• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

I hope it doesn't disappoint, its my most anticipated upcoming game now that inFamous is out.

What has you anticipating it so much? Everyone I've heard of who's played it says it's shit.

I assume so, given the URL for that part of the site. I can't read all the text on the page though, so I could be wrong...

The way it's displayed on the site, it makes it seem that it'll be the box art. It looks nice.

Also shown hours ago:

BjkPjRiCAAEkdj8.jpg:large

From this tweet. I assume they're postcards via a new issue of Nintendo Dream.

And, on p-ch, news was posted about what I think are a bunch of segments that will be on the next PSC, one of which consists of the Persona developers answering character questions that were not answered in the games.

Omikaru

ERcnp4l.png

I'd like to think that if these two met in some parallel dimension they'd be the best of friends.

I mean they're practically clones. :eek:
Yes.

Donuts and Steak dont exactly mix ya know?

Unless...

donut_bacon_burger_0.jpg

Hell yes!!

FatBoysChallenge2.jpg

breakfast-blowout.jpg

Who thinks they could handle that? It's a breakfast deal that we have in our local cafe.

If you finish it, you dont have to pay for it lol.
Nooo! Too many chips. You don't put chips on a breakfast! That's almost as bad as putting pineapple on pizza. Hash browns or bust.

Jachaos

So I was searching for Persona Mayonaka TV on Youtube because there was a video of a live song with that in the name.

I found this [light NSFW I guess]

What the fuck is that song's origin. I know I've heard it elsewhere and used to a similar weird video. Is this some kind of meme/standard video for anime ?

So I was searching for Persona Mayonaka TV on Youtube because there was a video of a live song with that in the name.

I found this [light NSFW I guess]

What the fuck is that song's origin. I know I've heard it elsewhere and used to a similar weird video. Is this some kind of meme/standard video for anime ?

It's a meme thing I guess? The original song is Sporty-O - Let Me Hit It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S38FKpCzNgY

Jachaos

It's a meme thing I guess? The original song is Sporty-O - Let Me Hit It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S38FKpCzNgY

Ah okay so it wasn't made for that context. Thought it might've been made for a similar video in another anime's episode and suddenly got applied to other anime/japanese games/etc. characters.

Yeah that's the one I had seen. Didn't know what the fuck was going on back then either - it was a related video of something completely unrelated.

Lunar15

I'm actually not a huge fan of post-game developer answers. It always just kind of feels weird. I really dislike canon created outside of the original story.

Lunar15

I can definitely agree with this to a point.

I mean, I'm ok with really frivolous stuff like, "Oh hey, Junpei wears one green sock and one red sock to bed!" that just fleshes out existing character traits. Anything beyond that, like adding new traits that completely changes how you view a character, is just plain disrespectful to the fans.

Dantis

I mean, I'm ok with really frivolous stuff like, "Oh hey, Junpei wears one green sock and one red sock to bed!" that just fleshes out existing character traits.

Well, I mean, the problem with major canonical points is that they alter how you percieve characters, even if you choose to ignore them, I think.

To a large extent, it's something I've come to appreciate about Arena. By making it so localised within its own self, it doesn't matter how good or bad the story and writing are in it, which I think was probably deliberate, and was pretty smart.

ah, so they euros purposely mislabel food like like Canadians do? Interesting.

Chips are different to fries. Chips are thicker and more potato-y.

CorvoSol

I'm actually not a huge fan of post-game developer answers. It always just kind of feels weird. I really dislike canon created outside of the original story.

I feel this way sometimes with books. On the one hand I loaaaaathe Rowling now because she just can't seem to leave shit alone. On the other hand, Tolkien had boat loads of post-game stuff that is great that he just never really got to put together in a big way.

With games though I kinda just like to build my own stuff on top of whatever if I can.

Like I'm playing DQ4 now and I'm in Torneko's chapter and I just imagine what it's like to be this family man who is an up and comer in the medieval business world, whether his wife and son are happy that he's bringing in more money but also away from home on business more or what.

Sometimes it's nice, like the little tidbits about 999's cast you can find out out or the Zelda Timeline but other times I'm like "Whatever. It didn't matter enough to be put into the game so I can just disregard it."

Well, I mean, the problem with major canonical points is that they alter how you percieve characters, even if you choose to ignore them, I think.

To a large extent, it's something I've come to appreciate about Arena. By making it so localised within its own self, it doesn't matter how good or bad the story and writing are in it, which I think was probably deliberate, and was pretty smart.

Chips are different to fries. Chips are thicker and more potato-y.
Ah, I see.

Lunar15

I feel this way sometimes with books. On the one hand I loaaaaathe Rowling now because she just can't seem to leave shit alone. On the other hand, Tolkien had boat loads of post-game stuff that is great that he just never really got to put together in a big way.

With games though I kinda just like to build my own stuff on top of whatever if I can.

Like I'm playing DQ4 now and I'm in Torneko's chapter and I just imagine what it's like to be this family man who is an up and comer in the medieval business world, whether his wife and son are happy that he's bringing in more money but also away from home on business more or what.

Sometimes it's nice, like the little tidbits about 999's cast you can find out out or the Zelda Timeline but other times I'm like "Whatever. It didn't matter enough to be put into the game so I can just disregard it."

Tolkien vs. Rowling is a great example. Rowling keeps changing how we view direct elements of the stories that are already done. Those stories now exist in our head and were affected by how we first read them. Going in and tampering with that stuff is just short of "Greedo Shot First" nonsense.

On the flip side, Tolkien adds to the world outside of the stories. I'm fine with this because it's frivolous and doesn't impact the story we just finished reading. However, there is some tricky stuff where it can affect stories down the line, and I'm just not a huge fan of that. See the Star Wars Expanded Universe nonsense.

It's a big dangerous balance to go into world building after a story is done. Stories are, for all intents and purposes, a linear, self contained thing. You can create a world as big as you want, but when you put the reader on those rails and send them through a story arc... everything in that arc has a purpose that champions the theme.

tldr; In storytelling, theme trumps logic. Too much world building goes down a dangerous path of setting too much logic that doesn't service the theme.

tumblr_m7qv327QH41rplnw0.gif

Week Two- Labrys Week (Watch Yer Week) END!

Previous Weeks:

Week One- Akihiko Week (I've Been Waiting For This Week)

Next Week:

Week Three- Yosuke Week (Not a Disappointment Week)

ART DUMP INBOUND:

By Vox Chaotica
ALL TOASTERS TOAST TOAST

By Gazoinks
I R Labrys Hear Me Kibosh

By Snow In Jamacia
No idea he says, as he draws a Lovecraftian Toaster

By Pan-Hime
Labby's Epic Yarn

By Jintor
Lemme Axe You a Question!

By Chet Rippo
Everybody gets one.

By Setsu00
Scorpion? Who's dat? Git ova hea, ya big palooka.

By Reanimatoin
Guard cancellin' yo.

By Arue
My pal Snowy!

By Bruce
I am tha shadow, tha true self, and Ima put da kibosh on all yer art!

By Buddha0991
Labrys learns what it means to be Megaten'd

By Smedwicks
Sister, I can't drive!

By Dantis
It was a miracle to get him draw something that was not Naoto

By Insane Elite
Labrys upon review of her Persona 4 Arena 2 patch notes

By TheTrueSelf
Thats so Blazblue I turned into a robot girl

If I missed any, please let me know! Also if you have one to turn in, I can still add it here!

p4a-update-28.jpg

Feel kind of bad and silly for how big my image is :p

arue

It's great to see everybody's drawing in one post. Reminds me how talented PersonaGAF is. I also like how you put titles for our works.

Feel kind of bad and silly for how big my image is :p

At least your comic is hilarious and informational :p

Next week is Yosuke Week eh? I'm expecting at least one Yosuke drawing with trash can-chan.

Meia

I mean, I'm ok with really frivolous stuff like, "Oh hey, Junpei wears one green sock and one red sock to bed!" that just fleshes out existing character traits. Anything beyond that, like adding new traits that completely changes how you view a character, is just plain disrespectful to the fans.

I think it's likely to be more the former. I mean, I was shocked to see that, for example, Chie dyes her hair. It's not anywhere in the game at all, but it's in her design notes, something that came out with the game, but isn't something you'd have knowledge of off-hand.

Then again, the real tricky thing here is we're getting Persona 4 Arena 2, which features characters after their respective games so that adds to the lore of these characters too, as well as Persona Q, which even if not canon story-wise may be character-wise.

And as a side-note, the whole art week thing has been a marvelous idea. It's so weird seeing pieces posted here and seeing them on "other" sites long after the fact.

Dantis

Some great art for Labrys week. No favourites this week from me, because I feel like it was all really high quality. I kind of feel bad about doing such a bad piece when everyone else spent so long on their own stuff!

Yosuke week is okay, though he's kind of hard to draw.

Only with less discrimination and more waifus.

You mean less, right?

RIGHT?!?

LX_Theo

Banned
Well, I'm done with my super amazing awesome truly spectacular Yosuke art.

EEFQ8wb.jpg

Apologies if his week has already started (I'm not exactly sure if it has or not), but my lack of talent felt like flying out. I'll probably just forget about it if I don't submit now anyways.

FluxWaveZ

I think it's fairly evident that that's not what the segment will be about. Like Meia pointed out, it's going to be really specific character traits that aren't explicitly shown in-game. All of the questions come from Persona fans (through the PSC website form) and that's why they got the devs themselves to answer interesting ones.

This could potentially be really cool.

It could, but we won't ever know about what they say anyways.

Dantis

I think it's fairly evident that that's not what the segment will be about. Like Meia pointed out, it's going to be really specific character traits that aren't explicitly shown in-game. All of the questions come from Persona fans (through the PSC website form) and that's why they got the devs themselves to answer interesting ones.

It could, but we won't ever know about what they say anyways.

I'm pretty sure Siliconera or maybe even Pepsiman will translate it, if it's of any value.

Nooo! Too many chips. You don't put chips on a breakfast! That's almost as bad as putting pineapple on pizza. Hash browns or bust.

I probably would have attempted this when i was younger. But man, it looks like it could cause some serious damage.

Where is this cafe? I will never have to pay for breakfast again.

Its a cafe in London England, specifically Thornton Heath. If you're in the area and manage to finish it, let me know. I'll buy you another one as a congratulations. :D

Marche90

^^ :eek:

Also, amazing week regarding art posts. I'm sure it would be perfectly feasible to fill an image site with only pictures from our members!

Expecting Yosuke week warmly

Dantis

I draw Naoto, you draw Mio. After we're done, we change our avatars to what the other person drew for them for the month of April. Deal?

Mio being your own character, right? I... guess that's okay? I was thinking it would be a Persona art swap.

Also, no avatar changes for me. Because I don't like fun.

Also, don't expect sexy pinup art. That was a joke to antagonise Jintor.

Top Bottom