• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to make a petition to change Shadow Yukiko's name to Yunalesca 2.0. Wait, 3.0. That hydra thing in Lost Odyssey still takes the cake.

Also, this game is absolutely awesome!

Jintor

I have a serious hole in my sci-fi knowledge I intend to plug with Brave New World and Androids (although i read it, but I was 12 so I didn't understand it) at some point.

I guess you could say my favorite book was The Odyssey, but I haven't read it, or any book really, since high school. I bought the book because of a work there too...

Jintor

Dantis-kun has made me bump Cloud Atlas a couple of places up my to-read list, but I still have another 50 pages of this god damned TOME on International Law to get through, and then another book about oral histories of the American depression...

Dantis

I need to re-read VALIS one of these days. Shame The Owl in Daylight was never finished. :(

A fellow PKD fan?

High five!

It's a shame that The Owl in Daylight was never finished, but the way I see it is that he wrote a serious amount of fiction, which is more than can be said for some great writers. It makes me sad that he only achieved full appreciation of his work after his death though. Ridiculous.
Dantis-kun has made me bump Cloud Atlas a couple of places up my to-read list, but I still have another 50 pages of this god damned TOME on International Law to get through, and then another book about oral histories of the American depression...

It's worth it. I re-read the final few pages earlier, and they're just amazing.

I'm off to see the film in about fifteen minutes. Can't wait to see how much the Wachowski's have butchered it. Anticipate anger upon my return. :p

Sophia

A fellow PKD fan?

High five!

It's a shame that The Owl in Daylight was never finished, but the way I see it is that he wrote a serious amount of fiction, which is more than can be said for some great writers. It makes me sad that he only achieved full appreciation of his work after his death though. Ridiculous.

Ah yes. So many of his works have been adopted into movies after his death. Almost everyone has read one of Dick's stories, they just don't know it.

Sophia

Give me an example of a popular dick story that many have read without knowing it

A Scanner Darkly. Blade Runner. Total Recall (Both versions.) Paycheck. Imposter. Minority Report. The Adjustment Bureau.

All movies adopted (directly or indirectly) from his novels and/or short stories. :p

Persona%205.png

Can someone make this into an avatar for me please?

Its a shame this is fan art though. The MC looks cool and it has a university vibe.

Levito

Banned
Finally got around to ordering the Persona 4 anime bluray's, they were damn expensive, but I've heard plenty of good things about the series. Only seen bits and pieces of it.

Daimaou

Finally got around to ordering the Persona 4 anime bluray's, they were damn expensive, but I've heard plenty of good things about the series. Only seen bits and pieces of it.

I liked it quite a bit. Its main problem is that it doesn't have the same luxury of time that the game has, and as a result loses a lot of subtlety and nuance in the process. The result is characters end up as sort of caricatures of the game versions and more slapstick-y comedy.

Levito

Banned
Yeah I've heard it feels a bit rushed at times.

I was never terribly interested in it because I actually never really liked the idea of the P4 main character being an actual character. Strange I know, but Yu always felt like Gordon Freeman to me, in that he was more the link between the player and the game universe than an actual character.

Either way, looking forward to watching it now.

Dantis

So the Cloud Atlas film is interesting.

Heavy, significant changes were made.

A Scanner Darkly. Blade Runner. Total Recall (Both versions.) Paycheck. Imposter. Minority Report. The Adjustment Bureau.

All movies adopted (directly or indirectly) from his novels and/or short stories. :p

Kind of interesting that the only one that is even slightly similar to the original story is A Scanner Darkly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is only kind of Persona related, but what's the deal on Soul Hackers difficulty? I've got a friend who could barely play Nocturne but beat P3 and P4 and was looking for a new 3ds rpg. I just don't want to give him something that's 90s Atlus style 'fuck you get killed' difficulty if there's no easier modes.

cj_iwakura

This is only kind of Persona related, but what's the deal on Soul Hackers difficulty? I've got a friend who could barely play Nocturne but beat P3 and P4 and was looking for a new 3ds rpg. I just don't want to give him something that's 90s Atlus style 'fuck you get killed' difficulty if there's no easier modes.

Soul Hackers does have easier modes, but it's much harder than P3/P4. Not as hard as Nocturne though.

Dantis

What you're saying is no asians

or too many asians.

either way someone was a racist

The amount of Asians was fine. :p

In case you were wondering also, the film is much, much worse than the book. It's okay, whereas the book is incredible.

They also absolutely butchered my favourite plotline, which was annoying. It went from poignant and sad in the novel to OH MAN EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE.

neoemonk

Woohoo got the plat in P4G. First platinum as well. I'm a few trophies away from the Demon's Souls platinum but never got around to a new game+.

You can add me to the PKD fan club as well. I've read a few of his works but not in a long time.

I guess I'll pick up Fire Emblem Awakening after two full runs of P4G. That will probably keep me going until Soul Hackers.

Levito

Banned
Wow your first platinum's will be P4:G and Demon's Souls? That's insane!

I only have 4 platinum's and one of them is that horrible Terminator Salvation game from a few years ago. (Seriously the easiest Platinum trophy ever)

TWILT

Banned
I've gotten the platinums for Persona 4 Golden, Playstation All Stars (though it was more of a chore than actually being satisfying for me), and vanilla Marvel vs Capcom 3. Yeeaaahh.

neoemonk

Wow your first platinum's will be P4:G and Demon's Souls? That's insane!

I only have 4 platinum's and one of them is that horrible Terminator Salvation game from a few years ago. (Seriously the easiest Platinum trophy ever)

I don't know if I'll actually ever go back to Demon's Souls. I did most of it last summer and still haven't gone back. I think I just need the trophies for all spells and all miracles if I remember correctly. I would have had to do multiple completions or use the dupe trick on some Demon's Souls.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Same here, no plats but I recall being only one trophy away in Resonance of Fate, so I am pretty close.

cj_iwakura

Only plat I have is Demon's Souls, but I'm content with that.

Really close to Tekken 6, and I plan on getting Catherine eventually.

I don't have any platinums. Closest I had was Crack in Time but I ended up burning out on that game. That and I really don't care about Platinums all that much.

Levito

Banned
My Platinum days are long behind me, the only one's I have are: Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 1, Teminator Salvation, and Uncharted 3.

Pretty close to getting one for Shadows of the Damned, but eh... I don't play my Ps3 all that much anymore.

Only platinums I have are Playstation All-stars (because it was ludicrously easy) and The Walking Dead (just beat all 5 episodes). Other than that, I could never care enough to get other platinums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom