• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Come in

http://www.plug.dj/pop-gaf/

or this cat will keep crying
iMFS7U0V8SxwF.gif

Mau ®

He is bisexual tho.

And tbh all I see when people discuss him is his music. Not his adventures in COCKLAND. Obviously his coming out gave him more visibility but it's not as if nobody knew about him before. Nostalgia ULTRA had widespread critical acclaim.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm glad that using your sexual orientation for promo pays off

ifpr4Gop6Rswl.gif
So this is how y'all roll in pop-gaf.

Nostalgia Ultra was quality
Lonny Breaux collection was quality.

Pretty sure his promo was his singing. Also when did coming out as possibly being bisexual become a promotion especially in the RnB community. Lets get real here.
LETS GET REAL.

yep_you_mad_football.gif

The saltiness in your post is pretty extreme. Get your blood pressure checked.

friday_gif_collection_05.gif

Koodo

Banned
Besides, what's inherently wrong with using your sexual orientation as promo? Don't be a drag, just be a queen.
It becomes a problem when the sexual orientation overshadows the music, which is what Lambert's career has recently become.

The publicity surrounding his last album became off-putting to a high degree. Blogs proclaiming to support the album for his sexual orientation to send a message; and Lambert himself giving an admittedly sound observation of the challenges out gay men in the industry face, yet the statement read like a subtle attempt to dismiss his detractors whom get catty with him because of a DROUGHT in QUALITY.

His lukewarm career is a testament to the fact that, before any ADJECTIVE can be bestowed upon an artist, the NOUN must hold up on its own; Lambert failed to PASS that test, so now he's attempting to TRESPASS into consumers' wallets on a sparkly rainbow boat.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
but why would Bey promote this on her page

obviously this was more to do with his orientation than his music
and she wanted to let the world know that he is bi

http://i.minus.com/iG9TYaMFPxtaa.gif[/IMG]

I think you posted the wrong image in your post. That image doesn't say "Be bisexual". Maybe you linked the wrong image. Clearly there was a typo of some sort. A simple error.

I'll wait for you to fix your post.
e9zUZ.gif

It becomes a problem when the sexual orientation overshadows the music, which is what Lambert's career has recently become.

The publicity surrounding his last album became off-putting to a high degree. Blogs proclaiming to support the album for his sexual orientation to send a message; and Lambert himself giving an admittedly sound observation of the challenges out gay men in the industry face, yet the statement read like a subtle attempt to dismiss his detractors whom get catty with him because of a DROUGHT in QUALITY.

His lukewarm career is a testament to the fact that, before any ADJECTIVE can be bestowed upon an artist, the NOUN must hold up on its own; Lambert failed to PASS that test, so now he's attempting to TRESPASS into consumers' wallets on a sparkly rainbow boat.

I guess I can't speak to the quality of Lambert's music, but I'm just happy we've come to a point where coming out is no longer a career killing move- it may have even boosted Frank's career. But who knows, maybe Frank's doing well because his album is actually damn good and orientation has nothing to do with it.

... aw, poor dat @ Lambert though.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
even Target knew what Frankie was up to

"Target has refused to carry Frank's album because of iTunes exclusive," Clancy wrote in a (since-deleted) tweet. "Interesting since they also donate to non-equal rights organizations."

and when you search him half of his news results are about his sexuality

the receipts dont lie gurls
iQXnlwAoPeBUB.gif

Koodo

Banned
I guess I can't speak to the quality of Lambert's music, but I'm just happy we've come to a point where coming out is no longer a career killing move- it may have even boosted Frank's career. But who knows, maybe Frank's doing well because his album is actually damn good and orientation has nothing to do with it.
It's great to see how public homosexuality is no longer an automatic career killer, but Frank's letter only brought attention to his career. Attention does not lead to commitment, and his opening sales infer there was commitment which is usually a product of quality.

Personally, the letter made me aware of Frank, but I had no intention on pressing PLAY on his album until it started getting buzz for being GREAT.

AND YES, his album needs to be in the OP. *O*

Christopher

Not gonna lie I didn't know who this Frank Ocean was until he announced his sexuality..I'm guessing like me many were curious (haaaaa) to see what his music was about.

Adam Lambert first album wasn't that bad he had a few hits and his voice is actually pretty good a couple of good standout tracks from that album...not here for his personality though.

Aaliyah - I'm here for that. I fondly remember her music growing up, and rock the boat was such a great song; so is try again still know the lyrics to that song. It doesn't help that she was also dangerously beautiful while still maintaining an edge to her.

That Katy Perry and Russell Brand breakup was so awful, have we ever got a clear answer to why they broke up? At least Katy is making some money - shameless, but she's getting paid...she also promised to go away for awhile after the last two singles so thank god.

Aretha Franklyn is freaking legendary... We don't want to hear your shade Kathy Lee.

Not gonna lie I didn't know who this Frank Ocean was until he announced his sexuality..I'm guessing like me many were curious (haaaaa) to see what his music was about.

frank-ocean-blurry-image.gif

Well, I'd understand that the gay community might show more interest in his music because he announced he was bi, but Frank Ocean was popular before that or the new album. Odd Future is fairly well known and their popularity peaked last summer, especially with the Tyler album. Everyone loves Frank and it's not because of his sexuality, it's because he's the next generation of R&B, along with The Weeknd. I prefer The Weeknd personally, but Frank Ocean is great too. I didn't even know he was bi until last week.

Anyway, I doubt anyone here would consider her pop, but Zola Jesus is amazing and her most recent album Contaus, is great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHRFqjGCUvU

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Trespassing is a really good album. I'm not really sure what people expect out of him. It's almost like he was so good in so many genres on AI that people picked their favorite niche and wanted him to make a record tailored exactly for them. Then they judge his career based on sales (which are fine) and equate that with quality of work. Whether or not people like his tone it really can't be debated that his singing ability is just on another level from almost every current pop artist out there.

More to the point of straight v. gay...he would certainly be more popular if he was straight. His songs are frequently about being gay or gay romance. Not that they can't be interpreted in other ways but the reality is that he is a gay artist talking about love/life/challenges from a gay perspective and that is difficult for a straight audience to really relate to. I know I don't really get into his songs as much just for that reason...I have no problem with his "gayness"...I just don't relate as well to the music as if he were straight.

Yes, now we'll get some gay GAF saying they don't like him. That is fine but doesn't really change the argument.

Sai-kun

Banned
but why would Bey promote this on her page

obviously this was more to do with his orientation than his music
and she wanted to let the world know that he is bi

iG9TYaMFPxtaa.gif

it's called being fucking happy for someone for being honest with everyone about who they are

it's a really simple concept to grasp

devilru

Neo Member
Gaga even attempts to go to countries where they want to kill her just so she can perform for her fans

Madonna was right when she said "She's not me"

I gotta make some gifs, if I had one it would be blowing you a kiss or something

Hard Candy > MDNA

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I wonder what prompted the cancellation. Would they lose money due to exchange rates or something? Unlikely given the ticket prices. Maybe she couldn't be bothered flying so far.

Noshino

Gaga even attempts to go to countries where they want to kill her just so she can perform for her fans

Madonna was right when she said "She's not me"
iJaq59XhX66u1.gif

damn right she isn't her

Madonna still relevant to this day, and she doesnt even need to wear costumes to stand out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom