• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Just watched episode 6. It was okay

Not even a teensy bit.

The fact that you hate him so much means he's doing a good job as the
bad guy

This episode was far from ok. It was awesome. It finally gave us a back story to
Adachi.
It did a great job demonstrating his loneliness, frustration and depression. It also gave us a fresh new perspective on the P4 story.

The animation was miles better than previous episodes, and the lack of Marie made it even more enjoyable.

Dantis doesn't like Adachi. interesting.

I don't either, really.

1PRyV6d.png

I was ready to drop the show after seeing another cheesy poem intro. They are going to put those at the beginning of every episode aren't they...
ANYWAY, I liked what I saw. They finally picked their shit back up and delivered a great episode, not only story wise, but artistically wise. Everything was much smoother and there weren't as many oddities as before. I am looking forward to seeing the continuation. Now whether these improvements are permanent or simply because
he is such a vital character in the plot,
remains to be seen.

PK Gaming

P4GA 6

Solid episode. Undoubtedly the best of the bunch.
God hat a refreshing episode. After last week's cheesy festival of suck, I needed some despair in my veins:

Things I liked:

Adachi. Adachi. ADACHI. Need I say anything more? One of the best P4 characters gets an entire episode dedicated to himself. That's kickass. Super kickass. The episode really does a good job at conveying Adachi's boring, dead-end lifestyle. He's got a job that forces him to exert himself and he's surrounded by country hicks and busybodies. I loved how this episode made it clear that he secretly didn't want anything to do with Yu or Dojima. The scene where he throws out the boxed lunches in the trash was very enjoyable. The episode also did this amazing thing where it went over the ultimate truth regarding his character:

Adachi is a person that doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

He repeats ad nauseum that it was Yu's fault that Nanako and Dojima were hurt. It was Yu's fault. It was Yu's fault. Wow. I can't wait to see how they handle the solo Yu / Adachi confrontation scene.

The art was pretty decent this time around. It wasn't high quality stuff, but it was mildly consistent, which is to say, a lot better than last week's tsunami of bad art.

Yu's friendship with Adachi. It felt genuine and not "too" anime (which is so unlike everything else in this anime). He genuinely comes across as a nice guy (admitting to Marie that he isn't "friends" with Adachi, but he wants to get closer to him). He made him a boxed lunch.

Things I didn't like:

The episode glossed over or outright changed crucial scenes. Why on earth did they skip over the Mayumi Yamano body discovery scene? It would have been fantastic if we saw the aftermath of Adachi's "reaction", but it's mysteriously absent.

Having Adachi mockingly whisper in Yu's ear at the end was a misstep. It takes away the impact of his "true nature" reveal by having him show his true colors so early. It's contradicts the main game too, since Adachi "supports" Yu during the main game (their Slink goes up!). Didn't like how he randomly told Yu to fuck off either.

Adachi's confrontation with Mayumi is abrupt and stilted. The anime immediately transitions into the confrontation, following Adachi's phone call with Dojima. The escalation is pretty good, happens way too quickly.

Lmao at the garbage Marie scenes. "Stay away from this man." What a joke.

All in all, it was a great episode with a few set backs. Bring on next week's episode!

The fact that you hate him so much means he's doing a good job as the
bad guy
There's two kinds of hate when it comes to villains: 'Love to hate' (
Adachi
) and "
Takaya
go die!"

I don't like the Pikachu girl and the Temperance Social link.

Can't wait to see which Social Links I'll hate in Persona 5

Only s-link I didn't care for was Rise's. Groaned at every rank. Not to mention
hugging=intimate.

Lunar15

He works well enough for his role in the plot, and all of the themes surrounding him are perfect for the game, but nothing about him was astounding. Honestly, he's just not in the game very much. The golden was a little better, but it was also a little forced in my opinion.

He just wasn't a strong enough character for me to put him on a pedestal. I don't hate him or anything, but I also don't really understand why he's so popular. To each their own and all that, though.

CorvoSol

Man, I feel like I'm the only one who really hates the way main guy is portrayed in this. I can't help but feel like they've dialed Narukami into a noncharacter the same as the rest of the cast. He only exists to do Marie's bidding. Otherwise, that confrontation this episode makes like, zero sense.
Think about that as if it were you. You know this girl for a few months and she's like "Hey, this guy is bad news, stop hanging with him." Which is all well and dandy, but you decide to go to this guy's place in the middle of the night and be like "I heard I shouldn't hang with you, what do you think?"

That scene was so awful.

PK Gaming

Man, I feel like I'm the only one who really hates the way main guy is portrayed in this. I can't help but feel like they've dialed Narukami into a noncharacter the same as the rest of the cast. He only exists to do Marie's bidding. Otherwise, that confrontation this episode makes like, zero sense.
Think about that as if it were you. You know this girl for a few months and she's like "Hey, this guy is bad news, stop hanging with him." Which is all well and dandy, but you decide to go to this guy's place in the middle of the night and be like "I heard I shouldn't hang with you, what do you think?"

That scene was so awful.

Oh no, I totally get you. Yu's pretty weak in P4GA, but I found his interactions with Adachi to be pretty tolerable.

The confrontation scene was hot garbage though. I cannot WAIT for the solo Yu/Adachi confrontation though. It's impossible for them to screw it up. I hope.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
He works well enough for his role in the plot, and all of the themes surrounding him are perfect for the game, but nothing about him was astounding. Honestly, he's just not in the game very much. The golden was a little better, but it was also a little forced in my opinion.

He just wasn't a strong enough character for me to put him on a pedestal. I don't hate him or anything, but I also don't really understand why he's so popular. To each their own and all that, though.

You like what you like, hate what you hate...I like Marie many others don't.

That I'm her bitch?

Oh no, I totally get you. Yu's pretty weak in P4GA, but I found his interactions with Adachi to be pretty tolerable.

The confrontation scene was hot garbage though. I cannot WAIT for the solo Yu/Adachi confrontation though. It's impossible for them to screw it up. I hope.

Marie will solo confront him instead of Yu.

Squire

Banned

Spoilers for P4

He was a serviceable villain, but just that. I found the fact that he basically spouted the sort of cretinous garbage you'd expect to hear from a reddit poster made him loathsome, but also unremarkable. He's the comment section personified as a character and that's only really interesting at a cursory glance, if that.

I didn't feel he was very smart or clever and so I couldn't connect with him. I couldn't really revel in his villainy while still rooting for the good guys. For me, that's what a good villain really is.

CorvoSol

I just think it was a load of nonsense. Like, Marie gave him no evidence to go off of at all and he still obediently went ahead with it. There's sort of something wrong with your writing if the villain is completely right to mock the hero in a scene like that.

As to the actual episode itself, what I enjoyed was
how it managed to portray Adachi as such a piteous guy. Like, I really enjoyed the extremely bored haze through which he viewed most everything and the way they showed that he was incapable of accepting the legitimacy of anybody's advances while simultaneously refusing to believe he was at fault for the rejection he faced. Like, I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of Adachi wondering why he wasn't good enough and Adachi being incapable of accepting Yu's kindness. I also liked how the old lady tied into it with Adachi sort of missing her after her son had come back.

I don't think Adachi is a sympathetic guy. I don't sympathize with him, but what I do feel is pity. His very pitiful, and I think that plays into the "poor me, what a victim I am" image of himself he has.

The scene of him opening the fridge to all that unopened food and then just dumping it really worked. One of the best scenes in the entire show.

But Goddamn, that confrontation was so dumb.

That I'm her bitch?

That'd be part of it, but if I was on the receiving end of that confrontation I'd also have to wonder if the one confronting me wasn't cracked. I mean "Oh your girlfriend who is from nowhere got a bad feeling and you expect me to now confess to whatever made her mad?" is one step away from me thinking that you're mad because I did -something- to upset your girl. It's utterly insane, extremely accusatory, and pretty at odds with the idea of a character who is supposed to be the ultimate listener.

arue

It was a pretty good episode; the best one so far in P4GA. As someone who never plays P4G (yet), I think the anime did a pretty good job
at explaining Adachi's backstory.
Although the anime moved on pretty quick, the best part was the last few minutes of the episode.
The part where Dojima got into a accident and Nanako "dies" always make me sad.
The animation is still kinda off though, but it didn't really matter in this episode because of the plot.

The scene where he throws out the boxed lunches in the trash was very enjoyable.

That part made me angry because he's throwing away a bunch of free food. FREE FOOD. How can you be so ungrateful when people already spent their time and energy to make you a homemade food? It could be empty containers, but who the hell puts empty containers in the fridge anyway.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
That'd be part of it, but if I was on the receiving end of that confrontation I'd also have to wonder if the one confronting me wasn't cracked. I mean "Oh your girlfriend who is from nowhere got a bad feeling and you expect me to now confess to whatever made her mad?" is one step away from me thinking that you're mad because I did -something- to upset your girl. It's utterly insane, extremely accusatory, and pretty at odds with the idea of a character who is supposed to be the ultimate listener.

Yeah. It's odd. would you call it a plothole though?

kewlmyc

Culprit spoilers:

The main reason I like Adachi is because he stands out as a JRPG villain. As a general villain, no he doesn't stand out, but he does as a JRPG villain. It seems like every JRPG I play, the villain is some king or some guy at the top of the food chain that wants to take over the world or be the leader of some cult. Or he's some ancient evil that wants to destroy the world for no reason. Adachi isn't either of those, he's just some mentally disturbed, depressed manchild. The fact that he's some loser spouting nonsense about not being able to deal with growing up is really refreshing for a JRPG villain, at least in my opinion, and it's what makes him stand out to me. While he does have an "alternate plan" that involves destroying the world, it's so half baked that it feels like something he came up with on the spot, which was done on purpose it feels. The fact that he's pretty much some 4chan reject that takes his problems out on others is why I like him so much, because it's actually kinda more believable than someone like Takaya or every other JRPG villain ever. A good way to end the murder mystery having the culprit pretty much be a "shadow" of yourself (the main character).

tl;dr:
I like the culprit because he stands out from every other JRPG villain who has some sort of ridiculous GRAND PLAN. He's just a loser who wouldn't open up to people for the help he desperately needed.

Also, I really liked this episode. Really enforces why I like the character as shown above. Whole thing could have been avoided if he just opened up to people and grew up.

Man I can't find any good Adachi pic to use as an avatar where he doesn't look weird or "you know that".

You can just be like Lelouch and not care :p

Lunar15

Well PGAF, we may have had a pairing chart, but at least no one ever wrote fanfiction about us.

Also, on Adachi:
As I said, I like him as a villian, and the themes surrounding him are perfect. It's just as a character I'm not like... excited to see him show up in stuff. I don't have a problem with it, but it just strikes me as odd because he was more plot/theme than he was character.

biodude

Neo Member
Hey personagaf, I've been working on my V2 evoker prop based off the movie variant, and wanted to show you the progress I've made so far on the 3d side of things.

Here's a WIP pic of the model I'm making to make the CNC program off of (the parts will be split up and made on their own). The slide is back partially for show, and I've yet to add the chamfers around the bottom frame. The barrel hole is placeholder/the barrel still has a lot of work that needs to be done to it.

3ab5a0f0bf.png

4df8736a46.png

With the first evoker, I only made a model for parts I absolutely needed one for and hoped it looked good. This time I wanted to see the entire thing in 3d :)

PK Gaming

[23:28] PK_Gaming Shadow Extraction is literally fellatio
[23:28] CorvoSol No that was forced oral
[23:28] buddha0991 is a super thinly veiled drug/sex allegory
[23:29] PK_Gaming "I don't know if I wanna experiment"
[23:29] buddha0991 "dude like this?"
[23:29] CorvoSol now THRUST
[23:29] CorvoSol UH
[23:29] CorvoSol UH
[23:29] CrazyTank940 o
[23:29] CorvoSol YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH
[23:30] CorvoSol Have you ever blown a load so hard
[23:30] PK_Gaming "Damn, that was an intense session"
[23:30] buddha0991 >Do you want to do it again
[23:30] PK_Gaming "I passed out"
[23:31] CorvoSol WHY WON'T HE FUCK ME AGAIN
[23:31] CorvoSol I THOUGHT WHAT WE HAD WAS SPECIAL
[23:32] PK_Gaming Yukiko: It's my first time...
[23:32] PK_Gaming Yu: Don't worry, I watched Trinity Souls
[23:32] buddha0991 everyone is having sex: trinity soul
[23:34] PK_Gaming They're taking shots
[23:34] buddha0991 lets have sex while the girls are gon
[23:34] CorvoSol suck me off while the girls are gone

Please watch Trinity Souls

Mdesilva

This is a topic I know nothing about, but if that's as deep as the links go, then I think the similarities are largely superficial.
No, that's pretty much just the similarities from the surface level, and I think that was intentional.

Edit: ^For as much as I'm in IRC, I'm never there when all the fun stuff happens :(

FluxWaveZ

Anyone here planning on following the P4AU story when it comes out in Japan, creating a P4AU spoiler thread in the process (with the assumption that there will be no dual audio/text)? It's something that I would link to in the OT, and it would be a decent way of containing spoilers instead of them pervading through the P4AU OT and this community thread.

Also, I'm assuming that if, hypothetically, Makoto were a playable character in the game, he'd have to be as labeled as [Redacted] in this thread, right?

I'll name him [redacted #2] :p

Brilliant! ...But now everyone who's seen this would know who that refers to, so great.

pan-hime

Anyone here planning on following the P4AU story when it comes out in Japan, creating a P4AU spoiler thread in the process (with the assumption that there will be no dual audio/text)? It's something that I would link to in the OT, and it would be a decent way of containing spoilers instead of them pervading through the P4AU OT and this community thread.

Also, I'm assuming that if, hypothetically, Makoto were a playable character in the game, he'd have to be as labeled as [Redacted] in this thread, right?
I'll name him [redacted #2] :p

Hey guys. With the advent of the 2014-2015 NFL season upon us, I was wondering if there are enough football fans here to possibly warrant a #PersonaGAF fantasy football league? I know the crossover might be small (lol), but I thought I'd gauge interest here before pursuing another league.

We don't need to force anything right now as we still have a couple of weeks before the season starts. I'm thinking it would be at least a 10 person league, preferably 12. And if there's more, well then I'm sure we can figure something out! But please post or PM me if you think it'd be something you might be interested in. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry if this is too off-topic. I'm sure if we get this started we can refrain from spamming sports stuff here and keep it in the actual league.

Edit #2: This would be a totally free league. Just for fun!

LX_Theo

Banned
Hey guys. With the advent of the 2014-2015 NFL season upon us, I was wondering if there are enough football fans here to possibly warrant a #PersonaGAF fantasy football league? I know the crossover might be small (lol), but I thought I'd gauge interest here before pursuing another league.

We don't need to force anything right now as we still have a couple of weeks before the season starts. I'm thinking it would be at least a 10 person league, preferably 12. And if there's more, well then I'm sure we can figure something out! But please post or PM me if you think it'd be something you might be interested in. Thanks!

I generally try to avoid fantasy football since it always feels like my team does worse when I do it. But, I'd be up for it. Assuming its a typical free league of course. Can't say I'm much of a converser in fantasy leagues, though.

abrack08

Edit: Sorry if this is too off-topic. I'm sure if we get this started we can refrain from spamming sports stuff here and keep it in the actual league.

I'm definitely in, let's do it P-GAF

Mdesilva

Brilliant! ...But now everyone who's seen this would know who that refers to, so great.
If he's in and anyone manages to stay on the internet and not find out, it'll be a miracle.

robotrock

Banned
Persona 4 Arena has been a surprisingly long game so far. How Long To Beat says on average it's seven and a half hours to complete, but I'm pretty sure I have been spending a lot more time with it. Only done like 5 out of the 11 cliffhangers

Xenoflare

Persona 4 Arena has been a surprisingly long game so far. How Long To Beat says on average it's seven and a half hours to complete, but I'm pretty sure I have been spending a lot more time with it. Only done like 5 out of the 11 cliffhangers

I recall that ArcSys said the story mode for P4AU is going to be shorter since it follows the BBCP structure where the story mode is one cohesive flow instead of individual chapters for each character.

It makes a lot of sense.

robotrock

Banned
I recall that ArcSys said the story mode for P4AU is going to be shorter since it follows the BBCP structure where the story mode is one cohesive flow instead of individual chapters for each character.

It makes a lot of sense.

Yeah that sounds solid. I haven't finished the game yet but I still have no idea why each character saves the day in their own story.

Sophia

Seven hours is accurate if you read fast + do only the minimum required routes. That is
One from Yu/Yosuke/Yukiko/Chie. One from Kanji/Teddie. One from Mitsuru/Aigis/Naoto/Akihiko. And Labrys.

robotrock

Banned
Seven hours is accurate if you read fast + do only the minimum required routes. That is
One from Yu/Yosuke/Yukiko/Chie. One from Kanji/Teddie. One from Mitsuru/Aigis/Naoto/Akihiko. And Labrys.

Ah, okay. I thought you had to do all the campaigns. I'll 100% this then!

Xenoflare

At least BlazBlue didn't suffer from any continuity issues as the first Arena did, it's just that the story are very fragmented and spaced out.

With P4A, all the routes (sans Yu) are probably not canon.

Top Bottom