• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing DVDs back in 1080i on Xbox?

Fusebox

Banned
Has anyone with a HD compatible TV successfully upsampled their retail DVDs to 1080i using XBMC or a similar app?

How was the resulting picture, better than letting your TV upsample it internally?

Ta.

Seth C

Fusebox said:
Has anyone with a HD compatible TV successfully upsampled their retail DVDs to 1080i using XBMC or a similar app?

How was the resulting picture, better than letting your TV upsample it internally?

Ta.

Pain in the ass. XBMC don't play DVDs. It plays mpeg files. I have to rip every DVD I want to upsample. Waste of time.

Fusebox

Banned
Nah I think you're wrong dude. Try the latest build. It plays DVDs. And upsamples them. I read that.

Edit: http://www.xboxmediacenter.de/info_project.htm

"HDTV support (multiple resolutions 480p/720p/1080i and progressive scan)

Supported file/container formats:
- Audio-CD (CDDA) playback for normal audio CD's (no CD-TEXT support)
- SVCD and VCD (Video CD) (SVCD/VCD menu's are not supported yet)
- DVD-video directly from Xbox DVD-ROM (no DVD-menu's support yet)*
- MPEG, MPG, M2V formats (inc. VCD's .dat and .bin and DVD's .vob)
- MPEG-TS (TY/TS/DV) DVB transport stream format"

So I think you dont get any menu options, it just plays the movie when you put it in, but if you have 'upsample to GUI resolution enabled' in XBMC and your GUI set to 1080i, well...

Seth C

It says it works, but I've never actually been able to get it to. If I choose the "play DVD" option the drive reads for 10-15 seconds, then the screen goes black and the Xbox locks up. If I view the files and try to play a VOB file on the disc, it plays, but only for 5-10 seconds and the video is a mess. However, if I rip the disc to the HD or use the Microsoft player or DVD-X, everything works fine.

The videos look great in 1080i, but you need at least 30 minutes or prep time before any movie.

Top Bottom