• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star on mega drive??

btrboyev

came accross this on a website with scanned covers of import games

pstarmd.jpg

I never heard of this...anybody else know if such a thing exists?

ferricide

btrboyev said:
I never heard of this...anybody else know if such a thing exists?
yes. i own it. it's a straight port. it has SMS (US) style music, not the FM tunes from the mark III version. i think that's the only difference.

shrine.jpg

btrboyev

that ps II and IV artwork is nice..so your saying its basically the sms version pixel for pixel sound for sound??

could you explain the mark III version??

I need Ys III just for the music...I just played Ys I and II on magic engine 20 mins ago.

As far as I know, MD PS1 is SMS PS1 in an MD cart, running on the MD in Mark III mode. And since the MD didn't have the special Mark III FM hardware, PS1 uses PSG sound only.

Yep, a straight port - or actually, it IS the original game with a built-in Master System emulator in the cart. It's the 4th most highly sought MD game besides Alien Soldier, Panorama Cotton, and Rockman MegaWorld.

ferricide

SonicMegaDrive said:
It's the 4th most highly sought MD game besides Alien Soldier, Panorama Cotton, and Rockman MegaWorld.
really? i haven't actually seen a copy in japan recently, or if i did i didn't pay attention because i already have it, but i paid like $60 for mine (granted, in 1997 or thenabouts.) battle mania 1 & 2, gunstar heroes, the ooze all fetch much more, for example. i've never seen a copy of PS1 MD behind glass as a big deal, which is a big thing to do with rare games in japan.

there aren't any copies on yahoo auctions japan right now, so i dunno what they fetch in the open market.

Sho Nuff

Banned
"Not so sure what it's worth is, but it is one of the rarest games ever - only 1000 copies in existance."

Yeah, that's what I heard too, anybody wanna buy my copy?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wow, G-A owns 2/1000 copies of it!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ferricide said:
yes. i own it. it's a straight port. it has SMS (US) style music, not the FM tunes from the mark III version. i think that's the only difference.

shrine.jpg

That's a REALLY nice collection you've got there... Yeah, the PS for MegaDrive is one of the rarest games ever, apparently.. I have PS on SMS and the shitty GBA port, so I don't need another copy of it :p (Well, I'll be getting the PS collection)

So tell me, what is the difference between the Master System and the Mark III? Why is it called the Mark III? Was there a Mark I & II. I feel like I should know this stuff, I'm such an idiot. :(

Oh, and Panorama Cotton is da bomb.

ferricide

aerofx said:
Whoa those PS2,3, and 4 covers are fabulous. Especially 3.. so many good memories of that game.
the PSII cover looks really, really nice in person.

FortNinety said:
So tell me, what is the difference between the Master System and the Mark III? Why is it called the Mark III? Was there a Mark I & II.
i'm sure there's a site somewhere that could explain this better than i could, because it's fairly convoluted. sega originally released the SG-1000 in ~1982, followed it up with the SG-3000 a couple years later, and then the Mark III after that. there's also the "mark III master system" which looks like the US master system. i'm not really entirely clear on the differences here, but anyway, the SMS is based on the mark III but without the FM sound capability. i think that's the only difference (and the cart size/shape. japanese mark III carts look kinda like colecovision carts.)

Top Bottom