• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Lemstar

For those of you who are anime and stuff and don't hang around IRC enough to hear me trying to sell you shit, I'll have US PSN gameshares for Blazblue Chronophantasma available on release day (April 1) for $7.50.

FluxWaveZ

Think we'll ever see Yu's parents or get any significant mention of them? Guess it's pretty unimportant and my inclination is "no", but it would have been interesting to see. Wouldn't jive with the initial "blank slate" mentality for the player character, though.

Acid08

Banned
Think we'll ever see Yu's parents or get any significant mention of them? Guess it's pretty unimportant and my inclination is "no", but it would have been interesting to see. Wouldn't jive with the initial "blank slate" mentality for the player character, though.
Doubt it. Such an unimportant part of his character.

PK Gaming

Indeed. I also was hoping P4AU would start with Yu at his old school.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with giving a blank slate character a set of parents. SMT1 and Soul Hackers did this!

Tamanon

Banned

Honestly, I liked that we didn't really see most of their parents in the game.

CorvoSol

No because then my insane belief that he's half-American will be blown out of the water and we can't have that.

FluxWaveZ

Honestly, I liked that we didn't really see most of their parents in the game.

I suppose. Made me feel better about it when I played P2:IS and that was all about the cast's dads. It fit P3 'cause they're all orphans. In P1, the world's fucked so it's not like their parents would factor in. In P4, though, it's more like they're just omitted. It works, but I also don't think the presence of the cast's parents would necessarily be a hindrance. Then again, it could overcomplicate the plot in a way that they didn't find unnecessary.

No because then my insane belief that he's half-American will be blown out of the water and we can't have that.
My characters in P3 and P4 have American-ish first names with Japanese last names. In P4 it was "Nick Honda" and in P3 it's "Ed Miyahon."

Because my knowledge of Japanese names begins and ends with Punch-Out and NES game credits.

EMT0

Banned
My characters in P3 and P4 have American-ish first names with Japanese last names. In P4 it was "Nick Honda" and in P3 it's "Ed Miyahon."

Because my knowledge of Japanese names begins and ends with Punch-Out and NES game credits.

And car manufacturers, can't forget those.

CorvoSol

Yu Barney for ultimate lols. Makoto Frost and Clara Tokiwa. Fred Yoshiwara in P1.

ALL my protagonists have a Japanese and a Western name.

xgAwHW1.png

Honest, I was this close to naming the P3 protagonist "Ten Ten."

In retrospect, glad I didn't, because I actually really liked the moment in Mitsuru's S.Link where she starts calling you by your first name. I think I would have missed that completely.

And honestly, outside of the doofy early couple of S.Link scenes with Mitsuru (you know, with the ramen and the cheeseburger and whatever), I don't really understand why some people think it was a bad S.Link. I thought it was honestly one of the better ones. It's nice to see her doing things unrelated to the plot, to see some other side of her. Makes me wish there was an Akihiko S.Link in FES, because that guy's flat as a board.

Only a couple days left in January. I think I've been prolonging it by spending too much time in Tartarus because I don't really want it to end. I've been playing it for too long. But I guess I have the Answer to do still.

CorvoSol

xgAwHW1.png

Honest, I was this close to naming the P3 protagonist "Ten Ten."

In retrospect, glad I didn't, because I actually really liked the moment in Mitsuru's S.Link where she starts calling you by your first name. I think I would have missed that completely.

And honestly, outside of the doofy early couple of S.Link scenes with Mitsuru (you know, with the ramen and the cheeseburger and whatever), I don't really understand why some people think it was a bad S.Link. I thought it was honestly one of the better ones. It's nice to see her doing things unrelated to the plot, to see some other side of her. Makes me wish there was an Akihiko S.Link in FES, because that guy's flat as a board.

Only a couple days left in January. I think I've been prolonging it by spending too much time in Tartarus because I don't really want it to end. I've been playing it for too long. But I guess I have the Answer to do still.

I really enjoyed Mitsuru's, yeah. It was nice to see her loosen up over the course of it.

And Akihiko's SLink in P3P is pretty good. He's sort of a dork, though, haha. Like Shinjiro turns out to be a sweet-heart who wants to cook for you, Theo is like, 900% the sexiest man in Persona (I'm sorry Yu), and Akihiko looks like he's some badass but he's a lot less smooth than Theo or Shinji.

Ken is like "You like comic books? BUT YOU A GIRL. AND A GROWN UP. AND YOU MAKE MY PANTS FEEL FUNNY."

The greatest of all was the moment Junpei fucking friendzoned me, though. God damn you Junpei. You know you want this, no matter
how fucked up you are after Chidori dies.

I do the same thing. It just feels weird using an English name for clearly Japanese characters.
Well, that's the beauty of blank slates--they're only as Japanese as anyone decides them to be.

Nick Honda, see, maybe his parents are one half Japanese, the other American.

Poor Ed Miyahon is just a victim of unfortunate naming.

CorvoSol

The best part is that a guy like Junpei wouldn't hesitate to date a cutie. Pity a bunch of unfortunate circumstances got in the way.

During my playthrough I stopped several times and wondered if Junpei wasn't the most attractive option by virtue of being completely unobtainable.

I wish they'd given him
the option of being the last voice you hear in the game. Junpei breaking down at that moment would've ruined me.

I just look up Japanese names on the internet. >.>

I tend to use the Japanese spelling of my first name Zachary (Zakari) and then add some Japanese last name to it.

Like Zakari Kaneda or something similar.

Though on the second playthrough, I do something a bit more goofy just for fun....

AqYZzvX.jpg

Does make for some good laughs when they refer to him as Ryebread-chan.

The coat does make Akihiko look more like a boxer. Though I try to pretend the P3 characters' designs from Arena don't exist.

Hey hey, Featherman Yukari and Little League Coach Junpei are awesome. (this does not count as me waking up yet, randomly woke up to get a drink, NEXT TIME I wake up, when the sun is actually out,is the deadline for Labrys Week! Thus starts Yosuke Week, aka Not a Disappointment Week!)

Dantis

That is pretty awesome for something puked out in 15 minutes.

I bought one of those wacom drawing things on impulse the other night, although It'll be decades before I can put out something of quality. I was hoping to make a shitty thing for Labrys week, but it ain't happening.

YES! MORE PERSONAGAF ART!

Does anyone here visit any other Community Threads? I was thinking last night, it would be interesting to know how similar they are to ours in terms of 'things made', and honestly, just the general atmosphere of the thread.

i hate u dantis-kun :(

Well, I mean yours is a much better pose, which obviously made it harder to draw.

:mad:

Your Labrys is good! You should finish it. ;_;

Thank you! And it is finished. :p

I kind of like the idea of spending fifteen minutes on a picture and then being done with it. It's very different from what I normally do.

We should do an art trade some day.

I'd be down for something like that, sure.

Alright, I am up! I am gonna make my post soonish. If anyone is working on pieces for Labrys Week, say so and I shall postpone, but I shall make my post today!

Top Bottom