• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power over ethernet and online gaming...any experience?

j-wood

With my current house setup, I have to have the internet modem upstairs, and my PS4 and media center is in the living room downstairs, all of it using wi-fi.

I really want to have better remote play connections when I'm outside the home, and I assume not being wireless on the PS4 will help this. I do have a really good wireless router though, and using the PS4 internet connection test I get 20 down and 4.5 up on wireless. On my hardwired PC though I get like 60 down and 8 up.

So it seems my options are:

1. Move my cable modem/router downstairs and use a splitter with my cable TV. It seems like this would degrade my connection though?

2. Purchase those powerline ethernet adapters to have it go over my electrical system. Would this honestly provide a better option than wireless?

mcrommert

Banned
Just to let you know...power over ethernet is a thing that you aren't talking about...you are talking about ethernet over power...or powerline

Also powerline has gotten really good..and it should be more than adequate for any time of online gaming...can often be better than wireless

Zelkian

Neo Member
I've personally had a better experience using POE adapters than wireless when in comes to consoles.

It's been quicker and more reliable overall and I've been using them for years now.

The only thing I've heard that could be a problem is how your power lines are layed out in your house, but I don't know the technical details beyond newer houses will work better.

I've been using Netgear POE adapters only and they've treated me well. The only problem I've ever had is on a very rare occasion one of the adapters will just turn off, but unplugging it, then re-plugging it back in fixes that.

edit: I learned its called powerline now too

Nafai1123

Banned
I'd just go for option 1. You're technically splitting your cable connection already since you have your TV downstairs and modem upstairs.

dude819

I use it and, while I don't get the full speed of a true wired connection, it is a very big leap over wireless.

My setup: Fios with 75 Mbps down and their mandatory (and terrible) router that is only a/b/g. I use tplink powerline units and get about 40 Mbps down on my XB1 and PS4.

DTU

Banned
I have my PS4 hooked up to a TP-Link switch, which is hooked up to a TP-Link Ethernet over Power adapter, which goes up a flight (same circuit), to the other end, to a router. No problems at all. They're amazing.

The Flash

Banned
I use a gigabit powerline adapter from TP-Link that's plugged into a 5 port gigabit ethernet switch. My XB1, Wii U, and PC all work flawlessly.

SLV

Do these work over three phase electricity regular home setup ? Lets say 2nd floor is one phase, basement is another, theoretically they are on different phases and dont share the same grid completely ? (Europe)

The Flash

Banned
How can I tell if two outlets are on the same circuit? Do they need to be on the same breaker switch?

Do you live in an apartment or house? I just moved out of a small two bedroom apartment and am now in a townhouse. My adapters worked in both locations.

Karak

I use them in a couple places in the home all of which have game systems running off them. They work tremendously well.

Starviper

Powerline adapters are great and work SO MUCH better than wireless in cases like this. I had my main PC in my room hooked up using a pair of D-link powerline adapters, worked perfectly. I'd get 25-30ms ping times in Counter Strike: GO using them, where over wifi i'd get rubberbanding and 85 ms.

stuminus3

I use Powerline adaptors on both my own and my son's PCs and they've been fantastic, no latency issues in gaming whatsoever. On paper still not nearly as good as actual ethernet, of course - but not that you'd really notice in practice.

funo

The throughput (and ping) of Powerline connections heavily depends on your electricity lines and there's many differnet factors that influence the quality of the connection (differen phases etc.)

I've tried 4 different brands of adapters at my place (TP-Link, Zyxel, Netgear, Devolo - all 1gbit+ adapters) and all of them lost their connection or crashed or were so slow that even 1080p streaming wasn't possible every now and then

I ended up buying a standard ethernet cable (the slim ones that go under doors and that you can easily hide in corners and under carpets etc.) and now happily enjoy gigabit ethernet all over the house.

Bottom line: I still think that powerline needs a couple of years to be completely reliable/fast/lag free. (but it might work in your electric circuit)

I use it and, while I don't get the full speed of a true wired connection, it is a very big leap over wireless.

My setup: Fios with 75 Mbps down and their mandatory (and terrible) router that is only a/b/g. I use tplink powerline units and get about 40 Mbps down on my XB1 and PS4.

They have a new one that is dual band and has ac. Its 200 to buy or like 10 a month to rent. I bought it for my house andy speeds improved pretty drastically, except I have nothing with ac yet :(

An adjunct question, has anyone used RemotePlay on the PSTV with a power line connection?

PS4 plugged into router, PSTV on the power line.

Top Bottom