• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

GAF got too heated for my tastes around E3, so I thought I'd take a breather and step out for a while~

Kind of just been busy with life stuff in general, too. I got to have surgery for the first time ever, for instance! That was fun! :D!

But yeah, mostly life being life accounting for my absence. I never intended to forsake you all. Just wanted a break~

Yeah, GAF can get a little to crazy sometimes. It probably is a better idea to step away from it, rather than surrounding yourself with the unnecessary chaos.

I hope your surgery went well and you made a full, speedy recovery. I also had surgery for the first time at the start of the year. I initially thought my operation was no big deal when i first woke up. The nurse then quickly reminded me that i wasn't feeling any pain due to the drugs. Once they wore off, the following week was a nightmare lol.

Glad to have you back man.

2914770-pepsiman.jpg

CorvoSol

Are we talking about the Persona 1 manga?

Because that thing is legitimately great. It transcends being a good adaptation and becomes its own beast that's probably better than the game it's actually based on.

Yeah I've been reading through it. I really enjoyed P1's plot anyway, but the Manga does a great job of expanding it.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, well to be fair, it's technically not 12:00 AM EDT yet, which might be the time they're equating their updates to? Maybe not, though, since they just posted that tweet.

Hey, hum, Green Mamba, what's your opinion about Rise getting her Persona to change form to battle, using a mic as her weapon and Marie getting a Persona just so she can be DLC playable? I know you don't like changes from the original game in spinoffs, and I enjoy reading what you have to say about it.
Sorry, was at work. Now I can answer.

I've long since made peace with Rise being playable, but I have a complicated relationship with it.

For instance, moveset liberties don't really bother me: Persona 4 isn't a fighting game, so transferring its gameplay style and turn based characters into a fighter is going to take liberties and I'm fine with that. Like Teddie's moveset, being completely made up? I'm fine with it (which is funny, because I know PK Gaming isn't, so that's some fun reversal!). As long as the moveset fits the character in some way, whatever. And Rise fighting with a mic is fine. Like, the only adapted character moveset I don't care for is Junpei's, only because it revolves around baseball gimmicks and themes when baseball was such a comparatively small part of his character.

The form change I'm less okay with, because of a couple reasons. One--I don't like that it's an explicit form change of Himiko instead of her upgraded Personas. I feel it "validates" Arena's silly and contradictory usage of the base level Personas in a way that's harder to ignore story wise. By contradictory I mean their reason for using the base level Personas is that of a silly crossover fighter (they're more iconic), which flies in the face of the game's other attempts to be a serious continuation of Persona 4's story. This is kind of a recurring problem I have with Persona 4 Arena--it's of two minds, trying to have its cake and eat it too. But getting back to the earlier point, the usage of the initial Personas was hardly called attention to in the first Arena--they're there, but they're just there being Personas. Himiko's form changing calls explicit attention to this inconsistency.

Kind of waiting on the storyline reason for the change to jump the gun further though. If it ends up being a self-contained change brought about by something specific to Ultimax then whatever. I'm less cool with the change being brought about by something that could have happened in Persona 4 but just didn't. Like, Rise just getting super angry at not being able to fight, or her being pushed to the brink, or something. Anything that weighs the story of Arena more heavily than Persona 4's is something I'm not overtly okay with.

To connect back to the moveset liberties angle, I feel that the form change misses the point of having a playable Rise. Like, if you're going to make up a Persona, then why not invent a new character while you're at it? This is one liberty I'm less okay with.

Also, small niggling issue--Himiko's form change breaks a cardinal rule of Persona 4's Persona designs: no faces. That's more of a personal OCD thing.

But by and large, I have pretty much made peace with it (and have even argued at length for Fuuka to be playable!) and it's not a subject I really want to debate much about anymore, but there are my feelings on it.

Concerning Marie, fuck her. She can do whatever she wants, I don't care for her at all.

But seriously, Marie using a Persona seems completely within the realm of "sure, what the hell, why not" considering her Velvet Room presence and that... other spoilery stuff.

----------

Other stuff that came up since I left and want to comment on...

Really appreciate your post on the matter, NichM. We do tend to get too wrapped up in canon around here, especially for a series that is defined by player choices.

Regarding shipping Mitsuru and Akihiko--I'm not really a shipper, but I did kind of feel that Akihiko may have, at some point in the past, had feelings for Mitsuru, but has since gotten over them after realizing it probably wouldn't work. And then Arena revealed him to be a complete goober more interested in fighting bears than being an actual human being, so what do I know.

everything is valid.
Beetle's vomiting up paint?

EDIT: That was way bigger than I think I intended it to be.

Weiss

Banned
Yeah I've been reading through it. I really enjoyed P1's plot anyway, but the Manga does a great job of expanding it.

My favourite part is how it handles the main character. Apart from, you know, giving him a name and dialogue, he's portrayed in a surprisingly poignant way. but the manga integrates him more into the plot by giving him a reason to be around Maki (being distant childhood friends), and his Persona is used as a way to express himself, like an id he can unleash. I also thought it was cool that instead of portraying him as a silent, immutable, unbeatable protagonist like lots of game adaptations, it's inferred that he's actually just kind of quiet and doesn't know how to deal with people so he shuts them out.

Another cool thing about it is how he's more integrated into the actual plot. P1 was basically Maki's story, but the manga develops a backstory for Naoya, like giving him
a dead twin brother that he angsts about
and it works in giving him more personal stake in the story.

So, yeah, I kinda like it.

Acid08

Banned
Although I really, really loved Persona 4: Golden, I have to say that, if I'm being perfectly honest, Persona 2 is far, far more deserving of an anime than it.
A way to experience the P2 story without actually having to play it sounds super great!

CorvoSol

My favourite part is how it handles the main character. Apart from, you know, giving him a name and dialogue, he's portrayed in a surprisingly poignant way. but the manga integrates him more into the plot by giving him a reason to be around Maki (being distant childhood friends), and his Persona is used as a way to express himself, like an id he can unleash. I also thought it was cool that instead of portraying him as a silent, immutable, unbeatable protagonist like lots of game adaptations, it's inferred that he's actually just kind of quiet and doesn't know how to deal with people so he shuts them out.

Another cool thing about it is how he's more integrated into the actual plot. P1 was basically Maki's story, but the manga develops a backstory for Naoya, like giving him
a dead twin brother that he angsts about
and it works in giving him more personal stake in the story.

So, yeah, I kinda like it.

I think what I like most is that rather than be Mr. Confident Love God like P4's protagonist comes off as or P3's "Aloof cool guy," P1's protagonist in the manga seems to not like it when people tell him he's too distant. He's always really surprised when people point it out.

He still has that patented Persona protagonist pheromone, though.

A way to experience the P2 story without actually having to play it sounds super great!

Bwahaha. As much as P2 is a clunky duology full of clunky gameplay mechanics and questionable revisions in the PSP updates, I really do think it's sad that these games are so forgotten.

Mdesilva

There's good games somewhere in there, but we really don't have the best versions of P2 available to us (and they still could use a bit of tweaking too).

CorvoSol

Okay Elly just flat out is magic, I guess. Nanjo (who is rich and also BATMAN) gets ticked cuz he has to buy weapons for everybody, but Elly just looks at the guy and he gets all "oh better not look so they don't notice!"

And when Elly is explaining the meaning of everybody's Tarot cards, feathers and sparkles appear all around her as she explains her own.

#Elly4Life

Okay, look at this. Feathers? Sparkles? Petals? Flowers? No.

Elly materialized a goddamn palm tree. Her Persona is too stronk

FluxWaveZ

Apparently, the PSN store page for P4U2 is up. It's 13GB, available for pre-purchase on August 13, which will download the noon of August 24.

Also, the DL version apparently won't be coming with [Reacted] for free, so heads up to those who are pursuing that route.

Here are the custom themes promoted in the campaign that pan-hime posted about being able to obtain through that blog or that people can obtain by purchasing those P4GA episodes:

0677b3892546e8bba12dd1d52c61e268c86f.jpg
0159b3892546e8bba12dd1d52c61e268c86f.jpg

I need that second one.

Xenoflare

13GB? The 360 would suffer from audio/video compression then.

The fact that this came to 360 yet BBCP didn't is quite weird, I'm surprised that this actually came out for 360.

Dantis

Apparently, the PSN store page for P4U2 is up. It's 13GB, available for pre-purchase on August 13, which will download the noon of August 24.

Also, the DL version apparently won't be coming with [Reacted] for free, so heads up to those who are pursuing that route.

Here are the custom themes promoted in the campaign that pan-hime posted about being able to obtain through that blog or that people can obtain by purchasing those P4GA episodes:

0677b3892546e8bba12dd1d52c61e268c86f.jpg
0159b3892546e8bba12dd1d52c61e268c86f.jpg

I need that second one.

Wow, I wonder why it's so big?

That's bigger than BBCP.

Sophia

So glad Atlus USA simplified the DLC situation for us compared to the Japanese version. At least for [SPOILER-PERSON] and Marie.

Sophia

Marge is not going to be online for day 1 is it? I have a feeling that she would be pushed out at a later date.

Unless I'm mistaken, they haven't said anything yet. Personally I hate DLC characters for fighters to begin with, particularly ones that are coming at launch.

Xenoflare

Unless I'm mistaken, they haven't said anything yet. Personally I hate DLC characters for fighters to begin with, particularly ones that are coming at launch.

I just don't understand the point, I bet all three are 100% on disc each with a 100kb+ unlock file.

Somehow Capcom got hated to oblivion for doing this yet ASW is rather ok.

I just don't understand the point, I bet all three are 100% on disc each with a 100kb+ unlock file.

Somehow Capcom got hated to oblivion for doing this yet ASW is rather ok.

Not enough people play ArcSys fighters for their to be a real loud stink about the On-Disc DLCs and such.

Setsu00

Don't get me wrong, it's not the fact that you may have pirated games that baffles me. It's that you complain about the DLC for these games. This reminds me of the guy who pirated Skullgirls and then wanted the devs to patch in more content for free.

Xenoflare

Don't get me wrong, it's not the fact that you pirated games that baffles me. It's that you complain about the DLC for these games. This reminds me of the guy who pirated Skullgirls and then wanted the devs to patch in more content for free.

I'm not really angry about it, I understand that my comment may made me seem hypocritical but I was never serious about it. Excuse me. I'll watch what I type next time.

Setsu00

Another Kr0npr1nz picture:

I actually don't like this one very much. Doesn't look much like Catherine in my opinion.

That actually seems to be based on another Soejima piece from the Catherine artbook, just like his Katherine picture and his Vincent picture.

Kinda disappointing.

Dantis

Does anyone know who runs the Minato Arisato account on Youtube? It's someone on here, right?

Funny how he/she made Kathrine look seductive yet Catherine a bit dull.

Pretty much. I mean, I think that's probably because he based the Katherine picture very, very closely on a Soejima image, but even so.

That actually seems to be based on another Soejima piece from the Catherine artbook, just like his Katherine picture and his Vincent picture.

Kinda disappointing.

Hmm? Which picture? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Another Kr0npr1nz picture:

I actually don't like this one very much. Doesn't look much like Catherine in my opinion.
Huh, that's why I do like this one. Looks different than usual, like the beginning of a scorned Catherine, or that's how it looks to me. I think it's the angle and shadowing.

No spoilers, but considering how the story unfolds with her, I'd like to see an endgame version of Catherine in this style.

Top Bottom