• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Mononoke

Banned
So, I've said this in the Anime thread before. But as I've gotten into Anime, I've slowly been showing my family Anime stuff too. It was easy getting them to watch Ghibli stuff. But I eventually got them to watch crazier stuff like Shingeki no Kyojin, Steins; Gate etc. I was thinking of maybe showing them the Persona 4 Anime.

Thing is, I've seen this twice now. And I know it's not perfect. I love it obviously, since I'm a huge fan of the series. But one thing I wonder is, does the Anime really expect the viewer to have played the game? Do they cut too many corners in the story telling, that it would be baffling to just show someone? Keep in mind, they've never heard of Persona, let alone even played the game. I think they would like it, even as a base story. I think it's coherent enough. Oh boy, the Kanji + Rise segment is going to be awkward lol

wmlk

So, I've said this in the Anime thread before. But as I've gotten into Anime, I've slowly been showing my family Anime stuff too. It was easy getting them to watch Ghibli stuff. But I eventually got them to watch crazier stuff like Shingeki no Kyojin, Steins; Gate etc. I was thinking of maybe showing them the Persona 4 Anime.

Thing is, I've seen this twice now. And I know it's not perfect. I love it obviously, since I'm a huge fan of the series. But one thing I wonder is, does the Anime really expect the viewer to have played the game? Do they cut too many corners in the story telling, that it would be baffling to just show someone? Keep in mind, they've never heard of Persona, let alone even played the game. I think they would like it, even as a base story. I think it's coherent enough. Oh boy, the Kanji + Rise segment is going to be awkward lol

I've read accounts from a lot of people on the Internet on how they loved P4Animation without even knowing what the game was about. I think it does get a bit confusing later on, though. There's a ton of exposition with
Ameno-sagiri
and the last episode is simply a doozy for anyone. Give it a shot, I think. It's lighthearted enough and there's enough slapstick comedy that people should get a kick out of it. I personally loved it.

By the way, Samurai Champloo is also a great anime to show off. Just recently finished it. A very chill anime and one that I had an awesome time watching.

Mononoke

Banned
I've read accounts from a lot of people on the Internet on how they loved P4Animation without even knowing what the game was about. I think it does get a bit confusing later on, though. There's a ton of exposition with
Ameno-sagiri
and the last episode is simply a doozy for anyone. Give it a shot, I think. It's lighthearted enough and there's enough slapstick comedy that people should get a kick out of it. I personally loved it.

By the way, Samurai Champloo is also a great anime to show off. Just recently finished it. A very chill anime and one that I had an awesome time watching.

Thanks for the advice. You are right about the last episodes being confusing. I'll probably just explain it to them the best I can in simple terms when I get there. Also I've been meaning to check out Champloo. I'll make sure to watch that with them next after I show them this!

Zebetite

Banned
One day I'll meet a real, living & breathing, flesh & blood human being with whom I can talk mad Evangelion game with. One day.

Right?

hao chi

I've actually recommended Champloo to two people who hadn't watched anime before, and now they're anime fans.

Well there is always Cowboy Bebop, though if you do that I would start with Session #5 "Ballad of the Fallen Angels" and Session #6 "Sympathy for the Devil" and then go through the rest of the session in order #1-#26. Since they give off a good impression of what Cowboy Bebop is about.

Zebetite

Banned
Well there is always Cowboy Bebop, though if you do that I would start with Session #5 "Ballad of the Fallen Angels" and Session #6 "Sympathy for the Devil" and then go through the rest of the session in order #1-#26. Since they give off a good impression of what Cowboy Bebop is about.

I think starting with #5 doesn't give people a good chance to attach themselves to Spike, Jet and Faye. It's hard to care about what's happening in a critical episode if you have no real concept of who the characters are, or any attachment to them.

I think that episode in particular benefits from having had some time to get to know the characters a bit. It's early enough that you can still reasonably get around to it in one sitting if you make a bit of time for it, too.

Chet yo, draw a Labrys for Labrys Week PLS!!! :D

Fine, but just this once.
ll20Nar.png

Necrovex

Thanks for the advice. You are right about the last episodes being confusing. I'll probably just explain it to them the best I can in simple terms when I get there. Also I've been meaning to check out Champloo. I'll make sure to watch that with them next after I show them this!

You should sit down with your family and watch Kill la Kill, Bible Black, and Queen's Blade. ;-D

ll20Nar.png

Who knew toasts could be so cute?!

Again, I'm the exact same! People try and shove shows like Breaking Bad and Entourage and Doctor Who down my throat all the time. They're good, I get it.

But the moment I tell someone they should watch something like Psycho Pass or Attack on Titan or Gurren Lagann....

Well you get the idea.

You tell people to watch 2 of the worst anime out-there?! Shame on you!

(Hint: AoT is not one of them)

Yeah, when you have a time lord who uses a 60s era Police Box.

The Chameleon circuit was destroyed!

ll20Nar.png

(Y) Toasty.

Tiu Neo

Yeeessss, Naoto. So, only Marie, Elizabeth, Theo and Margaret left, right? Are they playable, or assists?

An then can we get some DAN, pleeease, Atlus?

FluxWaveZ

It's interesting to me that this piece of news is filed under "P4U2" on the Persona Channel and not "イベント" like the previous Taito P4U2 related news was. Seeing that it's been three months since the last time p-ch has had "P4U2" news, this might actually be something cool. I always thought that they'd be reserving any P4U2 news for after the Taito tournament grand finals, so maybe it'll be a console release date.

I can't help but feel they put these out early to troll Flux. :D

Nah, I haven't really been expecting new Persona Q character videos each Friday for a while now with their tendency to mix things up (PSC 3 weeks ago, 3DS XL news last week...). It does make you wonder why they'd randomly choose a Thursday this time and not Friday. Maybe they just don't give a crap, heh.

Or there's gonna be another set tomorrow.

Oh man, just beat the Reaper in FES. Brute forced him. Took me half an hour, but I did it. Probably would have been faster had I had a more favorable turn order--The Reaper's came right after the main character's, so he would revive himself every time I managed to paralyze him with the endless stream of Ziodynes I sent him.

But oh man, got a little tense once he started throwing out random Megidolans.

Dantis

I know it was in a previous trailer, because I distinctively remember the chord at the start. I don't actually care to dig through the trailers over it however.

I don't remember it being in any other trailer, so I think there's only one explanation.

You're psychic.

Is it possible to max both Aigis and Mitsuru's S.Links in FES? I'm looking at the remaining school days, and I don't know if it's actually possible. I want to say I've leveled Mitsuru's S.Link every single day I was able to and she's still at 6 and the third semester has just started. I leveled up Aigis once, so counting out there are thirteen more S.Link levels between the two and only thirteen days left of school proper, assuming I actually get to S.Link all of those school days...

Am I interpreting this right? This seems absurd.

EDIT: I may be miscounting the school days left, I think I forgot Saturdays. That still seems absurd though.

Acid08

Banned
Is it possible to max both Aigis and Mitsuru's S.Links in FES? I'm looking at the remaining school days, and I don't know if it's actually possible. I want to say I've leveled Mitsuru's S.Link every single day I was able to and she's still at 6 and the third semester has just started. I leveled up Aigis once, so counting out there are thirteen more S.Link levels between the two and only thirteen days left of school proper, assuming I actually get to S.Link all of those school days...

EDIT: I may be miscounting the school days left, I think I forgot Saturdays. That still seems absurd though.
You definitely can.

kewlmyc

It's possible to max everyone in a single playthrough. You just need a strict schedule. You don't have enough time for both, so focus on Mitsuru since she's closest to done. Any day Mitsuru isn't available, find Aigis.

Mononoke

Banned
AoT has a ton of problems though. And I like the show!

You need to tell people to watch Fate/zero and Madoka Magica!

Agreed about AoT. I really like it, but I think it has a lot of flaws. Although strangely, it seems to be a show that is VERY easy to get people hooked on. I guess the high dramatic elements (the music, the way they do the action), gets people roped in quickly. SO it seems to be a pretty good anime to show people.

ANYWAYS, I just beat Persona 4 Golden last night. And put some work into FES. I think I'll beat FES pretty soon. I was wondering, is it worth going back and playing P3P again as the female protagonist? Does it offer enough new stuff to make it worth it? Maybe I should wait until Summer and do it then (so I put some distance between this play through of FES).

It's possible to max everyone in a single playthrough. You just need a strict schedule. You don't have enough time for both, so focus on Mitsuru since she's closest to done. Any day Mitsuru isn't available, find Aigis.
Yeah, that's what I planned on. And now that I'm looking at the calendar again, I did miscount days, I have a few more than I thought, I tend to forget Japanese kids go to school on Saturdays.

Gazoinks

Agreed about AoT. I really like it, but I think it has a lot of flaws. Although strangely, it seems to be a show that is VERY easy to get people hooked on. I guess the high dramatic elements (the music, the way they do the action), gets people roped in quickly. SO it seems to be a pretty good anime to show people.

ANYWAYS, I just beat Persona 4 Golden last night. And put some work into FES. I think I'll beat FES pretty soon. I was wondering, is it worth going back and playing P3P again as the female protagonist? Does it offer enough new stuff to make it worth it? Maybe I should wait until Summer and do it then (so I put some distance between this play through of FES).

I'd definitely go for the female protag route once you finish FES. There's a significant amount of new S.Links, along with some other changes, and they're a bit more consistent than the ones in FES. More experienced team and such.

Probably a good idea to not do it immediately though, don't want to get burned out.

Top Bottom