• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kad5 said:
Are togekiss's any good?

I transfered my togekiss from platinum. Although I am wondering if the togepi you get in soulsilver is much better....
As long as it has Serene Grace as its ability (not Hustle). Air Slash becomes lolbroken with it.

Kad5 said:
Are togekiss's any good?

I transfered my togekiss from platinum. Although I am wondering if the togepi you get in soulsilver is much better....

Yes, with the right moves and ability.

You want one with Serene Grace. You want it to have Thunder Wave/Air Slash/Aura Sphere/Roost

or perhaps Nasty Plot instead of Sphere/Wave...

Serene Grace + Paralysis + Air Slash = Your opponent can't move 70% of the time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If you're using it for the quest, you don't even need Roost either. (Just use potions.) Frees up another moveslot, which is always nice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I love Togekiss purely because of the amount of TMs you can teach it. I have one for every "area." :D But I still have to transfer it over from Pearl, so I forget its exact movelist.

I also seem to remember it being high on SpAtk/HP.

The Togepi in HGSS know Extrasensory, which is a great move, but not necessary for Togekiss.

Lkr said:
how do I find out how happy my Pokemons are? My Pikachu-colored-Pichu needs to evolve already
Talk to a happiness rater. There is one in Goldenrod in the house north of the bicycle shop.

"It looks really happy! It must love you a lot." = 250-255
"I get the feeling that it really trusts you." = 200-249
"It's friendly toward you. It looks sort of happy." = 150-199
"It's quite cute." = 100-149
"You should treat it better. It's not used to you." = 50-99
"It doesn't seem to like you at all. It looks mean." = 0-49

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Obsessed said:
Yes, with the right moves and ability.

You want one with Serene Grace. You want it to have Thunder Wave/Air Slash/Aura Sphere/Roost

or perhaps Nasty Plot instead of Sphere/Wave...

Serene Grace + Paralysis + Air Slash = Your opponent can't move 70% of the time.

Wow, that sounds like a great movelist. I'll have to make another Togekiss for this one.

Axis

i've decided to run the last 8 badges with an entirely different team...

larvitar
absol
jolteon
heracross
staryu
spearow for fly

if there's anyone who'd fit better into it i'm open to suggestion

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I kind of wish I didn't learn about IV's and EV's, it was much simpler playing the games without a care in the world.

Now I'm going to be paranoid everytime I level or catch a pokemon.

Blu_LED said:
It's just plain dumb. Not fun at all, completely chance, and there is no way to have any strategy.
Yeah Gamefreak needs to make a 'game corner' game that is actually fun for Gen 5. I own the japanese verion of HG, and I spent 20 mins on the slot machine and then I went straight to the counter to just buy the damn coins instead. Haven't used them since.

Eteric Rice

Blu_LED said:
It's just plain dumb. Not fun at all, completely chance, and there is no way to have any strategy.

If you think it's all chance then you're doing it wrong. :lol

Trojita said:
I kind of wish I didn't learn about IV's and EV's, it was much simpler playing the games without a care in the world.

It's best not to worry about this stuff until you beat the game, really. Continue going through the game without a care in the world. :D

Trojita said:

Well just make sure to differentiate on what you'll use the pokemon for. There really isn't any reason to go all out if you'll just use some pokemon for some part of the maingame.

Blu_LED said:

I know that. I meant, what exactly does Europe have to do with Voltorb Flip?

Eteric Rice said:
If you think it's all chance then you're doing it wrong. :lol

Oh no! None of the rows have 0 voltorbs! You better pray to the gods that the first one you pick isn't a voltorb otherwise you are back down a level lolololololololol!

You can generally eliminate some of the rows, but many many many games come down to pure chance.

Hex

Banned
Trying to put together a team due to mainly what I like but input is welcome.
Going with:
Tentacool/Cruel (You can not go wrong with Cthulhu in your party)
Ninetails (Fire)
Murkrow/Honchrow Flying/Dark
Ghastly/Gengar
Umbreon
Croconile (Starter)

I need an anchor though (and I may be going overboard on the dark thing too)
any advice?
(I am only 4 badges in)

Holepunch

Obsessed said:
I know that. I meant, what exactly does Europe have to do with Voltorb Flip?

Europe has some anti-gambling laws. Slots were replaced with Voltorb Flip as a work around because it costs nothing to play. For whatever reason this was the same for North America as well.

This doesn't stop you from buying instant-scratch lottery tickets later in the game though!

Hex

Banned
The ONLY think that I like about Volt-orb flip is that it is free to play, where in Platinum I believe it cost to play the slots.

Zilch

Banned
Obsessed said:
Oh no! None of the rows have 0 voltorbs! You better pray to the gods that the first one you pick isn't a voltorb otherwise you are back down a level lolololololololol!

You can generally eliminate some of the rows, but many many many games come down to pure chance.

Ha, there is much more strategy than that. It's a fun game if you know how to play it.

Lkr

Metroid Killer said:
The Togepi in HGSS know Extrasensory, which is a great move, but not necessary for Togekiss.

Talk to a happiness rater. There is one in Goldenrod in the house north of the bicycle shop.

"It looks really happy! It must love you a lot." = 250-255
"I get the feeling that it really trusts you." = 200-249
"It's friendly toward you. It looks sort of happy." = 150-199
"It's quite cute." = 100-149
"You should treat it better. It's not used to you." = 50-99
"It doesn't seem to like you at all. It looks mean." = 0-49
how high do i need for evo?

220. I wish you could choose what ball a pokemon would get when breeding, instead of just the normal monster balls. Would make happiness evos too easy I guess...

Jeels

Zilch said:
Ha, there is much more strategy than that. It's a fun game if you know how to play it.

Right, but even beyond that strategy, when it comes down to important choices, it's pure luck. I've been playing this game for a couple hours now, I've watched all the youtube videos on it, read up on various threads on multiple forums. Behind all that strategy, it just comes down to stupid luck, there's no logic to the game at all and its straddling between both strategy and luck, to the point where after all that hard thinking you do, you get unlucky and its just frustrating.

Zilch

Banned
Well, I will agree that sometimes the game forces you to try your luck when turning over a square. But even if you play levels 1-3 (easy and quick for me to do) a few times you can quickly amass the 2100 coins needed for a Dratini.

Zilch said:

Ok so... all of the rows have voltorbs. Which square do you pick on your first go?

Naturally you would go with one that has 1-2 torbs in it.... that is still a 1/5-2/5 chance to lose on the first go.

Zilch

Banned
Obsessed said:
Ok so... all of the rows have voltorbs. Which square do you pick on your first go?

Naturally you would go with one that has 1-2 torbs in it.... that is still a 1/5-2/5 chance to lose on the first go.

Well you don't really face that sort of board until level 4 (maybe 3 sometimes) but yes I'd just start flipping until I hit a 2 or 3 and was able to work backwards from there.

Jeels

Zilch said:
Well you don't really face that sort of board until level 4 (maybe 3 sometimes) but yes I'd just start flipping until I hit a 2 or 3 and was able to work backwards from there.

I've faced situations like that in level one.

I've faced ituations in level 2, where after knocking out what you can. I'm face with a column that totals 8 and has one voltrob, and a row that totals 7 and has one. I choose the intersection, and I still lose at such high odds. This is what I'm talking about where the game can't choose if its based on strategy or luck.

Anyway, I got my 2100 for a dratini, so I'm done. =x

btkadams

Andrex said:
Am I sequence breaking? I went from Lt. Surge to Sabrina to Janine and I just went up cycling path to Celadon. :lol
i definitely sequence broke in johto. i got the 7th badge when i was supposed to get the 5th. i was wondering why it was hard!

Delio

Afternoon Pokethread! I'm currently trying to get a wooper so i can breed it to have recover in HG. While it's common to find it just trying to get the right nature.

btkadams said:
i definitely sequence broke in johto. i got the 7th badge when i was supposed to get the 5th. i was wondering why it was hard!

I believe 5-7 can be done in any order, I did 6, then 5, then 7. Clearing out the Rockets is super easy after going through those two gyms, though.

JSnake

So I've asked before, but I'm about to go up against the E4 after I grind a few more levels, so I thought I'd ask again: Does anyone have a Thunderbolt TM they could have a crappy filler pokemon hold and send to me? It would be really appreciated. Voltorb Flip is making me lose my mind.

I defeated the Champion!

Sadly, choice scarf Lapras was still a little too slow. I had to paralyze everything before delivering the fatal ice beam.

Time to start my Kanto journey.

Nayishiki

JSnake said:
So I've asked before, but I'm about to go up against the E4 after I grind a few more levels, so I thought I'd ask again: Does anyone have a Thunderbolt TM they could have a crappy filler pokemon hold and send to me? It would be really appreciated. Voltorb Flip is making me lose my mind.

I got one on Platinum Fc is 1505 7817 2308

Lkr said:
in Blackthorn City, Togepi finally evolved. How do I evolve Togetic?

You need a Shiny Stone

If you are lucky you'll get a Luvdics swarm and can then harvest a ton of heart scales in no time. The Pokeatlhon shop has one wednesday.

Shiny Stone!!!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Okay I was just playing Soul Silver and lmao my DS Lite broke. At first I thought my broken shoulder button broke off but then I realized I could see the electronic board inside the device.

Normally I'd be really pissed off but the way it came off was just hilariously bad especially for a Nintendo Product.

I'll try and get some pictures of it up later.

Edit: Here are the pictures

4452086530_bcd810b5c1_o.jpg

4452086542_2daac9d144_o.jpg

Man now it's sunk in that I'll have to get a new DS. I was planning on getting an XL when it goes on sale but ughhh. FML

Top Bottom