so?

I had the same dilemma when upgrading from my 6950's (goodbye AMD drivers!). I wound up going with a really high clocked 670 - ASUS DCU II TOP Edition, and have never been happier. I don't think the 680 really justifies the $100 price premium over the 670.

Oh ok I see. I kind of got the 570 on a whim. Sounds like I lucked out when I did... It was around 500 when I got it about a year and a half or more ago.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
unless you're sweating frames or have a desire to live in the company of the elite, wait for the forthcoming generation. whatever nvidia/ati have cooking for next spring will set you up nicely for next gen multiplats with a little extra sauce.

PetrCobra

Sorry to steal the thread.

I'm planning on getting a 690 in a month or two anything for a similar price that out performs it??

It's insanely expensive (not worth it IMO) and I don't think you'll get anything faster right now.

Anyway, I was just helping to pick up a new PC on a component basis and 670 seems to be the sweet spot right now, in terms of power for money.

kswiston

It's insanely expensive (not worth it IMO) and I don't think you'll get anything faster right now.

Anyway, I was just helping to pick up a new PC on a component basis and 670 seems to be the sweet spot right now, in terms of power for money.

Even the 670 is expensive.

I just buy whatever is the best card at the time sitting around the $200 price point and upgrade every 2 years or so. On my 1080P 40' TV, I still get 60FPS at high-max settings out of most games using a GTX 560. Cards drop in price so quickly, that you are better off just upgrading more frequently than buying some uber card that most games don't really take advantage of. Unless you game at extremely high resolutions, or on multiple monitors of course.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sorry to steal the thread.

I'm planning on getting a 690 in a month or two anything for a similar price that out performs it??
I would wait until next year before dropping $1000 on a GPU. It will likely be outperformed by something that costs half as much.

Top Bottom