• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PR]Fatal1ty to be Doom 3 World Champion in Book of Records

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
As DOOM 3 moves dramatically across the gaming landscape, Johnathan "Fatal1ty" Wendell will be recognized as DOOM 3's first world champion in the pages of the forthcoming Twin Galaxies' Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World Records, the industry's official record book.

"DOOM 3 is a big event," admits Walter Day, Twin Galaxies' Chief Editor, "and we're glad that our editorial deadline allowed us to document the launch of this title. And, with no other big DOOM 3 showdowns coming before the book's publishing deadline, we are sure that Fatal1ty will be the only DOOM 3 celebrity in the book."

But, Fatal1ty will not be revered in the book just for his DOOM 3 conquest. His eventful career will be the focus of a career biography -- the most extensive one in the book, which notes his 3 CPL championships, his famous showdowns and his current world tour.

In a recent news release issued by Terpin Communications, an L.A-based publicity firm representing Johnathan Wendell, it was announced that "Fatal1ty, the world's best known PC gamer, is heading to Europe for a 35-day tour of six countries, after capturing the $25,000 prize for taking first place in the inauguaral DOOM 3 Deathmatch at QuakeCon 2004. Fatal1ty (Johnathan Wendel) will participate in ABIT Fatal1ty Shootouts in each location at which he appears. Fatal1ty Shootouts give European gamers the opportunity to challenge the 3-time CPL Champion to 1v1 matches for an aray of prizes."

Reflecting on Fatal1ty's growing fame, Day says: "We have had Fatal1ty on our radar for some time. Only recently did we finally catch up to him at the 2004 Summer Cyberathlete Extreme World Championships to give him his long-overdue award certificate for his 2002 CPL victory in UT2003. He will also be receiving a certificate for his DOOM 3 victory."

In addition to honoring Fatal1ty's career -- a career which has attracted more media coverage than any other PC gamer in the world -- the forthcoming record book, deadline date not yet finalized, will give maximum recognition to the winners of all major PC championships in the U.S., Europe and Asia during the last five years.

The 2nd edition of Twin Galaxies' Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World Records is a two-volume set published by 1st World Library of Austin, TX. The combined set, totaling 1500 pages, will encompass the global spectrum of electronic gaming, commemorating the entire history of competitive video game and pinball playing, from the 1970s to the 21st Century.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
AeroGod said:
He might be able to beat me in any FPS game, but does he know what a vagina looks like?

Quote of the f'n day.

Ferrio said:
The guy wins loads of cash for playing games. Ya let's mock the fucker.

Remember where you are... why should we be happy for the sucess of someone else? Now if he was part of this forum....

shuri

Banned
Holy fuck this is beyond fucking retarded. I believe the quakecon tournament happened like 3 days after the game came out, Fatal1ty prolly had access beta builds for weeks with all the corporate sponsorship he has.

Ferrio said:
The guy wins loads of cash for playing games. Ya let's mock the fucker.
Have you seen the guy? I don't care if someone makes a good wage cleaning up elephant shit, I'm still going to laugh at him for doing so. Same goes for being a professional videogame player.

Ferrio

Banned
Mike Works said:
Have you seen the guy? I don't care if someone makes a good wage cleaning up elephant shit, I'm still going to laugh at him for doing so. Same goes for being a professional videogame player.

Yes but you see this isn't a forum dedicated to the love of elephant shit cleaning.

Ferrio said:
Yes but you see this isn't a forum dedicated to the love of elephant shit cleaning.
This isn't a forum dedicated to people who play in professional videogame tournaments as a career either.

Ferrio

Banned
My point is you're laughing at a guy that makes tons of money doing the things we do as a hobby. He gets paid for PLAYING.

Ferrio said:
My point is you're laughing at a guy that makes tons of money doing the things we do as a hobby. He gets paid for PLAYING.
Yes, I guess no one should ever criticize or make fun of Carrot Top, Pauly Shore, John Edwards, or anyone else because they make money doing shit easy jobs! Terrific logic!

Matlock

Banned
Mike Works said:
Have you seen the guy?

fatal1ty.jpg

yo yo yo straight out of Linkin

Mike Works said:
Yes, I guess no one should ever criticize or make fun of Carrot Top, Pauly Shore, John Edwards, or anyone else because they make money doing shit easy jobs! Terrific logic!
But again, this is Gaming-Age. Not Shitty-Comedian-and-Charlatan-Age.

SyNapSe

DSN2K said:
I wonder if he got the chance to play the game before everyone else ? :|

No doubt he did. How the hell can there be a tournament so soon after release.. at least one that's supposed to prove mastery of a game.

JoshuaJSlone said:
But again, this is Gaming-Age. Not Shitty-Comedian-and-Charlatan-Age.
So no comedian is allowed to criticize nor ridicule Carrot Top or Pauly Shore because they're comedians too?

I think we can all agree, at the very least, that naming a world champion for game released a month ago is a bit premature.

It's the difference between making someone work for it and prove themselves like Valle, Umehara, and Wong have done over and over, and a shady PR stunt that only serves to disenchant the real gaming audience.

DarienA

Ferrio said:

...somebody's in love....

border

I don't see why he must absolutely be respected, but I don't see why he really needs to be made fun of. He is certainly not analogous to someone like Carrot Top (subjectively "bad") or John Edwards (morally ambiguous pseudo-trickster).

He's objectively at the top of his field.....more analogous to a high-level athlete than some untalented entertainer. I don't really get where the hate comes from.....is it jealousy or has he done something to piss people off?

This Doom 3 thing is a bit cheesy, and more likely just some kind of cross-company promotion bullshit between id, activision, the CPL, and the people trying to publish this book.

DarienA

border said:
He's objectively at the top of his field.....more analogous to a high-level athlete

And that's where I stopped reading your post.

WarPig

border said:
This Doom 3 thing is a bit cheesy, and more likely just some kind of cross-company promotion bullshit between id, activision, the CPL, and the people trying to publish this book.

In fact, that's exactly what it is.

Fatality is a lot smarter than Thresh, the last professional gamer to try and market himself. He has much more realistic ambitions and expectations. Fatality just got himself a publicist and some hardware licensing deals, whereas Thresh got too big for his britches and wound up wasting grillions of dollars in venture capital.

I was lucky enough to get the Gamers.com sales pitch from Thresh back in 2000, and woo-ha, did that guy have his head in the clouds...

DFS.

border

Was Fatal1ty the guy that they profiled on MTV's "I'm a Gamer" show?

What is Thresh up to? I know gamers.com went bust and all, but why doesn't he get back into the pro gaming leagues?
DarienA said:
And that's where I stopped reading your post.
Why? He's certainly more like an athlete than a friggin' comedian. Substitute "chess/poker player" for "athlete" if it really bothers you that much. Unless he's some sort of bastard, I wouldn't expect a gaming forum to have many jeers for him. Nobody was this spiteful when that SF3 Super Parry video got posted.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
border said:
Was Fatal1ty the guy that they profiled on MTV's "I'm a Gamer" show?.

Yeah. The teddy bear attracts the chicks! :p

I think Thresh runs some company..Xfire I think it's called. Basically a gaming league/community of some sort

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mike Works said:
This isn't a forum dedicated to people who play in professional videogame tournaments as a career either.
FUCK IT ISN'T?

Puts away his Mike Works 2004 Pro Gamer banner.

:(

You were a hero to my kids... *sniffle*

WarPig

Wario64 said:
I think Thresh runs some company..Xfire I think it's called. Basically a gaming league/community of some sort

Yeah, some competitive gaming deal or another. He doesn't actually compete at contemporary games anymore that I know of -- he pretty much dropped off that map after Quake III hit.

DFS.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So out of the five people actually playing multiplayer Doom 3, he's the best. Congradulations, Mr. Punyverse...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ManDudeChild said:
I'm not up to date on the whole "professional gaming" scene. Why's he hated so?

Me neither, but I know about this guy. There were whole threads full of hate for him back on the old board, I remember when he was auctioning off a day of "training" or some crap with him; that was great. Having seen a little of him on that "True Life," I can't really say it's totally unwarranted either.

Mike Works said:
So no comedian is allowed to criticize nor ridicule Carrot Top or Pauly Shore because they're comedians too?
Sure they can. But if their sole point of contention is that people shouldn't be paid for being funny, I'd still say it was a stupid complaint.

Top Bottom