• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC History.

OmegaDL50

As a companion topic to the recent AMD and GPU head count thread.

I was curious if anyone remembers what their history of PC's they owned that could support a hardware graphics card and what their graphic card history was.

My first PC, I got back in around 1998

It had a AMD K6-2 at 300Mhz, I had 32MB of SDRAM, it had a 3GB HDD, graphic adapter was an ATI 3D Rage, and was on Windows 95. It lasted me like 4 months and died horribly due to some Phantom E Drive error as a result of Bios corruption and ultimately motherboard failure.

My 2nd PC was a eMonster 550, This was long before EMachines became known for shoddy crap. OS was Windows 98 SE.

The eMonster 550 had a Pentium III clocked at unsurprisingly 550Mhz, it had 128MB of SDRAM, a 15GB HDD, and it's graphics card was a Nvidia Riva TNT2.

My 3rd PC was a Dell Dimension 4100, the first PC I actually started to upgrade. I bought this not much long after the eMonster which I gave to my parents to use.

This thing lasted me nearly 7 years. It was a Pentium III 933Mhz, 256MB of Ram, 40GB HDD, graphic card was a GeForce 2 MX. I immediately got rid of the horrible Windows ME and upgraded to XP. The original hdd died and I upgraded it to a 60GB drive, and I upgraded the graphics card to a Radeon 9700 PRO.

My 4th PC was a eMachines W5233 which I used as an experiment to totally overhaul into something entirely else.

2009 archived discussion - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/566010-dice-de-chocobo/48353305

I guess I could say that 2007 W5233 I totally rebuilt in 2009 was my first true rebuild.

My 5th and current PC, I build in 2012 I built entirely from the ground up.

i5 3570k, 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 Ram, MSI Twin Frozr III Radeon HD7950 3GB GDDR5,

Graphics card history

ATI 3D Rage, Nvidia Riva TNT2, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX, ATI Radeon 9700 PRO, GeForce 8600GT, GeForce 9800GT, Radeon HD7950.

I plan to rebuilt again in late 2016 / early 2017 with the goal of Intel Skylake, Nvidia Pascal and DDR4 Ram,

I'm sure others here had PCs with discrete graphics cards far longer then me.

I don't intend this thread to be hardware gloat thread. I am merely curious about others PC histories.

I had several terrible PC. The eMonster and the W5233 for example were complete junk before I upgraded them....well sorta. and the Dell 4100 was shit and had GeForce 2 MX which was a horrible cut down version of the standard GeForce 2 line at the time. Good PCs, Great PCs, Terrible PCs, I'm curious what you had.

EDIT: DAMMIT, The Thread title was supposed to be "What is your PC History" I dun goofed.

Top Bottom