• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gravijah said:
"Herdier may derive from herd, referencing herding dogs, and terrier."

dogs suck ne way

6Xk8m.png

DMG-01

The Lamp said:
Really? I hated Lillipup.

Maybe it's because I hate Yorkies but I just thought the idea of a Yorkie Pokemon to be stupid and a sign of creative slump.

And why's it called Herdier? Am I right in pronouncing it "Hurr-durr"?
It wasn't until I saw Lillipup animated in the show that I liked him. In-game he looks too stupid, I think.

And I believe it's pronounced like Her-D-er, if that makes sense.

Lillipup is a boss after its leveled and evolved.

Way better than the cat Purloin and its evolved form. Weak as shit. Can't believe I wasted evolving one and expecting to use it for a while.

Edit: Why hasn't there been a pokemon based on a Shiba? Would be awesome.

So I am interested in purchasing one of these games. Can anyone tell me the major differences?

I have been looking at this thread and I read the OP but I have some questions. So there is no way I can catch any pokemon other than the newest ones in either game? I know I can trade older pokemon but is there a way to important from a game save of heart gold or soul silver?

I know these are very newbish questions, but the last pokemon game I played was Soul Silver and before that was Yellow.

The Lamp

cool_dude_2049 said:
So I am interested in purchasing one of these games. Can anyone tell me the major differences?

White is superior..

Nah, White has White Forest, which I believe lets you catch different kinds of Pokemon, while Black City lets you find items and battle high-level trainers.

White lets you catch Zekrom, Black lets you catch Reshiram.

And then exclusive Pokemon are available between the two.

Gravijah

cool_dude_2049 said:

I have been looking at this thread and I read the OP but I have some questions. So there is no way I can catch any pokemon other than the newest ones in either game? I know I can trade older pokemon but is there a way to important from a game save of heart gold or soul silver?

I know these are very newbish questions, but the last pokemon game I played was Soul Silver and before that was Yellow.

You can catch a pretty good amount of old Pokemon after you beat the game.

btkadams

cool_dude_2049 said:

you can trade up from the ds games but you can't trade them back. after beating the main story of the game, more pokemon from other gens show up in the wild. online trading maeks everything easier in terms of getting version specific pokemon.

Bentendo

cool_dude_2049 said:
there is no way I can catch any pokemon other than the newest ones in either game?

You can catch a lot of Pokemon from previous generations. Some Pokemon which could only be obtained by evolving or trading in previous gens are actually in the wild in Black and White like Tyranitar and Dragonite.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cool_dude_2049 said:

All the differences are in the picture in the OP.

cool_dude_2049 said:
I have been looking at this thread and I read the OP but I have some questions. So there is no way I can catch any pokemon other than the newest ones in either game?

You can catch many of them after you beat the Elite Four for the first time. You can also catch more in White Forest, which is exclusive to Pokemon White.

cool_dude_2049 said:
I know I can trade older pokemon but is there a way to important from a game save of heart gold or soul silver?

After you beat the Elite Four, the Poke Transfer lab opens up that allows you to send over six Pokemon at a time from any fourth generation game (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver.) However you must make sure these Pokemon are not holding any items, nor can they know any HM moves (the move deleter in Blackthorn City will take care of that for you.) It requires two Nintendo DS (or DSi or 3DS) systems, and you can do it an unlimited amount of times per day (unlike the Pal Park in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.) It is a short minigame that doesn't take longer than a few minutes for all six Pokemon.

cool_dude_2049 said:

No prob.

Sweet. I really do appreciate all of your feedback.

It looks like I am going for White.

The OP said something about having less three way battles and more rotations or something like that. Any reason why there is a difference in those types on battles in each version?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
btkadams said:
you can trade up from the ds games but you can't trade them back. after beating the main story of the game, more pokemon from other gens show up in the wild. online trading maeks everything easier in terms of getting version specific pokemon.

Let it be known however that there are many, many 4th (and 3rd even) generation only moves that you can't obtain in these new games. For instance, Houndoom can only receive Dark Pulse from a TM in the 4th Generation and loses one of his most important STAB moves if you only breed him in Black/White.

I'm sure the third version will correct many of these horrible mistakes, but for now.. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cool_dude_2049 said:
Sweet. I really do appreciate all of your feedback.

It looks like I am going for White.

The OP said something about having less three way battles and more rotations or something like that. Any reason why there is a difference in those types on battles in each version?

Not really, from what I can tell you get 3 of one type and 1 of the other. Two of the battles occur in Black City/White Forest so for the main game you have one of each. Also, for every one of those battles, you're not "forced" into it - you actually have to go up and talk to the NPC to initiate the battle.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
Let it be known however that there are many, many 4th (and 3rd even) generation only moves that you can't obtain in these new games. For instance, Houndoom can only receive Dark Pulse from a TM in the 4th Generation and loses one of his most important STAB moves if you only breed him in Black/White.

I'm sure the third version will correct many of these horrible mistakes, but for now.. :/

That's not so bad. I still have boatloads of cash, items, and TMs in my SoulSilver and using the Poke Transfer is actually kind of fun. The only trouble is when guides don't tell you you NEED to do it in a gen 4 game, that messes me up...

Andrex said:
Not really, from what I can tell you get 3 of one type and 1 of the other. Two of the battles occur in Black City/White Forest so for the main game you have one of each. Also, for every one of those battles, you're not "forced" into it - you actually have to go up and talk to the NPC to initiate the battle.

Hmmm the commercials made it seem like this was something that happened very frequently.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Andrex said:
That's not so bad. I still have boatloads of cash, items, and TMs in my SoulSilver and using the Poke Transfer is actually kind of fun. The only trouble is when guides don't tell you you NEED to do it in a gen 4 game, that messes me up...

Serebii, on their 5th Generation Pokedex, list the moves that can only be obtained in the 4th generation. I believe Bulbapedia and Veekun list moves that can only be learned in 3rd/4th generations too.

I cherish my Pokemon from XD, because almost no one has them. Heal Bell Dragonite, hurray.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cool_dude_2049 said:
Hmmm the commercials made it seem like this was something that happened very frequently.

If only. :(

EvilMario said:
Serebii, on their 5th Generation Pokedex, list the moves that can only be obtained in the 4th generation. I believe Bulbapedia and Veekun list moves that can only be learned in 3rd/4th generations too.

I cherish my Pokemon from XD, because almost no one has them. Heal Bell Dragonite, hurray.

Ah that's good then.

Kintaco

Should I keep buying Poke Balls, or just use Great Balls and > at around 35-40 range Pokemons? Or does it matter? I ran into a Cryogonal last night and I couldn't catch him, so I tried weakening one a bit and I ended up making it faint. :(

Andrex said:
WTF? That's way too few =/ I was actually looking forward to more triple battles =(

The Lamp

EvilMario said:

So they intentionally remove features to add them back again later to make it look like they're progressing the series. Gotcha. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
dragonlife29 said:
WTF? That's way too few =/ I was actually looking forward to more triple battles =(

There's quite a few (missed) opportunities for them too, like whenever you, Cheren, and Bianca are all together, or the dancers in Castelia Park...

There'll probably be a lot more in the third version.

Andrex said:
There's quite a few (missed) opportunities for them too, like whenever you, Cheren, and Bianca are all together, or the dancers in Castelia Park...

There'll probably be a lot more in the third version.

So Pokemon Grey or something?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Raxus said:
There is Battle Subway as well.

*rants about how he cant take his DS online so the battle subway is useless :(*

:(

also is there a list of good places to train? I know theres the rich people house where I can keep going back daily, are there other places?

Bentendo

I think one of the greatest additions to Generation 5 is unlimited use of Technical Machines. I just used Scald on my Emboar which is something I wouldn't have done in previous games.

EDIT: I guess I couldn't have done it because Scald is new to Generation 5, but I think you get the point.

HolyCheck

Bentendo said:
I think one of the greatest additions to Generation 5 is unlimited use of Technical Machines. I just used Scald on my Emboar which is something I wouldn't have done in previous games.

EDIT: I guess I couldn't have done it because Scald is new to Generation 5, but I think you get the point.

Scald is an excellent move, I used like 3 of those increast the pp of a move things on it :D

Bentendo

Kintaco said:
Should I keep buying Poke Balls, or just use Great Balls and > at around 35-40 range Pokemons? Or does it matter? I ran into a Cryogonal last night and I couldn't catch him, so I tried weakening one a bit and I ended up making it faint. :(

Find an Axew and use False Swipe. This is the first gen that I've actually used that move and it works wonders.

Also, it's always handy to keep a nice amount of Ultra Balls in your pockets too just in case. I like to always have 10 Ultra Balls and 10 Great Balls, and stock up whenever I can. When I'm ready to take on a Legendary I go kind of crazy and get about 50 Ultra Balls and a sizable amount of Dusk Balls and a few Quick Balls.

Remember: False Swipe and maybe a Pokemon that knows a sleep-inducing move will always help. Right now I'm leveling up my Munna for the sole purpose of putting Pokemon to sleep.

DMG-01

I just did a breeding/hatching run of 21 Larvesta (Fire/Bug dude). I'm trying to get a Timid male with 31 Spa and 31 Spe, this way I can use it to breed for a Joltik. One of the parents I'm using has 31 Def too, so if that passes, I'd be extra happy.

Out of the 13 Timid Larvesta I hatched, 8 were male and had either 31 Spe or 31 Spe and 31 Def. The only male with 31 Spa and 31 Spe was Modest, which isn't bad, but it's not what I'm looking for. To make it worse, one of the female Timids has 31 in Spe, Def, and Spa. I guess she'll be the new mother at least.

All in all, BW breeding seems a lot less painful than what I'm used to and I'm really not hating it so far. Also, Power items seem to have a 100% IV pass down rate, rather than the 50% I thought they had in HGSS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HolyCheck said:
*rants about how he cant take his DS online so the battle subway is useless :(*

Isn't the Battle Subway just like the Battle Tower? Meaning it's mostly offline, there should be only one its modes that's online.

Roto13

Kintaco said:
There's not really any reason to use weaker Pokeballs if you can buy stronger ones. Once you can buy Ultra Balls, Great and regular Pokeballs become obsolete, unless you just use them because you like the way they look or something.

At night or in caves, Dusk Ball > Everything.

HolyCheck

Andrex said:
Isn't the Battle Subway just like the Battle Tower? Meaning it's mostly offline, there should be only one its modes that's online.

I tried to go into it and it asked me to connect to the nintendo WFC, I said yes and cancelled because I couldnt and it kicked me out.. i went back tried again and this time when it asked me to connect i said no and it kicked me out too :(

Achtius

HolyCheck said:
I tried to go into it and it asked me to connect to the nintendo WFC, I said yes and cancelled because I couldnt and it kicked me out.. i went back tried again and this time when it asked me to connect i said no and it kicked me out too :(

Try another subway line?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HolyCheck said:

Pretty sure the Battle Subway is offline... Try riding on a different subway route. From what I remember the yellow one is the online one, the blue one should be the singles one.

_woLf

The 7th gym (ice) was possibly the easiest gym in any Pokemon game, ever.

My Victini one-shotted all 3 of that guys pokemon. Flame Charge + Charcoal = win.

HolyCheck

Andrex said:
Pretty sure the Battle Subway is offline... Try riding on a different subway route. From what I remember the yellow one is the online one, the blue one should be the singles one.

Oh wow, maybe that's what I Was doing, ty i'll have a look later!

_woLf said:
The 7th gym (ice) was possibly the easiest gym in any Pokemon game, ever.

My Victini one-shotted all 3 of that guys pokemon. Flame Charge + Charcoal = win.

Victini is amazing. Taught mine a thunder move to take out any water pokemon.. now I laugh all the way to the bank

DMG-01

Andrex said:
Actually, dark green in singles and light green is super singles. Yellow is super multi and light blue is Wi-Fi. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ice is such a horrible type (it should resist Bug, and Dragon.. oh well), and has the most pathetic weather to go along with it. It is amusing that they keep coming up with bulky and defensive Ice Pokemon for the most part, but it's exactly what the type shouldn't be.

Gravijah

EvilMario said:
Ice is such a horrible type (it should resist Bug, and Dragon.. oh well), and has the most pathetic weather to go along with it. It is amusing that they keep coming up with bulky and defensive Ice Pokemon for the most part, but it's exactly what the type shouldn't be.

If types aren't overhauled for Gen VI, I am going to... complain on message boards and buy all 3 versions anyway. :( Maybe they could come up with something like, I dunno... types effectiveness being different in different ecosystems. Or changing over time. Or hell, maybe add in a few new types, which change the dynamics of nature.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:

I dunno man, 645 did some amazing things with an all-ice team... Then again I was using all flying types. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom