• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Marche90

P4GA 6: So far, this has been the most interesting episode of the show so far. Can't wait to see what's in store for the next episode.

This was hands down the best episode so far.

I don't really care about Marie and her poems and how
she knew about Adachi before anyone else
, so that stuff didn't bother me.

The reason I really love this episode is because of all the backstory and how they decided to implement a different point of view. In P4G,
we learn things about Adachi through Yu and his interactions with him
. In this episode, however,
you really feel like you're inside Adachi's mind. The first half that shows him arriving to Inaba, meeting Dojima, how he is at work and how he discovers the Midnight Channel is glorious. His scene with Saki was creepy as hell. All that stuff about him and Yu's food was pretty good, too.

But man,
that scene at the hospital was wonderful. It actually makes me think he cares about Dojima and Nanako, repating "This was all on you, it was you" over and over. It gives me the feeling that he's blaming Yu for all that happened and he's trying to convince himself that he didn't have anything to do with that. And that final scene... Man...

I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

Just wanna post my brief impressions of the latest P4GA episode. This one is by far the most interesting episode yet. Getting some new backstory details and actually seeing the events unfold from a new perspective worked wonderfully. I don't wanna go into too much detail (and I'm trying to avoid spoilers!), but it's safe to say that I mostly agree with the previous posters opinions on the episode.

It's interesting how the episode with the least amount of Marie screen time ended up being the best one... :p

Dantis

You don't see how a group of teenagers summoning humanoid creatures that have relation to tarot cards to do battle has anything to do with Persona?

If you started with the original series, then I can understand, but if you're referring to watching the latest anime, Stardust Crusaders, and can't see the similarities, then I'm really confused.

This is a topic I know nothing about, but if that's as deep as the links go, then I think the similarities are largely superficial.

FluxWaveZ

One thing I can't say I thought of before, but its implied
Adachi's crushes on the reporter and Saki were influenced by the Midnight Channel rumor saying that they're the person's soulmate. I get the impression Adachi just got his hopes up only to get them crushed and further break down what little hope he had left. The scene where he put the reporter in the TV seemed like he was just trying to make her fear for her life and she ended up falling in.

Never thought of this as well, as we were never given a good reference point for when
Adachi
arrived in Inaba and what he was doing before Yu came by, but it makes total sense as a motive for what he did.

Absolutely amazing episode. Justifies the entire existence of P4GA to me, even though the prior episodes ranged from mediocre to fine and that I'm not sure anything following this one will be able to even come close.

antitrop

I have reached out to the truth.

Started P4G this morning on Easy and got up to Shadow Yukiko. I absolutely love the game. Love the graphics, music, presentation, characters, dialogue, setting, plot! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
As promised:

chx1qjH.gif

Dantis

Started P4G this morning on Easy and got up to Shadow Yukiko. I absolutely love the game. Love the graphics, music, presentation, characters, dialogue, setting, plot! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

As someone who I have seen around GAF, I am super surprised that you have only just started playing this game.

Hahaha, you're gullible as hell, dude. That's all it takes for you? A few forum posts? Hahahaha.

That and Arena, yes.

abrack08

This was hands down the best episode so far.

I don't really care about Marie and her poems and how
she knew about Adachi before anyone else
, so that stuff didn't bother me.

The reason I really love this episode is because of all the backstory and how they decided to implement a different point of view. In P4G,
we learn things about Adachi through Yu and his interactions with him
. In this episode, however,
you really feel like you're inside Adachi's mind. The first half that shows him arriving to Inaba, meeting Dojima, how he is at work and how he discovers the Midnight Channel is glorious. His scene with Saki was creepy as hell. All that stuff about him and Yu's food was pretty good, too.

But man,
that scene at the hospital was wonderful. It actually makes me think he cares about Dojima and Nanako, repating "This was all on you, it was you" over and over. It gives me the feeling that he's blaming Yu for all that happened and he's trying to convince himself that he didn't have anything to do with that. And that final scene... Man...

I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

I always thought
Adachi really did have a soft spot for Dojima, Nanko, and even Yu. Especially in the social link scenes when he comes over and hangs out with you and Nanako, it never felt like he was faking.

As promised:

chx1qjH.gif

Amazing!

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
In recognition of older Persona games I might do Mayannaise, but it'll probably just end up being her face on a jar.

Xenoflare

Does this mean P4D news? Please let this be P4D news. I'M TOO HYPED NOW FOR IT TO NOT BE P4D NEWS.

I'm genuinely more excited for P4D than every other Persona game. Maybe tied with Q.

I'm strangely excited for P4DAN is because we can see all the characters in fully rendered models. Meaning it would be the best 3D representations of them

Awesome! Beware of spoilers, they're everywhere!
As promised:

chx1qjH.gif
YES
As someone who I have seen around GAF, I am super surprised that you have only just started playing this game.
Hey Dantis, did you saw today's episode? Did it changed your opinion on Adachi?
Man, the boobs on this show are inconsistent every episode. lol

Zareka

I'm strangely excited for P4DAN is because we can see all the characters in fully rendered models. Meaning it would be the best 3D representations of them

Same here. I mean, I am excited for Miku with Persona music but getting to see the characters with their (beautiful) 3D Vita models will be awesome too. Good thing we only have to wait till tomo
That died fast =(

Nope
It's not. Hardin clarified.

DEFLATE HYPE.
DAMN IT, NO. NO NO NO NO NO. NO. :(

Wow this episode was by faaaaaaar the best of them all, and the animation was actually way better too, maybe because there were more close shots?

I'm don't want to, huh, imply anything, but did you guys notice the best episode was the one with less Marie (she doesn't even go there, who does she thinks she is? Aigis?).

Anyway, great episode overall, if you're not watching the anime watch only this one because it was pretty good!

kewlmyc

I don't think the episode was good because it featured less Marie, but because it provided highly requested backstory to a popular character that barely got it in the original game and even his added social link in P4G.

I don't think the episode was good because it featured less Marie, but because it provided highly requested backstory to a popular character that barely got it in the original game and even his added social link in P4G.

Well, of course, and they also structured it very well too, I was just making a joke because of how much she's been featured in the last ones, it's like she's the main character... (not very funny, I know, sorry)

CorvoSol

Marie's claws still infected shit, though.
"Adachi I know we are friends on our way to rank 10 eternal friendship, but one of these chicks I'm trying to bang my one, true canon love interest has a slightly psychic impression that I shouldn't play with you anymore! I know that it's a sign of an abusive relationship when your significant other tries to cut off contact with family and friends, but I haven't been laid in about two days I really love her, so I need you to confess your crimes to me right now!"

Adachi: "Uh, are you shitting me, bro? Where do you even know this girl from? And don't even say school 'cuz I'm a goddamn detective and I have been stalking every girl in your school size 4 and lower talked to like, four NPCs so I know that ain't true."

Narukami: "Shit man, I don't know. Just fess up or something. I trust everyone and now that trust has been called into conflict, but since I have less character in this adaptation than in the actual video game, I'm not going to see that conflict so I'm gonna follow my true feelings/shonen heart to the end!"

Adachi: "One of these days that shit's gonna backfire, breh."

Narukami: "Whatever, it's not like there's a plot to this show anyway! We'll probably skip right over you!"

TimmiT

Today's Golden Animation episode was alright, I liked seeing more stuff from Adachi's perspective. However,
It would have been nice if more context was added to him shoving people into TVs. It just goes from him being mildly being annoyed by stuff to him being angry and shoving Yamano into a TV. They kinda hinted at why he did it with him seeing Yamano on the midnight channel and the rumor that the person on the midnight channel is your soulmate, but they didn't really show enough of it. I feel like it would have been better if it showed something like Adachi trying to have Yamano like him and failing, causing him to get angry and shove Yamano into the TV as an impulsive thing.

Also
Marie thinking Adachi isn't trustworthy because she feels like he isn't is pretty dumb.

FluxWaveZ

I feel like it would have been better if it showed something like Adachi trying to have Yamano like him and failing, causing him to get angry and shove Yamano into the TV as an impulsive thing.

I have a different opinion than this.
That's not who Adachi is, and this episode conveyed every facet of that quite well. Emotionally, he's absolutely not in a place where he would somehow attempt to make Ms. Yamano like him in the typical fashion. He's extremely unstable and depressed, and once he gets confirmation that she has an affair, his inferiority complex kicks in—as he once again feels that he's being given up for someone better than him (complemented by the Midnight Channel scene)—and he completely loses it, engaging in the "fight" part of the fight-or-flight response towards his value as a person.

TimmiT

I have a different opinion than this.
That's not who Adachi is, and this episode conveyed every facet of that quite well. Emotionally, he's absolutely not in a place where he would somehow attempt to make Ms. Yamano like him in the typical fashion. He's extremely unstable and depressed, and once he gets confirmation that she has an affair, his inferiority complex kicks in—as he once again feels that he's being given up for someone better than him (complemented by the Midnight Channel scene)—and he completely loses it, engaging in the "fight" part of the fight-or-flight response towards his value as a person.

It was just a suggestion, there are probably better ways of showing something that'd result into him shoving her into the TV. I just feel like not enough was shown.

MSMrRound

However,
It would have been nice if more context was added to him shoving people into TVs.

^
My own interpretation:
The Mayuri Yamano that he had seen on TV screens was considered refined and perfect, as expected of a presenter. Midnight Channel gave him the illusion that she is his soulmate, and while still harboring that thought, his supervisor gave him the news of her affair with Namatame, which kind of caused him to snap, confronting Yamano directly at the inn. Why are you so different from my ideal image of you!?

It could be seen in the case of Saki Konishi as well. He was still bitter over the perceived "betrayal" of Yamano, then he see Konishi on the midnight channel->saw Namatame hanging around her->grudge over Yamano's involvement with Namatame still lingering, he branded her the same type of woman that Yamano was, hence "bitches and whores" and decided to give her the same treatment as well. You are just a schoolgirl...but you are such a loose woman. Makes you no better than that Yamano bitch.

Why are the two of you hanging out with Yamatame? Why would the two of you reject me? I'm full of talent, on my way to the top as the elite of the police. Why did they send me to this god-forsaken place? Why is everyone and everything acting against me?

The world has gone to shit. Might as well put these new powers that I have obtained into use...

Dantis

Just watched episode 6. It was okay. I think everyone's extremely positive feelings towards it are more a sign of how poor the show has been so far. This was still miles from the best episodes of the original animation.

Spoilers!

To me, this episode just cemented what a horrible, awful character Adachi is. I had thought based upon reading these opinions that it would show a different side to him, but it doesn't. He's still vile and still disgusting and annoying and I still hate him.

The only thing this episode really showed is what a decent person P4GA's portrayal of Narukami is. He's less this ridiculously suave character that he was in P4A and more how you'd expect him to be based upon his actions in the actual game. Not to say that the original animation's portrayal was bad, of course, because I loved it.

Hey Dantis, did you saw today's episode? Did it changed your opinion on Adachi?

Not even a teensy bit.

^
My own interpretation:
The Mayuri Yamano that he had seen on TV screens was considered refined and perfect, as expected of a presenter. Midnight Channel gave him the illusion that she is his soulmate, and while still harboring that thought, his supervisor gave him the news of her affair with Namatame, which kind of caused him to snap, confronting Yamano directly at the inn. Why are you so different from my ideal image of you!?

Slight problem with that first part.
The entire reason Yamano was on the Midnight Channel was because of the public attention due to her affair with Namatame. How could Adachi have seen her as his soulmate before feeling betrayed by her affair?

FluxWaveZ

The entire reason Yamano was on the Midnight Channel was because of the public attention due to her affair with Namatame. How could Adachi have seen her as his soulmate before feeling betrayed by her affair?

That's the reason why he seeks confirmation, even though he pretty much knows the answer.
Seeing that she was his soulmate, he actually believed in the rumors and wanted to believe that he finally found someone that wouldn't leave him or abandon him—from his perspective—like everyone else had done, which the episode showed multiple times. He got the answer that he just wasn't "good enough" straight from her mouth when she didn't admit it to him and ask for forgiveness, or whatever his messed up mind was expecting, so that's when he snapped.
That's what I think.

MSMrRound

He's new to town. He
had only just heard the rumours that whoever appear on the channel is your soulmate, which gave that mistaken impression.

Daimaou

I actually have similar feelings to TimmiT, but my problem isn't lack of setup, but rather how overplayed the scene in question is.
He simply becomes a head-clutching lunatic too fast. I feel like it should have been more impulsive. If he had simply lunged at her and stuck her in the TV after she refused his advances and to admit the affair, I think it would be easier to swallow, at least for me. There's too much theatre and it's too deliberate.

I had the same problem with the game, too.

That's just the thing. A normal person wouldn't seriously go 'whoa, she was on TV like the rumor said, so she HAS to be my soulmate!'
Adachi on the other hand, is a bit of a psychopath. He hated just about everything that was going on in his life, from getting transferred to the boonies to being bothered all the the time by people who were only trying to be nice to him.

When he finds out the Midnight Channel actually exists, and what's more, he apparently has the power to enter the TV, something clicked in his mind. To him, this was his chance to turn things around. He went from pawn to player. This new ability gave him power over others, emboldening him, and since the rumor said she had to be his soulmate he fervently clamped on to that idea and decided to confront her, hoping that everything about the affair was just a lie.

Of course, things didn't go as he planned, and from there on it just went from bad to worse with him.

Sorry for the rant. That's my take on it, anyway.

I loved this entire episode. Sitting through the earlier episodes of the Marie Show was totally worth it just for this.

FluxWaveZ

I just realized something.

One of the three people Adachi throws into the TV is not shown.

Probably because it would have felt extremely out of place with the whole goal of this episode. Might be shown in the next episode, when the show might focus a bit more on
the story behind the case than the story behind the culprit.

Top Bottom