• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

Crunched said:
There are a few scattered points in the game where you're given a text box to read even though no one is on screen except your character, and I kept wondering if that was meant to be him/her taking or thinking. If so, sounds like Other M Samus due the stupidly obvious things that get said. From the end of the game, as you're watching
the orb float in the air, absorbing energy and then releasing Zekrom/Reshiram, you are simultaneously reading: "the orb absorbs energy and releases something!"
It's nobody in particular. Just the game telling you what's going on.

ryan-ts

Wiseblade said:
Pfft. Barry and Cheren are way better rivals than Silver.

I can't speak for Barry because I skipped Gen 4 but Cheren isn't even a real rival. Does he ever talk shit about the player? He's your friend, not a rival.

Zzoram

ryan-ts said:
I can't speak for Barry because I skipped Gen 4 but Cheren isn't even a real rival. Does he ever talk shit about the player? He's your friend, not a rival.

A friend who wants to beat you more than anything and ambush attacks you out of nowhere.

ryan-ts

Zzoram said:
A friend who wants to beat you more than anything and ambush attacks you out of nowhere.

Cheren is a punk who I whipped good despite losing half my team going through a gym. Cheren can't hold the players jock.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My only problem with Cheren is that he seemed cool but he had almost no personality. Bianca was more interesting but for most of the game she's an annoying airhead.

Cheren and Bianca were fine, i've never really cared much about the rival since they are all normally easy except for that Blue . No rival will be on his level again until they have them becoming champion or moving on to be something more than some person who I curbstomp one last time before going to the e4.

Wiseblade

ryan-ts said:
A childhood friend who thinks of nothing other than getting stronger, beating you and becoming champion. Say what you like about Cheren, but he's motivated.

Silver annoys me because it feels like GF decided that all a rival needs is douchiness to be good. I didn't play HG/SS, but when I played Gold and Crystal his whole "Pokémon are nothing but tools. I hate the world. Why did my parents name me Silver?" schtick got old really fast.

Still, even he's better than Wally.

Red

DoomXploder7 said:
Cheren and Bianca were fine, i've never really cared much about the rival since they are all normally easy except for that Blue . No rival will be on his level again until they have them becoming champion or moving on to be something more than some person who I curbstomp one last time before going to the e4.
Well, (end game)
N becomes champion here, although he's still pretty easy. Ghetsis is much more difficult.

Roto13

Apparently Tynamo appear in one cave and at a rate of 2%. I really don't want to wander around that cave for a year. Does anyone have a spare, or can someone breed me one?

Wiseblade said:
A childhood friend who thinks of nothing other than getting stronger, beating you and becoming champion. Say what you like about Cheren, but he's motivated.

Silver annoys me because it feels like GF decided that all a rival needs is douchiness to be good. I didn't play HG/SS, but when I played Gold and Crystal his whole "Pokémon are nothing but tools. I hate the world. Why did my parents name me Silver?" schtick got old really fast.

Silver gets super bonus points just for being
Giovanni's son.

Poyunch

Roto13 said:
Apparently Tynamo appear in one cave and at a rate of 2%. I really don't want to wander around that cave for a year. Does anyone have a spare, or can someone breed me one?
Bah I have a few but I don't have functional Internet at the dorms. :(

Kurtofan

ryan-ts said:
Cheren is a punk who I whipped good despite losing half my team going through a gym. Cheren can't hold the players jock.
Rivals aren't supposed to be good.Especially when there's two of them.

Ondore

Roto13 said:

You get better odds in the lowest basement of that cave (8%, I believe).

OMG Aero

After beating the Elite Four today, I really liked what they did with the end game instead of it being the same as every gen before. Here's my team:
yVS5U.png
Smoky (Lv.54)
npGso.png
Broccoli (Lv.52)
Bjtq1.png
Obsidian (Lv.52)
uvfST.png
Ramses (Lv.53)
6hLFG.png
Terrorpin (Lv.51)
Kc1Q8.png
Mango (Lv.53)

And holy shit you guys weren't kidding about the trainers suddenly jumping in level after the end of the game. A random trainer with only three Pokemon got me down to my last team member and nearly wiped me out, when nothing in the game except
Ghetsis
has brought me that close to defeat.

Magnus

You guys should really try going into the E4/bosses with just one or two Pokemon at 45+. It's so much more nail-biting and exciting. :p

Red

OMG Aero said:
After beating the Elite Four today, I really liked what they did with the end game instead of it being the same as every gen before. Here's my team:
yVS5U.png
Smoky (Lv.54)
npGso.png
Broccoli (Lv.52)
Bjtq1.png
Obsidian (Lv.52)
uvfST.png
Ramses (Lv.53)
6hLFG.png
Terrorpin (Lv.51)
Kc1Q8.png
Mango (Lv.53)

And holy shit you guys weren't kidding about the trainers suddenly jumping in level after the end of the game. A random trainer with only three Pokemon got me down to my last team member and nearly wiped me out, when nothing in the game except
Ghetsis
has brought me that close to defeat.
I had the opposite problem. I could not defeat
Ghetsis
for anything, even my highest level guys were dropping like flies. I ended up trading my brother for a level 80+ Reshiram and using him. But the endgame, despite the level difference, has been a breeze.

My team prior to adding Reshiram was Haxorus lvl 56, Krookodile lvl 52, Musharna lvl 51, Samurott lvl 53, Elektross lvl 51, and a Timburr I was raising at the time.

I went through 20+ revives and 10+ full revives in that fight twice before calling it quits and trading my brother. Wasn't worth the frustration. As soon as he pulled out
Hydreigon
, he shit all over me.

Mr. Sam

Magnus said:
You guys should really try going into the E4/bosses with just one or two Pokemon at 45+. It's so much more nail-biting and exciting. :p

Surely you'll get wrecked by the champion though?

Crunched said:
Well, (end game)
N becomes champion here, although he's still pretty easy. Ghetsis is much more difficult.

yea I beat the game, i'm conflicted on whether or not to consider N a rival though he feels more like a rival than an enemy especially with
the awkward ferris wheel ride and that random chat out side the 6th gym
Though if I consider him a rival he's definitely in second for
capturing a legendary and becoming champion

Anth0ny

Crunched said:
I had the opposite problem. I could not defeat
Ghetsis
for anything, even my highest level guys were dropping like flies. I ended up trading my brother for a level 80+ Reshiram and using him. But the endgame, despite the level difference, has been a breeze.

I was training balanced (all 6 at 50-55) and I couldn't beat the Elite 4.

So I started focusing on Haxorus. Suddenly, he's level 63 and sweeping Elite 4 members with Swords Dance + Dragon Claw.

Basically, it would have taken me forever to beat the Elite 4 with a balanced team.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
I was training balanced (all 6 at 50-55) and I couldn't beat the Elite 4.

So I started focusing on Haxorus. Suddenly, he's level 63 and sweeping Elite 4 members with Swords Dance + Dragon Claw.

Basically, it would have taken me forever to beat the Elite 4 with a balanced team.

Haxorus really is hax, I basically did the same thing you did but after the E4 (when you really need a powerhouse.) I should know by now any pseudo-legend dragon is going to dominate but I still say damn when he one-shots Pokemon over 10 levels higher after just one Dragon Dance.

Red

Andrex said:
Haxorus really is hax, I basically did the same thing you did but after the E4 (when you really need a powerhouse.) I should know by now any pseudo-legend dragon is going to dominate but I still say damn when he one-shots Pokemon over 10 levels higher after just one Dragon Dance.
Haxorus aint no psuedo legendary. Outside of attack, he's not very impressive.

I'm working on importing my old team from Pearl now to get my party beefed up. Metagross, Tyranitar, and Garchomp have been a huge help.

Andrex said:
It's his spirit.

Oak's words echoed... There is a time and a place for everything! But not now.

Haha, good stuff.

Cheren is alright, but I'm basically using a bored sounding voice when reading his dialogue because there's not a whole lot of personality going on.

Bianca is the most interesting of the two I think, but I just like how they are actively involved with the stuff going on during the game.

I'm missing some of those double battles in Diamond in Pearl though, where you would meet a random person and fight alongside them. Cheren and Bianca could have filled that void, especially for three on three battles, which I wish there were more of.....

Complaints aside, It's a fun game so far, and I love the new Pokemon designs. I just need one more badge to go.

Magnus

Mr. Sam said:
Surely you'll get wrecked by the champion though?

They certainly did come close to wrecking me, and I admit, I wiped out once against
Ghetsis
, but it was exciting. 3 Max Revives and Full Restores were essential, haha.

My Emboar at 57 was the key.

I don't know how you'd lose with a whole team at 50+. Wouldn't you just bring out the right types and annihilate them with a series of one-shots?

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Hydreigon is Unova's Psuedo-legend. Haxorus just happens to have really lopsided stats.

Wrapping my head around those RNG tutorials is a pain and it's getting on my nerves. I guess I'll just try again tomorrow so I don't end up punching a wall or something. :/

Also Octillery can't learn Ice Breath which is sad.

ryan-ts

Wiseblade said:

Cheren and Silver have the exact same motivation, to be strongest. Both fail entirely and both change by showing more love to their Pokemon. Same idea as the first generation, let's not kid ourselves.

Silver is a just a mean bastard, don't sure where you got this whole "I hate the world" idea from. Thats not his character at all. Eventually he has a change of heart. stops being a mean guy and is redeemed. Cheren doesn't go through any of that, he just happens to run into the player a few times and loses battles.

Silver hates the weak and opposes Team Rocket for being a group of weaklings that came together. Cheren...well he has glasses.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Finding out that you can buy max revives at the market blew my mind (theyre not exactly max revives.. but theyre herb max revives)

now Nothing can stop me.

Wilsongt

If you can breed Archen, does anyone have one they are willing to trade? I am only at the 5th gym, so I don't have anything to really offer.. =/

Bankoiia

Wow, the E4 and
the following battles
were intense, but I can't believe
I lost to Ghetsis
just because I missed with my final move (Dig) which would've knocked the last percentage of health from his last Pokémon, had I just landed it. Back to catching
Reshiram
again...

Roto13

Chandelure's Pokedex:

"It absorbs a spirit, which it then burns."

It burns souls. Frigging creepy Black and White Pokemon.

Red

Bankoiia said:
Wow, the E4 and
the following battles
were intense, but I can't believe
I lost to Ghetsis
just because I missed with my final move (Dig) which would've knocked the last percentage of health from his last Pokémon, had I just landed it. Back to catching
Reshiram
again...
You can just pick up where you left off.

OMG Aero

HolyCheck said:
Finding out that you can buy max revives at the market blew my mind (theyre not exactly max revives.. but theyre herb max revives)

now Nothing can stop me.
You do realise you are basically making your Pokemon eat lemons to revive them right?
They hate you.

Glix

HenryGale said:
I need help understanding how this works.

Can someone elaborate beyond. DS + WiFi router + Website.

I cant figure this out.

Also can I do this to get celebi for b&w

its really easy. As long as the computer and DS are connecting through the same router, just queue up the pokemon you want and then go to the GTS (NOT in BW, its for D/P and HG/SS) and then the pokemon will be waiting for you as soon as you enter the GTS.

ONLY ONE AT A TIME

and yes to the celebi question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom