• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Upgrade-AGE. Please rate my new PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGamer

I finally purchased a new PC. I consider myself a pretty heavy user in theory, especially over the past few years since I do video editing/compression/converting, but my last few PCs have been pretty crappy so i've always been on machines far below my actual usage preferences.

Before Feb. 2006, I was on a pitiful PentiumIII 500MHz with 384MB of PC133 SDRAM(upgraded from 128MB). In Feb '06, it died suddenly, and I was in no financial position to get a new one on my own...I got the cheapest Dell I could get, which is what i'm currently on. These are the specs:

Dell Dimension B110

Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz

512MB DDR PC3200 RAM(Upgraded from the 256MB Base Spec)

40GB Internal Harddrive(I also have 320GB and 500GB USB 2.0 External Harddrives)

Intel 82865G Graphics 96MB

16x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM(also added a second 16x DVD-RW DL NEC drive)

6 USB 2.0 ports(2 front, 4 rear), and I added an internal Firewire card(3 ports) since I needed it for my MiniDV camcorder

Windows XP Home SP3

For the time, and for the price($299 base, $100 for the added RAM, $48 for the DVD Burner from newegg), it was an extremely decent computer, especially since i'm not a PC gamer. I could play 720p HD WMV/MP4 videos at a good bitrate without it crawling to a slideshow(1080p of course, would crawl). However, I like to push my system, but i can't run too many programs at once, web browsing is now extremely media-rich, hogging up my limited RAM and slowing performance, and video encoding, even DVD authoring, can be a multi-hour, resource hogging pain in the ass.

Here's the specs for the new PC, which should ship around Feb. 25th. My main focus was CPU power and RAM...since my last PC was an emergency stop-gap, I wanted to max out those areas as much as i could.

Dell Studio XPS

Intel Core i7-920 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)

12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMM(System's Max Capacity)

640GB Internal 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB

16X CD/DVD burner

8 USB 2.0 ports(4 front, 4 rear), 2 Firewire(1 rear, 1 front)

Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Looks like it should be a pretty significant upgrade, though i've never used Vista so i'm not sure how much of a resource hog it'll be. I'm pretty excited to see the performance boost due to a much faster hard drive, a beefy quad-core CPU, and an assload of RAM(faster, and 24x more of it!!!).

So how good of a setup is this? Also, even though I don't plan to play many PC games, i'm still curious, how decent a gaming machine do you expect it to be? Crysis is the measuring app of choice it seems...how well could this machine run it at modest resolution and effects settings? How good of a graphics card is the ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB? How much will it help with video decoding and encoding tasks? Also, any particular tweaks or programs, including anything optimized for i7 or quad-core architectures in general, that I should check out to really make this machine sing? I feel like i'm about to move from a shoebox apartment to a mansion! Thanks for the feedback.

zoku88

4670 Isn't very good. You paid so much for that rig (probably) and it's really overkill in some regards (12GB) that I don't really see why you actually skimped on the gfx card.

Especially since good Radeons are pretty cheap (~200)

The computer is more than good enough for every other thing, though.

OmniGamer

zoku88 said:
4670 Isn't very good. You paid so much for that rig (probably) and it's really overkill in some regards (12GB) that I don't really see why you actually skimped on the gfx card.

Especially since good Radeons are pretty cheap (~200)

The computer is more than good enough for every other thing, though.

I hear you...as i said, i'm not really much of a PC gamer(read: at all), so it's pretty much just there as part of the base config. I went to the max for the RAM because a lot of my usage is RAM intensive and after years and years of always being RAM-starved, i just wanted to say screw it and max it out without having to worry about upgrading. With that much headroom, by the time i'll ever need more than 12GB of RAM, i'll need a new computer anyway most likely.

zoku88

OmniGamer said:
I hear you...as i said, i'm not really much of a PC gamer(read: at all), so it's pretty much just there as part of the base config. I went to the max for the RAM because a lot of my usage is RAM intensive and after years and years of always being RAM-starved, i just wanted to say screw it and max it out without having to worry about upgrading. With that much headroom, by the time i'll ever need more than 12GB of RAM, i'll need a new computer anyway most likely.
I know what you mean, but DDR3 RAM isn't so cheap right now. I would've gotten 6GB for now and only really upgrade until you actually need more.

You could used the money you saved to actually be something likea 4850 (which doesn't cost much) and pocket the rest. And then buy the other 6GB sometime in the future.

Although, it looks like you have money to burn anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

OmniGamer

zoku88 said:
Although, it looks like you have money to burn anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Just this once ;-)

Zhuk said:
Don't buy Dell, build it youself!! if you can put lego together, you can build a computer

There was a time a few years back when I did some research into building my PC, read some tutorials, saw the pics, priced the components on newegg, etc. I know it's cheaper...but that was back in the early P4 days, and I really haven't been very versed in the hardware world since. Hell, I was pretty much just reading up on the dual-core/quad-core stuff when all of a sudden i see the i7. I haven't followed the CPU roadmaps since my casual AnandTech browsing days a few years ago. So while I probably could build it if i committed myself to it, i can't really see myself doing that right now, so i'd feel pretty clueless and overwhelmed. Motherboard this, heatsink that...and it doesn't help that I have a short-fuse when it comes to dealing with electronics("WORK DAMN IT! HULK SMASH!). I just wanted to open the box and sink my teeth in.

Fireblend

Banned
RAM overkill, and I definitely would have spent on a better GPU considering it seems budget is not an issue; it really seems nonsensical to get all that power and put such a lowlimit to your graphics.

bardia

Cut the ram in half, 12GB is massive overkill, and get a better video card or save the money or get a better/bigger monitor.

Xabora

OmniGamer said:
Dell Studio XPS

Intel Core i7-920 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)

12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMM(System's Max Capacity)

640GB Internal 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB

16X CD/DVD burner

8 USB 2.0 ports(4 front, 4 rear), 2 Firewire(1 rear, 1 front)

Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit
Things I would change:
Core it changed from 2.66 to 2.93.
Ram down to 6 or 12 gigs depending on cash flow
HDD is excellent, but I normally have 2. 1 for OS, another for games thats higher performance.
I would have opted for a better video card and knocked the ram down some unless you plan on upgrading later on.
CD/DVD, ok... no need for a Blu-Ray Drive atm.
Ports Ports Ports Ports!

zoku88

Xabora said:
Things I would change:
Core it changed from 2.66 to 2.93. Would NOT do this. An i7 is probably more than you need right now and the 920 and 960 will become obsolete at about the same time anyway.
Ram down to 6 or 12 gigs depending on cash flow would do this
HDD is excellent, but I normally have 2. 1 for OS, another for games thats higher performance.He doesn't really care that much about games, so I wouldn't really do this

That's just what I think.

aznpxdd

OmniGamer said:
Just this once ;-)

There was a time a few years back when I did some research into building my PC, read some tutorials, saw the pics, priced the components on newegg, etc. I know it's cheaper...but that was back in the early P4 days, and I really haven't been very versed in the hardware world since. Hell, I was pretty much just reading up on the dual-core/quad-core stuff when all of a sudden i see the i7. I haven't followed the CPU roadmaps since my casual AnandTech browsing days a few years ago. So while I probably could build it if i committed myself to it, i can't really see myself doing that right now, so i'd feel pretty clueless and overwhelmed. Motherboard this, heatsink that...and it doesn't help that I have a short-fuse when it comes to dealing with electronics("WORK DAMN IT! HULK SMASH!). I just wanted to open the box and sink my teeth in.

Building a computer now is the exact same thing as it was 3-4 years ago. Just visit the PC thread on the gaming side for hardware advice.

OmniGamer

WickedAngel said:
0 out of 10 for spec whoring.

Spec whoring, really? That's what i'm doing? With the lowest spec i7 (the next one up was almost $500(!) more for what is seemingly just a modest increase in clock speed), and without changing the graphics card to their highest ATI card option? No Blu-Ray reader or burner(both options were there). Hell, it's a sub-1TG hard drive as well. I'm not whoring anything other my anticipation of finally being on a machine that doesn't lag behind my intentions and needs for it.

As for the actual helpful replies and suggestions, thanks, much appreciated. Regarding the RAM, yes, I considered just going for 6GB now and upgrading later, but with my shakey finances, and with the economy the way it is(which has a direct impact on my income), I decided to take my recent monetary blessing and do with it what i can now while i can, because for me, sometimes "later" never comes. By the time I actually do get the funds for something, it usually has to go towards something more urgent and important, and the "upgrade later" stuff gets swept under the rug.

There's also the question of "Upgrade or New?". For instance, with my current PC, the RAM max is 2GB, and I had planned on upgrading to that, but then it became an issue of "should I spend the money on just a RAM upgrade, which may or may not give a palpable performance boost, or should I put it towards a new computer".

Again, i'm not a PC Gamer, I was just curious where the card stood since it's "there". The fact that it appears to be kinda "meh" doesn't bother me ;-). Thanks for the feedback.

OmniGamer said:
Spec whoring, really? That's what i'm doing? With the lowest spec i7 (the next one up was almost $500(!) more for what is seemingly just a modest increase in clock speed), and without changing the graphics card to their highest ATI card option? No Blu-Ray reader or burner(both options were there). Hell, it's a sub-1TG hard drive as well. I'm not whoring anything other my anticipation of finally being on a machine that doesn't lag behind my intentions and needs for it.

The lowest spec i7 is still on the upper echelon of what can be purchased on a consumer level today and anyone who knows anything about computers is aware of it.

"Please rate my PC!" is proof enough of spec whoring; there isn't much else that could be intended. You're not concerned about questions of compatibility because this is a pre-fab system and the only real question is whether or not your e-cock should be this big or this big.

Why does RAM matter? just out of curiosity, I have a intel duo 2.11 ghz, 3 gigs of ram, and a Nvidia 8600 GTS, would more RAM help my computer run something like
PCSX2 better? because right now it runs like crap

OmniGamer

WickedAngel said:
The lowest spec i7 is still on the upper echelon of what can be purchased on a consumer level today and anyone who knows anything about computers is aware of it.

Exactly why I opted to get it...I want something that is going to suit my performance needs for now, and for the near future. My current "stop-gap" emergency replacement PC that i've been on for the past 3 years now is barely getting the job done as is, and soon I plan to deal with encoding at HD resolutions and at a high bit rate. I don't like to stop-gap, and i don't like to do a bunch of upgrades...i was in a position to strike while the iron is hot just now, so i did, so I will have plenty of headroom for my needs for the next little while.

"Please rate my PC!" is proof enough of spec whoring; there isn't much else that could be intended. You're not concerned about questions of compatibility because this is a pre-fab system and the only real question is whether or not your e-cock should be this big or this big.

"Rate my x" is a standard title component for these type of threads. Look, i've been on this forum for over 10 years...there's no way i'd try to do any type of pissing contest unless I were to win the lottery or something. A cursory glance at any type of "Post your DVD/Blu-Ray/Videogame/Comicbook/Music" collection thread on here shows that there are plenty of people on here with financial means far beyond my own, so who exactly am I "showing off" to?

Raistlin

I came in here to state how your old PC is still better than mine. I'm quite surprised to find out it actually isn't.

x3sphere

The HD4670 is a decent card. It may not fall in line with the rest of his specs but it'll run any game out there on high settings, including Crysis. As such, it's more than powerful enough to run Vista / Windows 7 with all the snazzy desktop effects enabled. Overall it's a good machine, the 12GB RAM is overkill in my opinion but if you had the money to blow on it why not.

OmniGamer

Onix said:
I came in here to state how your old PC is still better than mine. I'm quite surprised to find out it actually isn't.

Curious, what is your PC setup?

x3sphere said:
The HD4670 is a decent card. It may not fall in line with the rest of his specs but it'll run any game out there on high settings, including Crysis. As such, it's more than powerful enough to run Vista / Windows 7 with all the snazzy desktop effects enabled. Overall it's a good machine, the 12GB RAM is overkill in my opinion but if you had the money to blow on it why not.

Thanks man, this is the kind of objective feedback I was looking for. I'll probably have more specific OS related questions if need be when I actually get the computer.

OmniGamer

Quick question...my new PC shipped early and may be here tomorrow(or early next week). As much as I can't wait to get the new comp, I dread having to "break in" the new computer. It's like Homer Simpsons and his couch ass-grove. How easy will it be to transfer program preferences/settings from my old PC to the new one? Does Vista have something built-in for that? This is my first time having an old computer that's still functional when moving to a new one(my previous one flat-out died, so there was nothing to transfer).

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Building your own computer is the easiest thing in the world. Really. I built my first one in 45 minutes.

Really should of built it yourself, and the 4670 is a fail, doesnt matter since your not much of a gamer though.

EDIT: Wait wat, why in gods name is there 12 jigabytes of mem? :lol

EDIT: should read further down. Still way overkill, though I feel your frustration of "its outdated next week", thats just the business of computers.

Im a computa. Stop all the downloadin.

OmniGamer

StoOgE said:
Building your own computer is the easiest thing in the world. Really. I built my first one in 45 minutes.

I'm sure...but the same could also be said for building a piece of furniture or cooking a fancy meal...some people just prefer the convenience of Buy>Get>Enjoy.

Anywho, is there some kind of simple settings/preferences migration tool? Or am I going to have to somehow export these settings on a per program basis, and/or do something messy like try to figure out each program's config file on my old computer and copy&paste those to the new program's folders on the new computer? That would be really tedious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom