• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar is now making movies for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

DISNEY!!!!

After holding discussions with MGM, Sony, Warner Bros. and Fox, Steve Jobs' Pixar Animation Studios has concluded that it will remain partnered with Disney, the New York Post reported today (Wednesday), citing sources familiar with the matter. The newspaper commented that such a development would represent a significant victory for Disney CEO Michael Eisner, whose relationship with Jobs was described by the Post as "acrimonious." (Jobs has told interviewers in the past that he would renew negotiations with Disney only if Eisner was forced out.) Jobs had reportedly been hoping that another studio would agree to a deal in which it would receive simply a distribution fee to handle Pixar films and would not share in their profits.

I wonder if this will pan out and if its true. I got it from the Studio Briefing Movie News, via imdb.com

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I wonder if tomorrow Pixar will do a Press Release saying they'll be going with somebody else.

That would mean two in one month for the New York Post. ;)

Memles

Justin Bailey said:
No friggin' way this is happening.

...why not?

Worldwide distribution, a brand name that still guarantees recognition, and it could help them stop Disney from fucking with their franchises and making sequels without Pixar's input in any way.

Pattergen

Not likely you'll here much in the way of solid news. I believe this, but Jobs has quite a while to make a decision, Disney is still slated to release a couple more movies for Pixar.

Somebody got a money hat...

20001023l.jpg

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Memles said:
...why not?

Worldwide distribution, a brand name that still guarantees recognition, and it could help them stop Disney from fucking with their franchises and making sequels without Pixar's input in any way.
IF it's happening, then there's no way that they went back to the original agreement. They needed Disney to get on their feet, but now that they have, they don't need the profit-sharing deal they had before. Pixar's got enough of a rep to handle themselves. I just don't see them going back to Disney after all the smack-talk Jobs layed down the last time he spoke publicly about them.

Mason

olimario said:

Yeah, we got it the first time it was posted. It wasn't really necessary to change the face and text, since most of us somehow figured it out anyway. But thanks.

olimario

Banned
Mason said:
Yeah, we got it the first time it was posted. It wasn't really necessary to change the face and text, since most of us somehow figured it out anyway. But thanks.

You're quite welcome! I had fun doing it!

Meier

As much as I hate Eisner and was hoping Pixar would go somewhere else so there would be more ammo for him to be forced out, it was really in Pixar's best interest to stay with Disney as far as distribution goes. Disney's name brand and marketing power is very powerful still.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Meier said:
As much as I hate Eisner and was hoping Pixar would go somewhere else so there would be more ammo for him to be forced out, it was really in Pixar's best interest to stay with Disney as far as distribution goes. Disney's name brand and marketing power is very powerful still.
God I hate Eisner, you don't want to know the horror stories of what he's done to the animation department (or you can just glance at one of the recent films and get the same effect). One of my professors used to be one of the (many) lead animators there.

Anyways yes I agree with your viewpoint completely.

MASB

TekunoRobby said:
One of my professors used to be one of the (many) lead animators there.
Who is he? I might recognize his name from something he's worked on.

As for this deal, if it's true, hopefully Pixar got a deal to their liking. That would make it, at least a hollow victory for Eisner.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If Pixar goes back to Disney, they'd better be able to keep a far larger share of the profit than before and have guaranteed creative control with at most guidelines for making a certain rating.

I still think Pixar should just get it's own distribution department and strike out on their own. Everyone knows their name and the great films they've done.

You know what this means- the possibility of a good Toy Story 3. If Pixar did leave Disney, Disney probably would have cranked out a shitty TS3 as they still own the rights to the name and characters...

It would be cool if Pixar made a more mature movie one of these days. R rated Pixar would be interesting.

TekunoRobby said:
God I hate Eisner, you don't want to know the horror stories of what he's done to the animation department (or you can just glance at one of the recent films and get the same effect). One of my professors used to be one of the (many) lead animators there.

Anyways yes I agree with your viewpoint completely.

Ahh the poor FL studio. They make one of the only good recent Disney films (Lino & Stich) and then get the fucking axe after Brother Bear. They had the best style going too, with those awesome watercolor backgrounds.

Fuck Eisner, he's running my precious theme parks into the ground. Axe him and replace him with Roy. Roy's our boy! Either Roy or Steve Jobs, please.

Dan

Idle Will Kill said:
You know what this means- the possibility of a good Toy Story 3. If Pixar did leave Disney, Disney probably would have cranked out a shitty TS3 as they still own the rights to the name and characters...
Umm... Disney actually announced a Toy Story 3 the very day after Pixar announced it was looking for distribution elsewhere. Under Pixar's current agreement, Disney owns everything they produce, including merchandising, sequels, etc. Everything.

neptunes

Dan said:
Umm... Disney actually announced a Toy Story 3 the very day after Pixar announced it was looking for distribution elsewhere. Under Pixar's current agreement, Disney owns everything they produce, including merchandising, sequels, etc. Everything.

I also heard about Disney making a Toy Story 3, with or without Pixar.

Dan said:

Yea, I know. I'm saying if Pixar comes back then they will probably be the ones who make TS3, and if they don't, a shitty, Disney version will be made.

I never heard that it was actually announced though. Do you have a link to that?

Dan

http://www.geekroar.com/film/archives/000525.php

I'd get the original press release, but my PC is refusing to open PDF files and that's how Disney has theirs.

Actually, wait, found the text:
DISNEY AND PIXAR END TALKS

BURBANK, Calif. January 29, 2004 - Pixar has elected to conclude its discussions to extend a successful long-term partnership with The Walt Disney Company (NYSE DIS) following the delivery of two more animated features, "The Incredibles" expected in 2004 and "Cars" expected in 2005.

"We have had a fantastic partnership with Pixar and wish Steve Jobs and the wonderfully creative team there, led by John Lasseter, much success in the future," said Michael Eisner, Disney chairman and CEO. "Although we would have enjoyed continuing our successful collaboration under mutually acceptable terms, Pixar understandably has chosen to go its own way to grow as an independent company."

Tom Staggs, Disney senior executive vice president and chief financial officer, said Disney management could not accept Pixar's final offer because it would have cost Disney hundreds of millions of dollars it is already entitled to under the existing agreement, while not providing sufficient incremental returns on new collaborations to justify the changes to the existing deal.

In addition to Pixar's delivery of two more feature films, under the current agreement, Disney maintains the rights to develop and produce sequels to all films created through this partnership, including direct to video presentations, television series and specials; and to exploit all characters and content throughout Disney's theme park and consumer products units, thereby allowing Disney to continue to nurture and grow these successful franchises while benefiting Disney shareholders into the foreseeable future. Disney also owns the entire Disney/Pixar film library, which includes "Toy Story," "Toy Story 2,", "A Bug's Life," "Monster's Inc.," and "Finding Nemo," in addition to the two pictures yet to be completed."

In addition to Pixar, the Walt Disney Studios has relationships with other emerging animation producing partners including Vanguard Films, currently producing "Valiant," and San Francisco-based Complete Pandemonium, producing "The Wild" in conjunction with CORE Technologies of Toronto.

Walt Disney Feature Animation will release "Home on the Range" on April 2, featuring songs performed by Tim McGraw, Bonnie Raitt and k.d. lang. Currently in production is "Chicken Little," the Studio's first all-CG effort, which is scheduled for release in Summer 2005. For Summer 2006 and beyond, Walt Disney Feature Animation is producing a series of 3D motion pictures: "A Day With Wilbur Robinson," based on the beloved William Joyce book; "American Dog," directed by Chris Sanders ("Lilo and Stitch"); "Rapunzel Unbraided," directed by legendary Disney animator Glen Keane; and "Toy Story 3". These movies are all anticipated to break new ground in CG movie-making. The Studio has an additional 20 animated features in active development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom