• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVIDICAN

Izayoi said:
And it would break him against the other starters. Dragon resists all of the basic types (Grass, Water, Fire, Electric) and thus will NEVER show up on a start unless all of the starters are part Dragon, which is extremely unlikely.
Bleh, screw the other starters. >:p
lol. It'd be nice if it at least had a type combination. :(

Izayoi

Banned
Bentendo said:
I'm sure this has been asked a bazillion times already but I need to know which is better: Tirtouga or Archen? A little background info first:

*I have no permanent water type Pokémon.
*I have the final evolved form of the bird Pokémon you get early on but it kind of sucks.
*I have no rock Pokémon yet.
Archen because good non-Legendary Flying types are few and far between in Unova.

Plus he's straight-up one of the best non-Legendary Pokemon ever.

JVIDICAN said:
Bleh, screw the other starters. >:p
lol. It'd be nice if it at least had a type combination. :(
Yeah, one of my few complaints about Gen V. Hopefully VI goes back to the way IV handled it.

Gravijah

EvilMario said:
Archen is far and away better in game. He can basically OHKO everything with Aerobatics (which he even learns naturally), and has a great move pool. His ability doesn't even come into play very often, because he almost always moves first for the KO, and even then you can just heal with items.

Tirtouga is not what I look for in-game. He's powerful, but slow and has common weaknesses.

Too bad mine has Fly instead of Acrobatics. Siiiiiigh.

Bentendo

EvilMario said:
Archen is far and away better in game. He can basically OHKO everything with Aerobatics (which he even learns naturally), and has a great move pool. His ability doesn't even come into play very often, because he almost always moves first for the KO, and even then you can just heal with items.

Tirtouga is not what I look for in-game. He's powerful, but slow and has common weaknesses.

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. I'm somewhat pissed off for leveling up Unfezant to about level 40 but I'll get over it. I'm happy to get rid of it because, like I said, it's been a real disappointment.

Now, do I really even need a water-type Pokémon? In previous gens I always try and get a fire, water, and grass in my roster but this time around I've only got a fire and I'm pretty satisfied. HMs are hardly ever used so it's not like I'll be surfing very much.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
I had to do it. I'm sorry.

:(

Bentendo said:
Now, do I really even need a water-type Pokémon? In previous gens I always try and get a fire, water, and grass in my roster but this time around I've only got a fire and I'm pretty satisfied. HMs are hardly ever used so it's not like I'll be surfing very much.
Not really. I find Samurott to be more of a liability than anything. He's cool but he's useless. I mean, he was useful for one gym I guess, but that's it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy FRACK Dive is awesome. I wish I had gotten around to it in Gen 3, it's such an amazing concept, I wish it was more core to the main story... even still I am impressed. About the underwater ruins, it's basically like the old Safari Zones, except with items instead of Pokemon?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Andrex said:
Holy FRACK Dive is awesome. I wish I had gotten around to it in Gen 3, it's such an amazing concept, I wish it was more core to the main story... even still I am impressed. About the underwater ruins, it's basically like the old Safari Zones, except with items instead of Pokemon?

:D Items you can sell for soooo much money

just a Q to those in the know, if i have a fire tile from the ruins does that improve my fire attacks more than charcoal? or is it the other way around

Gravijah

HolyCheck said:

just a Q to those in the know, if i have a fire tile from the ruins does that improve my fire attacks more than charcoal? or is it the other way around

I think they are the same.

Izayoi

Banned
Roto13 said:
The only Unova Pokemon I have left to catch is Landorus. Any reason I shouldn't use my Master Ball on him?
Yes, because you're saving that Master Ball for a shiny.

HolyCheck said:

No, they both give a 20% boost to power.

Roto13

Izayoi said:
Yes, because you're saving that Master Ball for a shiny.
I have never in my entire life seen a shiny in the wild. :p For all I know, you people are lying to me about their existence. (Except someone gave me a Shiny Graveller once.)

OMG Aero

I'd like to make the case for Tirtouga. First off, it offers the water type that you should have on your team, you can get through the whole game without a flying type but you really should have a water type on your team. Second, it is a tank, it has really has really high defences and instead of having a negative ability it has two good ones: Solid Rock (Which means that it can even tank its weaknesses) or Sturdy (Which means it will always get at least one attack, but hardly anything will one hit KO it anyway).

And I saw someone above mention that Tirtouga's line is slow, well Tirtouga learns a move called Shell Smash. Shell Smash lowers Tirtouga's defence and special defence by one level (And they are already high enough that this isn't a big deal) in exchange for increasing its attack, special attack and speed by two levels. At this point Tirtouga's speed is no longer an issue and it's already high attack stat is even higher.

Basically it comes down to this, do you want a feathery version of Aerodactyl that turns into a wimp when it gets to half health, or do you want a turtle tank that is willing to break its own shell to become faster and more powerful to take down your enemies?

Izayoi

Banned
OMG Aero said:
I'd like to make the case for Tirtouga. First off, it offers the water type that you should have on your team, you can get through the whole game without a flying type but you really should have a water type on your team. Second, it is a tank, it has really has really high defences and instead of having a negative ability it has two good ones: Solid Rock (Which means that it can even tank its weaknesses) or Sturdy (Which means it will always get at least one attack, but hardly anything will one hit KO it anyway).

And I saw someone above mention that Tirtouga's line is slow, well Tirtouga learns a move called Shell Smash. Shell Smash lowers Tirtouga's defence and special defence by one level (And they are already high enough that this isn't a big deal) in exchange for increasing its attack, special attack and speed by two levels. At this point Tirtouga's speed is no longer an issue and it's already high attack stat is even higher.

Basically it comes down to this, do you want a feathery version of Aerodactyl that turns into a wimp when it gets to half health, or do you want a turtle tank that is willing to break its own shell to become faster and more powerful to take down your enemies?
Or you could go with Seismitoad for your water and be far better off.

JVIDICAN

OMG Aero said:

Reminds me of this. :p
[NSFW-ish?]
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/adoptneo200/4b49a8bb_6eb4_36f6.jpg?t=1300396477

Quick noob question: if you use a stat-increasing move like Dragon Dance and then switch out, will the Pokemon that used DD still have the stat increase when you switch it back in?

btkadams

Roto13 said:
The only Unova Pokemon I have left to catch is Landorus. Any reason I shouldn't use my Master Ball on him?
save it for a shiny or a last resort (ie: forgot to save before fighting the legendary and ran out of balls to throw).

Bentendo

OMG Aero said:

Damn you! I just chose Archen.

I'm going to try and not think too much about... this is coming from someone who restarted Contact ten times because I wasn't satisfied by the way I answered the questions at the beginning... even though I knew they had no effect on the game.
It took me about 2 hours before I realized that I needed to stop... I'm not kidding :(

Izayoi

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
What does raising or lowering stats by "one level" or "two levels" translate to numerically?
Increased stages:

One: x1.5
Two: x2.0
Three: x2.5
Four: x3.0
Five: x3.5
Six: x4.0

Decreased stages:

One: 2/3
Two: 1/2
Three: 2/5
Four: 1/3
Five: 2/7
Six: 1/4

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gravijah said:
I had to do it. I'm sorry.

I believe my movepool when I finished the game was Acrobatics / Fly / Rock Slide / Crunch. Having two Flying moves was no issue, because you're only using Rock Slide / Crunch in very few instances where something resist Acrobatics.

He learns it through TM as well, so you can teach it back to him easily.

Bentendo said:
Damn you! I just chose Archen.

I'm going to try and not think too much about... this is coming from someone who restarted Contact ten times because I wasn't satisfied by the way I answered the questions at the beginning... even though I knew they had no effect on the game.
It took me about 2 hours before I realized that I needed to stop... I'm not kidding :(

I can pass out some turtle eggs later if you want one. I'm sure plenty of people already have bred them as well. A billion things learn Surf anyways (Buffaroon, Dragons, weird things) unlike Fly, so having a Water type is not always mandatory.

Gravijah

EvilMario said:
I believe my movepool when I finished the game was Acrobatics / Fly / Rock Slide / Crunch. Having two Flying moves was no issue, because you're only using Rock Slide / Crunch in very few instances where something resist Acrobatics.

He learns it through TM as well, so you can teach it back to him easily.

Right now I have EQ/Rock Slide/Dragon Claw/Fly. No point in changing it up now though since I've basically done everything in game.

Just looking for some advice here. I'm planning on getting a Pokemon game when the 3DS launches. Should I opt for HeartGold and get a classic experience or immediately opt for a newer experience in either Black or White?

Obviously this is a B/W thread, but I assume nearly everyone here has had experience with both. I do want to get both in the end, but I'm curious as to which one would be a better option first?

I have played Pokemon before, if that makes any difference.

Holy Order Sol said:
now I get it but can't hit delays worth shit

fuck this seriously
Don't worry, it just takes practice.

Secondly, if you don't feel like it, don't even stress it. Most Pokémon do just fine with maxed IVs in 1 or 2 stats, which is manageable by breeding, and shinies aren't the be-all end-all of everything.

Kill The Bat said:
Just looking for some advice here. I'm planning on getting a Pokemon game when the 3DS launches. Should I opt for HeartGold and get a classic experience or immediately opt for a newer experience in either Black or White?

Obviously this is a B/W thread, but I assume nearly everyone here has had experience with both. I do want to get both in the end, but I'm curious as to which one would be a better option first?

I have played Pokemon before, if that makes any difference.
Well, I'd possibly go with HeartGold first, since going from BW to HG would be distracting due to the speed difference between the two games.

There may be some things from HG that you'd miss going on to BW, but BW has it's own high points that make it a better game package.

So I currently have

Emboar/Vanillish/Galvantula/Unfezant/Excadrill/Musharna

I lack a Pokemon that can use Surf/
Dive
. I have Tirtouga though and I could teach him those moves. Who should I replace on my team though?

Emboar seems to be a total beast, as is Excadrill. Vanillish deals with Dragons. Galvantula seems to be pretty powerful and I refuse to not use him. Unfezant has fly (are there any better Pokemon that learn Fly? I fucking hate this damn bird). Musharna has Yawn/Psychic/Shadow Ball/Calm Mind which makes it a really powerful setup sweeper.

I'm thinking of replacing Musharna or Vanillish. Which one does PokeGAF suggest?

edit: Not sure if that is a spoiler.

Bentendo

EvilMario said:
I can pass out some turtle eggs later if you want one. I'm sure plenty of people already have bred them as well. A billion things learn Surf anyways (Buffaroon, Dragons, weird things) unlike Fly, so having a Water type is not always mandatory.

That's really nice to offer, but I think I'll stick with Archen. Even if I were to get the water turtle I have a rule where I have only one of a type on my team, and of course Archen and the turtle both have "rock" as a type.

Of course it would be useful to fill up my PokéDex but I've never traded online before and don't know how to. :(

ColtraineGF said:
Well, I'd possibly go with HeartGold first, since going from BW to HG would be distracting due to the speed difference between the two games.

There may be some things from HG that you'd miss going on to BW, but BW has it's own high points that make it a better game package.

Yeah, I was just curious if the differences in the two generations would be pretty annoying in making the transition. Anyone else have thoughts?

Busaiku

Ok, so I've done everything to do in the main game now besides catching Pokemon (getting a good Nature on Tornadus is so annoying).
Now I just need to come up with a good team.

So far I only know for sure that Whimsicott is gonna be on there.

I'm torn right now! This is the first Pokemon game since RB that I've gone into blind (well, the anime in syndication kind of ruined RB for me, so technically...my first?, and I'm absolutely loving exploring everything in-game and taking my time and experimenting with new Pokemon without using guides/Smogon.

On the other hand, I WANT TO MAKE MY COMPETITIVE TEAM SO BADLY! I've already soft-reset countless times for good natured Tirtouga, Zorua, and Victini and I'm already making up my mind on what I want to EV train first.

In other news, I used the GTS a lot in DPPt, but damn, nothing feels better than breeding some Tepig, throwing them up on the GTS and receiving everything you could possibly want in mere seconds.

ColtraineGF said:
Don't worry, it just takes practice.

Secondly, if you don't feel like it, don't even stress it. Most Pokémon do just fine with maxed IVs in 1 or 2 stats, which is manageable by breeding, and shinies aren't the be-all end-all of everything.

I don't care about shinies at all actually, it's just that I don't have a second DS so until I get my 3DS I'm stuck without my bunch of Dittos I usually use when breeding for IVs. I figured I could try and learn how to abuse RNG so I wouldn't have to wait.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kill The Bat said:
Yeah, I was just curious if the differences in the two generations would be pretty annoying in making the transition. Anyone else have thoughts?
Its a small thing, but going back to HG/SS is going to be very hard for me after B/W just because of the lack of animated sprites. Its jarring, the old battles feel so dead.

Raxus

Gravijah said:
Man, I cannot beat
Cynthia.
Their team make up absolutely destroys mine. :(
A chunk of her team has an x4 weakness. In particular Ice and fighting.

It is weird using TM's in this game. After spending so much time avoiding them it is odd that I can forget and relearn psychic anytime on my swoobat. I really have to change the move sets in my team.

The_Technomancer said:
Its a small thing, but going back to HG/SS is going to be very hard for me after B/W just because of the lack of animated sprites. Its jarring, the old battles feel so dead.

Hurm... well, I'm getting the indications that opting for HG/SS might be a better option, since it would be less jarring to move on to B/W afterward. Which makes sense after all, going from an older game to a newer one.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Man, I cannot beat
Cynthia.
Their team make up absolutely destroys mine. :(
All
Spiritomb
will do is double-team.

I beat
her
by opening with Haxorus and five Dragon Dances. Swept
her
entire team despite being 17 levels lower.

Gravijah

Yeah, I don't have a Pokemon with Ice Beam and my one Dragon move is on a Pokemon that's weak against
Garchomp
. :( Oh well.

r4z4

So I'm about to trade in my fossil for a Tirtouga. What nature/ability should I be going with? Thinking +Sp. Def/Solid Rock?

Edit: Or just restart till I get a female?

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Yeah, I don't have a Pokemon with Ice Beam and my one Dragon move is on a Pokemon that's weak against
Garchomp
. :( Oh well.
Well so is Haxorus. All about the stat boosters.

Hell, you could probably buy that Magikarp and teach Gyarados Ice Fang and Dragon Dance and do exactly what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom