• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was going to watch a movie, but since catching wind that the capitol building rotunda imploded I'm now watching the rerun of Maddow.

Two more years.

I could never be friends with people that deluded. It'd drive me insane.

like el retorno, i live in the south and all my friends through high school and college have been conservative. i mean, i can probably count a few acquaintances as liberals, but they're not the people i grew up with, or around. as such, i've grown up in the echo chamber and the stuff hannity and limbaugh say isn't really surprising, or shocking, because i often hear worse from my friends. and since i listen to the hannity and limbaugh too, it's pretty easy to tell when they're regurgitating quips they've heard or have simply exited stage right. and also like el retorno, the other stuff in our friendship makes up for their horrific and insane political views.

this is exactly why i have no friends

is what i tell myself

In my case they're mostly chicks and chicks are chicks dude. I've even been with 9/11 conspiracy theorists (she was foreign so I didn't feel as bad I just considered that she didn't speak English well enough so she was confused)

Link

The Autumn Wind
In my case they're mostly chicks and chicks are chick dude. I've even been with 9/11 conspiracy theorists (she was foreign so I didn't feel as bad I just considered that she didn't speak English well enough so she was confused)
Well, you know what they say: Crazy in the head, crazy in the bed.

like el retorno, i live in the south and all my friends through high school and college have been conservative. i mean, i can probably count a few acquaintances as liberals, but they're not the people i grew up with, or around. as such, i've grown up in the echo chamber and the stuff hannity and limbaugh say isn't really surprising, or shocking, because i often hear worse from my friends. and since i listen to the hannity and limbaugh too, it's pretty easy to tell when they're regurgitating quips they've heard or have simply exited stage right. and also like el retorno, the other stuff in our friendship makes up for their horrific and insane political views.

the sad thing is they're not "stupid" its they've just been brought up in this post-regan world that has this christian persecution complex, I can actually get them to agree to liberal positions until they realize that they're liberal positions which gets them to revert back to talking points.

FC01.jpg

Glorious.

Basically, only hardcore GOP people blame Obama. All Dems blame the GOP, and Indies also mostly blame the GOP with some of them split evenly.

lol GOP. Good tactic.

In my case they're mostly chicks and chicks are chick dude. I've even been with 9/11 conspiracy theorists (she was foreign so I didn't feel as bad I just considered that she didn't speak English well enough so she was confused)

gotta do what you gotta do.

in my case, i had to work on it. my girlfriend comes from an ultraconservative, fox news watching, talk radio listening family. fortunately though, after 5 years i have fully indoctrinated her. her mom was so disappointed and flabbergasted when she found out she voted for obama. my gf always thought like and approached issues like a liberal though, it was just a matter of breaking her away from the family tradition of dumbfuckery. so i guess i'm lucky.

i don't know if i would be able to survive in a relationship with someone who has gone full fox news though.

gotta do what you gotta do.

in my case, i had to work on it. my girlfriend comes from an ultraconservative, fox news watching, talk radio listening family. fortunately though, after 5 years i have fully indoctrinated her. her mom was so disappointed and flabbergasted when she found out she voted for obama. my gf always thought like and approached issues like a liberal though, it was just a matter of breaking her away from the family tradition of dumbfuckery. so i guess i'm lucky.

i don't know if i would be able to survive in a relationship with someone who has gone full fox news though.

Oh I've never been in a "relationship" with them. Their parents own guns.

lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
I often wonder how many "hardcore Republicans" would change their views if they were taken out of the Fox News bubble.

I often wonder how many "hardcore Republicans" would change their views if they were taken out of the Fox News bubble.

based on my experiences, i would say close to zero. they were crazy before fox news and they'll be crazy after fox news. it's just that outlets like foxnews, talk radio, and the tubes of internet serve to amplify the nuttiness.

I've seen a few change. Its hard to force it. They have to come out on their own accord. telling them they're idiots just reinforces their views.

based on my experiences, i would say close to zero. they were crazy before fox news and they'll be crazy after fox news. it's just that outlets like foxnews, talk radio, and the tubes of internet serve to amplify the nuttiness.

yeah, it's not like they would start religiously paying attention to real news sources. they would just continue in ignorance but without the daily talking points. i guess that is a huge improvement though.

nothing stranger than being able to tell where people get their news based on their opinions.

My favorite political conversion story is a friend who was a liberal from new york who moved down to the south fell in love with it, picked up a fake southern accent and became a republican, got addicted to pain pills went to christian rehab place and is now a back to being a liberal, obama voter.

why are you going to 300k?

I'm willing to concede some ground there, why not. It's like when you were a kid and your parents said you could watch TV for a couple hours...then you fucked up and your parents told you "now you get 30 minutes." Well, Boehner fucked up, he probably won't be getting the 400k rate+chained CPI.

I'm willing to concede some ground there, why not. It's like when you were a kid and your parents said you could watch TV for a couple hours...then you fucked up and your parents told you "now you get 30 minutes." Well, Boehner fucked up, he probably won't be getting the 400k rate+chained CPI.

I'm not saying you don't end up there but why does he offer it now after tonight? He should play to boehners weakness now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah, I don't see why Obama should have to concede any ground now. After the cliff, I'd be like "So here's my tax cut proposal for everyone under $250k. Anyone not wanna sign it?"

uh, Boehner can't get anything passed right now. There's no offer for Obama to give. Boehner got neutered tonight. He has zero power. He can't negotiate.

The GOP won't bring anything the Senate comes up with to a vote. Therefore, everything will be post-cliff. And it will be tax cuts and then a negotiation of defense cuts for other things.

uh, Boehner can't get anything passed right now. There's no offer for Obama to give. Boehner got neutered tonight. He has zero power. He can't negotiate.

The GOP won't bring anything the Senate comes up with to a vote. Therefore, everything will be post-cliff. And it will be tax cuts and then a negotiation of defense cuts for other things.

Oh, definitely. But obviously there will be another play at a "big bargain" and that's what I was speaking to.

Next year they should just pass the middle class tax cut

Wow. A wall like that would freak me out. When I was younger, that probably wouldn't stop me but now I just wouldn't want to deal with that.

holy crap I think that literally might be it.

there was even a bible in old Latin scrip with its own stand next to it.
Pffft, Latin. That's for posers. Real Bible geeks read Greek, 4th century (and hope we can find earlier texts that are not just scraps).

I used to think that having something like Prime Minister's Questions in the US would be cool and allow the president to be directly questioned by members of congress and there would be some accountability. But then I realized that it would just turn into a shouting match with a bunch of one liners and wouldn't accomplish anything.

I just realized this Boehner fiasco happened like 10 days after Mitch McConnell filibustered his own bill. You couldn't make this shit up 3 weeks ago!

I need an underwear of a prominent GOPer with his underwear on his head for an avatar.

edit: The best way for this end would be Boehner, in a fit of rage having been embarassed and losing his position decides in the next few days to pass Obama's bill by bringing it to the floor and aligning with Pelosi. Then announce your retirement from politics, drop the mic, go home. He would live in infamy rather than forgotten soon.

Forever

Banned
edit: The best way for this end would be Boehner, in a fit of rage having been embarassed and losing his position decides in the next few days to pass Obama's bill by bringing it to the floor and aligning with Pelosi. Then announce your retirement from politics, drop the mic, go home. He would live in infamy rather than forgotten soon.

McConnell would filibuster and it would die in the senate.

Well, I mean the Obama-Senate bill. He couldn't fillibuster whatever the Senate agrees to pass. It would have 60.

Also: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324461604578192123952679666.html#articleTabs=article

From the Boehner Plan B thread. This is an AMAZING read on how this is all Obama's fault. Seriously, read it.

edit: The comments. Oh lordy the comments!

I love the comments in that article

amen. the democrats now clearly have the ball. and in 2 years will be held responsible for obama's economy- not bush's.

The President has the most to lose in all this. The GOP is already on rock bottom. No one really thought they would pull a rabbit out of a hat, particularly with a lame duck Congress. Obama is the President and leadership starts from the top down. This is the fruit of his "leadership."

This would not be happening if Romney were President.

pigeon

Banned
It's an exciting time to follow politics.

I do wonder whether Boehner will try to pass an actual deal while he remains Speaker using Democratic votes. He doesn't have much time, but he could at least get something done for the good of the country!

It's an exciting time to follow politics.

I do wonder whether Boehner will try to pass an actual deal while he remains Speaker using Democratic votes. He doesn't have much time, but he could at least get something done for the good of the country!

Seems like there are three options now:

Option A: Boehner alligns with Pelosi and Obama-Reid to cut a real Grand Bargain and he somehow finds enough GOP to come along with him with all the House Dems.

Option B: Here comes fiscal cliff. GOP passes tax cuts for $250k + some other tax stuff (estate, AMT). They negotiate a few spending cuts/stimulus/extensions for more defense spending. Everything else is kicked down the road.

Option C: GOP lights the underwear on their heads on fire and refuse to pass any tax cuts unless it involves all the Bush tax cuts and/or repealing something like Obamacare.

Like you said, this is a great time to follow politics. it's really compelling. And Option C didn't seem possible just 1 week ago. But now? I give it 6:1 odds.

edit: It's so sad there is no new Daily Show for this. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pigeon

Banned

Option A: Boehner alligns with Pelosi and Obama-Reid to cut a real Grand Bargain and he somehow finds enough GOP to come along with him with all the House Dems.

Pelosi is once again the key figure here, because Pelosi provides Obama cover to back off his previous positions. Nancy can get her members to go out now and say "yeah we're not doing chained CPI" or whatever and drag the deal to the left. (We probably will still do chained CPI, but that's the concept.)

Option B: Here comes fiscal cliff. GOP passes tax cuts for $250k + some other tax stuff (estate, AMT). They negotiate a few spending cuts/stimulus/extensions for more defense spending. Everything else is kicked down the road.

If this happens I expect that we'll get the tax cuts under $250k, maybe AMT, a complete mulligan on the sequester for a year or so, and nothing else.

Cloudy

Banned

It seems obvious to me that we are going over the cliff unless the market tanks like 500 points today and keeps dropping next week..

Like you said, this is a great time to follow politics. it's really compelling.
edit: It's so sad there is no new Daily Show for this. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would usually agree with you but I'm kind of squeamish cos I have a lot of money in the market. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it looks like the GOP won't get their way by throwing a tantrum this time but the short-term implications of this will be severe. Hard to get too much lulz from the GOP implosion when my portfolio is doing the same lol

thefro

I would usually agree with you but I'm kind of squeamish cos I have a lot of money in the market. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it looks like the GOP won't get their way by throwing a tantrum this time but the short-term implications of this will be severe. Hard to get too much lulz from the GOP implosion when my portfolio is doing the same lol

Gonna be a great opportunity to buy some stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom