• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

1000 posts in 4 days?

Pop Gaf is on a roll.

ibz3b79HfQgkVc.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't know why you're all so keen to drag JM's commercial success.

It's not as though being popular made CRJ good. Or Xtina.

tumblr_m79i44atz61r3tb1ige.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I feel like Call My Name could have smashed in the US if Cheryl Cole wasn't replaced on the US X-Factor.

It's such a great song.

Maybe the U.S. will pick it up 2 and a half years from now.

EDIT: wow it wasn't even released here. never mind

botty

Banned
I feel like Call My Name could have smashed in the US if Cheryl Cole wasn't replaced on the US X-Factor.

It's such a great song.

She was also never apart of the US X-Factor...

ikmnf16VUWQtD.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
She was also never apart of the US X-Factor...

ikmnf16VUWQtD.gif

She was dropped early on because racist Americans can't understand foreign accents.

ibzhfkezr0ay7avob4p.gif

It's such a great song.

Sis Cheryl has more important things on the cards than her own career at the moment namely GODS ALOUD REUNION.
075ee6d1.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I wouldn't call a career that's constantly being talked about dead. Girls Aloud on the other hand...

i4F3nmHEI54Uq.gif

Nice gif btw. Saved.

Girls Aloud were on top of their game when they decided to take a hiatus.
That subsequently lasted three years negativeman.gif

Remind me again, what kind of state was Xtina's career in when she 'decided' to take a break?

cherhairshadeactualslz6jeq.gif

Smug criticisms of Madonna and endless Gaga comparisons are a victory for ageism and misogyny

So when Madonna, looking great, convincingly performs with more verve than much younger singers, does the trivia of the ‘real’ woman’s age actually matter? Well, only if you let it; which would indicate a pretty poor ability to separate your critical faculties from what you read on the Mail online (who have drawn attention to the fact that some have said the show didn’t have enough old hits to entertain a casual fan). Madonna’s MDNA album was No. 1 on iTunes across the world, so those who didn’t expect her to play a lot of the new songs are too gormless to be sympathised with. What kind of ‘casual fan’ spends £77 to go and see someone they’re not that into, anyway?

I do have one problem with Tuesday’s concert, however. Almost as vexing as people’s inability to discuss Madonna without quipping about her age, is the fact that these days you can’t seem to mention Madonna or Lady Gaga independently of each other. Comparisons in the press and internet warring between fans is rife as ever, yet as recording artists they are really not that similar. That’s right. Or at least, not as similar as legions of beardy male singer-songwriters or hundreds of dirgey Indie rock bands, one truly completely indistinguishable from the next, whose sameness is never addressed. These unfounded comparisons seem to be the burden of female artists only, and should be exposed and discussed for the inequality they are.

The irony of accusing Madonna of having grown desperate, as brainless articles like this have, seems to be lost on many forgetful people. This is a woman whose first forays into the public eye involved rolling around on stage in a wedding dress and showing her pants. If she is desperate now, she always has been. And if that ‘desperation’ spurs her to continue inspiring, entertaining, making money and having fun then I say hoo-fucking-ray. The MDNA tour is on track to be among the highest-grossing ever. If I had her job, I wouldn’t want to quit either.

tumblr_m7fjgvM3dj1rbr8yfo1_500.jpg

Madonna's MDNA Tour Poised To Be Among Highest Grossing Of All Time

Madonna has taken in $50 million from the first three weeks of her MDNA tour. And with 70 more shows left, the Material Girl is on track to gross more than $450 million from ticket sales alone. This will make her current tour one of the most successful of all time.
tumblr_m7fjisuJxt1rbr8yfo1_500.jpg

Hy1bY.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't recall the Guardian reviews making mention of her age.

It did, however, mention the fact that the MDNA songs suck and she's butchered some of her older songs in the tour.

Is that something to do with her age?

The Daily Mail had something about how she shouldn't be getting her tits out at her age but...the Daily Mail.

I don't recall the Guardian reviews making mention of her age.

It did, however, mention the fact that the MDNA songs suck and she's butchered some of her older songs in the tour.

Is that something to do with her age?

The Daily Mail had something about how she shouldn't be getting her tits out at her age but...the Daily Mail.

So you've never heard ANYONE shade Madonna for her age? Ever?
iPyiYCb2LzKZB.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So you've never heard ANYONE shade Madonna for her age? Ever?
iPyiYCb2LzKZB.gif

Not once.
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

So in any case apparently George Michael has a new song out?

It's...yeah...I like the production though.

Kate Moss is in the video though. #icon #legend
I seriously can't get over how beautiful Kate Moss is.

Nemesis_

^ I thought Lily was seen recording new material ANYWAY?

Also, botty sis, did you see the LOVE for AHS. Most nominations apparently. ;_; Beautiful.

Mumei

That was my fault.

I stayed in the plug.dj room and left the computer on, and it just looped all night while I was asleep.

Or I sat there for hours on end watching it over and over again.

You can pick the story you like better.

Nemesis_

Im_going_to_tell_you_a_secret.jpg

So I just finished this, I'll keep it brief because tbh I don't think anyone is checking for it.

This film was a radical departure from Truth or Dare. Madonna comes across as a genuinely likeable person who enjoys and appreciates those who are touring with her and even as a competent if not WHOLESOME mother. I kind of feel sorry for her children being carted around all these places with her but at the same time I suppose it would be an enjoyable exeprience for them - highs and lows.

It's so bizarre because somewhere between Truth or Dare and this, she's become a much more friendlier, less intimidating person. But now she seems even bitchier and cattier than ever.

She also looks so happy when she was with Guy, so maybe the breakup has just left her a little SAD and BITTER. Who knows tbh.

It was a little bit sad to see the mini interview with Lourdes who says she can't wait for the tour to be over because she spends little to no time with her mother.

Stuart Price has a large role in the film too and he seems like a RAD DUDE. Shame they didn't continue working together on her later albums ;_;

I'm going to watch the Re-Invention Tour and actually do my usual ESSAY with GIFs of course
iq8uL.gif

So I just finished this, I'll keep it brief because tbh I don't think anyone is checking for it.

This film was a radical departure from Truth or Dare. Madonna comes across as a genuinely likeable person who enjoys and appreciates those who are touring with her and even as a competent if not WHOLESOME mother. I kind of feel sorry for her children being carted around all these places with her but at the same time I suppose it would be an enjoyable exeprience for them - highs and lows.

It's so bizarre because somewhere between Truth or Dare and this, she's become a much more friendlier, less intimidating person. But now she seems even bitchier and cattier than ever.

She also looks so happy when she was with Guy, so maybe the breakup has just left her a little SAD and BITTER. Who knows tbh.

It was a little bit sad to see the mini interview with Lourdes who says she can't wait for the tour to be over because she spends little to no time with her mother.

Stuart Price has a large role in the film too and he seems like a RAD DUDE. Shame they didn't continue working together on her later albums ;_;

I'm going to watch the Re-Invention Tour and actually do my usual ESSAY with GIFs of course
iq8uL.gif

Nice review.
ib1nrGObZiYAYG.gif

Mau ®

iq8uL.gif

Im PRESSED you didnt do an essay for it. I love this documentary piece. Probably my fave pop girl doc.

You also didnt mention anything about the performances. Dat "Nobody Knows Me" performance is too much. Too flawless. None of my faves can. *.*

Mau ®

I kinda found the Reinvention Tour recording from Lisbon rather dull after watching watching the documentary . The shoot included in Im Going To Tell You a Secret was electrifying tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom