• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC makes high pitched beep sound and crashes while playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the topic says, my PC crashes when I play anything that makes my PC do a bit of work. It has also felt like my PC is a lot slower than it should be. I was playing Overlord on Low settings (because High and Medium lag me to death) and I hear this high pitched beep coming from my speakers, my keyboard is frozen... so is the game controller. So basically it's a sound and keyboard/mouse freeze.. but the game is still working. Of course I can't tab out or anything so I had to shut down.

Specs: AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1 GB DDR, Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZX

My friends keep talking about how amazing it is... wait, why the hell are we having this conversation? Way to derail the thread right from the start.

Overheating possibly? When's the last time you took a can of air to your case's insides?

"but the game is still working. Of course I can't tab out or anything so I had to shut down."

Oh, guess not. That's really weird.

Xdrive05

Almost certainly it's overheating. My NF7-s makes a siren sound, like a French police car when it overheats. All motherboards are different. Download a program called Motherboard Monitor and see what your temperature levels are when gaming and such.

Definitely take an air-compressor/can to the case like others suggested. Maybe even try turning up your fans, or even downclocking, if it persists.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sounds like your BIOS is possibly telling you "DANGER! DANGER!"

First thing I'd do is open the case up and clean it out with some compressed air. Overheating can be a bitch

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Nathan Barley said:
mine does something similar when it's about to run out of HD space...
Never heard of beep codes for low HD space, personally...

pnjtony

Could be overheating, could be spyware could be a virus. You can never be too careful. Might even be memory. Take it to Geek Squad and pay $300 for them to tell you

/sarcasm

LuCkymoON

Banned
After researching this a bit more, I believe you have a resource conflict and your soundcard is the culprit. Try to manually assign the IRQs that should fix the problem.

Amzin

It could be a resource conflict like Luckymoon says, but sounds a lot like what happened to me when my cpu was overheating. I took out the processor fan and video card, dusted them off/out thoroughly (Do this OUTSIDE! So much dust!), and it worked perfectly after that.

Update...

I got a new PSU and installed it, tried playing Counter-Strike: Source and started lagging badly after about 5 minutes or less... closed the game, my mouse pointer was super laggy... then my PC crashed and I had to restart.

Man, this is driving me nuts. It also happened when I watched a 720p video too. Anything that causes my PC to do a little more work than usual seems to mess it up.

Oh and I'm gonna check out what Luckymoon mentioned today, try to figure out how to do it... but.. if anyone else has any ideas I'd like to know those too.

Amzin said:
It could be a resource conflict like Luckymoon says, but sounds a lot like what happened to me when my cpu was overheating. I took out the processor fan and video card, dusted them off/out thoroughly (Do this OUTSIDE! So much dust!), and it worked perfectly after that.

I used a can of compressed air... no luck.

fart

Savant
i hate these threads. you have two options:

1) you can spend time and probably money learning how the pieces of your typical and particular PC haphazardly work together and perform lots of careful experimentation to figure out what the actual problem is

2) you can bring the compute to someone who has done the first part of #1 and is willing to do the second part of #1. note this is highly unlikely to be anyone who works at a store and will take your money.

3) you can give or sell everything you have to some other sucker and buy a computer from someone who will promise to be legally responsible for just outright replacing everything if it doesn't work for you.

computers don't fucking work. either you learn yourself to make them work or you pay someone to make them work for you. asking advice on internet forums is a waste of both your time and your money; not the magic bullet people seem to think they are.

fart said:
computers don't fucking work. either you learn yourself to make them work or you pay someone to make them work for you. asking advice on internet forums is a waste of both your time and your money; not the magic bullet people seem to think they are.

Get this: It seems to be working now.

Giant thanks to Luckymoon. I changed the location of my soundcard and it works like a charm now. I've done a huge amount of abuse (playing games that my PC definitely can't handle and loading tons of videos at once) and it doesn't crash at all. :D

Amzin

DarknessTear said:
Get this: It seems to be working now.

Giant thanks to Luckymoon. I changed the location of my soundcard and it works like a charm now. I've done a huge amount of abuse (playing games that my PC definitely can't handle and loading tons of videos at once) and it doesn't crash at all. :D

Glad to hear that you got it working. My resource conflicts always give me a rather noticeable error message, so that's why I was dubious, but it's not a bad idea to clean your computer anyway :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
where do those beep things come from anyhow? i got them on my old computer that didn't even have speakers

miyuru

fart said:
i hate these threads. you have two options:

1) you can spend time and probably money learning how the pieces of your typical and particular PC haphazardly work together and perform lots of careful experimentation to figure out what the actual problem is

2) you can bring the compute to someone who has done the first part of #1 and is willing to do the second part of #1. note this is highly unlikely to be anyone who works at a store and will take your money.

3) you can give or sell everything you have to some other sucker and buy a computer from someone who will promise to be legally responsible for just outright replacing everything if it doesn't work for you.

Did computers and internet forums run over your dog or something?

I came home from work the other day and my computer was doing the beeping thing. I looked inside the case and a heatsink/fan fell off. :lol

I'm now have the side of my case off and I replaced it with my fan. I've been meaning get a new computer, and this is as good of time as any.

Ashodin

my computer beeped loudly when something was hanging out of its socket - so your soundcard might not have been seated correctly in the first place.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I've had this happen before. Most recently, it was a driver issue. I rolled back to the previous Nvidia driver, and it stopped. It also happened 2 years ago when I overclocked my CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom