• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pink Floyd Sells IT's Music Rights to SONY for $400 Million

winjer

Gold Member
So Pink Floyd just became another brick in the wall....

r07njrH.jpeg

Solarstrike

Man, only $400 Million for pretty much anything PF related. Unless I'm wrong, after Uncle Sam get's his cut, that's like only $180 Million

ssringo

Gold Member
Earlier this month, David Gilmour declared that it would be a "dream" of his to sell the band's catalogue.

Asked during a recent interview with Rolling Stone whether Pink Floyd were still interested in selling their recorded music rights, the vocalist/guitarist replied, "Is it something that is still in discussion, yeah".

“To be rid of the decision making and the arguments that are involved with keeping it going is my dream... I am not interested in that from a financial standpoint. I’m only interested in it from getting out of the mud bath that it has been for quite a while.”

Seems David Gilmour hated dealing with the drama and this let's him wash his hands of it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Man, only $400 Million for pretty much anything PF related. Unless I'm wrong, after Uncle Sam get's his cut, that's like only $180 Million
They maintain songwriting rights, so any covers or re-recordings are there’s (not that there’s much of any chance to re-record with them hating each other lol.)

Solarstrike

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash

Of all the bands out there I thought would never sell out to some big conglomerate company, Pink Floyd was the last. Edit: Welp. Maybe we'll get some tunes in some of the upcoming PS5/Pro/PS6 IP's.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Fucking finally Pink Floyd is getting out of the way and we can get proper AI generated "The Bright Side of the Moon" and "The Wall II -- Another Brick in the Wall Pt 4 through Pt 6"

Hey, PINK FLOYD, leave them songs alone!

YCoCg

Sony picking off those bands, it wasn't too long ago they bought out Queen. I wonder which big name old band is next?

Nydius

Just like Greenday, Bruce Springsteen, Rage For The Machine (now), etc..
When Green Day released their latest album and their first single was "The American Dream is Killing Me", I don't think I could have rolled my eyes any harder. Sure Billie Joe, that dream sure is killing you. Only took you from being an obscure garage band to being multimillionaire rock and roll hall of famers.

Oh the injustice and travesty!
Won''t someone think of the poor corporate punk rocker worth an estimated 34 million dollars?!?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Pink Floyd has been licensing there music out for random movies for a long time. Don’t really think one massive sell off is that different than showing up in multiple MCU movies.

IntentionalPun

When Green Day released their latest album and their first single was "The American Dream is Killing Me", I don't think I could have rolled my eyes any harder. Sure Billie Joe, that dream sure is killing you. Only took you from being an obscure garage band to being multimillionaire rock and roll hall of famers.

Oh the injustice and travesty!
Won''t someone think of the poor corporate punk rocker worth an estimated 34 million dollars?!?
Considering that song (which sucks mind you) references being homeless a couple of times I don’t think it’s a song about them lol

Artoris

Gold Member
it's just another brick in the wall

will that song be in any ps games now

Last edited:
Always curious how these deals work and how the money gets split.

$400m seems like a steal for Sony, but I think the Gilmour was probably happy to finally end the saga. His latest solo record is his best work in a long time.

Top Bottom