• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
Magnus said:
It's tragically hilarious how much worse every Pokemon (english) theme song was than the amazing first season one:
I wish they would just use the Japanese themes, especially the one for Black & White.

Fucking love that song

Cranzor said:
Chargestone Cave was awful. Just about every step there is a random battle, plus it was ridiculously confusing. Thank god that's over. Does anyone think I should use Joltik in place of someone in my party? My current party is Dewott, Musharna, Victini, Leavanny, Sandile and Gurdurr. I want to get rid of Victini but I don't know if that'd be a good fit. Plus I don't really need two bug types but I'm willing to switch them out if it'd work all right since Joltik is awesome.
There is a disturbing lack of Zebstrika here. Fix it.

jman2050

Cranzor said:
Chargestone Cave was awful. Just about every step there is a random battle, plus it was ridiculously confusing. Thank god that's over. Does anyone think I should use Joltik in place of someone in my party? My current party is Dewott, Musharna, Victini, Leavanny, Sandile and Gurdurr. I want to get rid of Victini but I don't know if that'd be a good fit. Plus I don't really need two bug types but I'm willing to switch them out if it'd work all right since Joltik is awesome.

Catch a Tynamo and bring it to level 39 ASAP

Magnus

I get a boner hearing my Mewtwo burst into battle with his hilarious 4-bit gameboy-era screech.

TheOGB said:
I wish they would just use the Japanese themes, especially the one for Black & White.

Sure, except season one! Haha.

Actually, I should listen to all the Japanese themes. Only know their original one.

Cranzor said:
Maybe Musharna? I was using a Munna for a while but it was suh-hoh slow and all it could really do was use Psybeam and Yawn and die so I replaced it with another Special Attacker. Joltik doesn't really fill the Psychic hole, though.

789shadow

Banned
Gravijah said:
Make the poor children mate.

Can they? I wonder if they are considered babies like Pichu and stuff.
I dunno......probably raise them to Lucario after I beat most of the postgame stuff.
Like Cynthia, and the Champion.

Magnus

So, seriously, how are people supposed to get Pokemon by trading that only exist once per playthrough deep into the single-player, like members of the Kami trio? Why would anyone trade away their Thundurus or Tornadus?

Cranzor

matrix-cat said:
Maybe Musharna? I was using a Munna for a while but it was suh-hoh slow and all it could really do was use Psybeam and Yawn and die so I replaced it with another Special Attacker. Joltik doesn't really fill the Psychic hole, though.

Musharna might be my best bet... It doesn't do much for my team anymore anyway. I only use it against fighting types pretty much. It's still useful for catching Pokemon though because of Yawn. Hmm... someone else suggested I get a Tynamo and train it. I like Joltik's design better but that evolution of Tynamo (Elektross? Something like that) looks pretty damn good. I think I'll just go with Joltik and after I'm done with the game I'll go back and get the Elektross or whatever it's name is lol.

Gravijah said:
Can they? I wonder if they are considered babies like Pichu and stuff.
I'm pretty sure you have to evolve Riolus to get them to breed. I was trying to breed a good Lucario back in Diamond and ended up accidentally getting a shiny Riolu, and I stopped after that because I remember it being such a hassle having to evolve all my Riolus before I could cycle them back through the Daycare.

789shadow

Banned
matrix-cat said:
I'm pretty sure you have to evolve Riolus to get them to breed. I was trying to breed a good Lucario back in Diamond and ended up accidentally getting a shiny Riolu, and I stopped after that because I remember it being such a hassle having to evolve all my Riolus before I could cycle them back through the Daycare.
Well, I have both sexes of Lucario in earlier games. I just need a Ditto. :p

Achtius

Cranzor said:

Replace musharna with joltik, you need a electric type and already got Victini for psychic needs.

Edit: holy crap, forgot to refresh page before replying D:

Cranzor said:
Musharna might be my best bet... It doesn't do much for my team anymore anyway. I only use it against fighting types pretty much. It's still useful for catching Pokemon though because of Yawn. Hmm... someone else suggested I get a Tynamo and train it. I like Joltik's design better but that evolution of Tynamo (Elektross? Something like that) looks pretty damn good. I think I'll just go with Joltik and after I'm done with the game I'll go back and get the Elektross or whatever it's name is lol.
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm thinking of replacing my Zebstrika with one of them before I get to the Elite 4 because Zebstrika's main skill is almost OHKOing water types and then getting OHKO'd by their return attacks.

789shadow

Banned
matrix-cat said:
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm thinking of replacing my Zebstrika with one of them before I get to the Elite 4 because Zebstrika's main skill is almost OHKOing water types and then getting OHKO'd by their return attacks.
I didn't have much trouble, I guess my attack was better. :p

Magnus

Izayoi said:
I'd say they've made a fair amount of progress.

There's only so much you can do with sprites, especially considering there are 649 of them, now fully animated front and back.

vyB6C.png
CpBbd.png
q4dLE.png

To:

BGygx.gif
GUKxg.gif
xXVQa.gif

I mean, where else can they go?

Where they can go is finding a way to include a far greater deal of animation. I mean like, getting hit by moves, executing moves, and fainting, to name a few standard animations. The move effects themselves also look like they're stuck in the GBA gen.

789shadow

Banned
Magnus said:
Where they can go is finding a way to include a far greater deal of animation. I mean like, getting hit by moves, executing moves, and fainting, to name a few standard animations.
We can only hope, but over 649 Pokemon, that would add up big time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
RoboShmup said:
Ok so Delibird has the ability Vital Spirit, which means it can't be put to sleep. And his dream world ability is Insomnia, which means it can't be put to sleep.

Why do you do this GameFreak.

Delibird's best ability is Hustle. When combined with Choice Band, he becomes a monstrous revenge killer, OHKOing most Dragons with Ice Shard, Tyranitar with Brick Break, Breloom with Aerial Ace and Swampert with Seed Bomb. OH MY!

789shadow said:
I didn't have much trouble, I guess my attack was better. :p
I wouldn't doubt it; I try to swallow my EV training urges until I finish the game so I just catch whatever and train them against whatever. I think my Zebstrika might actually be Sassy, of all things.

udivision

789shadow said:
We can only hope, but over 649 Pokemon, that would add up big time.
Give them 13 more years, and they might do it. They have to take out all animations in the next gen of course, but they'll add Pokemon following you again. Seasons will get the boot eventually, but they'll be replaced by region-based content for a gen or so before making a come back.

789shadow

Banned
udivision said:
Give them 13 more years, and they might do it. They have to take out all animations in the next gen of course, but they'll add Pokemon following you again. Seasons will get the boot eventually, but they'll be replaced by region-based content for a gen or so before making a come back.
This more than anything is missing. I want my Pokemon to spontaneously hug me.

789shadow

Banned
A question for someone who knows. Is it possible to get both
the Celebi Zorua and the Shiny Beasts Zoroark in the same game?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I really don't get the popularity of this series! 8,000+ posts... I guess I must be missing out on something. Just never see anything in a gameplay video that makes me want to play this. I'm glad you guys enjoy it though!

Gravijah

789shadow said:

I am nearly positive that yes you can. Haven't done it, though.

Magnus

Thunderbear said:
I really don't get the popularity of this series! 8,000+ posts... I guess I must be missing out on something. Just never see anything in a gameplay video that makes me want to play this. I'm glad you guys enjoy it though!

OCDers dream. Hundreds of these little fuckers to collect, and the notion of training a team of monsters for battle has always been kind of cool.

The gameplay formula has one of those simple to work with exteriors that can get incredibly detailed for those who want it to be, at least, as far as preparation/grinding go. Battles themselves are turn-based, straightforward affairs that really need sprucing up.

Mush

"Hello and welcome to Shopping Mall Nine"

Oh thank goodness, now I can finally buy Thunder for my Galvantula.

"Welcome to the Technical Machine department! May I help you?"

Hey there, I'd like to bu...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The Lamp

Magnus said:
Where they can go is finding a way to include a far greater deal of animation. I mean like, getting hit by moves, executing moves, and fainting, to name a few standard animations. The move effects themselves also look like they're stuck in the GBA gen.
And ffs, we could always have the Pokemon ACTUALLY MOVE TOWARDS THE OPPONENT when using a move like "tackle".

We need to move to the Pokemon Stadium era, where each Pokemon has a Pokeball entrance and fainting animation, and they need animations for when they are hit, when something isn't effective, when something is super effective, when a status ailing move is used, etc., there's always room for improvement in sprite animation.

Considering how slow the progress has been, it's like sometimes we forget just how well other games have gotten sprite animation down. I mean, this is just a GBA game

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Magnus said:
OCDers dream. Hundreds of these little fuckers to collect, and the notion of training a team of monsters for battle has always been kind of cool.

The gameplay formula has one of those simple to work with exteriors that can get incredibly detailed for those who want it to be, at least, as far as preparation/grinding go. Battles themselves are turn-based, straightforward affairs that really need sprucing up.

There's the competitive aspect as well. People enjoy the numbers, and odds games of the competitive metagame. And there are numerous tournament, hosted by Nintendo, and otherwise. Building a strategy from basically limitless options is pretty addicting.

That said, I would enjoy a change in formula. Something more Pokemon Ranger-ish, but more in line with the main series.

Izayoi

Banned
789shadow said:
Also, about the
woman on Marvelous Bridge who dissapears, she's probably the ghost of someone who jumped off. :p
No, the woman right after you exit the side of the
ghost explains that there was a girl who used to play with the Pokemon on the land that got bulldozed to make way for the bridge

789shadow said:
Yes. I got both. They're two separate events.

Magnus said:
The Totodile Ike hooked me up with hatched and produced a female. That's rather rare for a starter, isn't it? Or is it just rare when starting a game, but not from an egg?
12.5% chance of hatching a female. Lucky you.

Mush said:
"Hello and welcome to Shopping Mall Nine"

Oh thank goodness, now I can finally buy Thunder for my Galvantula.

"Welcome to the Technical Machine department! May I help you?"

Hey there, I'd like to bu...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Thunder is in the Icirrus City PokeMart.

zumphry

Banned
Gravijah said:
Black Opelucid music is awesome. Especially when you sit next to the keytar guy.

I just got there and I hate that it's all "preserve the past blab blah blah" and not "FUCK IT, FUTURE TRON CITY, WE'LL DO IT LIVE!" in White. Stupid Braviary making my decision for what version to get.

EvilMario said:
RSE remakes will be amazing, especially if they're on the 3DS (which is almost assured). Kyogre / Groudon / Rayquaza still make up the most epic trio of legendaries.

Really wish they go into the markings on RSE's trio in any remakes. Still think the Unown's past needed to be fleshed out more in HG/SS. :/

I mean, look at this:

EAs7s.jpg

It makes me wanna go all Indiana Jones (but with Pokemans) and find some ancient civilization's ruins in the chambers below. Not fill out some "report" that basically is "They make up the alphabet! derp!"

:\

The Lamp

Rayquaza, Kyogre, and Groudon were indeed the best legendary trio ever made. I don't know what creative high GameFreak was on when they designed them, but I want some of it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Lamp said:
Rayquaza, Kyogre, and Groudon were indeed the best legendary trio ever made. I don't know what creative high GameFreak was on when they designed them, but I want some of it.

Coming to your 3DS, spring 2014.

rnI4R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom