• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

PK Gaming

Putting a cap on all this, I think everybody can agree that Arena just doesn't do the best job telling its own story.

To be honest, even though I have complaints with the narrative and characterization, I still dig it.
Like, I can recognize that it's got problems, but I still find myself enjoying it. I'm a sucker for that "Friendship, Effort, Victory!" crap.

Acid08

Banned
To be honest, even though I have complaints with the narrative and characterization, I still dig it.
Like, I can recognize that it's got problems, but I still find myself enjoying it. I'm a sucker for that "Friendship, Effort, Victory!" crap.
My man, you should watch some Gundam Build Fighters.

Putting a cap on all this, I think everybody can agree that Arena just doesn't do the best job telling its own story.

To be honest, I think they did the best they could if you consider that they had to develop a story that was set to occur on a single day. That little time they had with her wouldn't be enough to build such strong bonds.

To be honest, I think they did the best they could if you consider that they had to develop a story that was set to occur on a single day. That little time they had with her wouldn't be enough to build such strong bonds.

And let me just say I'm glad Ultimax is regulating itself to
largely
2 story modes, which will hopefully cover more than the ones in Arena did individually.

LX_Theo

Banned
I didn't really have a problem with them being friendly to Labrys per se... I just wasn't a fan of how anime their interactions were. Seriously, the group interactions with Labrys were anime as fuck.

“But Persona 4 has always been anime!” Dude, I know. That should tell you something in itself.

I could do without the "Labrys-chan is our dearest, most precious friend. We made a promise to each other! I totally, completely and utterly emphasize with you. It doesn't matter if you're a robot or a human! I'll protect you forever" These aren't words that are actually stated of course (I hope, lol) but that overly dramatic sentiment is conveyed through the text. There's no hesitation. No second guessing. Lots of intimacy. Platitude preaching. They welcome Labrys with open arms like they've been friends for a long time. I don't care how empathetic you are, it's just impossible to devote such a huge part of yourself to a person you just met (and a ROBOT no less). This isn't even purely about group stuff; i'm talking about 1-1 relationships

It bugs me because it's just a complete tonal difference from Persona 3 and 4. As silly as those games could be at times, they were still somewhat grounded in reality. The P3 gang didn't immediately become buddy-buddy with Aigis, even after shit went down. There was an adjustment period. See, i'm not outright opposed to the investigation team being overly intimate with Labrys... It just has to feel earned like with Persona 3. But P4A completely eschews that. To put it another way, it's like each of the IT members have a maxed out social link with Labrys.

TL;DR: Too much anime. Not enough LIFE.
I can agree if it all boils down to relying too heavily on an exaggerated shticks for each character (and in this case, a group dynamic). I'll disagree to what extent this situation in the game went to (you're explanation of it sounds like a huge exaggeration, but at that points it really does just boil down to opinions), but that general issue is prevalent throughout the game. Too much falling back on that trait of their's that forms an initial impression rather than developing character arches and whatnot.

CorvoSol

Oh absolutely.

My man, you should watch some Gundam Build Fighters.

YES PLEASE.

I dunno if I can agree with that. I mean, I suspect you mean they did as best they could in that framework and all and I can let that be, but the way each and every route in the game conflicts with each other is a serious problem. If they'd cared so much about story, they could've made it work some other, more coherent way.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I want to read them, go ahead :)

Noice. Okay...*ahem* What I would've done is drop the
amnesia trope
and
the Goddess thing.
I would go for my of a loner type who hangs out at a bookstore. Yu meets her at the station like before and again at some bookstore. Yu talks to her and begins a S.Link. they hang out as she starts to open up more and eventually, Yu offers her to meet the IT at around when they save kanji (maybe later?). Then that's when she starts hanging out with yosuke and Yu at the steak place, Chie and Yukiko at the mall, Rise and Kanji and Naoto. So she at least have chance to know each one on a personal level...

PK Gaming

I have faith in Arena Ultimax's story, I dont know if that makes me a fool or not.

Jojos-Bizarre-Adventure-Episode-7-Speedwagon-Manly-Tears-300x169.jpg

I can agree if it all boils down to relying too heavily on an exaggerated shticks for each character (and in this case, a group dynamic). I'll disagree to what extent this situation in the game went to (you're explanation of it sounds like a huge exaggeration, but at that points it really does just boil down to opinions), but that general issue is prevalent throughout the game. Too much falling back on that trait of their's that forms an initial impression rather than developing character arches and whatnot.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at for the most part. I guess I can't be too hard on them. I mean, P4A clearly had a different set of scenario writers, so the characterization was bound to be off. And for what it's worth, Naoto, Teddie and Yosuke's interaction with Labrys were pretty good.

I went back and checked Yukiko's story mode. She actually did say most of those things I quoted. Hehehehehe.

I dunno if I can agree with that. I mean, I suspect you mean they did as best they could in that framework and all and I can let that be, but the way each and every route in the game conflicts with each other is a serious problem. If they'd cared so much about story, they could've made it work some other, more coherent way.

I agree with you. It is annoying. But at least it was kinda cool to see the inner thoughts of the characters.

kewlmyc

Well with Sho's whole thing being "Who needs friends, that bond stuff is crap", I'm expecting P4AU to follow down the whole anime friendship thing even more. Looking at the translated character trailers so far further cements that. I don't really mind all that much considering BONDS have been in the Persona series from the start (not to the degree in P4A, but still there). Plus cheese can be good for you in the right quantities.

FluxWaveZ

Well with Sho's whole thing being "Who needs friends, that bond stuff is crap", I'm expecting P4AU to follow down the whole anime friendship thing even more. Looking at the translated character trailers so far further cements that. I don't really mind all that much considering BONDS have been in the Persona series from the start (not to the degree in P4A, but still there). Plus cheese can be good for you in the right quantities.

I don't think that will necessarily be the main focus of the story, when Kazuhisa Wada has specifically pinpointed that the overarching theme for Ultimax's story will be to "stand tall and with pride."

If anything, Sho's childish attitude, constant hammering on the strength of solitude and his attempts to proclaim that he's the culprit could be aspects leading to an interesting plot subversion.

Noice. Okay...*ahem* What I would've done is drop the
amnesia trope
and
the Goddess thing.
I would go for my of a loner type who hangs out at a bookstore. Yu meets her at the station like before and again at some bookstore. Yu talks to her and begins a S.Link. they hang out as she starts to open up more and eventually, Yu offers her to meet the IT at around when they save kanji (maybe later?). Then that's when she starts hanging out with yosuke and Yu at the steak place, Chie and Yukiko at the mall, Rise and Kanji and Naoto. So she at least have chance to know each one on a personal level...

To play devil's advocate,
the Goddess thing
actually serves to give
Izanami
the foreshadowing
she
lacked in the original.

I don't think that will necessarily be the main focus of the story, when Kazuhisa Wada has specifically pinpointed that the overarching theme for Ultimax's story will be to "stand tall and with pride."

If anything, Sho's childish attitude, constant hammering on the strength of solitude and his attempts to proclaim that he's the culprit could be aspects leading to an interesting plot subversion.

Obito confirmed.

Heeeeeeeeeeell no.

The group slowly acclimates to each knew member over the course of a month(s?) following their rescue. And even then, the process is slow. This exchange between Rise and Kanji perfectly illustrates my point:

(Right after the 2nd midterm)

And you can bet your ass the interpersonal relationships between the group members aren't tight knit for a long while either (if ever!). Like I doubt Yosuke is particular close to Kanji or Rise until a some passes after their rescue. (Hell, Yosuke doesn't even get Yukiko's phone number until Arena)

Whereas in Labrys's case, the group immediately swears to befriend and protect this foreign killer robot that they just met. I'm down with empathy, but you only have to look to the P4 rescue missions and compare them to Labrys's rescue to notice the disparity. Like i'm not bagging on Labrys (I loved her story mode) but her interactions with the P4 gang (outside of maybe Yosuke) are kiiiiiinda weak.
Wow all right, I understand your point. But still, I think you're exaggerating quite a bit. They have already dealt with their Shadow, they know what she has suffered, they have no reason to not trust her. And I see what you mean about how long it took for Yosuke and Yukiko/Kanji and Rise to have a close friendship, but in the end only one route is canon and that means only one or two of the IT members got close to her, the others only offer their friendship. Who knows? Maybe if Labrys accepted to join them she would have gotten that month the others got and formed a more deep friendship.
I think it's kinda funny that now that they're friends with Labrys they're immediately (two days later) trusting her with participating in a mission to essentially save Inaba and the Shadow Operatives from Persona 3.
Why? They did accepted and trusted some of the other IT members in a serial murder case the moment they recovered from the hospital. Plus they already saw her Shadow so it's not like she's hiding something. And they sure need all the help they can if that's the case.

Yeah I meant to say canon in that which parts of which routes are the "real way" things happened. I know that P4A is canon, even if I don't necessarily like it lol.

Dantis

I have faith in Arena Ultimax's story, I dont know if that makes me a fool or not.

I think it depends what you're expecting. I think if you enjoyed Arena's story, you'll enjoy Ultimax's. If you thought Arena's story was bad, and you think that Ultimax will correct all of its flaws, then I think you are a probably a fool.

The Persona Team say a lot of things like this. I wouldn't take it too literally.

FluxWaveZ

Yea I meant to say canon in that which parts of which routes are the "real way" things happened. I know that P4A is canon, even if I don't necessarily like it lol.

Ah, yeah. Thankfully, that'll probably be rectified with P4AU's Episode P4A, and most likely with its main story as well. It had to be done, but it's great they threw away P4A's awful narrative structure in the sequel.

The Persona Team say a lot of things like this. I wouldn't take it too literally.

I also wouldn't look at everything they say as a lie. The theme he discussed is even reflected in the lyrics of P4AU's main theme song.

Dantis

I also wouldn't look at everything they say as a lie. The theme he discussed is even reflected in the lyrics of P4AU's main theme song.

I'm not sure about that, seeing as we've only heard like the first line of the theme, but either way, it definitely hasn't been reflected in the in-game content we've seen. The stuff with Sho seems to really beat the 'BEST FRIENDS' horse until it's bloody.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure about that, seeing as we've only heard like the first line of the theme, but either way, it definitely hasn't been reflected in the in-game content we've seen. The stuff with Sho seems to really beat the 'BEST FRIENDS' horse until it's bloody.

- When lyrics include "stand and take a step up, no more cruising along", I think it's safe to think that that's a phrase that should be relevant to the work it represents, along with the fact that the song's titled: "Break Out Of The [Dome]."

- Shadows are at the forefront of Ultimax, with the characters they oppose needing to reaffirm who they are and be proud of themselves in order to prevent the goals of the antagonists from becoming reality. A big part of the game is about being proud of oneself, and that's already been shown plenty just in the arcade version's story.

- Sho's thing (and the Shadows) are about attacking one's weaknesses, making them feel vulnerable and questioning who they are and the decisions they've made. That is another facet of the theme Wada discussed.

I already said Sho is all about reiterating that "solitude is strength, companionship is weakness." We don't know what, or if that will lead into anything, but I'm saying that that might not be the primary goal of the story they want to tell, and I'm not making any assumptions as to what they will be. Instead, I will listen to the words someone who actually worked on the game has to say about what he thinks the story will be conveying.

PK Gaming

tumblr_mxbuejSR7b1r9s07oo1_1280.jpg

Yu:
friendspower1.jpg

VS

Sho(M):
20110619140646!Majin-Vegeta.jpg

Geez... I didn't mean to kill the mood. Let's turn those frowns upside down!

At least the nature of Yu and Yosuke's relationship has been accurately preserved.
I'm really glad about that. It makes me smile how the "partner" thing is now in another level of friendship.
Pretty interesting that it was the first time soejima did deformed characters.
Thanks for the translation pepsiman!
Cool bits of info:
-They were thinking about the EO collaboration since two (three now?) years ago.
-Soejima didn't want PQ to be just a "fan-service game", hence why he put a lot of effort in drawing the characters and the choice of purple as the main color over blue and yellow.
-The boxart was difficult to do, but he's glad he could put all the 20+ characters in there, and is anxious about how people who have played the previous games will feel about the characters.
-Chie was the first character to be redesigned, since she'd be the hardest to get right because of her jacket being the only memorable thing while trying to have her original appeal.
-Junpei was one of the most toughest characters to pull off. Like Shinji and Kanji, they are easy to design because as a character they are distinct, but when you squish Junpei down he gets tougher to draw, a problem Soejima faced with Yosuke and two protagonists. But Junpei stands out because he had a hard time with his face, and he turned out to be quite the character.
-About Akihiko: Since the Persona games are in the same timeline since the first game, that means they all have to age. For P4A, Akihiko underwent some pretty distinct changes, but for PQ he tried to make sure to retain his original P3 era essence. This turned out to be tricky because of his head and body proportions, even the first one turned out to be like six heads tall.
-Zen and Rei: Since the point was to make the new characters fit the Persona cast, he initially drew them as he normally would, and then proceeded to deform then. Zen's appeareance is meant to show his agressive and protective side, like his spiked choker. The Bow Gun is meant to show that he's not to be messed up with, but the truth is that from the game design side they wanted to have a weapon that could attack from afar. The most obvious thing that stand out from Rei are her flowers in her hair, and Soejima notes that things like that and Zen's cape aren't there without a reason, and as the player progresses through the story they would see why. He made sure that, since they're a pair, they would contrast each other to anyone looking at them. He usually had them wear mufflers, but that could hampered character movement so he settled with the final designs.

Dantis

- When lyrics include "stand and take a step up, no more cruising along", I think it's safe to think that that's a phrase that should be relevant to the work it represents, along with the fact that the song's titled: "Break Out Of The [Dome]."

I think it's a lot to draw from just one line.

- Shadows are at the forefront of Ultimax, with the characters they oppose needing to reaffirm who they are and be proud of themselves in order to prevent the goals of the antagonists from becoming reality. A big part of the game is about being proud of oneself, and that's already been shown plenty just in the arcade version's story.

Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean within P4 as a whole or just within Ultimax? Because I'd say it's definitely not true of P4 as a whole, but I'd be genuinely interested to know how it's true of Ultimax specifically, as I haven't seen any of the arcade mode stuff.

tumblr_mxbuejSR7b1r9s07oo1_1280.jpg

Yu:
friendspower1.jpg

VS

Sho(M):
20110619140646!Majin-Vegeta.jpg

This is literally what I'm expecting.

Right down to Sho becoming a good guy and having children with the protagonist's close female friend. And naming their kids after underwear.

Lunar15

If that's supposed to be a new Tartarus-ish place on top of Yasogami, why is the bridge from Tatsumi Port Island there?

Interesting. Got anything else?

Well... the idea of a
boss that can only be damaged with almighty or element breaks is interesting.

Eden Riegel's performance was great, but I've already got Isabeu for that.

And finally, the fact that
Izanami is integrated into her at the end
leads to what I feel to be a far better outcome than
P3. Instead of Nyx being a force of nature that has to be locked up, Izanami, as Marie, has now integrated with human society and is actually helpful.

Still, yeah. She gets pushed way too hard and hopefully P4GA is just letting off steam for her more modest presence in the future.

Willsmith1991

Neo Member
Top Bottom