• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PitchforkMedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substance

Pitchfork compiling a seventies list is especially exciting to me because there is a small chance of PFM disrespecting major, popular work with its indie slant and bias. The 70's just exploded with so much excellent and recognisable work, and the musical development of the decade is especially notable. It can be split into so many trends.
Even if you despise the nature and criticisms of PFM general music reviews, their decade lists are respectable. Well, at least their 80's list is, the best damn 80's list you are likely to find. The one flaw, though, being Graceland ranked all the way up at #85! Bah, Graceland is a genuine Top Ten Album in my opinion.
Oh, yes, here we go. The first daily update from the intended three, has listed titles from 100 - 61. Controversy will likely strike, however glowingly capsule-reviewed they are, at the two most essential non-numbered Zeppelin titles already having been listed.
Bowie is bound to have the most titles in the entire list, and judging from this first list portion, Pitchfork favours his experimental stuff over his glam/pop work.
Ok, some of the list is a tad ridiculous. Genuine classics such as Blue and Dark Side shuffled behind krautrock Faust. Damn, expect Can-craziness in the next portion.
Raw Power too fucking LOW !
I see these albums making the top ten...

This Years Model
Marquee Moon
Led Zeppelin IV
Exile on Main Street
What's Going On?
London Calling

Anyone like to make predictions?

note: I don't usually act this obsessively or foolishly so don't be afraid to post if you wish.

White Man

In the Hipster Mythos, Funhouse ranks much better than Raw Power does.

Things I want to rank highly:

T Rex - Electric Warrior
Bowie - Low and Heroes
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

This list is going to be easy to fuck up. Moreso than the 80s and 90s, there were a couple major niche musical scenes - krautrock, punk rock, glam, hard rock/metal - that had an impact that could be felt to this very day. Either the list will end up fragmented (a la Bowie's glam albums ranking lower), or it will be a mish-mash of works that can't rightfully be compared to each other at all. One thing is for certain, Brian Eno's production work had better have a few top 10 nods.

Personally, I feel this list is a bad idea. It's extremely hard to place the 70's within the context of a mere Top 100. There are simply too many great albums from this era of music for one to make such a list without omitting a ton of great albums that have just as much of a right to make such a list as the records that are present on the list.

Edit: Shake Some Action better be on that list or heads are going to roll. Plus, I feel depressed that so far I seem to know almost every artist that's made the list - makes me feel like King of the Music Geeks.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh man, i love lists like this. when i'm too lazy or depressed to listen to anything new, i can just go through retrospective best ofs and buy everything i don't have. and the 70s are so easily pop music's best decade. i really liked the pitchfork 80s list, anyway.

edit: is london calling the last great 70s record or the first great 80s record? i think it came out in the uk in late 79, but didn't make it over to the us until early 1980.

kablooey

I'm looking forward to this too. For one thing, I think Fear of Music by Talking Heads will be pretty high up there, since they used its album design as the template for their promotional banners. :p I hope it is anyway. London Calling will be in the 70's list, since it wasn't included in their 80's list. Those two albums should definitely be in the top 15 or so.

Either way, I know there're going to be a lot of records I'll know to check out after this is done. :cool:

edit: And I like that Meddle was put above DSotM. I'm tired of seeing lists w/ Dark Side always being #1.

Substance

Aha! All that is now left is the top twenty. #60-21 has been very satisfying to move through, and there are one or two shocks here and there. This Year Model and What's Going On will not make the top twenty... Really though, nearly every title is worthy here.
Haha, awesome, Saturday Night Fever made it!
'Let it Be' is the least appreciated Beatles album and its great to see it all the way up at number 28. Amazing stuff sure to come....

Led Zeppelin IV
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Who's Next
Imagine
London Calling
Exile on Main St
Sticky Fingers
Animals
Shake Some Action
Tapestry
Low
Heroes
Electric Warrior
Superfly
Another Green World
Autobahn
Trans-Europe Express
Marquee Moon
Unknown Pleasures
Born to Run
Loaded

Oh, and a little known Bob Dylan Album named 'Blood on the Tracks', and that Todd Rundgren record.
Ah, they all can't fit into the twenty.... :(

It'll be disgusting if the list doesn't include any Bowie. At the very least, Ziggy Stardust (maybe not the best in technical terms, but I think it is in overall effect, personally)... but that decade in particular had a lot of amazing material from Bowie.

Glad to see someone mention T-Rex.

Substance

Yeah, well, that's why there is going to be, Oh I don't know, about five Bowie Records on the list. That would be the most amount of titles from one artist on the list. What are you complaining about?

White Man

Did Closer by Joy Division come out in 1980? It wasn't on the 80s list, so it had better f-ing be number 1 on this one.

EDIT: Um, My Aim is True is better than This Year's Model? All around, this second part is making me question the quality of the list.

Alright, I apologize for that then (concerning post below), but, uh, Pink Floyd's The Wall was NOT released in 1977. Pitchfork sucks!

Jak140

White Man said:
Did Closer by Joy Division come out in 1980? It wasn't on the 80s list, so it had better f-ing be number 1 on this one.
It was in the top ten on the 80's list if I remember correctly.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's a bit pointless to carp about the precise orderings of records on lists like this, but putting aim ahead of model doesn't sit well with me either -- the attractions were just a million times the band clover were.

it's reminded me of a lot of great records though...i'm gonna go listen to that first neu! album.

White Man

Their ordering of the Can albums perplexes me, too. I'll give them cred for ranking Neu! so high. That's likely my most listened to krautrock album. The top 20 is going to be a veritable Bowie orgy.

Substance

And the top 20 have been set down. Guess who's the man with the #1?
img00169.jpg

I can swear Bitches Brew touched down 1969.... oh well. Thoughts later.

I think "In a silent way" was recorded entirely in 1969 (not sure, I don't have the CDs here), but "Bitches Brew" was recorded in several sessions from august 1969 to february 1970, and released in 1970, unless I'm very wrong. Could be in the top 10, but I won't complain.

I miss "Autobahn" somewhere... I can't think of much else, it's too... comprehensive. There's a few I've never even heard about. I'll catch up this summer!

Substance

There are loads of crucial work that should have made the list. Sticky Fingers, Born to Run, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Tapestry, Tumbleweed Connection, Imagine, and Superfly off the top of my head.
And the arguably less crucial but almost as brilliant 'Shake Some Action' and that Todd Rundgren record, could've made it too.

Looking at the list as it is, its pretty good. Though, as the capsule review noted, Led Zeppelin IV SHOULD be Number One, and Exile a bit higher. Eh, oh well, Go David Bowie! He's a good man.

And I'm Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom