• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Unreal Tournament 3 for FREE, again, on Steam, this weekend.

Thomper

The free weekend of Unreal Tournament 3 is back, so all those that missed it the first time can now start pre-loading the game on Steam to give the full game a try this weekend.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/13210

CARY, N.C. (May 26, 2009) — Epic Games, Inc. is giving players more reasons than ever to jump online and check out Unreal Tournament 3 Black. This Thursday, May 28, will commence a long weekend in which anyone can log onto Valve's Steam digital distribution service, download Unreal Tournament 3 Black and play the game through the weekend free of charge. Pre-load for the follow-up Free Weekend begins today.

During the previous Free Weekend of Unreal Tournament 3 Black on Steam, the game claimed the number one spot on the bestseller list, and simultaneous player numbers jumped by more than 2000%.

Unreal Tournament 3 together with the free Titan Pack constitutes Unreal Tournament 3 Black. The Titan Pack is a massive bonus pack with loads of enhancements and new content including environments, the Titan mutator, the Greed and Betrayal gametypes, the Stealthbender vehicle, weapons, deployables, characters and more. Unreal Tournament 3 Black also includes over 50 Steamworks Achievements.

Players who purchased Unreal Tournament 3 at retail can enter their retail key by using the "Activate a product on Steam" feature in the Steam client, and Steam will automatically update them to Unreal Tournament 3 Black for free.

Unreal Tournament 3 Black now also includes the recently released Patch 2.1 with even more fixes and upgrades such as award progress when using custom maps and characters, mod support enhancements, various gameplay tweaks and bug fixes, and additional user interface improvements.

Blizzard

Banned
SWEET, thanks. This preloads the full game including the editor, I assume? Which means that anyone who is still missing the editor icon bitmaps or .XRC files will be able to use them from this to make Mirror's Edge custom maps even if they don't buy the game. Hopefully they do a $10 sale on the game anyway, for people who want to buy it.

Crye

I still play this game from time to time but rarely online - the problem is that there just isn't any bloody servers to play on. They are all foreign with pings of 200+, more players ain't gonna do much with nowhere to play. This is from the EU side btw ;)

Epic need to set up some good servers, and people need to play instagib again as much as they did back in ut99!

Crye said:
I still play this game from time to time but rarely online - the problem is that there just isn't any bloody servers to play on. They are all foreign with pings of 200+, more players ain't gonna do much with nowhere to play. This is from the EU side btw ;)

Epic need to set up some good servers, and people need to play instagib again as much as they did back in ut99!
I brought UT3 retail boxed for £7.50 a few weeks ago now and every time I gone online I have found enough full or near full CTF servers and DM to play on, I live in the UK btw.

You are fully patched and up to date right? at one point I was going to make a gaf thread asking the question Why does everyone say UT3 is dead online? because it's not.

*edit* from reading the quote in the OP I never realised I could register my game with Steam, so I just done so. Guess I can uninstall my non steam install now.

Oreoleo

The game is great fun, I suggest any shooter fan to give it a serious chance.

And they fixed my biggest gripe with the game (No stat/achievement tracking with custom maps/skins enabled) so now I can play all those UT99 remakes with real peace of mind :D

Oreoleo

Iced_Eagle said:
*looks at bank account*

Blargh! $20 for 5 games is an awesome deal, but I just spent a lot of money the past two days... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

It IS an awesome deal, but if I can offer some objective assistance as someone who has previously bought the Unreal pack.. the only games I play from it are UT99 and UT3. UT2004 doesn't really have a place between the other two (Oldschool flavor 99 and the new hotness. UT04 is just somewhere in between and doesn't do anything better than the other 2). And Unreal 1 and 2 have held up startlingly badly. It amazes me going back and playing games like Unreal 2 and the original FarCry, which both came out in early 2004, and seeing how many MILES ahead of them Half-Life 2 was, coming out only 6 months later. It's like night and day.

My suggestion to you is to just buy UT3 by itself. MAYBE if you don't already have a disk copy of UT99, then buy the Unreal pack. But you're paying for a few games that, in my experience, you'll never really play.

Mik2121

Only if they make it play and feel like UT99.

Seriously, they kind of fucked it up with UT2k3 and 2k4, but with UT3 they just went wrong in so many ways, and the game changed so much a lot of people stopped giving a fuck about it.

Actually, scratch that. They fucked it up with UT2K3/2k4 and didn't bother going back to the UT99 feeling in UT3.

Seriously, stages like Deck16, Face_to_face, LavaGiant and other were so freaking awesome to play on ut99, but the newer versions and the newer original maps sucked donkey balls.

Top Bottom