• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

FluxWaveZ

Maybe physical will get [REDACTED] and digital will get Marie, like how US BBCP split Terumi and Kokonoe.

Marie likely won't even be available when the game launches in Japan later this month. [Redacted] should still be a limited time free character for the PSN version of the game, though, just like Terumi was for BBCP.

Your theory makes sense, especially #3, but what about the character cards? Does it still have room for one more character?

The DLC cards #036 and #037, which were the ones in question previously, should be for Marie and Margaret. If that's the case, they are not an indication of any additional characters any longer.

PK Gaming

(Homer pitches some suggestions for the Persona 4 Golden the Animation show.)

Homer: One, Marie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Marie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Marie"? Three-

i5XIkjCms7cvd.gif

Lunar15

I thought Labrys' story was perfectly fine. It had a solid theme and then used that theme to set up the otherwise outlandish plot.

but...most people did feel really bad for her lol
I didn't feel bad for her, but I appreciate her character and arc. Pretty good imo
SO SAD LABBY CHAN BUT YOU'RE ONE OF OUR FRIENDS NOW LET'S HANG OUT ALL THE TIME
To be fair, couldn't you say the same for Kanji, Rise and Naoto? I mean in the end Arena's story is like any "rescue arc" from P4, so I don't see why it's weird for the IT members to feel bad for her problems and ask her to hang out with them.

CorvoSol

If I had to cite a difference between the way Marie and Labrys were done, it would be that a significantly larger number of the Investigation Team had the chance to actually interact with her. It wasn't just "HERE IS A SECRET TSUNDERE GIRLFRIEND."

That said, I think the problem with Labrys is the same problem with all of Arena: the story is executed in such a hodgepodge way.

(Homer pitches some suggestions for the Persona 4 Golden the Animation show.)

Homer: One, Marie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Marie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Marie"? Three-

Marie was pushed so hatred of Labrys would subside.

PK Gaming

I didn't feel bad for her, but I appreciate her character and arc. Pretty good imo

To be fair, couldn't you say the same for Kanji, Rise and Naoto? I mean in the end Arena's story is like any "rescue arc" from P4, so I don't see why it's weird for the IT members to feel bad for her problems and ask her to hang out with them.

Heeeeeeeeeeell no.

The group slowly acclimates to each knew member over the course of a month(s?) following their rescue. And even then, the process is slow. This exchange between Rise and Kanji perfectly illustrates my point:

(Right after the 2nd midterm)

Rise: Hey, you had that question too Kanji!
Kanji: Shut up. And don't call me by my first name.
Rise: Wow kind of harsh ("comeback")

And you can bet your ass the interpersonal relationships between the group members aren't tight knit for a long while either (if ever!). Like I doubt Yosuke is particular close to Kanji or Rise until a some passes after their rescue. (Hell, Yosuke doesn't even get Yukiko's phone number until Arena)

Whereas in Labrys's case, the group immediately swears to befriend and protect this foreign killer robot that they just met. I'm down with empathy, but you only have to look to the P4 rescue missions and compare them to Labrys's rescue to notice the disparity. Like i'm not bagging on Labrys (I loved her story mode) but her interactions with the P4 gang (outside of maybe Yosuke) are kiiiiiinda weak.

I liked the part where they get all sad and upset over a character leaving that they had known for maybe an hour tops in some cases. But since the canon-ness of P4A will be forever a mystery (unless it totally isn't and I missed it) I'm sure that everyone in the IT are super best friends with Labrys and will act like it if/when they meet in P4A2.

bobawesome

Time to give the final boss of Persona 3 another shot. I've been grinding all day and have a level 91 Chi You with resistance against pretty much everything. I'm going to be disappointed in myself if I still have trouble.

LX_Theo

Banned
I liked the part where they get all sad and upset over a character leaving that they had known for maybe an hour tops in some cases. But since the canon-ness of P4A will be forever a mystery (unless it totally isn't and I missed it) I'm sure that everyone in the IT are super best friends with Labrys and will act like it if/when they meet in P4A2.

What? The IT is always super welcoming. Especially of people who went through that sort of whole ordeal. I'd be shocked if they weren't sad about an abrupt departure.

Plus, all the P4 spinoffs are super canon.

Sophia

It's no mystery and it never will be a mystery. It's canon, they've said it's canon from the very beginning.

PK Gaming

P4A has been repeatedly stated as being canon practically ever since it was announced in 2012. So is P4AU, PQ and P4D.

I think he's referring to the fact that there's no *canon* route.

Since it's a jumbled mess.

Like how do we know if Kanji's character assassination really happened?!? Did Yu beat Yosuke or vice versa?!?!? Did this happen?!?!

Spoiler alert: Yosuke's path was the canon one because I said so.

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
Time to give the final boss of Persona 3 another shot. I've been grinding all day and have a level 91 Chi You with resistance against pretty much everything. I'm going to be disappointed in myself if I still have trouble.
Good luck and don't forget to think positive! <3

Velcro Fly

Will never forget dying on the final boss of P3P because I was paying more attention to dumb Monday Night Football. God damn that Philip Rivers for fumbling on a kneel down and making me laugh so hard.

kewlmyc

P4A has been repeatedly stated as being canon practically ever since it was announced in 2012. So is P4AU, PQ and P4D.

It's no mystery and it never will be a mystery. It's canon, they've said it's canon from the very beginning.
I assumed s/he was referring to not knowing which route was canon or not hence why s/he said that they'll make everyone super close and friendly to her in the sequel to remedy that. If that's the case, then the P4A DLC story mode in Ultimax should solve it.

I think he's referring to the fact that there's no *canon* route.

Since it's a jumbled mess.

Like how do we know if Kanji's character assassination really happened?!? Did Yu beat Yosuke or vice versa?!?!? Did this happen?!?!

Spoiler alert: Yosuke's path was the canon one because I said so.

Yeah PK has the right idea here, and it's not because I'm biased towards Yosuke, well maybe a little. I also feel he suffers the least from flanderzation in Arena.

Dantis

Heeeeeeeeeeell no.

The group slowly acclimates to each knew member over the course of a month(s?) following their rescue. And even then, the process is slow. This exchange between Rise and Kanji perfectly illustrates my point:

And you can bet your ass the interpersonal relationships between the group members aren't tight knit for a long while either (if ever!). Like I doubt Yosuke is particular close to Kanji or Rise until a some passes after their rescue. (Hell, Yosuke doesn't even get Yukiko's phone number until Arena)

Whereas in Labrys's case, the group immediately swears to befriend and protect this foreign killer robot that they just met. I'm down with empathy, but you only have to look to the P4 rescue missions and compare them to Labrys's rescue to notice the disparity. Like i'm not bagging on Labrys (I loved her story mode) but her interactions with the P4 gang (outside of maybe Yosuke) are kiiiiiinda weak.

This is exactly it. I also found a lot of Labrys' story heavy handed, with things like (Arena spoilers)
her dog friend and her best friend she had to kill.
I found it contrived and silly, and felt no empathy for her.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't enjoy it, like, I'm just explaining why I didn't.

Meia

Looking at his route, his route also has one of the only real "persona MC" moments in it, just before the fight with shadow labrys. I'm ok with Persona 4 Arena being the game where Yosuke comes fully into his own. :)

And I still think they handled Labrys's robot angst story better than Aigis's. Though I guess both dealt with very different concepts of that whole situation, I found myself sympathizing with Labrys more.

What? The IT is always super welcoming. Especially of people who went through that sort of whole ordeal. I'd be shocked if they weren't sad about an abrupt departure.

I agree with this. The way Labrys was welcomed by the IT members is fine for me and is consistent with their story in P4. They are good people like that and they know how tough was for Labrys to face her true self. By far, she had the worst experience in the TV World, so it's normal for them to feel that empathy even if they know her for a little time. They barely knew Kanji, Rise, Naoto and they risked their lifes for them.

Some of the IT members reactions towards Labrys (P4A Spoilers) - Mitsuru's route:

Kanji: Uhh... to tell the truth, I only saw you for...a second, so I ain't really sure what's...going on...

Kanji: But it seemed like you went through a lot...Anyway, hope things start lookin' up...

Yosuke: That's way too simple! Can't you think of...anything better to say!?

Kanji: Hey, it ain't simple at all! I know damn...well how tough it is to see a Shadow come...outta yourself...

Chie: Yeah We've all been through the same thing,...so we'd suck pretty bad if we didn't...forgive you...

Teddie: You caused me a lot of trouble! Buuuuut......it was still kinda fun! Kinda!

Yukiko: What we saw wasn't the whole picture, right?...That's just how our hearts are...

Naoto: I concur None of us can cast stones after...you've gone through the hardship of facing...your Shadow...

Yosuke: That aside, I'm just glad you're okay!

Yosuke: I was worried about you... I left you alone,...knowing you couldn't use a Persona...

Yu: Labrys... when you come back, we should talk...

So, I think they actually act normal here.

Weiss

Banned
Labrys does have all the makings of a Sue; she's Aigis' previous model with a super tragic backstory, everybody likes her as soon as they meet her and go to extreme lengths to save her, and nobody even thinks of dealing with the dangers she presents because, darn it, we can't do that to Labby-chan

I guess I don't mind because she's presented in a fairly compelling manner, is ultimately a pawn in the greater scheme of things, and
her Shadow makes it clear that however victimized she was by the Kirijo group, the world she's in is of her own creation and she wants people to suffer and die.

Shadow Ken Amada

tumblr_n7ddv3CC9C1tenks1o1_1280.jpg

Source

and nobody even thinks of dealing with the dangers she presents because, darn it, we can't do that to Labby-chan

Actually they were dragged in the whole situation without knowing what was going on: the whole Grand Prix thing. They were trapped in the invisible walls and stuff. So they were already in the middle of the mess, the best way to end that and escape was defeating Shadow Labrys. It would be really weird if they turn their backs in that situation.

So it ain't like: "Oh let's save her no matter what". They need to do that first because if they didn't, other people could be a victim like Rise and Teddie who were kidnapped.

After the fight, they understood Labrys's difficult situation and they tried to comfort her and befriend her since she didn't have anybody left in the world. The whole thing about Persona 4 is making friendships, so I don't get how that would be odd.

And we all know why this is. :p

This was good! I like VGM composers who let us into their processes. The one in SMT4 was real good (and again reminds me we as a species an entire Megaten OST writ by Tsuchiya).

That was an interesting interview. I find it funny that Konishi gives me this feeling of "I'm no match for Meguro nor Kitajoh", yet his songs are way better than Kitajoh's. I like both PQ and Arena soundtracks, but Kitajoh still has a lot to learn. His songs sound way to similar to each other. There's even a rythm motif that you can find in many of his songs, from P4G to PQ and Arena. It would be ok if said rythm motif was present in a few songs from just one soundtrack, but using it in different games (with different moods) doesn't really work.

Meia

Labrys does have all the makings of a Sue; she's Aigis' previous model with a super tragic backstory, everybody likes her as soon as they meet her and go to extreme lengths to save her, and nobody even thinks of dealing with the dangers she presents because, darn it, we can't do that to Labby-chan]

Honestly, the things you're describing about "having to save her no matter what" are problems more fitting with Marie and her inclusion in P4G over Labrys, to be frank. It's extremely sad that a new character was handled better in a fighting game of all things than in Persona 4 Golden, but so it goes. Gazlinger's thoughts mirror my own pretty well about Labrys.

It's not like the IT can forsake someone in danger, as that would have went against everything the game had established all throughout. HOWEVER,
at least with Marie they set up a compelling reason to leave that situation alone, even if it was impossible for them to do so.

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
Thanks, I did it! I had a bit of trouble towards the end but that's mainly because the rest of my party wasn't really up to the task.

The ending was a pretty big bummer.

Nice one! That battle took me about two hours and went down to the last hit: i.e. if my attack missed it would have been Game Over. So I know how satisfying it is to finally win it.

And agreed about the ending. Ah well. ;< There's always The Answer (if that's not the battle you meant, anyway)

LX_Theo

Banned
Heeeeeeeeeeell no.

I don't buy this. There is a very notable difference between their one on one relationships in comparison versus the group dynamic. The IT is very welcoming and quick to help others. I feel as though your vastly exaggerating exactly what their reaction was, too. Sure, they want to befriend her because of their empathy (like the members of the IT as they joined), but the sadness they showed really just seemed like sadness from an abrupt parting with someone you shared a notable experience with. In terms of their desire to save her, I agree with Gazlinger that it was clearly a mix of them trying to get out of the situation and the typical motivations you see when rescuing someone who was kidnapped.

You know, what is probably one of the best things about the main party is that there is a lot of instances where you see their one on one relationships between them. As a group, they all buy into the friendship and facing truth mantra. Its sort of just how group dynamics end up working. With each other, you see the dissonance in them with relationships like Yosuke's and Yukiko's or Rise's and Kanji's. I really shows their individual personalities off without losing the friendship that ties them to the group. In Labrys's case (and even Marie, really), her experience with the group is just with the group and their dynamics. I suppose that could even be where a bit of the problem lies. Their relationship with the group is too dependent on it being solely a "part of the group" rather than knowing them on an individual level.

Agreed. Marie was handled so poorly it didn't make sense that the IT would feel compelled to save her. She was a pretty awful 'friend to them, since it's shown she had a Persona, but didn't bother to help Yu & Co save anyone in the TV.

Well in P4G she had none, they just gave her Kaguya after P4G cuz reasons.

CorvoSol

Labrys does have all the makings of a Sue; she's Aigis' previous model with a super tragic backstory, everybody likes her as soon as they meet her and go to extreme lengths to save her, and nobody even thinks of dealing with the dangers she presents because, darn it, we can't do that to Labby-chan

I guess I don't mind because she's presented in a fairly compelling manner, is ultimately a pawn in the greater scheme of things, and
her Shadow makes it clear that however victimized she was by the Kirijo group, the world she's in is of her own creation and she wants people to suffer and die.

I acknowledge the point, but I kind of think that the IT being so accepting of Labrys is less Labrys' fault and more the fact that the IT is a group of extremely accepting kids. In a way, being able to accept Labrys instantly is the end result of an entire year of training to be able to accept new people into their group. Especially if you throw Marie into that mix. Because that'd mean that they'd have already dealt with learning to include a popstar, a detective, a shadow that had grown a human body, and a demi-god by the time that they got around to including Senpai's Secret Robot Girlfriend in the group. I'd also argue that their sorrow over her departure is then specifically because they had known each other for so little time. Like, they'd made a new friend and were sad to lose her so soon.

I'm not gonna argue that Labrys is done perfectly, but I still think the way she was done was much better than Marie. Which is the only point I was making when I accidentally opened this line of discussion.

PK Gaming

I don't buy this. There is a very notable difference between their one on one relationships in comparison versus the group dynamic. The IT is very welcoming and quick to help others. I feel as though your vastly exaggerating exactly what their reaction was, too. Sure, they want to befriend her because of their empathy (like the members of the IT as they joined), but the sadness they showed really just seemed like sadness from an abrupt parting with someone you shared a notable experience with. In terms of their desire to save her, I agree with Gazlinger that it was clearly a mix of them trying to get out of the situation and the typical motivations you see when rescuing someone who was kidnapped.

You know, what is probably one of the best things about the main party is that there is a lot of instances where you see their one on one relationships between them. As a group, they all buy into the friendship and facing truth mantra. Its sort of just how group dynamics end up working. With each other, you see the dissonance in them with relationships like Yosuke's and Yukiko's or Rise's and Kanji's. I really shows their individual personalities off without losing the friendship that ties them to the group. In Labrys's case (and even Marie, really), her experience with the group is just with the group and their dynamics. I suppose that could even be where a bit of the problem lies. Their relationship with the group is too dependent on it being solely a "part of the group" rather than knowing them on an individual level.

I didn't really have a problem with them being friendly to Labrys per se... I just wasn't a fan of how anime their interactions were. Seriously, the group interactions with Labrys were anime as fuck.

&#8220;But Persona 4 has always been anime!&#8221; Dude, I know. That should tell you something in itself.

I could do without the "Labrys-chan is our dearest, most precious friend. We made a promise to each other! I totally, completely and utterly emphasize with you. It doesn't matter if you're a robot or a human! I'll protect you forever" These aren't words that are actually stated of course (I hope, lol) but that overly dramatic sentiment is conveyed through the text. There's no hesitation. No second guessing. Lots of intimacy. Platitude preaching. They welcome Labrys with open arms like they've been friends for a long time. I don't care how empathetic you are, it's just impossible to devote such a huge part of yourself to a person you just met (and a ROBOT no less). This isn't even purely about group stuff; i'm talking about 1-1 relationships

It bugs me because it's just a complete tonal difference from Persona 3 and 4. As silly as those games could be at times, they were still somewhat grounded in reality. The P3 gang didn't immediately become buddy-buddy with Aigis, even after shit went down. There was an adjustment period. See, i'm not outright opposed to the investigation team being overly intimate with Labrys... It just has to feel earned like with Persona 3. But P4A completely eschews that. To put it another way, it's like each of the IT members have a maxed out social link with Labrys.

TL;DR: Too much anime. Not enough LIFE.

Mdesilva

I think it's kinda funny that now that they're friends with Labrys they're immediately (two days later) trusting her with participating in a mission to essentially save Inaba and the Shadow Operatives from Persona 3.

So Flux retweeted a couple of cool pictures earlier today and I dug around for some more by the artist. Behold! Persona X Ace Attorney!

I tried to find the original images on the artist's pixiv but they either weren't there, or I just couldn't find them. The gallery's images are pulled from @sakemozayo and their pixiv profile is here. There seems to be a running theme for most of their pixiv works haha

(I hope this post works and looks ok— I did all of it from my phone!)

Top Bottom