• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Those rocks in Victory Road look so tempting. It makes me want to teach one of my party Strength...

I shall prevail. I shall resist!

Izayoi

Banned
Never would have thought that I'd have enough money in a Pokemon game to buy a SlowpokeTail, let alone three of them.

I love the Abyssal Ruins.

beje

Banned
Got another C-Gear tag while I was hatching eggs on my way to work (almost have an overkill Joltik). Looks like some girl was looking for rare pokémon or grinding Audinos in the Pinwheel Forest, as she was getting a lot of "XXXX has just battled a rare Pokémon" being in that area XD

OMG Aero

Regulus Tera said:
Those rocks in Victory Road look so tempting. It makes me want to teach one of my party Strength...

I shall prevail. I shall resist!
I really would advise you to overwrite a TM move in your party for strength, then as soon as you are finished delete it and relearn the TM.
The strength rocks in Victory Road are all shortcuts which can be handy later on if you forget something or take the wrong slide down the mountain and have to get back to where you were.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Sweet Jesus almighty, my Carracosta is a god damned beast. Sooo glad I chose him over Archeops.

Shell smash + Waterfall + Smack Down = Fucking your party's shit the fuck up. He also has Solid Rock ability to top it off... he's a 3'11 blue ball of pure destruction right now.

The only thing that fucks him up the ass are those damn grass assholes. Fuck grass pokemon. For real. Fuck them all.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So how does the C-Gear work? What do I need to do to get it to recognise other people's games when walking down the street? Do I just leave it on and close the DS?

Just arrived at the 5th Gym after owning Team Plasma in Cold Storage. My team as the moment stands as this -

525.png
- Level 32

518.png
- Level 29

566.png
- Level 30

552.png
- Level 30

554.png
- Level 32

496.png
- Level 32

Good team?

Wiseblade

Scythian Empire said:
Just arrived at the 5th Gym after owning Team Plasma in Cold Storage. My team as the moment stands as this -

Good team?

I not a big fan of Boldore and you're lacking a water type, but if its working for you then keep with it.

Zzoram

Magnus said:
So, seriously, how are people supposed to get Pokemon by trading that only exist once per playthrough deep into the single-player, like members of the Kami trio? Why would anyone trade away their Thundurus or Tornadus?

You're just supposed to trade back and forth for the Pokedex entry and end up keeping your Pokemon. Lots of people do that with Legendaries.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I really wish penny arcade or something would do a comic parodying the ferris wheel scene. It's so awkward.

"Let's get on the ferris wheel and see if we can spot team plasma from the top!"
"I love ferris wheels. I love the circular motion."
"BTW I'm king of Team Plasma. Sup dude?"

Wilsongt

A few nights ago, I said fuck it. I decided to level up numerous Pokemon I might be interested in using. Between Audino and the fact that wild Pokemon are now at a reasonable level when you catch them, it should be too hard.

Also... Does anyone happen to have an Archen egg? ._. Nature doesn't matter.

Balboa

Is Pokemon White that much better it will make Platinum and Silver less enjoyable? I have all 3 but I don't know where to start

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Andrefpvs said:
Okay guys, this is eating me inside like a Heatmor would do to a Durant. I swear part of the
Zekrom/Reshiram
battle theme (not really a spoiler since you pretty much already know from the beginning you're fighting them) borrows a lot from Kanto Route 3/4 etc. theme.

Please tell me it's just not me! Here's the links:

Pokémon B/W
Reshiram/Zekrom
Battle Theme
(at 0:31)

Pokémon HG/SS Route 3 Theme (at 0:22)

I couldn't be the only one who thought of this... right? :|
There's almost always little musical cues like that hidden in the various battle themes.

For instance, you might recongize some hoenn throwbacks in the Elite 4 battle theme :)

Zzoram

Balboa said:
Is Pokemon White that much better it will make Platinum and Silver less enjoyable? I have all 3 but I don't know where to start

Better than Platinum by quite a bit supposedly, but there are a few things Soul Silver supposedly does better.

Andrefpvs

GaimeGuy said:
There's almost always little musical cues like that hidden in the various battle themes.

For instance, you might recongize some hoenn throwbacks in the Elite 4 battle theme :)

Yeah, I noticed it in that particular theme as well :)

People were quick to point that out.

I wonder which other cues I might have missed in other themes along the series.

Ushojax said:
So how does the C-Gear work? What do I need to do to get it to recognise other people's games when walking down the street? Do I just leave it on and close the DS?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Chorazin

Ushojax said:

drtomoe123 said:
I'm wondering the same thing.

Yup, just leave it on and close the DS. The game will still run in the background, minus the sound and the screens (and, as a nice touch, the game timer stops as well, do you're not racking up an obscene playtime by leaving it on all the time.)

It works pretty much like the StreetPass feature of the 3DS works (except you need to have this game running to excange it's data, obviously) if you've read up about it.

Zzoram

Chorazin said:
Yup, just leave it on and close the DS. The game will still run in the background, minus the sound and the screens (and, as a nice touch, the game timer stops as well, do you're not racking up an obscene playtime by leaving it on all the time.)

It works pretty much like the StreetPass feature of the 3DS works (except you need to have this game running to excange it's data, obviously) if you've read up about it.

Actually I heard that if you're in the game and close the lid, the timer keeps going for this game, which is why some people have insane play times.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Personally, I fucking hate the C-gear. It's annoying. I hate that I have to choose whether to leave it on or off at the start up screen every time I restart the game.

I never use the damn thing and It pisses me off that it takes priority over my dowsing machine when I exit my inventory too. That shit got old fast. ugh

Zzoram said:
Actually I heard that if you're in the game and close the lid, the timer keeps going for this game, which is why some people have insane play times.

This seems to be the case. I have a game timer of 66:39 after reaching the credits once (and not venturing into much of the postgame yet). There's no way I've played it for that long, but I have carried it around campus several times during class.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The timer keeps going on when the C-Gear is on.

Zzoram said:
Better than Platinum by quite a bit supposedly, but there are a few things Soul Silver supposedly does better.

I like item management, touch screen integration, and auto-run a bit more in SoulSilver. But the menus in B/W are sufficiently polished that it's not a major deal for me.

Andrefpvs

Yeah:

Andrefpvs said:
Just beat the main story! I can't praise this game enough for breaking the tradition and actually try to have character development. I am satisfied!

Stats:

Pokédex: Seen 142, Caught 95
Time: 104:49 (??! Damn you C-Gear!)

C-Gear doubled my playtime. It definitely has an effect on the time.

Salaadin

Forceatowulf said:
Personally, I fucking hate the C-gear. It's annoying. I hate that I have to choose whether to leave it on or off at the start up screen every time I restart the game.

I never use the damn thing and It pisses me off that it takes priority over my dowsing machine when I exit my inventory too. That shit got old fast. ugh
Thats my biggest complaint too. If I had my way, the dowsing machine would be on that bottom screen all the time.

Chorazin

Roto13 said:
Why would you lie like that?

It had no effect on my time, I only have 25 hours in, and I had it on 15 hours a day at PAX East (all three days) plus my normal playtime so far.

I don't know what to say other than why the hell is mine working like you'd think it should and you guys are having weird problems?

Roto13

Chorazin said:
It had no effect on my time, I only have 25 hours in, and I had it on 15 hours a day at PAX East (all three days) plus my normal playtime so far.

I don't know what to say other than why the hell is mine working like you'd think it should and you guys are having weird problems?
It's not weird problems, it's the way it works. If your game clock says you played it for 25 hours and you had the C Gear on with your DS closed for 15 hours, then math says you played it for 10 hours.

EDIT: 15 hours a day? Your battery probably wouldn't even last that long.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is anyone playing in Winter yet? I need the Substitute TM, but I won't be able to grab it until next month.

I've heard that changing time/date on the DS takes a while to take effect in the game, and that it might even screw up Black City/White Forest for a while. Any experience with this?

Mr. Sam

EvilMario said:
Is anyone playing in Winter yet? I need the Substitute TM, but I won't be able to grab it until next month.

I've heard that changing time/date on the DS takes a while to take effect in the game, and that it might even screw up Black City/White Forest for a while. Any experience with this?

I screwed around with the internal clock within my first couple hours of playing. Hasn't had any detrimental effects as far as I can tell. And the season change took place immediately. Didn't take a while to take effect.

I thought Pupster sounded adorable for Lillipup until I learned the reason for the name. How can sweet little Lillipup ever be a gangster. Fufufufu

ROFL

Izayoi

Banned
Salaadin said:
Thats my biggest complaint too. If I had my way, the dowsing machine would be on that bottom screen all the time.
You mean it isn't already?

Assign a bag to the quick select menu and you almost never have to drop the Dowsing Machine.

Red

How do I access DS download play on Pearl? I'm at the Poketransfer center, but I can't find the option anywhere.

Achtius said:
until u want to go to a menu =(
Only the Pokemon selection screen knocks you out, everything else can be shortcutted to. Well, besides save I guess which is annoying.

FFUUUU never mind, download play is on the DS main menu, not Pearl.

Wichu

Sorry to quote a post almost a day old
:O
, but:
Andrefpvs said:
Okay guys, this is eating me inside like a Heatmor would do to a Durant. I swear part of the
Zekrom/Reshiram
battle theme (not really a spoiler since you pretty much already know from the beginning you're fighting them) borrows a lot from Kanto Route 3/4 etc. theme.

Please tell me it's just not me! Here's the links:

Pokémon B/W
Reshiram/Zekrom
Battle Theme
(at 0:31)

Pokémon HG/SS Route 3 Theme (at 0:22)

I couldn't be the only one who thought of this... right? :|
I believe you mean the Route 41/42/43/44/45 theme?

Also:

Crunched said:
How do I access DS download play on Pearl? I'm at the Poketransfer center, but I can't find the option anywhere.
Don't you do it on the DS main menu on a second DS? Or is that not what you mean?

Izayoi

Banned
Crunched said:
Only the Pokemon selection screen knocks you out, everything else can be shortcutted to. Well, besides save I guess which is annoying.
What he said.

I make a point to save after I capture a Legendary, complete a dungeon, or otherwise every hour.

Dropping the Dowsing Machine once an hour isn't all that bad, I would say. Not to mention that since it's at the top spot on my quick list it only takes about an eighth of a second to bring it back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom