• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

Now, if you had said Yukari, then you'd be right. Because Koromaru is an infinitely better character than Yukari will ever hope to be.

Now, if you had said Yukari, then you'd be right. Because Koromaru is an infinitely better character than Yukari will ever hope to be.

beb.gif
beb.gif

CorvoSol

You guys why can't I learn faster? Been studying all month and I'm still not a genius.

EDIT: AWW YISS PATCHED IT UP WITH NERD GIRL AFRAID OF BOYS! Girlfriends in this game count goes up to 3.

Girlfriends in real life is 0.

Sharing Yukiko's personality traits myself, I take offense to this! We have plenty of personality when we're not laughing uncontrollably.....

Sorry if I offended you, what I meant was that compared to everyone else she isn't the most in depth character in Persona 4 aside form Yu (silent protagonist).

CorvoSol

Guys Ken sounds like a bird. I'm sorry but it's really hard not to imagine he's like, a cockatoo or a parrot or something whenever I come into the dorm and he's like "HERRO! HELLO! CRAAAAAAAAAAAACKER?"

Sophia

I give it ten more minutes and TheTrueSelf will be a long with a significantly detailed post about why you're wrong. >.>;

Acid08

Banned
Oh, now, that's not entirely true.

You know a bit more than that about Yukiko and Kanji's families. Specifically you know that Yukiko's mom is overworked and you know a fair bit about Kanji's mom's personality from what Kanji says about her, about how she's a patient, hard-working woman who had to raise a rough and tumble son after her husband died.

It's not MUCH, I warrant, but it is somewhat more than the little you've mentioned. The overall point is right, though. P3 talks way more about parents and pasts than P4.

The reason P4x probably doesn't talk about olpasts though is because nobody in P4 has a very interesting past, so to speak. While Kanji and Naoto have lost parents, pretty much the whole party comes from relatively normal, healthy families.

Not like P3's circus of orphans.
Okay, literally nothing was a bit hyperbolic. But when "her mom is overworked" is the only specific example given, it really isn't too far off.

You're right though, it's likely none of them have very interesting stories. I wish they had given more insight into Rise's past.

CorvoSol

Daggum it Pharos, quit creeping on FeMC. QUIT IT.

Okay, literally nothing was a bit hyperbolic. But when "her mom is overworked" is the only specific example given, it really isn't too far off.

You're right though, it's likely none of them have very interesting stories. I wish they had given more insight into Rise's past.

Well tbh I can't even remember ever seeing Yukiko's dad, so you don't know MUCH about her family, but there's more than "lit. nothin'." Not much more, you're right, but still more than Chie's "my folks want a new TV!"

MFW I REALIZE THE MATH TEACHER IS A WOMAN HALF-WAY THROUGH THE GAME.

CorvoSol

Koro you narc, you can't be ratting out bros like Shinji just cuz you want to score with the robot girl. C'mon, man. I know you're all "She's the only one here who really understands me!" but repeat after me, Koro: "Bros before Robos."

EDIT: OH GOD MITSURU YOU KNOW THERE IS A CAMERA IN YOUR ROOM AND IKUTSUKI AND ANYONE CAN WATCH WHAT IT RECORDS YOU CAN'T BE LAX IN THIS ROOM GIRL.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think you're misremembering things considering that you actually do have some dialogue with Kanji's mom as well as Kanji always returning to his family as the root of his mental holdups. Yosuke's individual family members no, but you do learn about them as a unit a fair bit through context.

This is a bit of what I meant.

Sure the past isn't there, but you do learn something, albeit very little, about their families.

PK Gaming

Daggum it Pharos, quit creeping on FeMC. QUIT IT.

Well tbh I can't even remember ever seeing Yukiko's dad, so you don't know MUCH about her family, but there's more than "lit. nothin'." Not much more, you're right, but still more than Chie's "my folks want a new TV!"

MFW I REALIZE THE MATH TEACHER IS A WOMAN HALF-WAY THROUGH THE GAME.

OH MY GOD, YOU TOO?

I mean her name is Ms. Miyahara, but I never noticed because her afro / buck teeth distracted me.

We're terrible people.

CorvoSol

OH MY GOD, YOU TOO?

I mean her name is Ms. Miyahara, but I never noticed because her afro / buck teeth distracted me.

We're terrible people.

The fact that, old lady and Kashiwagi aside, she's the first woman in the game to not be hilariously gorgeous made me assume she was a dude.

EDIT: DAMMIT Yukari I like Tulips don't make fun of me!

LX_Theo

Banned
I think you're misremembering things considering that you actually do have some dialogue with Kanji's mom as well as Kanji always returning to his family as the root of his mental holdups. Yosuke's individual family members no, but you do learn about them as a unit a fair bit through context.

I remember some noteable actions of Yosuke's father throughout the game (including nighttime hang-out sessions). I remember one specifically where Yosuke questioned his father's judgement on advertising with some new promotion. I felt as though I got at least a vague idea of what his father was like through all of it.

Dantis

Yeah, P4 doesn't focus on the families at all. Honestly, I liked that more.

I don't want them to focus on families, but I do wish they existed beyond more than a concept. I feel like it was a deliberate decision to not include them, as doing so would undermine a character's maturity, but I think I'd be okay with that. Kanji's mother is the only one with any real presence, and her role in the game is to undermine perceptions of Kanji.

I think the families could still be present, just to a very small extent.

I remember some noteable actions of Yosuke's father throughout the game (including nighttime hang-out sessions). I remember one specifically where Yosuke questioned his father's judgement on advertising with some new promotion. I felt as though I got at least a vague idea of what his father was like through all of it.

I still haven't seen any of the night conversations, so this is pretty interesting to me.

Did you not do Yukiko's SLink? Her Slink lends her plenty of depth.

I would like to hear of this depth, because I do not believe there is any.

Zebetite

Banned
That's too bad?

Anyway this here October boss is utter bullshit. "OH HERE PLS ENJOY BEING ENRAGED AND NOW MINUS 200 HP AHAHAHA."

Fuck whoever designed this fight.

Since all of the Arcana bosses had seemed so hilariously easy up to that point, I didn't even bother saving before that one.

I got some really, really, really bad luck.

I had to restart from my save from right after I beat Hermit.

Lunar15

I don't want them to focus on families, but I do wish they existed beyond more than a concept. I feel like it was a deliberate decision to not include them, as doing so would undermine a character's maturity, but I think I'd be okay with that. Kanji's mother is the only one with any real presence, and her role in the game is to undermine perceptions of Kanji.

I think the families could still be present, just to a very small extent.

I'm always open minded. I think that as long as something services the theme, it belongs in the story. Just do it well.

I enjoyed the P4 "issues" since they were actually a little less dramatic, and therefore a tad more relatable. P3's all made sense with the core themes of that game, and I'm sure that if I had situations like any of theirs, it would have resonated a little more.

I thought the October boss was pretty easy when I played the game haha. I forgot how that roulette wheel works but I'm pretty sure I never had anything negative happen to me.

CorvoSol

I thought the October boss was pretty easy when I played the game haha. I forgot how that roulette wheel works but I'm pretty sure I never had anything negative happen to me.

Now that I've looked it up and practiced a bit, it isn't so bad. But man, that first go against the boss leveled me.

EDIT:

P3P October 4th

Ken is literally Hope Estheim. I can't decide if this ONLY makes FF13 look worse, or if it reflects terribly on P3 as well.

Dantis

I'm always open minded. I think that as long as something services the theme, it belongs in the story. Just do it well.

I enjoyed the P4 "issues" since they were actually a little less dramatic, and therefore a tad bit more relatable. P3's all made sense with the core themes of that game, and I'm sure that if I had situations like any of theirs, it would have resonated a little more.

Sure, I agree with this. I could empathize with a lot of characters in P4, but pretty much none in P3.

I reeeeeeeelly empathized with Junpei in P3, as well as Kanji and Naoki (retroactively) in P4. Other than them, most characters were very different from me.

PK Gaming

I'm pretty sure most of the guys here could empathize with Junpei (and Yosuke by extension)

I mean his character concept is literally:

That guy you knew in high school who has his own set of insecurities, such as wanting to feel loved by others.

Lunar15

I'm pretty sure most of the guys here could empathize with Junpei (and Yosuke by extension)

I mean his character concept is literally:

That guy you knew in high school who has his own set of insecurities, such as wanting to feel loved by others.

But I'm good at everything and loved by everyone.

I'm Yu.

CorvoSol

P3P October 4th

If anyone ever asks, Ken included, regardless of whether or not I'm cynical jackass Makoto or kind and energetic Clara, I WISH KEN HAD DIED INSTEAD OF SHINJIRO.

J0a60HU.gif

Oh, you want to discuss what to do with Ken, Mitsuru? Well how about we LYNCH THE LITTLE FUCKER, HUH? OR MAYBE DRAW AND QUARTER THE SHIT? NO? WHY DON'T WE FLAY THIS SICK BASTARD ALIVE AND MAKE HIM EAT HIS FUCKING SKIN. You're a mobster, aren't you, Mitsuru? CEMENT SHOES WILL DO NICE FOR HIM.

Namatame? Namatame WHO. Here's a little bastard I would kill AND NEVER THINK TWICE ABOUT EVER.

Zebetite

Banned
You didn't save for an entire month? I save every day!

It was during the summer and all I was doing was working two days a week. The rest of my days were spent playing Persona 3 virtually all day until I beat it. Despite having as much free time as I did, I also didn't want to waste any of it waiting for the save menu stuff to read/write! So I did that whole month in a day, then lost that entire day, then re-did it a few days later.

Edit @ Corvo: It begins. IT BEGINS.

PK Gaming

P3P October 4th

If anyone ever asks, Ken included, regardless of whether or not I'm cynical jackass Makoto or kind and energetic Clara, I WISH KEN HAD DIED INSTEAD OF SHINJIRO.

J0a60HU.gif

Oh, you want to discuss what to do with Ken, Mitsuru? Well how about we LYNCH THE LITTLE FUCKER, HUH? OR MAYBE DRAW AND QUARTER THE SHIT? NO? WHY DON'T WE FLAY THIS SICK BASTARD ALIVE AND MAKE HIM EAT HIS FUCKING SKIN. You're a mobster, aren't you, Mitsuru? CEMENT SHOES WILL DO NICE FOR HIM.

Namatame? Namatame WHO. Here's a little bastard I would kill AND NEVER THINK TWICE ABOUT EVER.

Haha holy shit >.>

Yes, then do the post S-Link event.

I think that's optional

Top Bottom