• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 2 disk read error; question/advice needed.

zarkand

I've had disk read errors before, but now it seems a few games just wont play at all anymore. I really don't want to buy any new games because I am not sure if they will work or not. I heard that Sony offers to repair it for free because they got sued or something, but are they still doing that? I would rather not call them up with my problems only to find out they are not doing that any more. I don't have the money to buy a new one, so I doubt I'll have the money to repair if its going to cost me. My playstation2 is in pretty good condition, I haven't misused it or anything. It maybe a little bit dusty but it really dosen't look like a problem.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
zarkand said:
I've had disk read errors before, but now it seems a few games just wont play at all anymore. I really don't want to buy any new games because I am not sure if they will work or not. I heard that Sony offers to repair it for free because they got sued or something, but are they still doing that? I would rather not call them up with my problems only to find out they are not doing that any more. I don't have the money to buy a new one, so I doubt I'll have the money to repair if its going to cost me. My playstation2 is in pretty good condition, I haven't misused it or anything. It maybe a little bit dusty but it really dosen't look like a problem.

gamefaqs has the hardware faq about calling them. Get it fixed.

Miburou

There's a video floating around that supposedly shows you how to calibrate the lens to fix read errors.

zarkand

How much of a hassle is it? Has anyone or has anyone heard of someone having problems getting the free repair when they should be entitled to it?

zarkand said:
How much of a hassle is it? Has anyone or has anyone heard of someone having problems getting the free repair when they should be entitled to it?

It's no hassle at all, I called, told them I was having the same problem, she asked me a few questions, said they would fix it free, gave me an address to ship it to and a service number to place on the package. I shipped it out Priority Mail Certified. Cost me $10. Got it back in about 10 days, has worked flawlessly ever since (this was over 2 years ago).

RiZ III

Yea my ps2 stopped working about a little more than a month ago so I opened it up and messed around with the lens and the thing the lens is attached to. Much to my suprise, it worked. It lasted for about 3 weeks after which it died again. I tried doing the same thing but couldnt get it to work so my brother and I threw it around the room for a bit out of frustration. I might still send it in eventually for repair cause the sony customer rep told us to send it in.

Top Bottom