• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 2: EAD's GC Best?

You're damn right.

I'm not sure they're going to top this fantastic gem this generation.

Though I have to say it surprises the hell out of me that their heavy hitters (Mario, Zelda, etc.) have taken the backseat to a newly introduced franchise.

Maybe EAD's bored with the Mario/Zelda formulas, maybe Pikmin 2's delays boosted its quality... I don't know...

Unfortunately, I'm betting the sales are going to be way lower than they ought to be, and once October and November roll around it's going to be completely overshadowed by the wave of shameless holiday hype-mongering.

But for now we rejoice...

*Noel Coward Parody

Odysseus

Banned
Considering they have done almost nothing this generation, it isn't really saying much. That said, Pikmin 1/2 and Wind Waker have been pretty good.

This is a hard one. I'd say Wind Waker edges out Pikmin 2, just because of its wonderfully grand scope. And Mario Sunshine has the most intuitive play mechanics of any action game ever made. So between those three I couldn't decide which is ultimately better.

Eric-GCA

Banned
From what EAD has released thus far on the Cube, indeed, Pikmin 2 has kept me the most entertained out of their offerings.

Spike

I hope that Zelda has the same type of polish that Pikmin 2 has. Yes, this game is EAD's crowning achievement so far this gen.

Chrono

Banned
I liked Wind Waker better but Pikmin 2 is definitely up there with Mario and Zelda. It's a shame it's not selling as good as those titles though. And I really hope we get another awesome franchises when Revolution comes out. :) And not a game like Animal Crossing.. :p

Speevy

Banned
Chrono said:
I liked Wind Waker better but Pikmin 2 is definitely up there with Mario and Zelda. It's a shame it's not selling as good as those titles though. And I really hope we get another awesome franchises when Revolution comes out. :) And not a game like Animal Crossing.. :p

Animal Crossing is the most original game Nintendo has released this generation. AIAS award winner X3, highly rated on Gamerankings, over 1 million in sales worldwide. You really can't argue with that kind of success, whether you personally like it or not.

Chrono

Banned
Speevy said:
Animal Crossing is the most original game Nintendo has released this generation. AIAS award winner X3, highly rated on Gamerankings, over 1 million in sales worldwide. You really can't argue with that kind of success, whether you personally like it or not.

I was just talking about what kind of games I'd like from EAD and not what kind of franchises gamers would like. :p

Spike

Speevy said:

But, Animal Crossing is a last generation game.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
It was a late last gen game...

AC 2 needs to get the Pikmin 2/SSBM treatment.

A GC and Revolution release is possible.

I kinda wanna see what Animal Forest was like on N64, because I keep thinking it's a GC game, when it isn't.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
A GC and Revolution release is possible.

I kinda wanna see what Animal Forest was like on N64, because I keep thinking it's a GC game, when it isn't.

affig01.jpg

Pretty much the same.

My memory hasn't treated Pikmin well, although I enjoyed it at the time...

Is this game really all that much better? The feature list didn't seem to change up the gameplay to me...

I don't know, I thought AC was an absolute drag.

I'd actually have to say Pikmin 2 is their best GC game. Zelda was great, but the slow parts were too often. And Sunshine was great too, but P2 is the most fun I've had from an EAD game on the GC.

AniHawk

PotatoeMasher said:
My memory hasn't treated Pikmin well, although I enjoyed it at the time...

Is this game really all that much better? The feature list didn't seem to change up the gameplay to me...

Pikmin:pikmin 2 :: Super Smash Bros:Super Smash Bros. Melee

jarrod

Banned
Pikmin 2 > Pikmin > Sunshine > Luigi's Mansion >Double Dash!! > The Wind Waker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Animal Crossing

...haven't played Doshin or Four Swords yet.

AirBrian

jarrod said:
Pikmin 2 > Pikmin > Sunshine > Luigi's Mansion >Double Dash!! > The Wind Waker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Animal Crossing

With your handheld love I'm really surprised you haven't played Four Swords yet. Great game.

Speevy

Banned
jarrod said:

Double Dash is half a game. There's like...nothing to it. And AC rocks. My favorite game EVER.

jarrod

Banned
AirBrian said:
With your handheld love I'm really surprised you haven't played Four Swords yet. Great game.
I want to... need to invest in a NES GBA so I can play with the bf.

Speevy said:
Double Dash is half a game. There's like...nothing to it.
I have friends, maybe that makes a difference? ;)

Speevy said:
And AC rocks. My favorite game EVER.
Seek help. :p

human5892

Queen of Denmark
N Coward Parody said:
maybe Pikmin 2's delays boosted its quality
I suspect this might be part of it. Mario Sunshine and the Wind Waker both could've benefited from at least six months' more of development time. It seems that with Pikmin 2, EAD learned this lesson.

Attention game developers: delays, so long as they improve your game, are welcome!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's alright. Would have truly been great if Itagaki had made it, though. But that's common knowledge.

Speevy

Banned
jarrod said:
Seek help. :p

Bah, everyone has their favorite game. I know Animal Crossing isn't for everyone, but neither is this Katamari Damacy game that's been placed in such high regard on this forum. The point is that people like what they like.

And I have played Double Dash with friends on many occasion. Are you trying to tell me that it has even 1/4 of the multiplayer modes, options, features, cars, or anything else of your average racing game? I mean, it's fun (all EAD games are), but I expect much better from the developer. Lazy effort IMO.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Yeah, Id say so.

But it would have been TWW if they had just upped the difficulty and removed the fetch quest.
And added a few more dungeons, and put worthwhile things on the smaller islands, and made the item acquistion more logical (i.e., as opposed to finding mega-important items just lying around and having to work very hard for non-essential ones).

It just breaks my heart to play Wind Waker and see so much wasted potential, and it's made even worse by the fact that what is there is pretty damn good.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
human5892 said:
And added a few more dungeons, and put worthwhile things on the smaller islands, and made the item acquistion more logical (i.e., as opposed to finding mega-important items just lying around and having to work very hard for non-essential ones).

It just breaks my heart to play Wind Waker and see so much wasted potential, and it's made even worse by the fact that what is there is pretty damn good.

Yeah, all that would make it better. But it'd still be a pretty good game if they just upped the difficulty and got rid of the fetch quest.

tt_deeb

Animal Crossing is my favorite game ever too. It's charm is unbeatable. I have Pikmin 2 sitting here unopened and I think I'm going to go play it soon.

I don't know...EAD has gone some awesome stuff for the GameCube...The Wind Waker, Pikmin 2, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine...All among my favorites of the generation.

jarrod

Banned
Speevy said:
Bah, everyone has their favorite game. I know Animal Crossing isn't for everyone, but neither is this Katamari Damacy game that's been placed in such high regard on this forum. The point is that people like what they like.
Well, I won't begrudge anyone their favorite... even if it stinks. :p

Speevy said:
And I have played Double Dash with friends on many occasion. Are you trying to tell me that it has even 1/4 of the multiplayer modes, options, features, cars, or anything else of your average racing game? I mean, it's fun (all EAD games are), but I expect much better from the developer. Lazy effort IMO.
Well it's fun... it didn't top my list either, but I'd say it was a more competent sequel than Wind Waker (which really needed another 6 months in development).

Top Bottom