• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible GT4 delay in the US??

If so, I truly hope they're delaying the whole thing to add the online. Although, they are releasing the GT4 bundle in Japan in December.

The Playstation management team truly works in mysterious ways

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5211

However, US retailers who contacted gi.biz this week indicated that they have been asked to pull advertising citing the December launch, leading to fears that the title may have slipped to the New Year in North America as well.

Solid

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My interest in this game is fading away. No way in hell I'm giving Sony $50 for all the delays.

Slo

My only interest in this game is for online mode. I wouldn't have bought it until next year's re-release anyway.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
GT3 is still an amazing game. I just play that in the mean time. Online is a must for this game. Hopefully the delay is so they can include that as promised.

Insertia

If it's delayed they must spend that time implementing online play. :)

Deepthroat said:
No way in hell I'm giving Sony $50 for all the delays.

that's the dumbest thing i've read all day (granted i've been awake for only 30 minutes, but still...)

DSN2K

FFS just delay till next year and get the online play in, its not like Sony need more AAA titles this fall.

Insertia said:
that's the dumbest thing i've read all day (granted i've been awoke for only 30 minutes, but still...)

Agreed.

This industry is BUILT ON DELAYS!

Halo 2
Half Life 2
Doom 3
GT4
Duke Nukem Forevah!

efralope said:
although I believe it would happen anyway, this would increase the chances of NFS: Underground 2 outselling GT4...

You keep saying this, but what signs point to this actually happening? No NFS has ever outsold any GT.

Zaptruder

Banned
GT4 is a real driving sim. It's for the car nut. or just plain enthusiast. It doesn't have that much appeal to a gamer honestly...

not like BO3 or NFSU2...

but then again, I think it'll be a cold day in hell before you see vapid thrill chasers out number even moderately interested car enthusiasts.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
LOL. Yes. Try GT2 and GT3.

Assuming you're talking about worldwide which is what that NFSU number was talking about.
In one year? Which year was it respectively for GT2 and GT3? And can I get some accurate numbers too?

jarrod said:
In one year? Which year was it respectively for GT2 and GT3? And can I get some accurate numbers too?

At E3 2002, they showed GT3 as already having 11M worldwide shipped.

As far as GT2, I don't have any numbers available except LTD US NPD as of May 2002 - 2,753,638, but I remember Sony trumpeting some monster numbers for it as well.

Gran Turismo 2 SCEA 11/30/99 NA
Gran Turismo 2 SCEI 12/11/99 JP

# North American sales –
Gran TurismoTM (May 1998 release): more than 3.9 million;
Gran TurismoTM2 (December 1999 release): more than 3.8 million;

# Worldwide sales –
Gran Turismo: more than 10.8 million;
Gran Turismo 2: more than 9 million;

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
At E3 2002, they showed GT3 as already having 11M worldwide shipped.
Edit, ah didn't know GT3 numbers managed that high (I thought it was 11.7M ww). That makes GT3 the 2nd best selling game this gen (behind Pokemon RuSa, ahead of either GTA).

sonycowboy said:
As far as GT2, I don't have any numbers available except LTD US NPD as of May 2002 - 2,753,638, but I remember Sony trumpeting some monster numbers for it as well.
So no on GT2 then?

Insertia

Oh, so we're comparing NFSU2(GBA,PS2,Xbox, Gamecube,PC) to Gran Turismo4(PS2)? Yeah, it might outsell it.

But on PS2 NFS will never oust GT.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
Oh, so we're comparing NFSU2(GBA,PS2,Xbox, Gamecube,PC) to Gran Turismo4(PS2)? Yeah, it might outsell it.
Actually, I doubt it will. NSFU1 got lucky, it was a dry season.

SSX's claim is still false though, NFSU1 had outsold GTs before in comparable timeframes.

jarrod said:

SSX's claim is still false though, NFSU1 had outsold GTs before in comparable timeframes.

Jarrod, I believe you're wrong here. I'm sure that GT3 outsold in comparable timeframes and I'm pretty close to darn sure that GT2 did as well.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jarrod said:

By dry spell you mean that no other good racing games came out on any of the systems during that time period right? That's weird cause I remember this game called Project Gotham Racing 2....

WarPig

NFSU was a phenomenon. Even EA I don't think quite understands it, but it was a fucking phenomenon, in America and in Europe. The thing sold like fucking crazy in Europe.

By the way, this report jives with some stuff I've heard about the current state of the game (GT4, I mean).

DFS.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Jarrod, I believe you're wrong here. I'm sure that GT3 outsold in comparable timeframes and I'm pretty close to darn sure that GT2 did as well.
Well you have shockingly little evidence to be "pretty darn sure" in GT2's case. I guess faith can do that. :p

GT3 seems likely though... but I still think SSX's claim was false (that no NFS has ever outsold any GT).

jarrod said:
Well you have shockingly little evidence to be "pretty darn sure" in GT2's case. I guess faith can do that. :p

GT3 seems likely though... but I still think SSX's claim was false (that no NFS has ever outsold any GT).

I'm sorry I don't keep news bits from 4 years ago. However, if you're going to claim the reverse, you really should have proof for your assertion as well. :D

All of this being sold, I think GT is going to have a craptacular launch if it happens this year.

WarPig

sonycowboy said:
All of this being sold, I think GT is going to have a craptacular launch if it happens this year.

I'd say that underestimates the mainstream appeal of the series. It'll lose some enthusiast sales to all the other big hits coming out before it this fall, but it still has a gigantic following of non-hardcore gamers.

It would probably do better next year. Japan is the only territory where it really NEEDS to come out this year, I think, because Sony has sweet fuck all else this quarter. But I'm sure Sony doesn't want to have to split its focus next March or whatever between launching the PSP and promoting GT4.

DFS.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If its delayed to add more content and online play, I have no problem. If they don't add at least online play, I will be very disapointed.

Shinobi

Gek54 said:
TOCA2 people Toca2!

Hell yeah.

As for GT4, they should add online play and be done with it. The game is gonna sell regardless of when it's released, so why not put in a couple extra months and ship it right?

Reminds me kinda of holidays 1999, I was working retail and had to field so many damn questions about Gran Turismo 2 coming out in December of that year or not (it did make it out, but just barely in time for the Christmas rush).

PS2 KID

I wish Polyphony would just buy a way bigger building and hire 80 more people (The team is only 80 people? Such a small team for a huge game.). Then buy the building next door and turn it into a garage so they can keep all those cool cars in there for re-measurement and photography! Then rent a race track to test them on! ANYTHING to help speed up their releases!

Soul4ger

WarPig said:
It would probably do better next year. Japan is the only territory where it really NEEDS to come out this year, I think, because Sony has sweet fuck all else this quarter. But I'm sure Sony doesn't want to have to split its focus next March or whatever between launching the PSP and promoting GT4.

DFS.

They should just cancel the PS2 version, and put their focus on launching the PSP with GT4. That's what I think, from a completely sound business perspective!

Gek54

Soul4ger said:
They should just cancel the PS2 version, and put their focus on launching the PSP with GT4. That's what I think, from a completely sound business perspective!

Good god, I hope you are not any kind of buisness manager.

Wyzdom said:
I had to quote that, people can't read it enough.

By the way Gek, when will i be able to kick your ass online??

Yeah I went to get another NA but Ace Combat 5 Jumped me and stole my cash. Its in the budget for next month though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
scola said:
Gamestop release date was sometime in January as of yesterday.

I'm a little upset, but that's the best thing for my wallet. Only other great game I see coming out in January is Resident Evil 4.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
meh. stupid memory, could have been Feb as well. All I remember is that it no longer said December, and had a date in 05 ;)

FortNinety said:
The way the Sony rep worded it to me, I highly doubt GT4 is going to see online.

Here's a hint about "reps" that go to game stores. And I can say this with absolute confidence. They don't know a damn thing.

They get paid crap and there job is to drive to 10-15 stores a day making sure the point-of-purchase materials, posters, signs, demos are up and running. They are the mules of the industry. Now, they might be nice enough, read alot of message boards like us, but they aren't given any confidential information whatsoever.

FYI: The same thing is true for district managers.

Top Bottom