• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Nintendo Persona is going to go up against Sony Persona. They're different platforms, but two big Atlus console RPGs going against each other, considering their dedicated fanbase, probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.

Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier. I really doubt The Artist Formally Known as SMTxFE will launch near P5, it just doesn't make too much sense to me. Probably separated by a month or two to prevent any potential cannibalization of sales. It'll be interesting to see if things actually work out that way.

LX_Theo

Banned
I think you guys are just really pleased with the art. Watch both trailers back to back. The assets are definitely better in FE. The FE characters are particularly more detailed than anyone in the P5 trailer. And that could change, given they haven't shown a ton of the demons.

I have been. I don't see it.

I think you're overstating how good IR:FE looks. Every time I watch it I keep finding stuff that looks low quality.

Haven't seen this posted, so apologies if this is old, but Persona Q got nominated for Best Vocal Ensemble in a Video Game at the BTVA awards. Liam O'Brien and Cindy Robinson got noms for their individual work as well for PQ and Ultimax respectively. If you guys have time, you should go there and vote for whatever voice actors you want, and give 'em some love (keep in mind you need an account to vote).

Yellow_Magic

Neo Member
Finally, a glimpse of the long-awaited Persona x Fire Emblem

To be fair, it could always be an SMTIV-style bait-and-switch. Will have to wait and see. .

Squire

Banned
where do you see it looking better/ The overworld stuff looks less detailed for sure.

I already said those character models definitely look more detailed (not the generic citizens, the characters in combat), but I'm not trying to start a pissing contest between the two; I don't really want to fight about it.

I think both look great. I'm buying both.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
SMTxFE ended up making persona seem less anime, which is pretty incredible.

So, now that the pretense of SMT and FE are gone, I can safely ignore that game, as I would have done were it announced without the two titles attached to it. Does not look good.

Yes, there's more to be seen, but I dunno. Nothing seemed that compelling and it looked like your average anime RPG. Do we even know which atlus team is working on it?

I recommend looking a lil deeper.

Rhapsody

Banned
I will admit that the SMTxFE trailer doesn't really have me too excited for the game as I initially was. The game being "anime" isn't the problem for me, especially with the types of games I play. It just wasn't the game I was expecting. I thought the game was going to take a lot of the series roots and mix them together. Instead (at the moment), it mostly ended up taking ideas and turning it into something new.

Not saying that's a bad thing though, it could end up being really interesting. It could end up surprising and different. As of right now though, I can patiently wait for the game to release since I'm not too eager.

The "pandering and waifu" arguments really get old for me though, but I don't expect GAF to change that front. Rather than that, I will say I'm getting tired of Japan wanting to integrate a school-type setting for too many JRPGs. While I don't even know if the game will even be featuring that really, I really hope it doesn't.

Guess Who

Banned
I already said those character models definitely look more detailed (not the generic citizens, the characters in combat), but I'm not trying to start a pissing contest between the two; I don't really want to fight about it.

I'd agree that the SMTxFE characters have a lot more detail in their textures, but that's purely an art style difference, not a quality difference.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm stunned the game is anything other than vaporware.

I've only seen the trailer without sound, and while it's certainly not what I was expecting, I'm not sure why so many people are being negative about it.

Alright. I also understand the reasonable pessimist perspective when it comes to this, though. I can see a case where Persona 5 is pushed back because the loss they would incur from a delay wouldn't be as large as the loss they would incur if they didn't get the other 2015 localized titles they're releasing out there. Thoughts like that.

Wonder if Nintendo Persona is going to go up against Sony Persona. They're different platforms, but two big Atlus console RPGs going against each other, considering their dedicated fanbase, probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.

SMTxFE is 2016 at the EARLIEST

DNAbro

I'm stunned the game is anything other than vaporware.

I've only seen the trailer without sound, and while it's certainly not what I was expecting, I'm not sure why so many people are being negative about it.

Play the sound, you might know why.

EDIT: Slightly related to SMT X Fire Emblem, it's supposed to come out Winter 2015, I assume that Atlus wouldn't want two of their big console RPGs to release to close to each other so doesn't that make it more likely that P5 will be releasing earlier like many of us thought? Though it could be Winter 2015 the same way P5 was Winter 2014.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Speaking of yet to be revealed P5 party members, what do you guys think the other character roles will be in the team? Following thief group dynamics, so far we have our "boss", the mc (also doubles as our Gentlemen thief) , Anne as our cat burglar/seductress?, Ryuji as the muscle and Morgana as....I'm not entirely sure about her, maybe our guide? She is a supernatural entity.

Now we def gonna have some sort of "Hacker" party member, someone good with computers to turn off any alarms and traps during a heist. And maybe someone driving a get away car? Maybe we'll also have a traitor in the group too, who knows.

Dantis

I wouldn't say the characters look better, but I'd say they're equally as good. The character models are genuinely really good. Sort of strange that it isn't at all cel shaded, though.

The game doesn't look to have the same consistency in art direction as Persona, though.

Squire

Banned
I wouldn't say the characters look better, but I'd say they're equally as good. The character models are genuinely really good. Sort of strange that it isn't at all cel shaded, though.

The game doesn't look to have the same consistency in art direction as Persona, though.

That's wgat I meant, more or less.

I would say the vast majority of games in general don't have consistency in their art on the level of Persona. P5 in particular, just based on that trailer. toi8 is no Soejima, but that's OK.

wmlk

Honestly, from that trailer, if we're talking art style, I got more of a Natsuiro High School: Seishun Hakusho vibe than Persona (other than the UI elements).

I don't mind the art style of either, and I obviously prefer Persona, but just because they have similarities here and there doesn't mean that even the slightest differences can't break them very much apart, especially considering how many high-school derivatives there are from Japan.

I'm still excited for #FE, but only because of the pedigree behind it. I didn't like that trailer at all.

I guess we have another JRPG to look forward to, though. Just doesn't rank up there with the likes of P5, Xenoblade X, and FFXV for me.

PK Gaming

What do you mean by this?! o-o

Asking because I'm looking to pick up a copy and I wanna ask ya'll how is it?

I learned not to jump to conclusions, basically. I was pessimistic about PQ when I watched that first trailer, but I ended up really enjoying it. You should definitely get it, it's a good game.

Nimby

Banned
I'm definitely more interested in Persona 5 than SMTxFE right now. The atmosphere and characters appeal to me way more than what was shown in the SMTxFE trailer.

MudoSkills

Play the sound, you might know why.

Yeah, the song isn't doing it any favours sounding so much like an anime intro, but it's not like it seems out of place with what we're seeing.

I'm not sure why people seem so upset that a Japanese RPG appears to be very Japanese.

MudoSkills

I'm basically kidding, because people are mad and I think it's funny.

Don't give me an essay deconstructing the comment in response... please.

Japan right? Heh.

Nimby

Banned
This is made by the Devil Survivor team right, those designs honestly look similar to what Yasuda would draw. The aesthetic is nice, but it's far from what I'd associate with mainline SMT. The minute I see more SMT tropes and styled gameplay, then I'll pick this up. If not, well I'll just treat it as a new game altogether.

FluxWaveZ

This is made by the Devil Survivor team right, those designs honestly look similar to what Yasuda would draw.

We don't know. Producer is Devil Survivor director Shinjiro Takada. Character designer is toi8. Other "creators," including within Atlus, have been hinted at and will be revealed in the future.

Squire

Banned
We don't know. Producer is Devil Survivor director Shinjiro Takada. Character designer is toi8. Other "creators," including within Atlus, have been hinted at and will be revealed in the future.

I can't imagine it's not the DS team though. IntSys just came off Code Steam and now they're doing two versions of FE: if. Duckroll made a good point that it wouldn't make much sense to have Team Maniax make this. The DS team is/was available as far as anyone knows.

Jury's out on the creative leads, but this almost certainly the DS team that's actually developing the raw content.

FluxWaveZ

I can't imagine it's not the DS team though. IntSys just came off Code Steam and now they're doing two versions of FE: if. Duckroll made a good point that it wouldn't make much sense to have Team Maniax make this. The DS team is/was available as far as anyone knows.

Jury's out on the creative leads, but this almost certainly the DS team that's actually developing the raw content.

The reasoning I heard initially and that I agreed with was that Team Maniax was busy with SMTIV when SMTxFE was announced, so another team would have been responsible for its initial and ongoing development. That combined with Team Maniax having been in active development in a project from late 2013 all the way through 2014.

I just mean that nothing's been confirmed, and it also sounds like Atlus members from other teams might be involved with this game, going by what Takada said.

Squire

Banned
The reasoning I heard initially and that I agreed with was that Team Maniax was busy with SMTIV when SMTxFE was announced, so another team would have been responsible for its initial and ongoing development. That combined with Team Maniax having been in active development in a project from late 2013 all the way through 2014.

I just mean that nothing's been confirmed, and it also sounds like Atlus members from other teams might be involved with this game, going by what Takada said.

Ah, I see. Yeah, probably. It's definitely looking more like FE by way of Atlus; A mix with SMT elements rather than specific charaxters. Wouldn't surprise me if multiple notable people at Atlus want to be a part of it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm sure there are a number like me. People who don't have a Wii U, but are interested in it because of SMT and/or Fire Emblem.

I still have no plans to buy a Wii U, but if it turns out good then its on my list if I ever get a deal for one I'd be happy with.

I will say, the trailer did one thing well. It made it clear its not an FE or SMT mainline game. I had assumed it would be some bad crossover if it ever ended up existing in the first place. While the trailer didn't get me to want the game, it did get my attention to keep paying attention to something I wouldn't have otherwise.

But hey, that was me. A lot of people were expecting and wanting the thing that had turned me off it initially.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. The game seems interesting, but that isn't enough to make me even think about buying a Wii U at this point.

FluxWaveZ

SMT V seems like a safe bet.

I would bet... that's not it. I have the feeling that, similar to how P Studio went from Persona 4 to Catherine, Team Maniax is doing something else rather than immediately going from SMTIV to SMTV.

Assuming that Team Maniax isn't behind SMTxFE and looking at it, there are at least three completely distinct, unannounced games we know should be in development:

1. "Surprising unannounced RPG" by Atlus 1st production in dev. since at least 2013.
2. Game planned for 2017 release which started dev. in 2014.
3. Brand new IP, ala Catherine and Dragon's Crown.

I wish I knew whether the re-unveiled SMTxFE was actually considered "unannounced" until now. I also wonder whether that's the new IP ala Catherine and Dragon's Crown they were talking about.

Things are too vague to know for sure, I guess. We know Team Maniax has been working on a game since at least 2014, and there's the possibility that it could be SMTV, which could also be the 2017 game.

I get this feeling that #1 is actually SMTxFE.

I would bet... that's not it. I have the feeling that, similar to how P Studio went from Persona 4 to Catherine, Team Maniax is doing something else rather than immediately going from SMTIV to SMTV.

Assuming that Team Maniax isn't behind SMTxFE and looking at it, there are at least three completely distinct, unannounced games we know should be in development:

1. "Surprising unannounced RPG" by Atlus 1st production in dev. since at least 2013.

I wish I knew whether the re-unveiled SMTxFE was actually considered "unannounced" until now. I also wonder whether that's the new IP ala Catherine and Dragon's Crown they were talking about.

Things are too vague to know for sure, I guess. We know Team Maniax has been working on a game since at least 2014, and there's the possibility that it could be SMTV, which could also be the 2017 game.

I have to imagine that the re-unveiled SMTXFE has to fall under being either number 1 or number 3, I could see SMTXFE being considered unannounced as there were so little details revealed about SMTXFE originally that it felt like more of an announcement that Atlus and IS were coming together to work on something. Though I'd say it's a safer bet to assume that it's number 3, but as you say it's too vague to say so I guess it's a matter of waiting at this point.

As for the 2017 release, I think SMTV would be a good fit. Obviously mainline SMT seem to have longer breaks between releases so it's possible that Atlus would be happy to take a break and do something new before doing another mainline game.

At the same time didn't SMT IV do rather well? If it did it's possible that SMT V would see a quicker release to cash in on that, in which case a 2017 release would be a pretty good candidate for a quick release while also keeping clear of Persona.

I get this feeling that #1 is actually SMTxFE.

IE#FE fits the surprising new RPG fairly well, although I'd question whether it's actually "different from previous titles the company has developed." I mean, the "idol" theme is different, but it doesn't seem that outlandish for Atlus outside of those aspects, it's still a JRPG that mixes real life and the supernatural. Or there could be two surprising titles I guess, and I suppose we only have one trailer go off on how surprising it really is yet too.

It's Fire Emblem though, so I don't count it as a new IP.

I do feel like the Team Maniax game is very likely the 2017 one, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't SMT V.

jzbluz

If SMTIV is being worked on for 2017, I wonder which platform is it for. I can't imagine the 3ds or Wii U being around in 2017, and they probably won't go back to Sony since SMTIV did so well in the 3ds. The NX?

FluxWaveZ

At the same time didn't SMT IV do rather well? If it did it's possible that SMT V would see a quicker release to cash in on that, in which case a 2017 release would be a pretty good candidate for a quick release while also keeping clear of Persona.

Yeah, SMTIV is one of Atlus' best selling games, and it's the best selling SMT game (both in Japan).

I could see them working on SMTV. I think that game would have to use Persona 5 assets, though; maybe it could be a case of both P Studio and Team Maniax working together simultaneously to create shared assets that both P5 and SMTV would be using, along with that new engine of theirs? I think of that because, if it was a 2017 game, I kind of doubt it'd be for the 3DS.

Might not hear about it for a long while stll, either way...

If SMTIV is being worked on for 2017, I wonder which platform is it for. I can't imagine the 3ds or Wii U being around in 2017, and they probably won't go back to Sony since SMTIV did so well in the 3ds. The NX?

It's in development now, so my guess would be on PS3/4 sharing assets with Persona 5. Although that's assuming it is SMT V, it could be anything.

FluxWaveZ

IE#FE fits the surprising new RPG fairly well, although I'd question whether it's actually "different from previous titles the company has developed." I mean, the "idol" theme is different, but it doesn't seem that outlandish for Atlus outside of those aspects, it's still a JRPG that mixes real life and the supernatural. Or there could be two surprising titles I guess, and I suppose we only have one trailer go off on how surprising it really is yet either.

To be fair, this pretty much took everyone off-guard and did indeed surprise people, so maybe that's what they could have meant. It's worth pointing out how composer Kenichi Tsuchiya was also talking about a surprising unannounced title:
Not just the games that have already been announced, but there’s also an unannounced title which surprised even me. Look forward to it!
And then there's H.I.'s words about what he was working on:
It is an unannounced RPG, which he states will be rather innovative, and he hopes fans will be receptive to it, as it is different from previous titles the company has developed.

It almost all comes together, from development time frame, to what they were hinting would happen when the game would be unveiled. For H.I.'s "different/innovative game" part, we don't know too much about the game, but at least the battle system looks very different from the typical turn-based gameplay we're familiar with from Megaten.

Yeah, SMTIV is one of Atlus' best selling games, and it's the best selling SMT game (both in Japan).

I could see them working on SMTV. I think that game would have to use Persona 5 assets, though; maybe it could be a case of both P Studio and Team Maniax working together simultaneously to create shared assets that both P5 and SMTV would be using, along with that new engine of theirs? I think of that because, if it was a 2017 game, I kind of doubt it'd be for the 3DS.

Might not hear about it for a long while stll, either way...

I'm hoping that Team Maniax is going with a PS4 release, P5 has already done quite a momentous task of bringing the demon assets over to PS3 and PS4 so I could certainly see Maniax using those. While I've had very little experience so far with non Persona Atlus RPGs the little I've played of SMT makes it seem like that series would really benefit from some stronger hardware.

As you say, I doubt we'll hear anything about that 2017 game for a while, whatever it ends up being. I would of guessed next year anyway but factoring in the fact that Atlus has their hands full this year it seems we've got a long wait ahead before finding out what that 2017 game is.

Deviliser!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom