• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Nimby

Banned
I was about to post that ironically. Been listening to it for the past couple of days, along with the full version of the F.O.E. battle.

SMTIV is arguably the easiest game in the series after Mikado. The difficulty plummets to the floor.

Seriously. Too many bosses have exploitable weaknesses.

FluxWaveZ

Man, we're so close to the Ultimax release. Randomly posting 3 theories I have for the final character select screen layout, assuming the layout remains essentially the same, that Margaret will be a PC and that there will be a dedicated random icon (the two latter assumptions being practically guaranteed):

Theory 1
Theory 2
Theory 3

Something about theory 3 makes it look to me as though it's the most likely of the three.

(Still haven't listened to any PQ music since the game was released)

redhairedking

Man, we're so close to the Ultimax release. Randomly posting 3 theories I have for the final character select screen layout, assuming the layout remains essentially the same, that Margaret will be a PC and that there will be a dedicated random icon (the two latter assumptions being practically guaranteed):

Theory 1
Theory 2
Theory 3

Something about theory 3 makes it look to me as though it's the most likely of the three.

Honestly, I think 3 looks the best of the bunch

Dantis

Yup. I've been in love with it ever since hearing it. <3

Best track on the game, in my opinion. The bit where it breaks down to just the piano and the drum beat is amazing. The whole OST is so P1P-esque, as an aside. It's crazy how similar it is in terms of tone and instrumentation.

Theory 1
Theory 2
Theory 3

I'm liking Theory 1, given the 2 other characters and the random buttons at each end. 3 works fine for me too.

Levito

Banned
It's been quite a while, but we're finally back...

(Click image for Episode link)

On this Episode PK, cjkeats, Armada, and myself discuss the notion of waifu culture being encouraged and created by a lot of corporations. It sounds weird(and it is) but this was actually probably the most fascinating discussion on the podcast to date. It's also as close as you're going to get to the often joked about "waifucast".

Hope everyone enjoys it!

w3PFuE0.jpg

What's wrong with your faaaaaaaace
doesn't seem like a nice day

:face melts:

LX_Theo

Banned
Maybe, but here's my theory:

Notice what I circled in blue. Random is mapped to R1. This leads me to believe they will take out the dedicated random slot after the three DLC characters are installed.

In the first P4A's character select screen, there's no random button on the controller. So they felt the need to add it for Ultimax.

Credit where its due, this is a pretty logical reasoning. Certainly as, if not more strongly back as other theories.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe, but here's my theory:

Notice what I circled in blue. Random is mapped to R1. This leads me to believe they will take out the dedicated random slot after the three DLC characters are installed.

In the first P4A's character select screen, there's no random button on the controller. So they felt the need to add it for Ultimax.

Credit where its due, this is a pretty logical reasoning. Certainly as, if not more strongly back as other theories.

No, this absolutely does not work. I had explained it before, but there will definitely be a dedicated random icon on the character select screen; it's the whole reason I created those images.

1. No modern ASW fighting game has omitted a random icon on the character select screen.
2. How would the arcade version of the game gain access to the random selection option without a dedicated random select icon?
3. How would players playing with arcade sticks on the console version, lacking the random icon button, be able to gain access to the random select option?

I do not think your theory works.

Arcade sticks have an R1 button though&#8230;

My point is that they don't all do, though I'll admit that's a lesser point against the idea because it might just not matter.

Mdesilva

1. I don't think this is a valid reason.
2. http://imgur.com/dhU8ts4 - I see eight buttons on that pad. Surely they could map to one?
3. See reason 2.
Plus they could always just make it a button combination if they really wanted to.

Hypothetically, that is…

Also, when is Arc Revo? You'd think the console version would bring an update to the game, would it be added later or something? Because I'm pretty sure Arc Revo and the console release overlap.

Sophia

2. http://imgur.com/dhU8ts4 - I see eight buttons on that pad. Surely they could map to one? That character select screen just needs a pad with four buttons to work: Confirm, Cancel, Random, and Pause
3. See reason 2.

In regards to #2, the arcade version only has four buttons + start.

Flux is right, regardless. They won't omit the random button. Even Guilty Gear X all the way on the Dreamcast has it.

Mdesilva

In regards to #2, the arcade version only has four buttons + start.

Flux is right, regardless. They won't omit the random button. Even Guilty Gear X all the way on the Dreamcast has it.
I can't think of a modern fighting game that doesn't have it.

FluxWaveZ

Whoa, no need to be so hostile, but I think I can counter your points:

2. http://imgur.com/dhU8ts4 - I see eight buttons on that pad. Surely they could map to one?
3. See reason 2.

Oh, I apologize if I seemed hostile; that wasn't my intention. I get way too intense when it comes to logic debates.

1. I really do think it's a valid reason when combined with #2 and #3. They've already created a dedicated random icon in previous builds of the game, and why would Ultimax be the only recent ASW game to not have a random select icon on the screen? It'd just be less options for no reason, especially since the function was already established in P4AU itself.

2. I'm talking about arcade cabinets, in Japan. Eventually, all characters will be included in the arcade version of the game, of which has the standard Vewlix cabinet layout. They could implement one of those buttons being dedicated to an off-screen random character select or something, but that seems very unlikely. Has there ever been another game to do that?

3. Arcade sticks come in all shapes and sizes. The arcade stick I made, for example, does not have a button like that. Many others out there do not, either.

Fair enough. What's the question mark in your third theory, then?

You think he's going to be in?

Hell if I know. I'm only presenting those theories based on what we have available to us. Don't want to diverge into baseless speculation.

FluxWaveZ

Hm. Well, either way, one of these four theories (had another, but it's like theory 3 but bigger) is likely to be how the screen layout actually looks like in the final game (minus, of course, how the characters are actually arranged on it). We'll find out in a few weeks.

EDIT: I guess another thing to think about it what would happen if the person doesn't have all the DLC characters? In my theory, each one just one-to-one replaces a random slot. No expanding, no blank spaces if a DLC character is missing, etc.

No, I don't think that theory works either. You simply have to look at how BBCP handles Terumi and Kokonoe's representation on the character select screen when they haven't been purchased/downloaded by the player to see why.

Squire

Banned

On this Episode PK, cjkeats, Armada, and myself discuss the notion of waifu culture being encouraged and created by a lot of corporations. It sounds weird(and it is) but this was actually probably the most fascinating discussion on the podcast to date. It's also as close as you're going to get to the often joked about "waifucast".

Hope everyone enjoys it!

I can't wait to listen to this. Hate that I was busy. The topic is fascinating, the lineup is great, and you know I love the title reference.

Dantis

Hope everyone enjoys it!

I hope Smedwicks got a Rise-related shout out.

FluxWaveZ

Play-Asia's newsletter insists that the JP version of P4U2 is region-free, too. There still isn't anything concrete about it, right?

Just saw that you were talking about this, right? Only seeing it now, it seems pretty convincing to me, actually, since they were aware of the NA region free announcement that happened a while back and proclaiming this outright would only blow up in their faces if it turned out to be false.

Gonna pre-order the PNP today (from AmiAmi or CDJapan, haven't decided).

Edit: Image of the PSC cast in a courtroom set they (may have) used for episode 6:

Levito

Banned
I hope Smedwicks got a Rise-related shout out.

Hahaha I would *never* tease Smed that way. Never.

Like I said though, it's not that kind of episode. There will never be a straight up waifu wars nonsense episode
because everyone already knows Yukiko is best girl.

There is no best Persona girl.
:V

EDIT: Wait, there was an S.Link FM about waifus and I wasn't on it? What will it take for me to get on the show. ;__;

MSMrRound

I wonder if I should delay my P4U purchase...I don't think I'll get the P4U half of the Arcana cards and Teddie's Bop Bag should I go with R3...which is my local region...

cj_iwakura

Just saw that you were talking about this, right? Only seeing it now, it seems pretty convincing to me, actually, since they were aware of the NA region free announcement that happened a while back and proclaiming this outright would only blow up in their faces if it turned out to be false.

Edit: Image of the PSC cast in a courtroom set they (may have) used for episode 6:

Hinting at P5 setting? Makes sense...

Setsu00

Persona X Ace Attorney confirmed.

Oh my lord, the full version of Friends from PQ is amazing.

Not sure why they didn't use the full version in the final game.

A very sick tune indeed.

Theory 1
Theory 2
Theory 3

My money is on theory 3, with the ? box being another character.

Tamanon

Banned
Phoenix Wright would just be weirded out by how long it takes them to solve a mystery.

"You say you've been on the case for 8 months? And no leads?"

Top Bottom