• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Lamp said:
The subplot of Team Plasma is so stupid.

"POKEMON ARE OPPRESSED INSIDE THEIR POKEBALLS, I WILL NOW FIGHT YOU WITH THREE OPPRESSED PATRATS"

"WE STAND FOR THE FREEDOM OF POKEMON FROM TRAINERS, I WILL NOW KIDNAP THIS GIRL'S POKEMON"

"DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? POKEMON WERE ONCE FREE!! I'M NOW GOING TO CAPTURE THIS ONE-OF-A-KIND POKEMON AND USE IT FOR MY BIDDING."

So bad.

Have you beat the game yet?

Gravijah

The Lamp said:

"POKEMON ARE OPPRESSED INSIDE THEIR POKEBALLS, I WILL NOW FIGHT YOU WITH THREE OPPRESSED PATRATS"

"WE STAND FOR THE FREEDOM OF POKEMON FROM TRAINERS, I WILL NOW KIDNAP THIS GIRL'S POKEMON"

"DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? POKEMON WERE ONCE FREE!! I'M NOW GOING TO CAPTURE THIS ONE-OF-A-KIND POKEMON AND USE IT FOR MY BIDDING."

So bad.

It's supposed to be stupid on purpose. Little kids are supposed to be able to see through their silly motives. :p

Poyunch

The Lamp said:

So bad.
To be fair they're doing it for the "greater good". Also Reshiram/Zekrom are doing what they do out of their own free will.

And it's illogical and flawed for a reason...

The Lamp said:

So bad.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlatantLies

The Lamp

Gravijah said:
It's supposed to be stupid on purpose. Little kids are supposed to be able to see through their silly motives. :p

I mean compared to Team Aqua and Magma, and Rocket, and heck even in a lesser sense, Galactic, Plasma is pretty awful.

Rocket knew they were bad guys; their motives weren't at least hypocritical at the very foundation.

Magma and Aqua had a very specific goal for which Pokemon were to be used, as well as Galactic.

But Plasma just comes off as pants-on-head stupid white knights who don't realize they're doing what they are preaching against, and their outfits are just silly.

But no I haven't beaten the game, so we will see....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Heh, it's possible to clip through Fishermen if they're standing on a bridge and you get off from surfing in front of them.

Magnus

The Lamp said:
But no I haven't beaten the game, so we will see....

Trust me, it doesn't get any better once you do.

Unless you count androgynous animé rejects showing up with half-baked philosophical musings on freedom and truth a plot. It seriously feels like the rejected pile of plot ideas from a Final Fantasy spinoff game crash-landed into the Elite Four's crib during the end-game.

The Lamp said:

So bad.

They could easily follow a "the end justifies the means" philosophy. In which case their using Pokemon (temporarily) for the ultimate purpose of freeing all Pokemon would be justified.

Also the Animal Liberation Front/PETA also do similar things, such as killing animals (with lethal injections) that they "save." So GameFreak actually made them a believable Animal Rights Group.

Poyunch

The only thing weird is Team Plasma's name. Was there an explanation for the relationship between their motives and naming?
789shadow said:
No, Team Magma was flat out right. TOO MANY WATER ROUTES IN THAT GAME.
It's like two extremes. Team Aqua was filled with a bunch of water lovers who loved their region too much and Team Magma was just tired of dealing with so many Magikarps.

Kyzer

Banned
The Lamp said:

So bad.

Kinda like.

If the Unova Army went around. To other regions. "Freeing" them against their will, fighting violently for "peace".

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PounchEnvy said:
The only thing weird is Team Plasma's name. Was there an explanation for the relationship between their motives and naming?

Bulbapedia said:
Plasma is a state of matter in which the negative electrons and positive nuclei that usually form atoms become pulled apart and separated. This is analogous with Team Plasma's ideology, which states that people and Pokémon should be separated from one another.

Red

PounchEnvy said:
I wouldn't know since White version Unova isn't as progressive. :(
Violin beats keytar anyway, don't worry.

At least both versions get the three dudes at the Village Bridge.

Roto13

Crunched said:
Violin beats keytar anyway, don't worry.

At least both versions get the three dudes at the Village Bridge.
Village Bridge has a singing hobo so I don't know why anyone ever cares about any other town in the game, really.

Red

Roto13 said:
Village Bridge has a singing hobo so I don't know why anyone ever cares about any other town in the game, really.
And you steal his food, too. You know, the player character of B/W really is an asshole.

The Lamp

I can't remember if I mentioned this but the first time I heard the music when the Gym Leader sends out his last Pokemon...

omg....I almost lost it...It's perfect. It's the old-school Pokemon theme ;o;

Big One

Banned
Gravijah said:
So, why is the
Kanto Champion Music in the game?
Something-something tournaments if I recall correctly. Multiplayer feature, but I only remember this from when the soundtrack leaked months ago.

Edit: I found out that it's apparently used for World Championship battles.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:
Hey, you guys wanted Pokemon to be more like other JRPGs, not me...

Don't lump me together with those motherfuckers.

I have to admit the endgame is pretty epic; it's just that the underlying plot beneath it was more retarded than usual.

Poyunch

Crunched said:
And you steal his food, too. You know, the player character of B/W really is an asshole.
He/She's pretty awesome. All his/her friends try to match up to him/her and he/she doesn't even care.

It's like a toned-down, playable Gary.

The Lamp

Regulus Tera said:
Speaking of rivals, they are pretty meh. We haven't had a decent rival since, shit, Gen II?

Seriously. The Rivals have become more like kindergarten playmates instead of, you know, people you're supposed to want to rival against.

G/S/C had a bitch of a Rival. I loved him. He was a douche.

Since then they've just gotten dumb.

Big One

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
I have to admit the endgame is pretty epic; it's just that the underlying plot beneath it was more retarded than usual.
That's probably cause the localizers purposely made it retarded, that's kind of the point. I'm willing to bet that the original Japanese version was very serious in tone while all of the dialogue in this edition comes off as comical. Of course this is the case with pretty much all of the recent Pokemon games for the most part. It isn't surprising cause of the meme references (B/W even has "KAWAIII!" from what I understand) the recent games have gives the impression the localizers go to 4chan.

DMG-01

Weird, I just hatched an egg and then literally took one step forward and another hatched. I thought you had to wait 255 steps at least between each hatching?

Red

PounchEnvy said:
He/She's pretty awesome. All his/her friends try to match up to him/her and he/she doesn't even care.

It's like a toned-down, playable Gary.
There are a few scattered points in the game where you're given a text box to read even though no one is on screen except your character, and I kept wondering if that was meant to be him/her taking or thinking. If so, sounds like Other M Samus due the stupidly obvious things that get said. From the end of the game, as you're watching
the orb float in the air, absorbing energy and then releasing Zekrom/Reshiram, you are simultaneously reading: "the orb absorbs energy and releases something!"

Delio

Watching some wifi battle vids and i notice a great ammount of Tailwind users. Quite interesting as i bet that will be running around the VGC a ton.

DMG-01 said:
Weird, I just hatched an egg and then literally took one step forward and another hatched. I thought you had to wait 255 steps at least between each hatching?
In the previous games, yes. That's one of the things they changed in Black/White though, which is quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom