• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

I know, it also doesn't make sense that people who never had cause to use weapons suddenly can(attack fans GO!), but still, it is something that's jarring. Suspension of disbelief IS a thing, you know. A month would have been stretching it, a week is kind of asinine. :p

Still, like how thrilled Yukiko was in finally getting a sound of it on the first day. But yeah, she totally goes from that to playing in front of people in a week, just saying.

Sort of my thought process coming from being in a band at one point/learning to play guitar.

I didn't get through P4G all the way yet, but of all the extra side stuff they added, the band event would rank on the lower end.

Rhapsody

Banned
While I thought the band sequence was silly, I don't think it was awful or "ruined" P4.

I know it wasn't very realistic, but I wasn't bothered by it.

CorvoSol

Guys really? Someone can't not like the band stuff because there's other goofy shit in the game?

They can not like it. They just can't not like it for being silly, dumb, or somehow stretching suspension of disbelief in a game where a main character regularly wields chairs as a weapon.

I don't give two shits if someone doesn't like it, but it is, to quote someone else "ridiculously dumb" to hate on a silly thing in a game of silly things. Who goes on an Easter Egg hunt and gets mad that one egg is polka dot and not striped?

I have to say, if there are more moments in Golden like that, chances are Id enjoy the game more. I love the fun silly segments. I think that may be the main reason why p3 hasn't completely captivated me yet.

Meia

They can not like it. They just can't not like it for being silly, dumb, or somehow stretching suspension of disbelief in a game where a main character regularly wields chairs as a weapon.

I don't give two shits if someone doesn't like it, but it is, to quote someone else "ridiculously dumb" to hate on a silly thing in a game of silly things. Who goes on an Easter Egg hunt and gets mad that one egg is polka dot and not striped?

I can however like it and find it dumb at the same time about learning how to play an instrument that fast. :p

You know, thinking more on this topic, even P3 had the characters have knowing how to use weapons make sense. You can look at Makoto being in Kendo club(and maybe having been in other schools to this point), Yukari has archery club, Junpei likes baseball and swings his sword as such, Mitsuru fences, Akihiko boxes, Ken's been practicing for a bit for reasons his own, and Aigis has them built in. P4 has Chie and her love of martial arts(where repetition can get you through most of it with good instincts), Kanji just hits things with heavy shit, and Naoto has her gun, but none of the others make sense in the same context I guess.

Acid08

Banned

The suspension of disbelief thing isn't the only reason I've seen people complain about it. Like a lot of the Golden content it gets hit for pandering and basically just being fan service. I don't agree with that but it has been said before. And I think that's a valid opinion for someone to have.

And it's possible to like one silly thing and not like another. I like the scooter attacks(which are very dumb and make little sense) but hate when Marie summons lightning to strike a bathhouse. You can draw a line in the sand of silliness depending on what your tolerance is. Being dismissive of that is stupid.

Jintor

Inaba's not that small. It's not like a single street kinda town or something... it looks like it's the size of... I don't know what a good comparison is for you guys. Wagga Wagga or Dubbo or Wollongong or something.

PK Gaming

Seriously

It's fine to dislike the scene, but claiming that it somehow doesn't jive with the rest of the game due to "lack of realism" is silly.

tumblr_n0wjxcuC3e1spdy36o4_r1_250.gif
tumblr_n0wjxcuC3e1spdy36o7_r1_250.gif

Remember when Yosuke brought weapons to a food court, and then decided demonstrate their efficiency by swinging around them like a psychopath?

tumblr_n1k552hRgW1spdy36o8_250.gif

Or when Yukiko and co got drunk off the club atmosphere?

And those are just some scenes off the top of my head! P4 is loaded with absurd stuff. Let's be honest here, realism & Persona 4 have tenuous relationship at best.

Meia

I go more towards the detective thing in terms of why Naoto is able to wield a gun. I know cops are usually the only ones that can, but I don't know how private detectives work over there, especially really famous ones, so who knows? It's not something that really all that bothered me.

Now riding a scooter into the TV world? That shit was crazy. Do they kind of have ramps leading into the TV they always use and kind of just start driving in when it's time to do it?

Every time they mentioned how far in the sticks Inaba was got a chuckle out of me. Hell they can take a train to the city at lunch, shop around for a while and get back to school before the last bell.

Persona 4 was at its best when it attempted to depict the shit that happens in the "real world" as fairly realistic. The club scene was dumb, for instance. Shoud've just had them getting actually drunk. Anything related to the TV world I give a pass to, because it's Wonderland, but getting drunk off "atmosphere" is just dumb. The minute Naoto brought up the sobriety of the drinks just ruined the entire scene.

I think it's fine to pick and choose what you like and what you don't like in anything based on whatever line you choose to draw. I haven't seen the band scene, but if the characters are learning to play instruments with some degree of success in a week, then that's dumb. I prefer it when the game plays up the believability of the real world, a reason I'm really happy P4 dropped the goofy robot shit from 3 (spinoffs be damned).

That said, I think the truly unbelievable stuff outside of my suspension of disbelief was kept to a pretty small minimum. The club scene and its ilk are the exceptions, not the rule.

CorvoSol

I can however like it and find it dumb at the same time about learning how to play an instrument that fast. :p

Certainly. That was the first thing I did. I used to be in band and no way does anyone get that good at an instrument that fast. But then again, Yu and Yosuke pick up weapons with surprising ease.

Persona 4 was at its best when it attempted to depict the shit that happens in the "real world" as fairly realistic. The club scene was dumb, for instance. Shoud've just had them getting actually drunk. Anything related to the TV world I give a pass to, because it's Wonderland, but getting drunk off "atmosphere" is just dumb. The minute Naoto brought up the sobriety of the drinks just ruined the entire scene.

I think it's fine to pick and choose what you like and what you don't like in anything based on whatever line you choose to draw. I haven't seen the band scene, but if the characters are learning to play instruments with some degree of success in a week, then that's dumb. I prefer it when the game plays up the believability of the real world, a reason I'm really happy P4 dropped the goofy robot shit from 3 (spinoffs be damned).

That said, I think the truly unbelievable stuff outside of my suspension of disbelief was kept to a pretty small minimum. The club scene and its ilk are the exceptions, not the rule.

If this doesn't make you a fan of the club scene, nothing will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCuHBrWJFXU

Simply brilliant.

kewlmyc

I didn't like the band scene since I don't like idol stuff. Same reason I'm not the biggest fan of Rise's Risette personality. The scene fits inline with the rest of the series though. The club is just as ridiculous, but no one minds that.

I could understand how someone could say that the animated bath scenes don't fit the series though.

I've heard that was something called "raw drunk" from reputable people who lived over there and saw it first hand.

nothing excuses those hot springs scenes though

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can I just say I really dislike the fact they took save points out of dungeons? It screws with my saving mojo. I'm never sure if I saved before or after in the Golden. ARGH.

FluxWaveZ

Heh.

Can I just say I really dislike the fact they took save points out of dungeons? It screws with my saving mojo. I'm never sure if I saved before or after in the Golden. ARGH.

I don't think there were ever any save points in Persona 4 dungeons aside from directly outside of boss rooms. A Goho-M always had to be used. P4G made it far easier to not mess up with the floor auto-saving.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, Max Social Link question:
Bug Catching Net, apparently you can start it 4/18 but I didn't and you can continue it the next day.
The guide I'm following doesn't mention it. Am I screwed in regards to that quest/need for it ASAP or should I follow the guide that mentions it happening/getting the reward in July or something?

Jinto

Well, the Answer was pretty underwhelming. After watching it just now, I'm glad I didn't play through the whole thing. Reminded me of a bad filler episode.

Dantis

I don't care what the rest of them say about you-- you're the best, Dantis! ;D

What are you talking about nobody ever says nasty things about m-

Every time some one mentions liking this or one of the other new scenes in Golden, Dan-chan comes along to post about how they're all awful like a hapless lame-o.

It's a very old schtick.

...Oh.

;_;

Lately if I'm drawing fan art, I try to draw them as close as I can to the source. Of course some habits die hard.
To give a brief idea what Mio is like, she's a lot like Yukiko but with her shyness turned up to 11. She's less aloof than Yukiko and acts more as the "straight man" of the group. She loves music and and is often writes the lyrics for the band's songs, and sings when her social phobia doesn't get in the way. The bassist of the band.

Ok Naoto, long hair or short hair? Hat or no hat?

Whatever, I guess! I defer to your judgement!

You're killing me, Corvo.

EDIT: That Mitsuru picture is badass.

Top Bottom