• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Jintor

Smash bros and bayo 2 are my 'buy' tickers for wii u as well.

i don't really have any 'must-have' games on xbone or ps4, nothing on the horizon that's platform exclusive anyway. Guessing i won't get one for a few years

Lunar15

I have a rule: I won't buy a system until there are 3 original (not-ports) games for the system that I absolutely want. Then from there it's waiting for price drops or bundle deals.

I waited over a year to get a Wii U, and God knows when I'll get a PS4.

It's gonna be a rough gen for consoles.

Dantis

But in waiting for exclusives, surely you're missing out on potentially amazing multiplatform games too? What about Witcher 3? Or Arkham Knight? They're not exclusive, but they're still amazing games you can't play on the current gen.

Necrovex

But in waiting for exclusives, surely you're missing out on potentially amazing multiplatform games too? What about Witcher 3? Or Arkham Knight? They're not exclusive, but they're still amazing games you can't play on the current gen.

The magic of PC gaming is sweet.

I'll get a PS4 in 2017.

Lunar15

There are a lot, lot, lot of problems with playing ports of console games on PC.

Silly Dantis, that's what Durante is for.

I didn't say exclusives, I just meant no ports, as in HD remakes of previous gen games. For example, P4G was not a deciding factor in me getting a vita. I haven't even touched Golden yet. Instead, I jumped in when I realized I wanted Ys, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, and Dragon's Crown. Got it on a huge price drop too, so I'm happy. It took waiting until Pikmin, Mario, W101, and Donkey Kong (which was unfortunately delayed) for me to grab a Wii U, and once again I was able to snag it at a much better price.

However, more and more multiplatform games are going PC, and thankfully my rig is up to task.

Meia

There are a lot, lot, lot of problems with playing ports of console games on PC.

...not really from my experience. You have some bad ports like Dark Souls(that thanks to Neogaf was fixed in like a day), but not really that common. In terms of games we know about this year, Watch Dogs will be on everything(and may or may not be good, who knows anymore), Titanfall is only on Xbox AND PC, so yeah. I.....don't know of even what else is coming out this year, which is kind of jarring to think about.

Sadly a lot of Japanese games are missing from PC, but this is starting to be less and less the case every year, which is nice. Honestly, it's the main reason why Sony is probably going to be the only newer console I buy, since I can't see much in the way of Xbox One JPN support.

The 3 exclusive thing is a nice idea, and if you do a bundle you can always pre-order at a gamestop, and put a little bit of money on it at a time until it comes out instead of throwing a lump sum at it. Of course, if that Atlus P5 announcement said PS4, I'd imagine there'd be a lot more of us that had one at the moment. :p

What shocks me is the PC I built 3 years ago is still able to play anything that comes out at a really good level. Figured I'd have to upgrade by now when I built my first PC then.

Dantis

I didn't say exclusives, I just meant no ports, as in HD remakes of previous gen games. For example, P4G was not a deciding factor in me getting a vita. I haven't even touched Golden yet. Instead, I jumped in when I realized I wanted Ys, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, and Dragon's Crown. Got it on a huge price drop too, so I'm happy. It took waiting until Pikmin, Mario, W101, and Donkey Kong (which was unfortunately delayed) for me to grab a Wii U, and once again I was able to snag it at a much better price.

However, more and more multiplatform games are going PC, and thankfully my rig is up to task.

Ah. I see. My bad!

Jintor

Not really these days. Worst of it gets patched. Generally better res options + mod support. My computer hasn't been upgraded for 3 years and I can still play pretty much anything. Easier to get cheaper prices, too, even close to launch. For multiplatforms, PC all the way.

This is of course dependent on certain factors though like having a decent rig. If/When I go to Japan we'll see if PC gaming can hold up, in between needing to get a comparable laptop for a decent price, the possibility of not having great internet, and just general region locking crap.

Necrovex

PC gaming has been pure bliss, for me at least. Most multi-platform titles tend to play better compared to their console brethrens. Of course, once in a while, we get a Dark Soul port, yet this is why we have Based Durante.

I am still sad we never got Asura's Wrath for the PC. :-(

Dantis

Not really these days. Worst of it gets patched. Generally better res options + mod support. My computer hasn't been upgraded for 3 years and I can still play pretty much anything. Easier to get cheaper prices, too, even close to launch. For multiplatforms, PC all the way.

This is of course dependent on certain factors though like having a decent rig. If/When I go to Japan we'll see if PC gaming can hold up, in between needing to get a comparable laptop for a decent price, the possibility of not having great internet, and just general region locking crap.

I mean, this kind of highlights one of problems, right? You're saying "And even three years on, I can still play anything!

A 360 from 2005 (Ignoring RROD, lol) could have played Assassin's Creed 4 last year. A PC from 2005 could absolutely not.

There are good things to PC gaming for sure, particularly if you care about IQ and things like that but it isn't the be all and end all of gaming, that GAF often likes to pretend.

Jintor

a 360 copy of assassin's creed 4 is basically unplayable to me at this point lol

i guess the problem you're highlighting is just initial investment, which... well yeah. we don't all have 1k to throw away at a decent pc (you could do good for 600 - 750 these days, actually)... but I do, and I did, so I don't have that problem

Meia

I mean, this kind of highlights one of problems, right? You're saying "And even three years on, I can still play anything!

A 360 from 2005 (Ignoring RROD, lol) could have played Assassin's Creed 4 last year. A PC from 2005 could absolutely not.

There are good things to PC gaming for sure, particularly if you care about IQ and things like that but it isn't the be all and end all of gaming, that GAF often likes to pretend.

While true, you do like you said run into issues of RROD and things of that nature. Of course, consoles are also cheaper on the whole than a PC, but then again I get way more use of the pc anyway, so it's kind of moot.

I don't care much about IQ or graphics, but FPS is a biggie for me. I bought Dark Souls on the Xbox, and 100% it long before the PC/expansion happened. I'm actually sad I played it on the Xbox first and dealt with a sub-10 fps Blighttown instead of the PC version that had no slowdown ever, but then again hindsight is 20/20. Fact is games for whatever reason haven't been that much better graphically to demand any kind of serious computer upgrade if you built in like 2010. Of course this will probably change soon, and now that I have a rig in place already, I can just spend the $300 or $400 for a new graphics card whenever one catches my fancy(still using a 560Ti, thanks to that Neogaf thread).

Buying a new computer is daunting because of price, but once you have one it's literally just a matter of buying parts whenever you feel like and slapping them in.

There's also some games like the newer Fallouts and Skyrim that, let's be frank, are made a million times better because of the ability to mod them.

Jintor

frankly, i just use the pc more. I have a bunch of console games i've had for ages but just never wound up playing because I don't have the consoles on all the time. it's some sort of weird lifestyle habit i find impossible to shake.

like i'm forgoing dark souls 2, a game I'm pretty sure I want to play, because it's not on pc yet. Obvs part of that is just because i heard the technical performance isn't so great on consoles, higher res options, etc etc etc, waiting to see what From does there, but most of it is because I just don't really like playing things on a console.

it's hard to get the living room is what i'm saying

Lunar15

PC just has access to so many games. It's ridiculous. PC has the most exclusives and the most ports. It's incredible. And modding makes games last.

Plus, the initial investment might be higher than a game console, but at the end of the day it's also my PC. I use it for work, for editing video, and for a bunch of other things. And if something's outdated, I can swap it out when the price is right.

Plus right now my old-ass gen 1 PS3 overheats like crazy. I'm dreading P5 in some ways because it's going to be unbearable to play it in my room.

Caladrius

That example isn't very strong considering that consoles have traditionally been made to be on the cutting edge of Hardware. This generation is a very significant change because the consoles (barring the WiiU) are equivalent to approximately mid-range PC hardware and don't use heavily specialized architectures. The transition to x86 alongside the modest specs make PC porting significantly easier and loosens the minimum requirements to run them.

There's also the fact that upgrading a PC (that doesn't have an outdated motherboard, which only happens if newer hardware becomes incompatible with it, which isn't very often,) to the then-current mid-range is less expensive than buying a new console, and you could always upgrade to upper-range specs that will last longer.

Own everything.

Flux knows the real best solution.

Dantis

When does Labrys week end? Is it tomorrow? I should draw a garbage picture of the worst robot before then.

That example isn't very strong considering that consoles have traditionally been made to be on the cutting edge of Hardware. This generation is a very significant change because the consoles (barring the WiiU) are equivalent to approximately mid-range PC hardware and don't use heavily specialized architectures. The transition to x86 alongside the modest specs make PC porting significantly easier and loosens the minimum requirements to run them.

There's also the fact that upgrading a PC (that doesn't have an outdated motherboard, which only happens if newer hardware becomes incompatible with it, which isn't very often,) to the then-current mid-range is less expensive than buying a new console, and you could always upgrade to upper-range specs that will last longer.

There's more to said on this, but I don't think this is the place to do so. Let's just say that there are positive aspects to console and PC gaming and leave it at that.

Quick subject change: What's next month's avatar thing. I'm enjoying this, even if no one participated in Yosuke month.

I had forgotten that this was even a thing.

When does Labrys week end? Is it tomorrow? I should draw a garbage picture of the worst robot before then.

I heard it was Monday night, but whether thats US time or GMT I have no idea :/

Quick subject change: What's next month's avatar thing. I'm enjoying this, even if no one participated in Yosuke month.

If its Yurlungur month then I'm already set. Sadly the only one I've seen associated with April is Yuka Ayase.

Got my ass kicked badly in P3Fes after grinding a lot and I rage quit the game. Been playing ps4 and diablo a lot now. With reaper of soul coming in less than 7 hours now, I don't think I will be back to p3 anytime soon. Fucking roulette shadow...

CorvoSol

Got my ass kicked badly in P3Fes after grinding a lot and I rage quit the game. Been playing ps4 and diablo a lot now. With reaper of soul coming in less than 7 hours now, I don't think I will be back to p3 anytime soon. Fucking roulette shadow...

Oh yeah, I hated that thing until I figured out that you can sort of cheese him by picking the opposite color from what you want. So like, if you pick a red, it'll land on blue and vice versa. Course it's craaaaaap in higher difficulties where he throws down a roulette that's 99% in his favor.

Oh yeah, I hated that thing until I figured out that you can sort of cheese him by picking the opposite color from what you want. So like, if you pick a red, it'll land on blue and vice versa. Course it's craaaaaap in higher difficulties where he throws down a roulette that's 99% in his favor.

TBH not many of the Full Moon bosses are really that tough, the tartarus bosses are (I think) more of a challenge, especially later on when
World Balance
shows up. You literally need a party with
no weaknesses and a lot of health.

Oh and also (Battle tactic spoilers I guess?)
Don't use Makarakarn, or it will Megidolaon the fuck out of you every turn.

Fuck that enemy, literally the only one to give me multiple game overs.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So....Who made the next-gen leap?

PS4 of course.

Had it preordered under the guise that Driveclub and Watch_Dogs would be out around launch. Didn't happen but I kept it because of Infamous and what it being hard to find.

I might get XB1 but right now, no.

Zero interest in Wii U.

And every month is Chie month.

Meia

And every month is Chie month.

tumblr_inline_n0onzg2HDv1qhaskl.png

The avatar month thing was kind of forgotten in favor of character art weeks, which have been much more successful! In order to pay PK back though for hijacking his month, Tuesday marks the start of Yosuke Week, aka Not a disappointment week.

Marche90

^^ I know, right?... though maybe the reason why everybody has a decent PC is because of that fantastic PC port of the first Persona game, you know?

In my case, seeing as how even a last-gen console is a major investment for me, I only game on consoles, or if I have to play on PC, 800x600 low settings for the newest games.
So....Who made the next-gen leap?

Not me, see above :(

Also, there's the fact that I want to get back a 3DS and buy a Vita first, after that maybe buy a Wii U to replace my aging Wii (May 2007 and still strong, but I want to put it to rest, or give it to my sister). PS4 until I start working, which must happen next year.

Levito

Banned
So I haven't seen this discussed in a while:

What are the chances P5 gives you the option to choose the protagonist's gender?

Dantis

So I haven't seen this discussed in a while:

What are the chances P5 gives you the option to choose the protagonist's gender?

I'm inclined to say low.

The protagonists have become more and more like characters as the games have gone on, and I think this will be even greater in P5. The more a playable character has a personality, the less need there is for a choice of gender, I think.

I've said it before, but it only seems worthwhile to me if the changes are significant, like in P3P.

Levito

Banned
I've said it before, but it only seems worthwhile to me if the changes are significant, like in P3P.

I think it's worth it because a lot of girls play Persona, and it'd be fair if they had the option to play as a female MC if they want like in P3P!

(Though yes, it should have significant changes)

Do it pokemon style, the gender you do not choose becomes a character in the plot

That could get tricky with voiceover, but yeah, good idea.

I think it's worth it because a lot of girls play Persona, and it'd be fair if they had the option to play as a female MC if they want like in P3P!

(Though yes, it should have significant changes)

The MC of P5 could just be a girl too ya know. It is not like this series hasn't had experience with female MC's either! Tamaki Uchida of SMT If... (yo its Persona 0 it counts), Maya Amano of Persona 2, Aigis of P3FES, and FemC of P3P.

Top Bottom