• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Perhaps) Quick and Easy PS2 Questions

So I just got a new replacement PS2 (screw the PStwo, I found brand new older models at the local Best Buy) and have some questions.

I have the 5,000 series model, which came in the blue box and had a yellow plus in the corner. Before I had a model that was purchased in late 2001. First off, besides the loss of the Firewire port, built in infa-red for the remote, and ability to play DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, are there any other outstanding features?

WIll my older DVD remote work? Will I still need that plug that was necessary on the older unit? Where is the IR port anyhow? Can I just chuck the CD that came with it?

Has anyone had any issue with this model, or did Sony get things right this time around?

FortNinety said:
I have the 5,000 series model, which came in the blue box and had a yellow plus in the corner. Before I had a model that was purchased in late 2001. First off, besides the loss of the Firewire port, built in infa-red for the remote, and ability to play DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, are there any other outstanding features?

As mentioned, 480p DVD support, reduced noise, and basically the latest DVD-drivers built in. So if you have that huge 2MB+ driver file on your memory card, feel free to delete it.

WIll my older DVD remote work? Will I still need that plug that was necessary on the older unit? Where is the IR port anyhow? Can I just chuck the CD that came with it?

Sony has some printed warnings that some version of the DVD remote might not work, but I'm using the original one (no power button) without problems. Since IR port functionality is built in, yeah, your remote CD is useless.

Has anyone had any issue with this model, or did Sony get things right this time around?

Yes, this is basically the equivalent of the Red-stripe-box PS1. Low noise, low heat, not screwing up on games, not hammering your memory card with drivers...I've owned the unit for quite some time now and it is definitely better than the launch model.

Link316

Banned
the 50001 is also alot lighter

I think Sony and universal DVD remotes work on it too but I haven't tried that yet

Crazymoogle said:
Sony has some printed warnings that some version of the DVD remote might not work, but I'm using the original one (no power button) without problems. Since IR port functionality is built in, yeah, your remote CD is useless.

I had heard about the version with a power remote. I just might scope that one out...

Alright, been using the new PS2 for a few days now... everything is fine. But what is the deal with all the noise when playing blue discs? Are all 50001 models like this? Should I be worried?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
FortNinety said:
Alright, been using the new PS2 for a few days now... everything is fine. But what is the deal with all the noise when playing blue discs? Are all 50001 models like this? Should I be worried?
Nah I wouldn't worry. The PS2 just spins cd games(blue bottom) really fast.

Defensor said:
Nah I wouldn't worry. The PS2 just spins cd games(blue bottom) really fast.

Cool. I always heard of there being a noise problem with blue discs, but I just wanted to make sure that there's no chance of damage or anything.

Alright, another question. With my old PS2, I used to swap the power cord between it and my PlayStation (not PSOne), which saved room on my power strip. Is it cool to still do the same with the 50001? Are there any concerns regarding the voltage I should be aware of? Can I safely use the power cord that came with the new PS2 on my PlayStation?

Top Bottom