• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 DVD reading woes

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, I was watching the new ANH on DVD yesterday and around chapter 25 (The Millennium Falcon) it started skipping, then it stopped reading and each time I would reboot and try to get to that scene it would skip and then stop reading and past that chapter it would not even move from the chapter menu giving me a DRE.

Do you think a lens cleaner can help me ?

My gf and I will probably split the cost of the new PlayStation 2 modle, but I need one with an HDD too and that reads PlayStation 2 DVD-ROMs at least: I only need it for PlayStation 2 Linux which uses a DVD-ROM to start the booting process.

MoxManiac

A lens cleaner might help in the short term, but I highly recommend not using the PS2 as a DVD player, as it seems to shorten the lifespan of the lens.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MoxManiac said:
A lens cleaner might help in the short term, but I highly recommend not using the PS2 as a DVD player, as it seems to shorten the lifespan of the lens.

Sigh, sob... I hope the new PlayStation 2 model will have longer DVD playing life-span.

Thsi model last about 2 years playing DVDs, that would be enough for the new model as well as PlayStation 3 would become the main movie and game player of choice thanks to backward-compatibility support.

Shompola

Banned
maybe it's just an annoying bug. My Pioneer dvd player has dropped the sound source in a couple of titles and it's supposed to be normal.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shompola said:
maybe it's just an annoying bug. My Pioneer dvd player has dropped the sound source in a couple of titles and it's supposed to be normal.

It does give DREs, not just occasional short skipping.

Mr Gump

Banned
Even though the ps2 is my primary dvd player in my room, i would recommend a stand alone unit. You can get them now for very cheap and they should stand up to the challenge.

Sony really took corners in regards to dvd playback in their system. Hopefully next gen is different because i still view the feature as important in home consoles for people in a situation like myself.

Chi-Town

If you know someone else with a DVD player, try playing the disc on their's. It could be a defective disc. When I bought the Toy Story box set, the movie started glitching at one particular scene. When I looked at the surface of the disc, there was a noticeable imperfection on it.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Am I the only one who read "woes" as "news." I was intrigued about the prospect of Sony continuing development well past the console's launch date.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well, I lookedat the disc and the surface seems fine.

I'll check it on my PC DVD player, but the issue is that it does not always stop at the same scene... this is what happened:

1st, it stopped after like 15-20 seconds into chapter 25.

2nd, it stopped after like 8-10 seconds into chapter 25.

3rd, it stopped (DRE again) trying to load chapter 26 from the chapters menu.

Top Bottom