• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zertez said:
I know it is probably a long shot, but does anyone have a female Charmander or Turtwig for trade? Level or nature doesnt matter. I have quite a few Snivy and Tepigs, 1 female of each a bunch of males, and most things from White, outside of legendaries. I would be willing to send back a female once I have breed one as well.
I have a female Charmander someone on GAF traded me earlier. You can have it. I don't need anything in return. Unless you want to give me PP Up.

FC: 0303 9099 2313

Izayoi

Banned
For DragonKnight, my favorite Black and White music, spoilers on stuff that might be considered spoilery.

Battles:

Last N Battle

Gym Leader Desperation
Elite Four Battle
Cover Legendaries
Team Plasma Grunt

Miscellaneous:

Title Screen
Credits
Dive

Emotion
BIG POSTGAME SPOILER
Cynthia's
Intro
I know it's
not new
but every time I hear it I just want to
go back and play Platinum again.

Locations:

N's Castle

N's Room

Victory Road
Pokemon League
High Link
Mistralton City
White Forest
Black City
Undella Town (Summer)
Undella Town (Spring/Autumn/Winter)

Yeah it's about half of the entire soundtrack. Wanna fight about it?

btkadams

prediction for next pkmn game based on the ending of b/w:

well, i have not yet beaten the elite four a second time, but i have found all of the sages and the looker said N was spotted in a far away region. i'm betting N is going to be in the ruby/sapphire remakes (not a central character but I bet he will make an appearance). yeah it's not that crazy of a prediction haha but i was wondering what other people thought.

Izayoi

Banned
btkadams said:
prediction for next pkmn game based on the ending of b/w:

well, i have not yet beaten the elite four a second time, but i have found all of the sages and the looker said N was spotted in a far away region. i'm betting N is going to be in the ruby/sapphire remakes (not a central character but I bet he will make an appearance). yeah it's not that crazy of a prediction haha but i was wondering what other people thought.
It's definitely a possibility.

What I'm willing to bet is that we get
N staying longer in Grey and helping you against Ghetsis by letting you merge Zekrom and Reshiram with Kyurem to form the old dragon. Or perhaps Ghetsis uses the old dragon against you and N helps you in a double battle against a single Pokemon - wouldn't that be something.

Wild speculation at this point but
a triple battle with you, Belle, and Cheren against Ghetsis, N, and maybe a new character
. I have a feeling triple battles will be a major focus in the third version, but who knows.

btkadams

Izayoi said:
It's definitely a possibility.

What I'm willing to bet is that we get
N staying longer in Grey and helping you against Ghetsis by letting you merge Zekrom and Reshiram with Kyurem to form the old dragon. Or perhaps Ghetsis uses the old dragon against you and N helps you in a double battle against a single Pokemon - wouldn't that be something.

Wild speculation at this point but
a triple battle with you, Belle, and Cheren against Ghetsis, N, and maybe a new character
. I have a feeling triple battles will be a major focus in the third version, but who knows.
why the hell didn't they do any triple battles with you/cheren/bianca? that would have been awesome!

Izayoi

Banned
btkadams said:
why the hell didn't they do any triple battles with you/cheren/bianca? that would have been awesome!
My theory is that they're saving the big guns for Grey. All of the hints that have been dropped point toward that being the case.

Several characters with no explanation and seemingly no role, lots of Legendary lore which drops BIG hints about a potential future for them, and then the stuff in the Abyssal Ruins. So many loose ends to tie up, something Gamefreak typically does not do.

Well, just look at this game as a testing ground for triple/rotation battles, just like RS were testing grounds for double battles, refined in Emerald. That is, expect more of them, refined, in Grey/New RS (as well as
THREE TRAINERS SPOTTING YOU AT ONCE
).

Izayoi said:
...by letting you merge Zekrom and Reshiram with Kyurem to form the old dragon...
Where did this
merge the three into the original dragon
idea come from? I've seen it mentioned in this thread previously. The game says
Kyurem arrived on a meteor and has terrorized the area around Lacunosa Town ever since.
I don't remember any connection between
Zekrom and Reshiram with Kyurem.
Heck, you catch
Kyurem in the meteor's crater.
The game never connects
all three
, does it?

btkadams

UltimateIke said:
Where did this
Kyurem arrived on a meteor and has terrorized the area around Lacunosa Town ever since.
Heck, you catch
The game never connects
all three
, does it?
i think it's just assumed because
of the names ending with ram/rem/rom.

edit: nvm lol

Izayoi

Banned
UltimateIke said:
Where did this
Heck, you catch
The game never connects
all three
, does it?
It does.

Iris explains that
Zekrom and Reshiram, who represent energy incarnate, were once one super-being, and when they split, one siding with each of the brothers with differing views, they left behind a corpse - Kyurem, who represents the absence of energy.

Also, Black's Pokedex entry on him is more than a little telling in regards to this story:

It generates a powerful, freezing energy inside itself, but its body became frozen when the energy leaked out.

Izayoi said:
It does.

Iris explains that
Zekrom and Reshiram, who represent energy incarnate, were once one super-being, and when they split, one siding with each of the brothers with differing views, they left behind a corpse - Kyurem, who represents the absence of energy.

Also, Black's Pokedex entry on him is more than a little telling in regards to this story:

It generates a powerful, freezing energy inside itself, but its body became frozen when the energy leaked out.
Not saying you're wrong (you may very well be correct), but I don't remember Iris ever talking about a
corpse. I even looked up a Youtube walkthrough video of them first explaining the two heroes' myth and didn't see it.
Can you point me to where/when they said anything about it?

What's the point of the
meteor story
if it is wrong?

Edit: I misspelled something (explaining), and it is killing me on the inside, little by little. :(

Well, finished this floor. Seems to be a
30 x 30 block
maze, with
4 entrances in the north, south, east, and west, probably for each dive spot
. During traversal, I found
21 different
messages scattered across the maze, with
the same message at the 4 entrances
. I guess I'll try to work on the messages: I noted 25 different symbols being used, and I have
different messages, with no spaces... Working on this... (or should I even be doing this right now, it's 2:30 in the morning here)

Izayoi

Banned
UltimateIke said:
Not saying you're wrong (you may very well be correct), but I don't remember Iris ever talking about a
corpse. I even looked up a Youtube walkthrough video of them first explaing the two heroes' myth and didn't see it.
Can you point me to where/when they said anything about it?

What's the point of the
meteor story
if it is wrong?
Damn, maybe I'm misremembering something.

Doing too much studying on myths and ancient beings as opposed to actually writing down dialogue like I should have been.

I could've sworn it was mentioned in game somewhere. I'll look for it. While I do, some additional speculation, which I think is where I got the idea planted in my head from anyway:

Kyurem represents the lack of a boundaries and order in yin and yang - hence his species being referenced as the "Boundary Pokemon". He is wuji, nothingness - the absence of yin and yang. A sort of black hole, the opposite of energy. Wuji and yin and yang go hand in hand, one can not exist without the other as yin and yang rose from wuji and will return to wuji.

In addition, Zekrom represents ideals, and Reshiram represents the hope for truth. Kyurem's species in Japanese is a double-meaning. It can be translated both as 境界 (boundary) and as 胸懐 (heart/feelings). Boundary obviously references yin and yang and wuji, while heart and feelings give birth to ideals and hopes.

I think this ongoing analogy of Kyurem giving birth to the meanings behind the energy taos is no coincidence. It all seems to fit together a little too well.

Oh, and fun fact, Kyurem's species name in Japanese has a third meaning as well, 鏡 (mirror) and 灰 (gray/grey/ash/griseous). Gamefreak definitely doesn't pull punches, it seems.

The trio also appears to draw heavily off of Norse mythology. Reshiram seems to be based off of the Wyvern, a being who, if "freed from the ice" (again with the Kyurem giving birth thing) during Ragnarök, would bathe the world in fire. Zekrom seems to be based off of the Basilisk, the king of serpents, who could kill with just a glace (much like electricity). Both dragons and serpents were commonly seen as the image used to represent Ragnarök - the end of the world and the slaying of the gods. Sound familiar to what happened in Unova thousands of years ago?

Anyway, I'll see if I can find that reference.

Teknoman

DragonKnight said:
Post your favorites in the music appreciation thread? I really wanna see what you like about BW's soundtrack

Im surprised you dont find the gym battle or wild battle catchy. Opinions and all, I know...but they're just so well done. Especially the gym battle theme. Encompasses just how important the fight is.

Zertez

UltimateIke said:
I have a female Charmander someone on GAF traded me earlier. You can have it. I don't need anything in return. Unless you want to give me PP Up.

FC: 0303 9099 2313
Sounds good, I have a PP up I can give you for it.
FC: 4813 6451 3885

Izayoi said:
Damn, maybe I'm misremembering something.

Doing too much studying on myths and ancient beings as opposed to actually writing down dialogue like I should have been.

I could've sworn it was mentioned in game somewhere. I'll look for it. While I do, some additional speculation, which I think is where I got the idea planted in my head from anyway:

Kyurem represents the lack of a boundaries and order in yin and yang - hence his species being referenced as the "Boundary Pokemon". He is wuji, nothingness - the absence of yin and yang. A sort of black hole, the opposite of energy. Wuji and yin and yang go hand in hand, one can not exist without the other as yin and yang rose from wuji and will return to wuji.

In addition, Zekrom represents ideals, and Reshiram represents the hope for truth. Kyurem's species in Japanese is a double-meaning. It can be translated both as 境界 (boundary) and as 胸懐 (heart/feelings). Boundary obviously references yin and yang and wuji, while heart and feelings give birth to ideals and hopes.

I think this ongoing analogy of Kyurem giving birth to the meanings behind the energy taos is no coincidence. It all seems to fit together a little too well.

Oh, and fun fact, Kyurem's species name in Japanese has a third meaning as well, 鏡 (mirror) and 灰 (gray/grey/ash/griseous). Gamefreak definitely doesn't pull punches, it seems.

The trio also appears to draw heavily off of Norse mythology. Reshiram seems to be based off of the Wyvern, a being who, if "freed from the ice" (again with the Kyurem giving birth thing) during Ragnarök, would bathe the world in fire. Zekrom seems to be based off of the Basilisk, the king of serpents, who could kill with just a glace (much like electricity). Both dragons and serpents were commonly seen as the image used to represent Ragnarök - the end of the world and the slaying of the gods. Sound familiar to what happened in Unova thousands of years ago?

Anyway, I'll see if I can find that reference.
I love all of the references and connections between Pokemon and real-world mythology. It makes the games seem much deeper.

Even if the game doesn't give an explicit connection, the three are definitely related. Maybe a third version will explain more, like Platinum did for Giratina.

Red

Okay, been everywhere on the map. Still need to catch Kyurem but outside of that I'm pretty much done.

Ready for the next one, get on it Game Freak.

Shiggie

I just cain bred Zen Headbutt, Amnesia, and Drain Punch on my Scraggy. It involved Spoink, Grumpig and Golduck. Took forever.

Edit: And Happy Birthday to me :( .

Izayoi

Banned
Oh, here's another fun theory on Kyurem that I found on 4chan a while ago:

Kyurem lives at the bottom of a Giant Hole and has a signature move: "Frozen World". There is a myth in the town above that it would rise from this pit and eat people and pokemon. This myth has driven those that live there to hide at night in order to keep this being of darkness from attacking them.

In the Lovecraft Mythos, the icy/dark planet Yuggoth is host to an alien colony of the Mi-go; which set up a town on the rim of a pit, in which dwells an ancient entity, feared by the Mi-go to the point of them abandoning their town when the creature rises from the depths; and implied, though never stated to be a Great Old One (like Cthulhu) or other god, such as Cxaxukluth, son of Azuthuth (an outer god) which is known to reside on the planet.

It should be noted that Cxaxukluth had two sons. One of them (Hziulquoigmnzhah) took up dwelling in a binary star. More food for thought, and another case in which Kyurem gives birth to two god beings.

Izayoi said:
Oh, here's another fun theory on Kyurem that I found on 4chan a while ago:

Kyurem lives at the bottom of a Giant Hole and has a signature move: "Frozen World". There is a myth in the town above that it would rise from this pit and eat people and pokemon. This myth has driven those that live there to hide at night in order to keep this being of darkness from attacking them.

In the Lovecraft Mythos, the icy/dark planet Yuggoth is host to an alien colony of the Mi-go; which set up a town on the rim of a pit, in which dwells an ancient entity, feared by the Mi-go to the point of them abandoning their town when the creature rises from the depths; and implied, though never stated to be a Great Old One (like Cthulhu) or other god, such as Cxaxukluth, son of Azuthuth (an outer god) which is known to reside on the planet.

It should be noted that Cxaxukluth had two sons. One of them (Hziulquoigmnzhah) took up dwelling in a binary star. More food for thought, and another case in which Kyurem gives birth to two god beings.
Another good one. But "Frozen World" confused me when I first read it; it seems the move was translated as "Glaciate" in the U.S. version.

Teknoman

Crunched said:
Okay, been everywhere on the map. Still need to catch Kyurem but outside of that I'm pretty much done.

Ready for the next one, get on it Game Freak.

Catch'em all/ beat all the different battles first.

Izayoi

Banned
Teknoman said:
Catch'em all/ beat all the different battles first.
And then buy the second version and play through that as well.

UltimateIke said:
Another good one. But "Frozen World" confused me when I first read it; it seems the move was translated as "Glaciate" in the U.S. version.
Yeah. Some of the translations make me scratch my head.

Is there anything special about Audino? I've been catching them because the music goes all funny when battling them so I thought there must be something special about them :/

Izayoi said:
And then buy the second version and play through that as well.

Yeah. Some of the translations make me scratch my head.
Probably because they saw what the attack did in the overworld, and then used the English word that apparently already exists for it:

glaciate

I was confused by Body Purge -> Autotomize as well, until I found out it was a word as well.

*goes back to sleep*

My favorite thing about playing new Pokemon games is it makes me think about all the good times I've had with the series. Like right now, I'm having a major craving to play the 3rd gen games.

beje said:
Is Archen/Archeops any worth with that stupid ability? For those not aware, it cuts its own Atk. and Sp.At. on half when it goes below 50% HP.

I would say he is worth it, he can be an amazing sweeper. Used him for Elite Four most of the time. Also he can learn a wide range of moves which is handy with his incredibly high attack, speed.

On regards on how this game adds up towards the other games, I would like to say it is a bit weak. I did enjoy Pearl/Diamond much more. What I like about this game is the improved graphics, interface and convenience with TM/HMs. It is much better than Ruby/Sapphire but worse than the other entries. The new Pokemons do have a decent design most of the time at least.

Did anyone find the Dragon Tower music similar to A Link To the Past dungeons?

I advise anyone to EV train Ferrothron, he is crazy both stat and typing wise (Bug/Steel). An insane wall, which can deal great damage too.

Busaiku

PumpkinPie said:
Is there anything special about Audino? I've been catching them because the music goes all funny when battling them so I thought there must be something special about them :/
The shaking grass just happens whenever you've walked a random amount of steps (without encountering a Pokemon/leaving the area/talking to someone).
There's nothing really special about Audino (it's only obtainable through the shaking grass), but you can also get other Pokemon from those shaking grass spots (it's harder though). Usually those Pokemon are the evolved forms of the Pokemon in that area.

Zertez

Anyone know of a decent catcher Pokemon from Generation V? Is there one that can learn some type of sleep and False Swipe? I looked, but doesnt appear to be any.

Izayoi

Banned
UltimateIke said:
Ending Theme

Probably already discussed, but does this sound like a Golden Sun song to everyone else? Especially 25 seconds in...
Definitely sounds like Golden Sun.

There are a lot of Final Fantasy and Golden Sun influences throughout both the music and the story it seems like.

Not really complaining, the game is better for it.

Wichu

PumpkinPie said:
Yes, they give you tons of Exp. for beating them (often 1000+). The alternate battle music is played during encounters in shaking grass/dirt etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom