• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

Erm, what?

Like I said. Theory.
Also, no PQ spoilers, which are integral to said theory.

EDIT: There's a
tumblr blog retelling the events of the game.
(With photographic evidence, so probably not BS) Give it a go once you're done.
Assuming Ultimax doesn't spoil it ahead of time...

Been kind of busy with school stuff and work, so idk if it has been mentioned already here, but Amazon updated my delivery for both PQ and P4AU to day 1 delivery on the 25th of November and the 30th of September respectively. Getting hyped.

3QaxvEQ.png

Yep, it's that time again.
Ne8IU8a.png

d14H1FF.png

I tried to think of the cutest retro outfit I could do. Plus you gotta have blue.
Elizabeth, the kooky denizen of the Velvet Room takes on the course. Ever curious, she wants to know of this game humans call "Golf." Sure she doesn't really know the rules, but don't be fooled by her crazy behavior, she will mop the floor with you in a game she's never played!

Up next is her big sister.

Style

Banned
Ne8IU8a.png

Elizabeth, the kooky denizen of the Velvet Room takes on the course. Ever curious, she wants to know of this game humans call "Golf." Sure she doesn't really know the rules, but don't be fooled by her crazy behavior, she will mop the floor with you in a game she's never played!

Great work, once again!

This is literally what I'm expecting.

Right down to Sho becoming a good guy and having children with the protagonist's close female friend. And naming their kids after underwear.
ibg3ysLT4EkCCq.gif

I'm really glad about that. It makes me smile how the "partner" thing is now in another level of friendship.

Cool bits of info:
-They were thinking about the EO collaboration since two (three now?) years ago.
-Soejima didn't want PQ to be just a "fan-service game", hence why he put a lot of effort in drawing the characters and the choice of purple as the main color over blue and yellow.
-The boxart was difficult to do, but he's glad he could put all the 20+ characters in there, and is anxious about how people who have played the previous games will feel about the characters.
-Chie was the first character to be redesigned, since she'd be the hardest to get right because of her jacket being the only memorable thing while trying to have her original appeal.
-Junpei was one of the most toughest characters to pull off. Like Shinji and Kanji, they are easy to design because as a character they are distinct, but when you squish Junpei down he gets tougher to draw, a problem Soejima faced with Yosuke and two protagonists. But Junpei stands out because he had a hard time with his face, and he turned out to be quite the character.
-About Akihiko: Since the Persona games are in the same timeline since the first game, that means they all have to age. For P4A, Akihiko underwent some pretty distinct changes, but for PQ he tried to make sure to retain his original P3 era essence. This turned out to be tricky because of his head and body proportions, even the first one turned out to be like six heads tall.
-Zen and Rei: Since the point was to make the new characters fit the Persona cast, he initially drew them as he normally would, and then proceeded to deform then. Zen's appeareance is meant to show his agressive and protective side, like his spiked choker. The Bow Gun is meant to show that he's not to be messed up with, but the truth is that from the game design side they wanted to have a weapon that could attack from afar. The most obvious thing that stand out from Rei are her flowers in her hair, and Soejima notes that things like that and Zen's cape aren't there without a reason, and as the player progresses through the story they would see why. He made sure that, since they're a pair, they would contrast each other to anyone looking at them. He usually had them wear mufflers, but that could hampered character movement so he settled with the final designs.

It surprises me a lot Soejima found so difficult to portray a small as possible the distinct things of Chie to a deformed or smaller version of herself.
As someone who worked doing hundreds of dc characters in scribblenaut form for the last scribblenauts (not deformed but you basically need to think the same when trying to do the character and putting its more distinctive aspects in a really small version) I find Chie really easy to make her distinctive on a smaller version (in fact I wanted to try in some weeks doing the persona characters on scribblenaut form), and thats becuase I think is so well designed from the beginning, and its not only because of her jacket (although its a defining aspect). Same with the majority of P4 and P3 characters.

The toughest characters I had to portray in Scribblenauts where the worst designed ones by DC. Usually heroes and villians from the 90's, with too much details for their own good, I dont think any of the Persona characters enters into that category, not even NPCs, thats why it surprises me so much he found it so difficult. He had to change the eyes of Kanji and Junpei so they retained their character, but I think what he did worked really well.

Ne8IU8a.png

Chet Rippo strikes again! Love she seems to have no clue of using a club. lol

PK Gaming

Ne8IU8a.png

"Ahh, yes...a mystical device that allows one to partake in the sport known as golf. This must be a golf club?"

(Great drawing btw. Liz looks hella cute!)

It surprises me a lot Soejima found so difficult to portray a small as possible the distinct things of Chie to a deformed or smaller version of herself.
As someone who worked doing hundreds of dc characters in scribblenaut form for the last scribblenauts (not deformed but you basically need to think the same when trying to do the character and putting its more distinctive aspects in a really small version) I find Chie really easy to make her distinctive on a smaller version (in fact I wanted to try in some weeks doing the persona characters on scribblenaut form), and thats becuase I think is so well designed from the beginning, and its not only because of her jacket (although its a defining aspect). Same with the majority of P4 and P3 characters.

The toughest characters I had to portray in Scribblenauts where the worst designed ones by DC. Usually heroes and villians from the 90's, with too much details for their own good, I dont think any of the Persona characters enters into that category, not even NPCs, thats why it surprises me so much he found it so difficult. He had to change the eyes of Kanji and Junpei so they retained their character, but I think what he did worked really well.

Chet Rippo strikes again! Love she seems to have no clue of using a club. lol

I've argued Chie is hard to get right without degenerating into Generic Genki Girl #394729 and her hairdo is distinctive and very specific (note how longer hair in the P4G ending pic changes her look so completely for being so minor). I guess he's just so savvy with those aspects being Based Soejima, I guess!

squadr0n

Like I said. Theory.
Also, no PQ spoilers, which are integral to said theory.

EDIT: There's a
tumblr blog retelling the events of the game.
(With photographic evidence, so probably not BS) Give it a go once you're done.
Assuming Ultimax doesn't spoil it ahead of time...

Id really like to take a look at this theory as well, is there a link by any chance.

I've argued Chie is hard to get right without degenerating into Generic Genki Girl #394729 and her hairdo is distinctive and very specific (note how longer hair in the P4G ending pic changes her look so completely for being so minor). I guess he's just so savvy with those aspects being Based Soejima, I guess!

Yep his hair and green jacket are what make her design special. As she has a rounder face than yukiko maybe he thought that aspect would have been lost when all the characters where deformed making her less distinctive, but I dont think thats the case, he made a great character design from the get a go.

PK Gaming

Nenilein said:
However, as for the “girl” thing with Minazuki, this has been called into question now. You see, the term Minazuki uses in these win quotes in the Arcade Mode is “Ano Ko”. “Ano Ko” is usually used to refer to girls, yes, but it can also be used to refer to little boys under some conditions… and some official screenshots from the translated version of P4U2 make it look like Minazuki was, in fact, referring to Sho himself. Yep, looks like he considers him a cute, little kid. Who’d have thought?

bqPVDzN.png

LX_Theo

Banned
That's... odd. The girl thing... Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I could, however, see the little kid angle if they went that route. It'd certainly be some subversion, but I could see some really interesting paths they could take that.

PK Gaming

Oh, was the theory that Minazuki was a girl?

No, that's an entirely different theory pertaining to PQ and Ultimax. Best to avoid talking about it for now since it's spoiler-heavy.

Anyway, a long time ago, Minazuki's arcade win quotes were translated and people discovered that he made passing references to protecting a girl. Or so we thought. The official localization made it clear that he was referring to a boy (presumably Sho). I just think it's funny that the whole mixup happened because he used the term "Ano Ko." I seriously want to know what their relationship is like

:lol

arue

Heh I like how Elizabeth looks confused at the golf club. Great job Chet!

Minazuki/Sho reminds me of Ronald McDonald, especially the hair :p

Snakeyes

There isn't a correlation.

Eh, this may be completely off the mark, but I feel like there's only so much character development/interactions you can fit into a fighting game before it becomes too long-winded, even if one character's entire story mode consists mostly of cutscenes. Given those constraints, I don't think there was a better way to write the IT's relationship with Labrys while staying true to P4's theme of friendship and all.

FluxWaveZ

Eh, this may be completely off the mark, but I feel like there's only so much character development/interactions you can fit into a fighting game before it becomes too long-winded, even if one character's entire story mode consists mostly of cutscenes. Given those constraints, I don't think there was a better way to write the IT's relationship with Labrys while staying true to P4's theme of friendship and all.

What if there are no individual character story chapters, but more general, linear ones such as BBCP, MK9, Injustice or P4AU?

FluxWaveZ

The number of atlustube character trailer views is an okay indication of character popularity, though they're also influenced by other factors.

No, that's an entirely different theory pertaining to PQ and Ultimax. Best to avoid talking about it for now since it's spoiler-heavy.
Hey PK, since you have spoiled PQ for yourself, without saying anything spoilerish, who would you say it's the best character represented in the game or the one who has the best moments/enjoyed the most in your opinion?
Thought this was interesting: P4AU character popularity based on Twitter shares:
Holy cow, Rise and Ken are the most popular normal and Shadow characters (along with Redacted). Also poor Yukari :(
Hahahahahahahahaha figured Ken's new design would be popular.
The only reason Ken is so high is because of Koromaru, certainly.

Snakeyes

What if there are no individual character story chapters, but more general, linear ones such as BBCP, MK9, Injustice or P4AU?

I dunno, never played any of the three games you mentioned. Were the stories good in those?

And damn, looks like Twitter don't care for SEES. The Ken tweets are probably salt.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, never played any of the three games you mentioned. Were the stories good in those?

Yes, at least in terms of how the story was told. It's kinda weird to say that bad storytelling is inherent to the fighting game genre when I assume you've only been exposed to the standard storytelling ones such as what SFIV uses. The P4AU devs., for example, made the conscious decision to switch the structure of the story, sacrificing the time it will take to complete the entire mode (compared to P4A) in order to improve the coherency and density of the plot, in addition to other stuff like having many more anime cutscenes.

PK Gaming

Hey PK, since you have spoiled PQ for yourself, without saying anything spoilerish, who would you say it's the best character represented in the game or the one who has the best moments/enjoyed the most in your opinion

It's too early to say for sure, but from what I've seen the characters are generally enjoyable (Even Marie was somewhat likable). There are a lot of awesome sequences in the game, and I can't wait to play through the localized version.

Top Bottom