• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pete Rose, MLB's hit king, dies at 83

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Agreed. Especially after the dark cloud of the PED/roids era hypocrisy from those at the top, and now every sports league including MLB, has Draft Kings betting sponsoring it.
I do have a major issue with him betting on his own team and possibly managing differently to win certain games versus health of your team over the course of 162 games

But he should be in as the hitter and for me thats not even debatable

Thaedolus

Everyone talks the betting and forgets he permanently fucked Ray Fosse’s career by trucking him for a run in a means-nothing all star game.

Yeah, MLB is incredibly hypocritical in so many ways, Rose should be in the hall of fame, but dude was an asshole too. And tbh, to achieve what he did, you kinda have to be.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Knew Pete well even though he was very odd off the field its a shame MLB never allowed Pete the hitter into the Hall of Fame over what Pete the manager did
Evidence came out he bet as a player as well. He just sort of endlessly lied about this topic with only partial admissions.

Not saying he shouldn’t be in the HOF, I don’t have a strong opinion on that, but sort of gaslighting the very people you are trying to get to reinstate you isn’t a great idea lol

Last edited:

The Stig

I hope Pete Rose will:
*Undertaker voice*
REST. IN. PEACE.
*/Undertaker voice*
pete-rose.gif

(yes I know it's Kane)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Evidence came out he bet as a player as well. He just sort of endlessly lied about this topic with only partial admissions.

Not saying he shouldn’t be in the HOF, I don’t have a strong opinion on that, but sort of gaslighting the very people you are trying to get to reinstate you isn’t a great idea lol
The only thing I would have a problem with betting as a player is if he had money on say for him to not get a hit and he intentionally did not get a hit, something along those lines

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The only thing I would have a problem with betting as a player is if he had money on say for him to not get a hit and he intentionally did not get a hit, something along those lines
Yeah no evidence ever came out that he bet against the Reds in any way.

I say let him in on the merit of his skill but also do kind of understand the execs deciding not to. It absolutely does make them look particularly dumb considering their overall support of gambling but if you don’t make an example out of players/managers gambling on the sport you are kind of destroying the sanctity of the game even more. We already get endless complaints that everyone is in on some gambling conspiracy. The parlay nonsense gambling on specifics like how many touchdowns / rebounds / stolen bases / whatever makes it all more suss if you don’t police the players, coaches and refs harshly.

I see both sides basically.

Last edited:
Being from England, my only experience with Pete Rose is through WWF and Brandon Dicamillo losing a wallet with a Pete Rose rookie card in it. RIP Mr Rose.

wrestlemania xiv wrestling GIF by WWE

Top Bottom