• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentendo

Gravijah said:
If types aren't overhauled for Gen VI, I am going to... complain on message boards and buy all 3 versions anyway. :( Maybe they could come up with something like, I dunno... types effectiveness being different in different ecosystems. Or changing over time. Or hell, maybe add in a few new types, which change the dynamics of nature.

Have they ever updated types before?

Seda

Bentendo said:
Have they ever updated types before?

Steel and Dark were added in Gen 2.

Also the physical/special adjustment in...Gen 3 I think. Used to be all electric were special, all fighting was physical..etc

Do you need real friends to use the C-Gear? I don't really understand what it's for, mine just keeps coming up "server undergoing maintenance".

Roto13

PumpkinPie said:
Do you need real friends to use the C-Gear? I don't really understand what it's for, mine just keeps coming up "server undergoing maintenance".
There's some stuff you'll be able to do with it on the 30th, but for now it's mostly just for collecting survey data from people on the street. Not really any reason to have it turned on while playing at home.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seda said:
Steel and Dark were added in Gen 2.

Also the physical/special adjustment in...Gen 3 I think. Used to be all electric were special, all fighting was physical..etc

That was Gen 4.

Shahadan

I'm rather bored with the games after the elite 4 every gen. And everytime I wish there was some sort of reset the story button, where you keep your pokemon and can restart with pretty much what you like.
I was thinking of breeding a team of lvl 1 pokemons and start back at route 1, but trainers would still be beaten...
Back in the old days I could buy the other version and transfer mons with another console, but I don't know anyone with a DS here, much less with pokemon :eek:

I don't see the point in trying to complete the pokedex as it is rather impossible anyway, with the shitload of unobtainable legendaries every gen and the shitty GTS. AND you usually get nothing for completing it. I want another Red battle.

I like to train my poke, watch them grow, and get a feeling of progression. So I have the same problem every gen (even if for once I somewhat appreciate the after-game). Are there people here with the same feeling?

I think I'll just play White version anyway. With a different team.

Gravijah

Shahadan said:
I'm rather bored with the games after the elite 4 every gen. And everytime I wish there was some sort of reset the story button, where you keep your pokemon and can restart with pretty much what you like.
I was thinking of breeding a team of lvl 1 pokemons and start back at route 1, but trainers would still be beaten...
Back in the old days I could buy the other version and transfer mons with another console, but I don't know anyone with a DS here, much less with pokemon :eek:

I don't see the point in trying to complete the pokedex as it is rather impossible anyway, with the shitload of unobtainable legendaries every gen and the shitty GTS. AND you usually get nothing for completing it. I want another Red battle.

I like to train my poke, watch them grow, and get a feeling of progression. So I have the same problem every gen (even if for once I somewhat appreciate the after-game). Are there people here with the same feeling?

Cynthia
>Red

Where is
Cynthia
in the black version? Do you have to beat the game to do that battle?

Try not to spoil too much in answering if possible though I don't see what's to spoil.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
In Ruby and Sapphire you could be paralyzed by using Fire Punch on a Pokemon with the static ability, could you not?

That's not what he was talking about, but I could be wrong. I was talking about this:

Bulbapedia said:
Moves are now designated physical or special based on the move itself, rather than its type.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Where is
Cynthia

Try not to spoil too much in answering if possible though I don't see what's to spoil.
You'll encounter
her
as you progress through the towns post-game.

Gravijah

-Pyromaniac- said:
Where is
Cynthia

Yes you have to beat the game.
She's in the resort place... ugh I suck with names. The eastern most town!

btkadams

-Pyromaniac- said:
Where is
Cynthia

That person is accessible in a building in a town on the rightside of the map as soon as you complete the main story. The pokemon levels are pretty high though so I'd do other stuff first.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Speaking of progressing through the towns, am I doing it wrong? I'm going up counter-clockwise starting with Nimbasa City; am I supposed to start at Opelucid City and work my way down instead?

Gravijah

Andrex said:
Speaking of progressing through the towns, am I doing it wrong? I'm going up counter-clockwise; am I supposed to start at Opelucid Town and work my way down instead?

I dunno, I started at the bottom. I don't think there is a "right" way to do it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Undella town is the name of place :)

bitch of a battle too, I've gone in there 3 times by mistake ;_; then just quit and remembered not to

D-Pad said:
In Ruby and Sapphire you could be paralyzed by using Fire Punch on a Pokemon with the static ability, could you not?

Smogon and Bulbapedia both say Gen IV. That is when they did the physical/special split.

They might have introduced contact/noncontact moves not based on type in Gen III, which is what you seem to be thinking of.

DMG-01

Gravijah said:
I dunno, I started at the bottom. I don't think there is a "right" way to do it.
Well there's certainly no left way to do it seeing as how how the new areas are exclusively to the right.

D-Pad

Andrex said:
That's not what he was talking about, but I could be wrong. I was talking about this:
Is that not the same thing? Becoming paralyzed upon landing a Fire Punch means that the move had to have some sort of physical attribute, right? I also remember such moves powering up by using howl, or tail whipping the opponent...

Edit -
Obsessed said:
Smogon and Bulbapedia both say Gen IV. That is when they did the physical/special split.

They might have introduced contact/noncontact moves not based on type in Gen III, which is what you seem to be thinking of.
Oh, I didn't know there was a difference... Going into Gen 4 I didn't even notice the change.

Andrefpvs

Shahadan said:

I know the feeling. This Gen though you get a considerable amount of post-game stuff to do, and you get to see a bit more of the story. But yeah, I wouldn't mind a restart button, where you get to begin a new adventure and your old Pokémon are returned to you when you finish.

Also, I always thought a diploma was a pretty lame gift for completing the Pokédex. A new Master's area should unlock, or some other cool shit like that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D-Pad said:
Is that not the same thing? Becoming paralyzed upon landing a Fire Punch means that the move had to have some sort of physical attribute, right? I also remember such moves powering up by using howl, or tail whipping the opponent...

Obsessed is right, you're talking about contact/non-contact moves.

The physical/special split meant that Special Attack moves do damage based on the target's Special Defense, same for Attack and Defense. Before Gen 4 there was no Special Defense so it all relied on the Defense stat, and whole types were special/non-special instead of individual moves.

D-Pad

Andrex said:

The physical/special split meant that Special Attack moves do damage based on the target's Special Defense, same for Attack and Defense. Before Gen 4 there was no Special Defense so it all relied on the Defense stat, and whole types were special/non-special instead of individual moves.

The Special Defense and Special Attack split was made in Gen 2 though...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DMG-01 said:
Well there's certainly no left way to do it seeing as how how the new areas are exclusively to the right.

Hah, good one.

D-Pad said:

Pretty sure it wasn't...

Gravijah

D-Pad said:

Oh, that's a different split. When people talk about physical/special split they're talking about moves requiring either sp atk or atk.

Andrex said:

Err... you are also wrong. Special Defense and Defense were introduced in Gen II. The only time there was never a Special Defense stat was Gen I, when Special Attack/Defense were determined by a single stat called Special.

Before Gen IV the elemental punches may have been contact moves, but they used your Special Attack since they were considered special moves. Now they are Physical moves and use your Attack stat.

Andrefpvs said:
I know the feeling. This Gen though you get a considerable amount of post-game stuff to do, and you get to see a bit more of the story. But yeah, I wouldn't mind a restart button, where you get to begin a new adventure and your old Pokémon are returned to you when you finish.

Also, I always thought a diploma was a pretty lame gift for completing the Pokédex. A new Master's area should unlock, or some other cool shit like that.
Well, tbh, there would not be much of a use for a Master's Area, that would only be unlocked after getting all 649 Pokémon. Maybe for completing the regional Pokédex, but not the national. Practically no one would be able to see it if it was for national :D

Although, GF has been getting better at hosting more events for event Pokémon. Maybe the whole Dream World area could be expanded upon next gen, so that all Pokémon could be gotten, eventually, through the service.

Roto13

Obsessed said:
Err... you are also wrong. Special Defense and Defense were introduced in Gen II. The only time there was never a Special Defense stat was Gen I, when Special Attack/Defense were determined by a single stat called Special.

Before Gen IV the elemental punches may have been contact moves, but they used your Special Attack since they were considered special moves. Now they are Physical moves and use your Attack stat.
Gen II split special into two different stats, but all electric moves were special attacks, and all fighting moves were physical attacks, etc. Now there are electric attacks that are physical and electric attacks that are special, which was introduced in Gen IV.

Andrefpvs

ColtraineGF said:
Well, tbh, there would not be much of a use for a Master's Area, that would only be unlocked after getting all 649 Pokémon. Maybe for completing the regional Pokédex, but not the national. Practically no one would be able to see it if it was for national :D

Concept for Master's Area: When you complete the Pokédex, you get to upload your awesomest team to Nintendo's servers. When you get to that area yourself, it would download a bunch of other Trainers and their teams and you could fight them. For experience and massive money! Trainers would change daily. And rare items could also be found there!

I'm a genius! Someone give me a job!

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
It was! Special Defense and Special Attack were just Special in Gen 1.
Gravijah is correct here.

Special

The Special stat determines how much damage a Pokémon both receives and deals in regards to special moves. The Special stat was divided into Special Attack and Special Defense in terms of base stats in Generation II, and further divided in terms of IVs and EVs in Generation III. Mewtwo had the highest Special stat among all the Pokémon in the generation in which the stat existed.

I think the Physical/Special distinction for attacks is one of the better changes they made. As for type overhauls, I don't really see how they can do that. Maybe add new types, but thats all I can see happening.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It seems strange to me
Cynthia
would not recognize that
she's
met three different trainers named "Andrex..."

Obsessed said:

My bad then.

Roto13 said:
Gen II split special into two different stats, but all electric moves were special attacks, and all fighting moves were physical attacks, etc. Now there are electric attacks that are physical and electric attacks that are special, which was introduced in Gen IV.

That is what I was trying to say.

Izayoi

Banned
Android18a said:
I think the Physical/Special distinction for attacks is one of the better changes they made. As for type overhauls, I don't really see how they can do that. Maybe add new types, but thats all I can see happening.
Light type to rebalance Dragon.

That or Ice needs a complete overhaul, because right now it's trash.

JVIDICAN

It would've been awesome if they'd made Serperior a Grass/Dragon type. Along with making Serperior even more awesome than it already is, it would of filled one of the few remaining non-existent type combinations. =/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, so before the physical/special move type split in IV, did Atk and Sp. Atk just depend on the move element? Fighting and Normal and such moves all Atk based, Psychic and Water and such all Sp Atk based?

About this attack stuff:

Gen 1: Types are classified as physical/special. Attacks are physical/special based on their type.
Attacking:
Physical: Attack
Special: Special

Defending:
Physical: Defense
Special: Special

Physical types:
Normal
Fighting
Flying
Poison
Ground
Rock
Bug
Ghost

Special types:
Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Psychic
Ice
Dragon

Gen 2: Special is split into Special Attack and Special Defense, to mirror Attack and Defense. Also for balance purposes :p Two other types were added: Dark (Special) and Steel (Physical).

Gen 3: Certain modifiers are added to attacks (like a contact modifier). However, attacks are still physical/special depending on type. This change was probably partly for abilities, partly for future changes.
Example: Sharpedo's Rough Skin damages opponents if they physically touch it. Therefore, Fire Punch would activate it, even though it's a special move.

Gen 4: All attacks are reclassified into 3 categories: Physical, Special, and Status. That is, type doesn't determine physical-ness/special-ness of attacks.

I just did the Pokemon Musical......what the fuck what that? At least contests in previous games had some sort of goal and prize at the end. The musical is just stupid. Am I missing something?

Raxus

Izayoi said:
Light type to rebalance Dragon.

That or Ice needs a complete overhaul, because right now it's trash.
Thank goodness ice can go on so many pokemon. Fire/dragon could use some retooling. I like what they have done with poison and bug.

Side note on endgame:
I defeated all the riches (I think) can I still fight them daily?

Izayoi

Banned
JVIDICAN said:
It would've been awesome if they'd made Serperior a Grass/Dragon type. Along with making Serperior even more awesome than it already is, it would of filled one of the few remaining non-existent type combinations. =/
And it would break him against the other starters. Dragon resists all of the basic types (Grass, Water, Fire, Electric) and thus will NEVER show up on a start unless all of the starters are part Dragon, which is extremely unlikely.

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, so before the physical/special move type split in IV, did Atk and Sp. Atk just depend on the move element? Fighting and Normal and such moves all Atk based, Psychic and Water and such all Sp Atk based?
Yes.

JVIDICAN

Raxus said:
Thank goodness ice can go on so many pokemon. Fire/dragon could use some retooling. I like what they have done with poison and bug.

Side note on endgame:
I defeated all the riches (I think) can I still fight them daily?

No, once you defeated them all they can't be re-challenged. The Gamefreak veteran in Castelia can be challenged daily though.

Bentendo

I'm sure this has been asked a bazillion times already but I need to know which is better: Tirtouga or Archen? A little background info first:

*I have no permanent water type Pokémon.
*I have the final evolved form of the bird Pokémon you get early on but it kind of sucks.
*I have no rock Pokémon yet.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bentendo said:
I'm sure this has been asked a bazillion times already but I need to know which is better: Tirtouga or Archen? A little background info first:

*I have no permanent water type Pokémon.
*I have the final evolved form of the bird Pokémon you get early on but it kind of sucks.
*I have no rock Pokémon yet.

Archen is far and away better in game. He can basically OHKO everything with Aerobatics (which he even learns naturally), and has a great move pool. His ability doesn't even come into play very often, because he almost always moves first for the KO, and even then you can just heal with items.

Tirtouga is not what I look for in-game. He's powerful, but slow and has common weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom