• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ivysaur12

Banned
Hey guys, about to go up against Chuck. Here's my team...

Bayleef - 28
Gengar - 25
Staryu - 25
Electivire - 30
Dragonair - 31
Magmortar - 30

How am I looking?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I soft-reset on him so many times trying to catch a good one. Like, seriously, on and off for several weeks. It was imperative that I catch a fast one so that it could outspeed a max-speed Darkrai, so what I would do is lead with a Pokemon that had the same speed as a max-speed Darkrai. If Mewtwo moves first, then he's fast enough and I catch it. If I move first, then I reset so I don't have to trouble myself with catching and checking its stats.

After so many resets, I figured that I must have done my math wrong somewhere and started researching. Turns out that in Gen 1 through Gen 3, the badges give your party Pokemon a 10% stat boost in the quest, so I thought the wild Mewtwo was slower than it actually was because my trained Pokemon kept outspeeding it with their boost. So next time I come prepared with the proper one-under speed Pokemon and my dedicated FRLG catcher: a level 80-something Parasect with Leftovers, Double Team, Swords Dance, False Swipe, and Spore. Also had about 50 Ultra Balls and 50 Timer Balls in tow.

Double Teamed six times to max out evasion, Swords Danced three times to max out attack and make sure that I could always knock him right back down to 1 HP after each Recover. Even then, it took so long and I burned through so many turns and Pokeballs that the son of a bitch actually ran out of moves and started Struggling himself to death with 1 HP remaining. Fortunately, since my evasion is maxed out he only has a 25% chance of hitting me and therefore never managed to do so and KO himself from recoil damage.

After what seemed like an eternity I finally nail the bastard and check its stats:

Mewtwo (Timid) 29/22/28/23/28/24

So worth it. By far the best Pokemon I have ever caught without RNG abuse, and definitely the best I've caught without Synchronize as well.

So is there a not-so-complicated guide on how to Synchronize and RNG? D:

BTW to whoever asked, I believe the first gym allows all levels up to 30.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Metroid Killer said:
Wait for the Safari Zone then. I see lots of Chansey there.

Yeah, I just saw, but it looks like I'll have to wait for a few days so that the block rating would go up :S

trinest

silverbullet1080 said:
If you guys have windows 7 and a wifi card, you can download this and turn your laptop/computer into a hotspot.
Only WPA- can't do WEP which is what the DS needs :/

Edit: Seems you can set up a Ad-hoc one if it goes through lan.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Made it to Victory Road and Cyndaquil ain't cutting it anymore. Time to evolve.

I really hate the Johto starters. I think I would even pick Infernape over any of these three, and I hate Infernape too.

Dogenzaka said:
So is there a not-so-complicated guide on how to Synchronize and RNG? D:
Synchronize is super simple. Check the Natures section.

RNG? Uh, no. When you get used to it, it can take less time to catch a perfect Pokemon with RNG abuse than it would take to catch/hatch a relatively good one the normal way, but getting to that point requires a lot of effort.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Ok well....if a Pokemon catches Pokerus, and then it wears off, can they recatch it if I reintroduce it to them? How long does Pokerus last?

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:
Ok well....if a Pokemon catches Pokerus, and then it wears off, can they recatch it if I reintroduce it to them? How long does Pokerus last?
Pokerus is permanent. The only thing that can be lost is the ability to spread it to others.

Gravijah

Dogenzaka said:

Pretty sure (not 100%) Pokemon have Pokerus infinitely, they just can't spread it infinitely, so you give it to some and put them in your PC (where it'll last indefinitely)

deadnoob

Could anyone help me out and give me a poke with pokerus? I have some on Diamond but I wont be around another ds for about 2 weeks. I've already gained 15-20 levels on most pokemon and I don't want to go much further without it.

If so PM me and, FC: 2021 1937 2328

Thank you!

Sixfortyfive

...Entei can be encountered on water? Doesn't seem right.

Welp. Team's too low-leveled to do anything to it. Whacked him with ExtremeSpeed once before he fled.

Dogenzaka said:
What do the "test" questions at Dragon's Den mean? How should I answer them?
I think there are two correct answers for each question. As long as he doesn't have to repeat the question for a different answer you did it right. If you don't miss any of them, then you'll get an ExtremeSpeed Dratini. If you have to redo any of them, you'll get a normal Dratini.

Make sure you get one with ExtremeSpeed, and make sure that it's male.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:

Welp. Team's too low-leveled to do anything to it. Whacked him with ExtremeSpeed once before he fled.

I think there are two correct answers for each question. As long as he doesn't have to repeat the question for a different answer you did it right. If you don't miss any of them, then you'll get an ExtremeSpeed Dratini. If you have to redo any of them, you'll get a normal Dratini.

Uh oh...I didn't save after beating Clair either. I want that damn Dratini.

What are the correct answers?

EDIT: NVM, got them.

the answers are

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:
WTF I answered them all right and I passed with flying colors and I never got a Dratini :(
Leave, get the TM from Clair, empty one slot on your party, and return. Save in front of the elder and reset until you get one that's male. Only a male Dratini would be able to pass down ExtremeSpeed to another should you want more. This is the only way it can learn this move, I think.

Edit: Entei AGAIN?! Goddamit, I'm not even looking for you.

Jeels

What are the benefits of my starting with an Azurill going to an Azumarril, versus just starting with a Marill ---> Azumarill.

Sixfortyfive

Jeels said:
What are the benefits of my starting with an Azurill going to an Azumarril, versus just starting with a Marill ---> Azumarill.
Probably learns different moves. Check Serebii.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jeels said:

Besides Pokedex entries? Nothing really.

Gravijah said:
FRLG Mewtwo. Now that was a legendary I felt proud of catching... was a bastard and a half.
Caught mine with a great ball.

As well as all the birds.

Every single time... They all escaped the Ultra Balls, yet the Great Balls worked fine. I seriously have no idea what it is.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
Leave, get the TM from Clair, empty one slot on your party, and return. Save in front of the elder and reset until you get one that's male. Only a male Dratini would be able to pass down ExtremeSpeed to another should you want more. This is the only way it can learn this move, I think.

Edit: Entei AGAIN?! Goddamit, I'm not even looking for you.
;______________;

Wish I'd known that 30 seconds ago.

Does anybody have a male they could lend me sometime? ;_;

trinest

silverbullet1080 said:
There's a WEP mode too :lol
Yeah but I still can't get it to work- when my DS scans for it its full bars and has a red lock, and when I make it test the connection there is no singal.

Have you accuarly got this working on the DS?

trinest said:
Yeah but I still can't get it to work- when my DS scans for it its full bars and has a red lock, and when I make it test the connection there is no singal.

Have you accuarly got this working on the DS?

Where is the toggle option for WEP? I have it up and running and want to try it.

Sixfortyfive said:

Wait a sec... I answered them all right, and I wasn't offered a Dratini. Who do I talk to in order to claim my prize?

edit: Read a few posts above. NEVERMIND.

trinest

Gamer @ Heart said:
Where is the toggle option for WEP? I have it up and running and want to try it.
Right click on the icon and go "show ad-hoc" if your laptop is hooked up to a lan instead via wifi you can use the internet from the ethernet cable and then send out stuff via your wifi using an ad-hoc network which has a WEP encryption.

trinest said:
Right click on the icon and go "show ad-hoc" if your laptop is hooked up to a lan instead via wifi you can use the internet from the ethernet cable and then send out stuff via your wifi using an ad-hoc network which has a WEP encryption.

Dam. I would have to move my laptop across the apartment. Still, this is a fantastic workaround to changing my router settings every time i want to trade!

trinest

Gamer @ Heart said:
Dam. I would have to move my laptop across the apartment. Still, this is a fantastic workaround to changing my router settings every time i want to trade!
Thats if it works lol!

I want to get mine working :/ but it dosn't want to. Any tips? Do you know why its doing what its doing for me and if I should change it? Also wtf does a red lock mean.

I think its better just to bum around at something like maccas or eb or somewhere with free wifi- unless theres other programs which do simular things which are more worked out.

OMG Aero

I tried out that Windows 7 program on my PC and it didn't work for me either. I got it up and running and my DS would detect it, but the PC lost connection to the internet as soon as I started the hotspot and whenever I try to connect with the DS it just brings up error messages when it does a connection test.

trinest said:
Thats if it works lol!

I want to get mine working :/ but it dosn't want to. Any tips? Do you know why its doing what its doing for me and if I should change it? Also wtf does a red lock mean.

I think its better just to bum around at something like maccas or eb or somewhere with free wifi- unless theres other programs which do simular things which are more worked out.

Your right, i cant get it to work. Its set up on LAN and in AdHoc Wep mode but my DSi isnt picking up its signal while it was picking up the signal in WPA mode.

trinest

An idea just occured to me, the computer I'm pretty sure connects to the connection you have made in wifi manager, what if you disconnect it from that and then try?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Kad5 said:
What are some good grass type pokemon you can catch in the game? Right now im in Ilex forest.

I loved my Bellsprout :D

I suppose if you deal with Hoppip for a while it could become a nice Jumpluff.

Harpuia

silverbullet1080 said:
If you guys have windows 7 and a wifi card, you can download this and turn your laptop/computer into a hotspot.

I suppose there isn't a Vista equivalent of this? :( I wish to play the Pokemon with a friend over wifi...alas, she is..not very computer literate. :lol

trinest

Harpuia said:
I suppose there isn't a Vista equivalent of this? :( I wish to play the Pokemon with a friend over wifi...alas, she is..not very computer literate. :lol
There isn't, its because this uses a feature in Windows 7 which wasn't released but does the same thing. XP and Vista don't have the feature.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dammit I just looked. The Pikachu colored Pichu event ends on March 25th, before I'm to go home and get my copy of Diamond ;_;

Why does it say the Pichu is not shareable...... but you have to send it to Heart Gold/ Soul Silver?

Did the Arceus event already happen? I think I missed it both in Diamond and in Silver.

Harpuia

trinest said:
There isn't, its because this uses a feature in Windows 7 which wasn't released but does the same thing. XP and Vista don't have the feature.

Ah, I see! Oh well, guess I'll have to guide her through changing the encryption myself.

Sixfortyfive

Trojita said:
Why does it say the Pichu is not shareable...... but you have to send it to Heart Gold/ Soul Silver?
It's possible for some wondercards to be copied from one DS to another if that wondercard allows it. So you could have a friend get the card from a distribution center (Gamestop, TRU, wi-fi) and then copy the card over to your game without you having to bother fetching it yourself.

In theory, anyway. I don't know if any actual events have made use of this feature.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
It's possible for some wondercards to be copied from one DS to another if that wondercard allows it. So you could have a friend get the card from a distribution center (Gamestop, TRU, wi-fi) and then copy the card over to your game without you having to bother fetching it yourself.

In theory, anyway. I don't know if any actual events have made use of this feature.

The Rotom one did, I'm pretty sure.

trinest

Gamer @ Heart said:
Well i gave up on it. If you figure it out trinest, shoot me a PM.
I don't think I will, I played around with it for awhile but I gave up on it too- if the next version makes it happen then maybe.

Harpuia

Galactic Quail said:
Um, so i'm having some trouble here...

I just made it inside the slowpoke well and I can't find any slowpokes...only zubats...help?

Did you clear out the Rockets that are inside the well? I think you have to do that first.

Gravijah

Clair down, my only Pokemon left being a level 39 Slowking (40HP and paralyzed). Gengar's Curse did most of the work on the last 'Mon... And it scared me shitless when I got it down to red only for her to use a Full Restore.

Top Bottom