• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

please help with audio output problem on Apple TI book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've been having troubles (well, my girlfriend actually) with audio output on an Apple TI Book. When using the built-in speakers everything is fine, playback is completely normal.

However, the instant I plug any kind of speakers into the audio-out jack, things fall apart. Specifically the audio either stops completely, or starts to stutter a lot (maybe half a second of normal audio for every 2 seconds of silence). This is normally accompanied by the "spinning beach ball" (the "busy" mouse cursor) and sluggishness in the system.

The problem occurs for CDs and mp3s, in iTunes and QuickTime Player.

Anyone ever had this happen before, or have any good ideas?

Prospero

I had this problem when I first got my TiBook--specifically with Harman/Kardon Soundsticks out of the USB port. It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly, turning on the alert sounds causes a conflict between iTunes and the firmware in the H/Ks. Turn those off and see what happens.

Hm, thanks for the idea, but I don't think it worked... I turned off "play user interface sound effects" under "sound" in the system prefs, but no dice. Is that what you did?

Prospero

CeruleanSilver: Yeah, that's what I did.

Maybe it's an old OS, and one of the newer versions fixes the problem. What OS are you running?

She's on an old system, Jaguar to be exact. I'm going to try upgrading her to Panther to see if it fixes it... if not, off to the Apple forums. Thanks again guys for the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom