• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

arue

For Lisa Silverman Week (◕ω◕✿)
tumblr_n9pdptpZDy1tpb3euo1_1280.jpg

It's been quite a while, but we're finally back...

(Click image for Episode link)

On this Episode PK, cjkeats, Armada, and myself discuss the notion of waifu culture being encouraged and created by a lot of corporations. It sounds weird(and it is) but this was actually probably the most fascinating discussion on the podcast to date. It's also as close as you're going to get to the often joked about "waifucast".

Hope everyone enjoys it!

I really do enjoy when Armada is on the podcast.. He always provides a very informative and psychological perspective on the discussed topic. Most of the psychology and marketing concepts that were mentioned, were things that i studied greatly in my degree, so its always interesting to hear them being applied to different subjects and areas.

Glad all you guys are finally back. :)

PK Gaming

Oh wait a sec, I just got hit by an inspiration bomb

Yu: The culprit is Yosuke Hanamura! Here's everything that happened in this case!

Yukiko: Ummm that seems a bit cliche... even for you Yosuke-kun.
Chie: So how did you do it?!?
Yosuke: A magician... never reveals his secrets.
Kanji: Dude, you sound WAY too proud about all of this...

I'm a nerd. A big dumb trashy nerd.

arue

Thanks for the comments guys!

Man, we're so close to the Ultimax release. Randomly posting 3 theories I have for the final character select screen layout, assuming the layout remains essentially the same, that Margaret will be a PC and that there will be a dedicated random icon (the two latter assumptions being practically guaranteed):

Theory 1
Theory 2
Theory 3

Something about theory 3 makes it look to me as though it's the most likely of the three.

(Still haven't listened to any PQ music since the game was released)

Your theory makes sense, especially #3, but what about the character cards? Does it still have room for one more character?

Yukiko: Ummm that seems a bit cliche... even for you Yosuke-kun.
Chie: So how did you do it?!?
Yosuke: A magician... never reveals his secrets.
Kanji: Dude, you sound WAY too proud about all of this...

I'm a nerd. A big dumb trashy nerd.

I smell fanfic...

5(40).png

wmlk

Awesome, awesome podcast. Where are you guys getting that P5 characters are gonna be mad attractive?

Also, I don't think that P4 and P3 characters were marketed to be anything (other than Marie) while they were actually making the game. I just think the game design and Soejima's amazing portraits sold everyone on them.

You guys were really honest in how you feel about certain characters, whether you think they're ugly or attractive...it's true that marketing companies, and the players as well, generalize characters that way. It's tough to admit for some people.

Best podcast I've heard from you guys. :)
There's a lot more I can say but I hate typing and losing interest.

EDIT: Also, I was hoping one of you would bring up SAO when the topic was about self-inserting. Kirito/Kazuto is probably the greatest example.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
So I rewatched Ep.4 and you know after the credits they show a preview of the next ep. I got kinda worried because I didn't see Naoto in there. I hope Marie doesn't replace her during the Junes concert. What's Marie gonna do? she can't play...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
EDIT: Also, I was hoping one of you would bring up SAO when the topic was about self-inserting. Kirito/Kazuto is probably the greatest example.

Speaking of self-insertion.

Isn't Satomi Tadashi in Persona 1 & 2 because he liked Tamaki's design and ended up having his character start dating her?

My thoughts about ep. 4: It was good. Not great, but more like a decent episode in terms of story (the quality of the animation was terrible, though). Not a funny one like the others, but it handled well
Marie's amnesia and the group's support on that delicate matter.
Also, it was a nice way to put the Quiz inside the story.

wmlk

My thoughts about ep. 4: It was good. Not great, but more like a decent episode in terms of story (the quality of the animation was terrible, though). Not a funny one like the others, but it handled well
Marie's amnesia and the group's support on that delicate matter.
Also, it was a nice way to put the Quiz inside the story.

The writing is so tacky, though (like most anime):

"MEMORIES!"

Marie-sona is the weirdest thing. And I don't recall the animation in P4A being this bad.

kewlmyc

"MEMORIES!"

Marie-sona is the weirdest thing. And I don't recall the animation in P4A being this bad.

It was. Oh it was. It was slightly fixed for the BD/DVD release, but the original TV airing of P4 the Animation was hilariously awful at times.

Mobile Suit Gooch

The P4 gang learnt musical instruments within three days or so. Wouldn't put it past them to make Marie magically pick up some musical skills as well.
True.

"MEMORIES!"

Off-topic. Aren't you tried of the Otaku pandering in today's Anime?

Anyway, the animation is weird but it's still enjoyable. (to me)

Jintor

I still don't know why they just didn't put on some throwaway line about maybe playing those instruments when they were little or something

CorvoSol

I still don't know why they just didn't put on some throwaway line about maybe playing those instruments when they were little or something

I assume it was because they wanted to go all out and embrace the stupid of that scene.

I mean for crying out loud Yu senpai plays Trumpet every single week why is Chie playing it instead.

Maybesew

Hey guys,

Help me get into p3p. I absolutely loved p4g. I've played thru it twice and will probably go thru again to try for platinum if I can just get all those Marie lines. I love the character interactions and really everything about it.

I decided to give p3p a shot. I went with a male MC because it was suggested for first time players. The game starts out so differently and really throws you right into the situation. I'm ok with the difference between the dark hour and the midnight channel, but the game seems so much darker overall. And while p4g slowly introduced you to new people, I feel like I was thrust head first into this team.

Should I just roll with it and try and enjoy the ride? Navigating around the school also seems less enjoyable than actually doing all the running around.

Hey guys,

Help me get into p3p. I absolutely loved p4g. I've played thru it twice and will probably go thru again to try for platinum if I can just get all those Marie lines. I love the character interactions and really everything about it.

I decided to give p3p a shot. I went with a male MC because it was suggested for first time players. The game starts out so differently and really throws you right into the situation. I'm ok with the difference between the dark hour and the midnight channel, but the game seems so much darker overall. And while p4g slowly introduced you to new people, I feel like I was thrust head first into this team.

Should I just roll with it and try and enjoy the ride? Navigating around the school also seems less enjoyable than actually doing all the running around.

Roll with it. You are at the beginning right? Maybe you just need a time to get used to the new story and game. My first game was P3 and when I started to play P4 I felt the game to be slow paced but then it developed well. But yeah the story is more dark and serious than P4. Actually, P4 is the only lighthearted game of the series. Also, there are people who doesn't get P3P and when starts to play P3 FES they feel the story much better. The exploring system might do that. It's much better when you can walk around in the school and city.

Marie is going to be the lead singer.

She is already dressed as Avril Lavigne.

If she doesn't sing I'll be surprised, she is already singing every ending in that anime.

Weiss

Banned
So I've been wondering.

The idea behind the Anti-Shadow weapons is that they look and act human in order to properly develop an ego and thus use a Persona, fair enough.

Why do they all look like teenage girls?

Caladrius

So I've been wondering.

The idea behind the Anti-Shadow weapons is that they look and act human in order to properly develop an ego and thus use a Persona, fair enough.

Why do they all look like teenage girls?

The human used as a basis for their personality constructs (Arena Spoilers)
was a dying girl.

Silky

Banned
Hey guys,

P3P should only be experience with FemProtag. MC is better in FES.

So this proves
Detective Naoto and its transforming male anti-shadow weapon
is non-canon?

Unfortunately no,
as long as they can use the excuse of Kirijo Group using a male human as base of the new Robocop project. Unless they say in that manga that the dude is from the same generation as Aigis and Labby.

CorvoSol

Persona 4:Golden:The Animation

What a fucking mess this week's episode was. I've been okay with this show pretty much every step of the way until this week. I kept telling myself "Oh, they're not doing the plot because this is a supplement" and "Oh, the characters aren't getting development for this same reason," but this week's episode was just terrible.

For instance, this episode was about the Midnight Channel Miracle Quiz, but that featured in for like, maybe five minutes at the very end. The rest of it was a mishmash of Marie's social link, and that's normal enough for this particular show, but there's got to be a better way to arrange an episode than that. Nearly twenty minutes of the most contrived situational angst (where in previous episodes I'd felt it was at the least tolerable) boiling over into what I felt was just about one of the most pointless scenes in any anime I've watched.

To explain why I hated this scene, it's necessary to reiterate that I love the cast of Persona 4. I feel like they're a vibrant, fun group with an excellent chemistry and dynamic that really captures how I feel about my own high school friends. Each cast member has a fair amount of thought and development put into them, and a personality which is a distinct and guiding principle of their actions within the setting.

But not in this episode. Outside of Yu, the rest of the cast may as well have been a hydra incapable of independent thought or action. They were just there to stand around and provide bodies to remind you this OC ship is taking place in the Personaverse. It all comes to a head when the cast sits around a table and each and every person at that table feels it necessary to say Marie's name and basically nothing else. It barely contributes to the conversation, let alone the plot, and could as easily have been uttered by paper mache marshmallow placeholders as it was by the cast.

Bad enough to have the entire cast rooting for Yu and Marie to hook up or be hooked up at diverse points in this Social Link, but good God can the writers not find a way for the party to be themselves at all? If Yukiko banging on a button is the only moment in which her quirky personality is given even a second to breathe, and Chie remains all but silent during that scene maybe you've fucked the writing up, I don't know.

Some of you feel that Labrys is a heavy handed sell and I can see why, but holy cow Marie is so much worse here. I'd hoped this little ditty would help alleviate the problems with her incredibly forced nature, but rather here we are with the decision made to completely scrap the cast's character's in favor of the kind of love story George fucking Lucas would've written back in the early years after the turn of the century.

What a trainwreck of an episode this was.

(Homer pitches some suggestions for the Persona 4 Golden the Animation show.)

Homer: One, Marie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Marie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Marie"? Three-

Mobile Suit Gooch

Persona 4:Golden:The Animation

Some of you feel that Labrys is a heavy handed sell and I can see why, but holy cow Marie is so much worse here. I'd hoped this little ditty would help alleviate the problems with her incredibly forced nature, but rather here we are with the decision made to completely scrap the cast's character's in favor of the kind of love story George fucking Lucas would've written back in the early years after the turn of the century.

What a trainwreck of an episode this was.

Lol God damn. I almost feel bad.

Wait, who said Labrys was a heavy handed sell?

Top Bottom