• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Underground Online Gaming Survey

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Underground members got this today in email:

PlayStation is interested in enhancing our Online Gaming Program. Assuming your favorite online game costs around $39.99, and requires no subscription fee, please give us your feedback on the following improvements.

1) How do you feel about the idea of enhancing your favorite games by downloading additional content?
-Like very much -Like -Neutral -Dislike -Dislike very much

2) How would you feel about purchasing additional content with an online token-based currency? For example, you would purchase a pack of tokens (credits) online in fixed quantities, then use these tokens to buy additional content like new cars, weapons, characters, levels or missions.
-Like very much- Like -Neutral -Dislike -Dislike very much

3) If, for example, you were playing your favorite racing game online, what is the most you would feel is a fair price to pay for:

A) an additional character/racer?
-$1 -$3 -$7 -$10 Not Interested

B) an additional tuner/modified car part(s)?
-$1 -$3 -$7 -$10 -Not Interested

C) an additional vehicle?

D) an additional track?

E) a new color/paint job?

4) In the past, you spent time playing to progress through levels in a game. How would you feel about purchasing the right to unlock content you would normally play to obtain (stadiums, weapons and characters, etc.)?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I didn't get the email...but it sounds like Sony is trying to make an Xbox Live-like service...

And what ^^^^ said

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Answer to the first question, Like very much.
Answer to the rest, Dislike very much/Not Interested.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, watch they charge money to people if they want to see a game's ending :p

"Insert $10 to watch Final Fantasy XII ending"

----

Banned
I'm willing to pay for the extra song packs in Dance Dance Revolution, but other than that I haven't seen much I'd be willing to pay for.

Anything you pay extra for has to add considerable replay value to the game or change the game in drastic ways. The things that Sony suggested paying for here are horrible ideas.

The only way I would even possibly consider what Sony is proposing here is if they gave the initial game away for free.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I wonder if this means the additional content for Socom 2 will require a fee (if it ever releases). Tsc tsc

Gek54

I could be down for purchasing an additional track and maybe cars but fook everything else. Having to buy tokens is super lame since I am sure the thinking is that you cannot just buy one.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
number 4 is almost scary.
I don't see how is that a big deal when people already pay money for various action replays and other stuff that basically does the same thing to your game (unlocks everything and gives you immortality, and whatnot)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
already should be on the disc, you mean.

SORRY MARIO
OUR PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE
THAT YOU HAVEN'T DOWNLOADED YET

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
<EDIT> Misread the question to #4, I guess they can include the option, its not like you HAVE to pay it to see it</EDIT>

Regarding the money for addons:

D) an additional track?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is this old? New EGM says:

"At (E3) this May, Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony's U.S. videogame design, announced that his company would begin selling downloadable game items for PS2 players."...

Then goes on to mention how these downloadable content can be anything from weapons to cars. Goes on to say that content is expected to debut with Gran Turismo 4. Was this ever posted before? This is the first time I'm heaing about it

Vashu

Sony has, from the start of the PS2, made clear that they would provide a service similar to what Microsoft has now with Live. Only, you get to play online for free, yet you could pay for downloadable content (demo's, movies, music). Now, they have extended it into another region of gaming, downloadable tracks, characters etc etc.

I myself find it a good system, but, on the other hand. Prices of games should go down at least 10 dollars (or 10 euro's), preferable 20. What I am uncertain about though, is online trading. I am NOT gonna pay 3 dollars for a car a friend of mine made (in GT4 for example) when I can get it directly from him through the use of the memory card. But, we shall see how things turn out.

As long as it doesn't cost too much!

Hajaz

thank god we'll be able to ftp into our ps2 hds soon. No way am i paying for a paintjob or a modpart for gt4.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I firmly believe that any basic online play should be subscription free and that Sony, MS, et al need to find another way to make money from online gaming. So this looks like a step in the right direction for me.

1) How do you feel about the idea of enhancing your favorite games by downloading additional content?

2) How would you feel about purchasing additional content with an online token-based currency? For example, you would purchase a pack of tokens (credits) online in fixed quantities, then use these tokens to buy additional content like new cars, weapons, characters, levels or missions.
-Like very much- Like -Neutral -Dislike -Dislike very much

3) If, for example, you were playing your favorite racing game online, what is the most you would feel is a fair price to pay for:

Assuming the character is just a skin swap. I'd be willing to pay $3 for a character with new abilities

D) an additional track?

4) In the past, you spent time playing to progress through levels in a game. How would you feel about purchasing the right to unlock content you would normally play to obtain (stadiums, weapons and characters, etc.)?
As long as I can still play through the game normally, I don't care

The whole survey seems a little too focused towards one type of game - racers.

Top Bottom